• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecks

Smash Lord
This thread is now about Rihanna's forehead.

...Seriously guys let it go already.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
@ Cero regarding the Haxpost

We discussed this on Melee SotG Thursday. Dr. PP, Leffen, Taj and Kage all agreed that it was off base. The argument he was putting forth seemed to be very very limited and not at all normative or descriptive of Melee as a whole. The Haxpost isn't some consensus among the "higher ups", but rather seems to be limited to a very small minority of pros. There is nothing to worry about regarding core Melee mechanics, we should keep all of them as they are.

ALL OF THEM.

Except phantom hits.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Doesn't PM use Brawl phantom hits? Where if a move just doesn't hit, instead of just doing damage, it just DOESN'T HIT?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Doesn't PM use Brawl phantom hits? Where if a move just doesn't hit, instead of just doing damage, it just DOESN'T HIT?
Yes and it is preferred to the silly nonsense that is hearing and seeing the whole move hit and seeing it set them on fire, whatever and it not hitting. Hit or don't hit.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Or maybe it is just that xyz character's are now finalized. It doesn't seem that there have been any major mechanic breakthroughs for months.
That's why it's more likely that they made a major breakthrough recently, judging by shanus's post.

MaxThunder

PM Support
Why would they want to play a game made deliberately bad?

Not to mention they really could "Just play Brawl." or Balanced Brawl.
i know of a guy who likes doctor mario and pichu, but he doesn't really like melee cause it's too fast for him... and his friends seemed to agree... nuff' said...

Cero

Smash Lord
@ Cero regarding the Haxpost

We discussed this on Melee SotG Thursday. Dr. PP, Leffen, Taj and Kage all agreed that it was off base. The argument he was putting forth seemed to be very very limited and not at all normative or descriptive of Melee as a whole. The Haxpost isn't some consensus among the "higher ups", but rather seems to be limited to a very small minority of pros. There is nothing to worry about regarding core Melee mechanics, we should keep all of them as they are.

ALL OF THEM.

Except phantom hits.
Alright. Although I haven't watched that episode, I'll just have faith in the game that I haven't gotten tired of playing for over 10 years and I'll believe in the pros who have shaped the metagame into what it is today.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
i know of a guy who likes doctor mario and pichu, but he doesn't really like melee cause it's too fast for him... and his friends seemed to agree... nuff' said...
That's BS. I thought the same thing yet I'm steadily working on my Falco.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
That's obviously not true, and if it was then your friends don't deserve Dr.Mario and Pichu.

MaxThunder

PM Support
^^Actually that is true... and i didn't say he's my friend either... only spoke to the guy at a few concerts...
i'm almost ashamed of having fans like him though...

Revven

FrankerZ
It's actually officially called "Glancing Blows", which are basically just the very edge of the hitbox "hitting" the opponent. Showing how close you were to hitting them but weren't close enough to actually make the hitbox connect.

Totally different from what phantom hits are in Melee afaik.

NintendoxFighter

Smash Rookie
HAI GUISE!
I just had a quick question. My wii is version 4 and I was wondering if I were to (system) update my wii if It would brick the system or just get rid of homebrew?
Also, I heard lucario will be in the next demo. Any chance there will be another additional character?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Updating your system will get rid of Homebrew. There's no real reason to update, anyways... Not to mention ways to do it that won't ruin homebrew. Go check out GBAtemp or something.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
HAI GUISE!
I just had a quick question. My wii is version 4 and I was wondering if I were to (system) update my wii if It would brick the system or just get rid of homebrew?
Also, I heard lucario will be in the next demo. Any chance there will be another additional character?
You never really need to update, it's usually just "behind the scene changes" that don't do anything but take away homebrew. I was really sad when they did the update that didn't let my Wii run DVD's anymore :(

Ecks

Smash Lord
You can update the nintendo channels via pimp my wii (google it) without having to update your system.

:phone:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Aside from the 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade which added the SD card channel that lets you run VC games from there, there hasn't been a visible reason to update your Wii at all. Most of the updates are just bug fixes or system tweaks, with the added bonus of removing homebrew when you update. You don't need to update unless they actually add new features.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I'm partnered with/sponsored by Twitch.tv now

So I hope to bring you guys my first moneymakin stream tonight! =DD

D

Deleted member

It's actually officially called "Glancing Blows", which are basically just the very edge of the hitbox "hitting" the opponent. Showing how close you were to hitting them but weren't close enough to actually make the hitbox connect.

Totally different from what phantom hits are in Melee afaik.
Remove that **** anyway.

Its ****ing annoying in Melee.

Also if you forwards smash phantom hit anything with Marth they should just instantly lose a stock. It's the most tippinest of tippers.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Glancing Blows are aesthetic only. They don't actually do anything other than remind you that you "almost" hit them. Phantom hits, on the other hand, were just trolls.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
awesome, how did you manage that and what does it mean for the project?

edit: just seen the new advert, congrats :)
Managed very carefully =D

It doesn't mean jack sh*t for the project unless they want to promote through me or something like that. At least it means you'll get to see more of the project! haha

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Phantom Hits were hilarious. People are just salty about it, and want to believe they deserve all or nothing.

Otherwise, I think ASDI should be done away with, while SDI is kept. This makes it so you actually have to be skilled to CC ****, rather than any random being able to crouch and nullify half the cast.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
um we can make CC not nullify half the cast by making that half of the cast not ****.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You could do that. I think it's a pretty lofty goal, but you can certainly try.

And at the same time, you could still make it so that it requires skill. The two aren't mutually exclusive goals.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Glancing Blows are aesthetic only. They don't actually do anything other than remind you that you "almost" hit them. Phantom hits, on the other hand, were just trolls.
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between "glancing hits" and "phantom hits"? Are glancing hits the hits in Brawl that have the "spark" whereas phantom hits in Melee do 1/2 damage and no knockback? If so, then when do they occur in terms of the positioning of hit/hurtboxes? I thought phantom hits in Melee occurred when an attack's hitbox was tangential to an opponent's hurtbox, is that not the case for a glancing hit?

By the way, I saw Ike being played on a stream last week and I LOVE what you guys did to Quickdraw. It looks legitimately useful and interesting now, I'm dying to try it out in the next public release :). Can you cancel QD with anything other than a grab or jump?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
^Glancing blows are a bit further from tangential. The rest of your deduction was correct.
You could do that. I think it's a pretty lofty goal, but you can certainly try.

And at the same time, you could still make it so that it requires skill. The two aren't mutually exclusive goals.
Who decides what skill is? You're subjectively saying that CCing requires no skill, but indeed, playing to win in the game within its constraints is an objective way to determine skill, regardless of the timing/technical ability required to do so.

Besides, CCing isn't unbeatable. Grab always beats it, and most characters that aren't **** have moves that nullify CC.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Who decides what skill is? You're subjectively saying that CCing requires no skill, but indeed, playing to win in the game within its constraints is an objective way to determine skill, regardless of the timing/technical ability required to do so.
I don't really think anyone in the PMBR can make this argument without seriously calling into question several other decisions the body as a whole has made.

Besides, CCing isn't unbeatable. Grab always beats it, and most characters that aren't **** have moves that nullify CC.
I've already said that this isn't really relevant at all. You don't need to push it on me.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
^Glancing blows are a bit further from tangential. The rest of your deduction was correct.

If Phantom hits won't be in PM, will tangential hits be counted as full hits or misses?

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Has anyone here read Hax's thread talking about the approach flaws in Melee?

What's the PMBR's consensus on that? Do any of you find any truth in Hax's conclusions?

Could we alter some kind of universal mechanic in the game in order to make it easier to approach for all characters (such as increasing shield stun)?

Or is there no need?

Here's the thread for the people who haven't read it yet:
Don't Approach: Melee's Flaw Dissected
This is an interesting topic. I've always wondered if the PMBR ever considering adjusting CCing? To me, it seems like an arbitrarily simple technique for its strengths.

A possible change would be to make it so the CC effect lasts for only a certain amount of time. In other words, if a player crouches for more than one second, then the CC effect goes away. This would make CCing actually require slightly more timing. It also seems like the most likely change (if any) were to made to CCing.

Another possible change could be that only attacks dealing 12% or under can be CC'd during percents when possible (Not even sure if this is something that could be coded, but it seems to make sense in the respect that characters can no long CC smash attacks while giving them a defense against attacks such as Peach/Shiek's dash attack or Shiek's tilts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom