• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't really think anyone in the PMBR can make this argument without seriously calling into question several other decisions the body as a whole has made.

I've already said that this isn't really relevant at all. You don't need to push it on me.
Essentially, PMBR is who decides what skill is by how we program the game. Your opinion has been voiced and we will consider it, but CCing is an AT nonetheless and is very effective for many characters that aren't even top tier such as Samus, Mario, DK, and Peach.

I do what I want.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
CCing is an AT nonetheless and is very effective for many characters that aren't even top tier such as Samus, Mario, DK, and Peach.
And they can still have it. You just have to be able to time the CC by SDIing down when you are hit, as opposed to just holding down when your opponent is about to throw out a CCable attack. I personally feel that my suggestion is more in keeping with the particular skill set that P:M is meant to test, that is, precise timing and execution.

Think of it like the slashback in Guilty Gear. You gain a massive advantage at a cost, through a very precise input.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
ASDI down and CC aren't the same thing. True CC will keep you from being slapped around at much higher KBs than ASDI.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I have not kept up with this in a while. Is there some sort of release to this? And How is Peach in this so far?

GPDP

Smash Ace
Whats wrong with the public demo?
It's old. Really, really old. The next release will basically play and feel nothing like it, so why bother? It was good as a demonstration of what they had been able to do up until that point, but now there's no reason to play it when a vastly superior product is on the horizon.

While you're waiting, you might as well play Melee.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
^What he said. And watch streams while you're waiting too. If you just try out the demo once, even if only to see how outdated it it, you can see the progress that they've made in the past 8 months. Plus you'll be able to see all the characters that aren't in the demo, and even some who have changed since the demo.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
It is mostly because the battle system will have some drastic enough improvements to be game-changing. The future demo will be much closer to what the game will feel like in the final release. Of course, this will only be an alpha build and we will be counting on all of you to bring up any concern you may have with it :).

GPDP

Smash Ace
Say... when would the game be considered to be in Beta? Once all the desired mechanics are in place?

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
It is mostly because the battle system will have some drastic enough improvements to be game-changing. The future demo will be much closer to what the game will feel like in the final release. Of course, this will only be an alpha build and we will be counting on all of you to bring up any concern you may have with it :).
Speaking of that, It might be better if you guys promote the next demo as a "public alpha" rather than a "demo". I feel like demo has the connotation of being a sampling of the finished product which I feel caused some confusion around the previous demo.

shanus

Smash Hero
Unless this thread has been obsoleted by some new information, I'm going to assume you haven't done your research.
that thread has some clear misinformation:

Crouch Cancelling :

CCing is what happens when you're crouching while taking a hit.
It tremendously reduces the knockback of the move, reduces the hitlag, and the move is weakened so you must be at higher %age to tech it (or it makes the move completely untechable, like Fox's shine)

You have to be crouching to crouch cancel, if you're not crouching you're not crouch cancelling.

Usually you're DIing down with the control stick when you're CCing, which makes you ASDI down on the weakened move, thus makes you land right after the hitlag (or bounce on the ground if you're at high %age) :
CCing weakens the move and ASDI down makes you stay grounded.
First, this is simply untrue. The action of ASDI'ing down generates a negative velocity component downward which is additive to your hitstun velocity. Therefore, you do not have to be a in a crouch at all for CC'ing to work, you simply need to hit down for "crouchless" CCing to trigger. The reason everyone calls it crouch canceling is that when you CC, you are canceling hitstun action 44 (weak - launching hitstun non-tumble) into hard landing, and since they are holding down, you typically enter crouch. Additionally, crouching gives you the most bang for your buck as it reduces knockback by 1/3, giving you higher durations of effective CCing.

All-in-all, I'm fairly sure An Easy Frag (Ryoko) knows all of this as he is in the PMBR and plays with Magus fairly regularly, but I'm pretty sure you don't know all the subtleties behind it since you didn't have to build CCing from scratch.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
CCing shuts down Ike's jab options for the most part, forcing me to use jab only as an anti-air at best.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Already jumped ahead on that notion. I guess it's nice an Ike can't just jab cancel you all day.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
First, this is simply untrue. The action of ASDI'ing down generates a negative velocity component downward which is additive to your hitstun velocity. Therefore, you do not have to be a in a crouch at all for CC'ing to work, you simply need to hit down for "crouchless" CCing to trigger. The reason everyone calls it crouch canceling is that when you CC, you are canceling hitstun action 44 (weak - launching hitstun non-tumble) into hard landing, and since they are holding down, you typically enter crouch. Additionally, crouching gives you the most bang for your buck as it reduces knockback by 1/3, giving you higher durations of effective CCing.
Maybe you should read it again. You literally just repeated what that post says about CCing. At least, the understanding of CCing that I get from your post is precisely the understanding I get from the post I linked.

Incidentally, I don't see what this has to do with the idea of taking out ASDI and making it so that these actions can only be performed through SDI.

shanus

Smash Hero
Maybe you should read it again. You literally just repeated what that post says about CCing. At least, the understanding of CCing that I get from your post is precisely the understanding I get from the post I linked.

Incidentally, I don't see what this has to do with the idea of taking out ASDI and making it so that these actions can only be performed through SDI.
Re-read my post again then. There are clear differences (even just the flat out basics of his statement regarding crouch canceling are false). You do realize SDI doesn't even add to velocity components right (and the implications of if it did)?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Re-read my post again then. There are clear differences (even just the flat out basics of his statement regarding crouch canceling are false).
Maybe you should elucidate the clear differences. All I see is maybe some imprecise language. He says,

It tremendously reduces the knockback of the move, reduces the hitlag, and the move is weakened so you must be at higher %age to tech it
This is really just redundant. It may not reduce the hitlag (is that what you mean?) but that's not really relevant. But lower knockback means you can't tech until higher percentages, so he's basically repeating himself.

You have to be crouching to crouch cancel, if you're not crouching you're not crouch cancelling.
This constitutes a definition. It is used to distinguish CCing from ASDIing into the ground. The two concepts may be conflated today, but perhaps more than five years ago, when the post was written, that wasn't the case. Instead of declaring his definition to be false, and insisting that your definition be used retroactively, adopt his for the time it takes you to read the post.

Usually you're DIing down with the control stick when you're CCing, which makes you ASDI down on the weakened move, thus makes you land right after the hitlag
While saying "DIing down" is not entirely accurate, the core meaning of what he's saying is identical to what you said: The action of holding the control stick down to CC results in downward ASDI. The ASDI's velocity, subtracted from the reduced knockback due to CCing, causes you to land immediately after hitlag ends. Like I said: it's imprecise, but it's not patently false.

CCing weakens the move and ASDI down makes you stay grounded.
100% fact right there.

You do realize SDI doesn't even add to velocity components right (and the implications of if it did)?
I suspected SDI didn't add velocity components. I realize this gets into the theory of coding this, but I like to try to think through these things before dismissing them out of hand. Perhaps only the first SDI input could add velocity?

I can understand if there isn't the will to make that work. But you can just say that, rather than the patronizing I'm getting now.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Can we not just say... crouch cancelling was an important part of the melee environment therefore it will be kept in because this project is trying to emulate melee?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Can we not just say... crouch cancelling was an important part of the melee environment therefore it will be kept in because this project is trying to emulate melee?
Yeah if we're keeping L-cancelling on that basis it only makes sense.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
How can you make that judgement from... watching? Feeling means you've played it... and I'm pretty sure you haven't unless it's the demo so....?
Since you're a developer, you should tell us; how much does the current build feel like Melee to you?

humble

Smash Ace
Hey guys, with all the hints you've been dropping, and the hype you're building, I wanted to ask; how many times per second should I mash F5, awaiting awesomeness?

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom