• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
The kicking one is canon from sonic battle and is called "Sonic Flare". Although the PM version is more like Double Sonic Flare.
I don't really care one way or the other. (Well, that's a lie, but if I really don't like it, I can just change it back myself on my own game, so I don't care if it changes. If other people like it, then %^$ what I have to say.) I just kind of want to point out that saying that move is canon because it's in that game is like saying moves from Smash are canon. Really, what is "canon" is largely personal opinion.

And whether or not it's canon doesn't really change my opinion that they swapped a move that is generic in a Sonic sense for one that is generic in the sense that it's entirely reminiscent of Mario and Luigi's down smashes, even if it is based on a "canon" move. I just don't see why that was a priority/how it's better. Seems like a pretty lateral change as far as I'm concerned.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I think he wants to be able to use up/side-B as an attack next to the ledge without automatically grabbing it.
this is my line of thinking. like, you could safely grapple the ledge, but the opponent is still above you and could do something. so, you decide to sideb him off the ledge, then grapple with up b as you fall below.

that's where i wasn't sure if it was really much of an option, metagame-wise. i don't know if zamus needs that option or if she would even want it.

cmart

Smash Lord
I don't really care one way or the other. (Well, that's a lie, but if I really don't like it, I can just change it back myself on my own game, so I don't care if it changes. If other people like it, then %^$ what I have to say.) I just kind of want to point out that saying that move is canon because it's in that game is like saying moves from Smash are canon. Really, what is "canon" is largely personal opinion.

And whether or not it's canon doesn't really change my opinion that they swapped a move that is generic in a Sonic sense for one that is generic in the sense that it's entirely reminiscent of Mario and Luigi's down smashes, even if it is based on a "canon" move. I just don't see why that was a priority/how it's better. Seems like a pretty lateral change as far as I'm concerned.
I agree that wether or not a move is canon or not shouldn't really be that important for consideration of any move. Still, the new Sonic downsmash is actually quite cool - it's more like a souped up "sonic'fied" breakdance than a straight port of anything the plumbers get, and as Sonic has for years been their classic counterpoint - is there anything wrong with him getting something similar to theirs but better? That sounds like Sonic to me anyway.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Im not quoting dr pp but i see a "its just not melee" answer coming out of this.
Anyway i want to say GRATZ to the PMBR on what you have done for tethering its going to make for some very interesting matches lol
^That's what I see as well. Frankly at this point, what's left to transfer over from Melee? I know there are Melee tethers still, but that doesn't affect Falco at all.

metroid1117

Smash Master
^That's what I see as well. Frankly at this point, what's left to transfer over from Melee? I know there are Melee tethers still, but that doesn't affect Falco at all.
Momentum-based teching and airdodges activating on frame 1 are the biggest mechanics I can think of. The P:M camera and animations are slightly different from Melee as well.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I agree that wether or not a move is canon or not shouldn't really be that important for consideration of any move. Still, the new Sonic downsmash is actually quite cool - it's more like a souped up "sonic'fied" breakdance than a straight port of anything the plumbers get, and as Sonic has for years been their classic counterpoint - is there anything wrong with him getting something similar to theirs but better? That sounds like Sonic to me anyway.
Nah, there's nothing wrong with it. It's not like I hate it; I'm just kind of bewildered that they thought it needed an animation change. I guess my idea of Sonic is just different. Oh well, like I said, it's no big deal to me, as I can just change it back for personal use. I was just curious what everyone else thought.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I wasn't able set it up until around 9 or so. I played with The Good Doctor, Apple, SpooN, Slimpyman, and two other guys who decided not to use tags. I played for about an hour before I spent time with Oro and Zwarm because I don't see them often. :p

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
I noticed in some streams that Fox has his wait animation changed to Melee (which looks great) but a lot of the animations that lead into the wait animation are unchanged (which looks awkward) Is this a WIP or just experimental?

Spoon~

Smash Ace
I wasn't able set it up until around 9 or so. I played with The Good Doctor, Apple, SpooN, Slimpyman, and two other guys who decided not to use tags. I played for about an hour before I spent time with Oro and Zwarm because I don't see them often. :p
Yeah barely got any matches in, wish we could have gotten it set up wayyy sooner. Good melee matches though, get roy'd. ;)

Revven

FrankerZ
I noticed in some streams that Fox has his wait animation changed to Melee (which looks great) but a lot of the animations that lead into the wait animation are unchanged (which looks awkward) Is this a WIP or just experimental?
It's... I don't know, really. It's not in the main Fox however for a reason.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I used to hate it but now I just don't care anymore. Also what Octorox just said.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
I mean, it's about the personality of the character. His Melee wait animation is cool and collected while his Brawl wait animation is scrappy and energetic.
In that case the brawl wait animations fit better considering the way he plays and looks. small and scrappy. Although you could say his acutual personanlity is calm but his play style is scrappy but meh whatever both animations are fine to me.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
In that case the brawl wait animations fit better considering the way he plays and looks. small and scrappy. Although you could say his acutual personanlity is calm but his play style is scrappy but meh whatever both animations are fine to me.
No way man. Fox has to play ON POINT. A master of fox has to be calm, cool and collected to be good. A scrappy fox is doomed to be on the wrong end of a combo video. js

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Uh, doesn't that sum up any character? You can't mash buttons and win tournaments, despite what 4chan trolls say.
Either way, Fox is an ace pilot who has a precise, in control style about him that contrasts with Wolf's sloppy visceral style. I think his Melee animation better fits that.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
This all sounds like retconning to me. You're reading all this "calm and collected" stuff into what is really just a crappy animation that they obviously didn't spend much time on in Melee, because the game was too rushed to really worry about how the wait animations looked. They spiced it up for Brawl and actually made him look like he's ready for a fight.

I don't think his Brawl animation makes him look any less "in control." In fact, I think it makes him look much more ready to react quickly and precisely.

I think some people just prefer the melee animations and are making up bs reasons why, possibly not even realizing it's just a rationalization. For instance, what I said above is total rationalization. I just think the Brawl animation is more interesting is what it comes down to.

:phone:

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
This all sounds like retconning to me. You're reading all this "calm and collected" stuff into what is really just a crappy animation that they obviously didn't spend much time on in Melee, because the game was too rushed to really worry about how the wait animations looked. They spiced it up for Brawl and actually made him look like he's ready for a fight.

I don't think his Brawl animation makes him look any less "in control." In fact, I think it makes him look much more ready to react quickly and precisely.

I think some people just prefer the melee animations and are making up bs reasons why, possibly not even realizing it's just a rationalization. For instance, what I said above is total rationalization. I just think the Brawl animation is more interesting is what it comes down to.

I just looked at the slowed down Brawl wait animation again and you're right, It's definitely more of a fighting stance. I still stand by my analysis when it comes to the vBrawl wait animation though.

There is one Fox animation that I think should more importantly be changed though, and that's when Fox fires his blaster in midair. I'm really not a fan of the Brawl animation for that.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
lol @ Melee being rushed and Brawl not

anyways, i know I'll be using melee fox animation when Ds22 is done with it :)

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Fox's air N-B was an animation I was going to get to. In vBrawl he looks like he's having a midair seizure.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
How often are you guys waiting with Fox anyway? You probably won't see that animation for more than a cumulative second during a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom