• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

crush

Smash Master
I got pm yesterday and I played it by myself a little today. After trying out kirby he doesn't really need better air mobility imo. Wolfs chaingrabs on the spacies are cool + is running out of shine the only way wolf can cancel his shine?

:phone:

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I got pm yesterday and I played it by myself a little today. After trying out kirby imo he doesn't really need better air mobility imo. Wolfs chaingrabs on the spacies are cool + is running out of shine the only way wolf can cancel his shine?

no you can ground cancel it but its really hard to do

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I got pm yesterday and I played it by myself a little today. After trying out kirby imo he doesn't really need better air mobility imo. Wolfs chaingrabs on the spacies are cool + is running out of shine the only way wolf can cancel his shine?

crush is a playtester?

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
There will finally be clear sound directly from the game on my streams from now on. I finally figured out how to do it with the dazzle. I've been researching hardcore on how to improve my stream quality and it seems to be paying off.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
One thing I noticed at Mass Madness yesterday is how many people are completely uninterested in this game. I heard a bunch of comments calling Project M "bad" or "stupid" from people who I know have never even played it once. It seems to me that if this is the kind of thing that naturally interests you, it's right here for you to enjoy, but for the rest of them, there hasn't been much effort into showing them what the game is capable of or how it plays exactly like Melee. Maybe I'm wrong and you have been trying to do that, but it looks like a lot of Melee players who don't want to try the game never will.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Or you can do the best you can to try and persuade them to play it. Tell them the fun things you did in PM, who you played with, etc. That might make them interested.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I think all of that will change as the project gets more popular. IMO, any Melee player who isn't even willing to try or at least read in detail what PM has achieved is just being stubborn.

I really can't see any other reason why they would be so negative about it. Not that it matters much, you guys remember how everyone and their mom was in this thread the day the demo was released?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
One thing I noticed at Mass Madness yesterday is how many people are completely uninterested in this game. I heard a bunch of comments calling Project M "bad" or "stupid" from people who I know have never even played it once. It seems to me that if this is the kind of thing that naturally interests you, it's right here for you to enjoy, but for the rest of them, there hasn't been much effort into showing them what the game is capable of or how it plays exactly like Melee. Maybe I'm wrong and you have been trying to do that, but it looks like a lot of Melee players who don't want to try the game never will.
we're focusing on the game itself for now, publicity/advertisement will come when a new version is ready for release. no point in trying to convince people to give the game a shot when the only thing available publicly is a comparatively ****ty demo.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I think Melee pro recognition will be an important factor in getting people to play it. If you have people like, uh, Hungrybox and Gimpyfish (and hopefully more) telling other Melee players that the game is actually good and feels like Melee 2, they'll be more likely to listen. Some people don't care about the opinion of a "random" who just picked up PM at a tournament, or the relatively unknown guys who are making the game.

Just getting them to play it is the hardest part. If they try it out and still choose to be uninterested, then at least that's an informed, valid opinion (though still stubborn depending on the reasoning that they give).

we're focusing on the game itself for now, publicity/advertisement will come when a new version is ready for release. no point in trying to convince people to give the game a shot when the only thing available publicly is a comparatively ****ty demo.
Yeah, I know that the PR is coming later, and you mentioned that you had a team for that. I'm just giving my thoughts on the public perception of it now, when there's no advertisement and it just spreads through word of mouth.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it was pretty easy to get people like RaynEX, Kage, Gimpyfish, Silent Wolf, Amsah, etc. into the game. even Mew2King had fun playing it even though he didn't want to risk messing up his Melee mains and opted to use Puff/Ganon a lot. I have no doubt that when we have a better release out we'll be getting several well-known players into it easily.
there was even a time when Lucky, Alex19 & Mango were playtesters. they eventually quit due to focusing on Melee but they seemed to enjoy it, so I'm sure when we get a more complete product out they'll be back =)

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
I like the feedback on wario I'm guessin he is going to be a fav I still can't wait to get my hands on him. Idk if someone can help but I'm lookin for the melée textures for c falcon the one they have on brawlvault are glitchy if you don't use the .PAC files that come with it help?

D

Deleted member

When I talk about this with the Melee players in my state, they just don't care, so we don't talk about it much while we play Melee. I make a habit of not discussing it with them unless somebody else talks about it first.

They are also quick to insult the project and quick to find stuff they don't like especially the changes made to top/high tier characters like ledge grab backwards or up smash on c-stick while dashing. They see any change to high tier characters absolutely unnecessary.

What I don't understand that they think is that it will be worse than Melee.

Nintendo and their team of incompetent mouth breathing **** ups accidentally made Melee. How can competitive smashers not make it better?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
melee wasn't an accident

but they didn't have 10 years of competitive metagame development to go off of to make the game balanced, lol.

D

Deleted member

Melee sure as hell wasn't built this way on purpose lol

From the perspectives of the player who deeply criticize and hate, I can kinda see what they're trying to getting at though.

They think that you guys may not know enough about Melee to replicate it and improve it or that you're doing the wrong things to try and improve Melee and taking it in the wrong direction.

The notion of changing Fox/Falco/Sheik or any other top/high tier characters is ridiculous to them.

DVDV28

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, IS Usmash out of dash being removed? I reckon doing that for all characters - Snake would be pretty cool, give him a gimmick that's not game breaking, but at the same time gamechanging.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Up-smash out of dash makes no difference lol, it takes like 1 less frame to do than a jump-cancelled up-smash out of dash afaik.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Those same people will be whining about "How come every character but -insert Melee top tier here- can b reversal/rar/turn around grab/grab the ledge backward?"

These are global mechanics and engine changes that apply to everyone and it would be unfair to exclude a character because "They're good enough already." 99% of every sequel try to keep what's good and add new, interesting mechanics. What's so bad about P:M doing the same?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
There's no winning with people who complain about stuff like that.
You keep Brawl stuff like b-reversing in (which is a cool mechanic that allows for some new strats without impacting gameplay too much) and they complain about it.
You take it out, and the game's too similar to Melee and they'll just play Melee, plus Brawl players will feel excluded.
If people are too blind to see something as an improvement (e.g. if they start complaining that Sheik doesn't have her NTSC down-throw) then that's their loss.

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
melee wasn't an accident

but they didn't have 10 years of competitive metagame development to go off of to make the game balanced, lol.
You call knocking Super Smash Brothers into a vat of chemical X with your elbow while trying to impress your friends by eating Doritos with your foot not an accident? : \

jalued

Smash Lord
Those same people will be whining about "How come every character but -insert Melee top tier here- can b reversal/rar/turn around grab/grab the ledge backward?"

These are global mechanics and engine changes that apply to everyone and it would be unfair to exclude a character because "They're good enough already." 99% of every sequel try to keep what's good and add new, interesting mechanics. What's so bad about P:M doing the same?

To be honest thuogh, some things such as grabbing the edge backwards just havnt been fixed yet and i think are planned to go. Being able to grab the ledge backwards from an airdodge etc just makes the game easier which is not what i want

Revven

FrankerZ
Correction, it's not air dodge that you're grabbing backwards from, it's special fall which is what air dodge transitions into once it finishes. So you can't grab backwards from an air dodge, but you can during special fall, a technical difference but I suppose technicalities don't matter for some people.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Indeed. But I was only involved the first few iterations of the game. I'm still a fan of the initiative though.
So I take it you're no longer a playtester? damn.

Time to step up my melee game and become a playtester myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom