• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Lizalfos

Smash Master
So when are we doing PMS D&D? I have free time because I made bad life decisions last semester/quarter.

Like seriously my classes are a joke now. I'd be better off like, meditating by myself on a rock.

I have a ton of time to read piano for dummies though hype.
Learn to live at school you nerd.

DnD would be fun at my school if the nerds weren't the ones playing it.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
...wasnt Damian Wayne black? He calls Batman "father"...

His voice and Cyborg looking boring AF are the only things that bother me. RIP anime titans

Edit: apparently he wasnt black, My life is a lie

Last edited:

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
whats getting your wisdom teeth getting pulled out like
because hah hah by tomorrow all four of those suckers wont be in my mouth

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
whats getting your wisdom teeth getting pulled out like
because hah hah by tomorrow all four of those suckers wont be in my mouth
It feels like death
because you'll be asleep and won't feel anything
Didn't anybody tell you you'll be anesthetized, it's basically mouth surgery
The next few weeks may be painless or hell depending on how your teeth were situated in your mouth tho

Last edited:

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
I don't claim to be an expert (like at all), but a lot of people like 5e because it's the simplest without sacrificing fun
  • Super easy to get into for both newcomers and veterans
  • A ton of flavor
  • Far less math thanks to stat limits, bounded accuracy, lack of need for magical weapons, and other **** I don't know yet
  • Partially due to above, superb class balance
  • Has purposely loose rules so as to allow individual flavor up the ass too
  • Somewhat encourages homebrew (they even give potential Aasimar stats to oppose the Tiefling in the DMG)
  • Far less feats than previous versions but they are all more powerful or combine multiple old feats in one to compensate
The only major mechanical downsides I know about 5e are the overall lack of customization compared to 3.5 and that the Ranger (notably Beast Master subclass) gets a bit shafted, but even then it's nothing extremely detrimental

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
Last year my wisdom teeth at the bottom half of my mouth were removed(top half hadn't grown in yet) and they did it without putting me to sleep and only one half of my face was properly anesthetized

I had to constantly be under the effects of pain pills for like a week and a half or else I'd feel the headache (turns out, being subject to drilling in your mouth induces intense pains...)

So if your dentist manages to not **** up like mine did you should be in slightly less hell then what I was in

Helsong

Smash Ace
I don't claim to be an expert (like at all), but a lot of people like 5e because it's the simplest without sacrificing fun
  • Super easy to get into for both newcomers and veterans
  • A ton of flavor
  • Far less math thanks to stat limits, bounded accuracy, lack of need for magical weapons, and other **** I don't know yet
  • Partially due to above, superb class balance
  • Has purposely loose rules so as to allow individual flavor up the *** too
  • Somewhat encourages homebrew (they even give potential Aasimar stats to oppose the Tiefling in the DMG)
  • Far less feats than previous versions but they are all more powerful or combine multiple old feats in one to compensate
The only major mechanical downsides I know about 5e are the overall lack of customization compared to 3.5 and that the Ranger (notably Beast Master subclass) gets a bit shafted, but even then it's nothing extremely detrimental
I've been hearing similar things as well, and they make me hesitantly optimistic despite my incredible bias against DnD. I really do want to give it a shot, but I haven't found a play group that I jive with here, plus I'm busy. The lack of customization compared to 3.5e makes me feel a touch worried, since I thought 3.5e was actually kind of restrictive. Then again any class-based system is going to be kind of restrictive by definition.

I'm just hoping they play smart with the supplements. That's where 3.5e really had some issues, to the point where some play groups just ended up banning everything except Core, due to supplementary rulebooks introducing oddly flavored, badly designed, or just overpowered mechanics.
I'm looking at you, Book of Nine Swords.

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
I believe its been stated they don't want to overwhelm anyone with splat books this time around

While customization is somewhat down, one major thing 5e did was remove all alignment restrictions and severely reduced the overall mechanical impact it had, so thats a big plus

Helsong

Smash Ace
Helsong Helsong

Just Book of Nine Swords, hun? You might wanna throw in anything that has to do with Psionics too because holy ****.

Smooth Criminal
Nine Swords is the most commonly known example. But yeah, screw Psionics.
My elder group just went straight Core for a while. PHB, DMG, done. Extra stuff had to be passed by the DM. Made things kinda inflexible, but it cut out so much of the terribleness.
Like, I totally understood what they wanted to do with the supplements and make things more interesting, flexible, balanced, etc...but the way in which they approached a lot of it just wasn't interesting or made sense mechanically..or added in entirely new mechanics. Within the scope of a single edition, it just felt a bit much.

I believe its been stated they don't want to overwhelm anyone with splat books this time around

While customization is somewhat down, one major thing 5e did was remove all alignment restrictions and severely reduced the overall mechanical impact it had, so thats a big plus
Yeah, I heard Paladins don't need to be LG anymore, which is interesting to be sure. Though I question any alignment. What does a chaotic paladin do? I suppose it comes down to how you interpret alignments, but I always saw Lawful as adhering to a code, which is kind of a thing with Paladins.

Someday after I've had a few drinks I'll need to go into some of the silly stuff we did with Pathfinder. That game has wack stuff, even if it is better balanced. Flexible, but easily broken.

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
As of now the only extra book for 5e IIRC is the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, and that's third party material

It adds mostly flavor, but also a new race in (half?)minotaur and a few subclasses (I only know Sun Soul Monk which is basically a Z Fighter Kappa)

Helsong

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, there's my other gripe with Monks in DnD and DnD-inspired systems.

WHY THE **** DO THEY KEEP TRYING TO MAKE MONKS DBZ

Just build a weird wizard or sorcerer or eldritch knight warlock thingy that focuses on ray spells or something if you're really that intent on shooting energy beams, idk.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Helsong Helsong I'm fairly new to DnD overall but I'm pretty sure 5e does better about most of that stuff. At least better than 3.5e.

That said, if we're doing a one-shot together, balance stuff matters less overall since it's a short campaign where everyone is essentially fixed-level.

okay if this isn't happening I'm going to be sad with all the talk.

Off topic:

Binary Clone Binary Clone I'm going to learn the piano somehow but does your ring finger naturally become more flexible/faster/coordinated over the course of playing?

Also any helpful resources that you may have used?

I think I remember you mentioning pianos. That would be awkward if it wasn't you.
Oh, it was totally me.

I would say yes. It's definitely a practice makes perfect kind of thing, but the ring finger is always going to be the worst one because it's so heavily dependent on other fingers. Like, anyone can see this. Make a light fist and try to raise each finger independently of all the others, in turn. The ring finger is the worst at this, by far.

Really, the best thing for it is still just going to be practice. As far as flexibility... I think range can definitely improve over time. But that's not super important. The big milestones are being able to hit an octave with one hand (pinky and thumb, should be easy), hitting an octave with one hand (pinky and ring finger, a bit tougher to do well), and being able to hit a tenth with one hand (pinky and thumb, fairly difficult to do accurately depending on hand size).

Everything else mostly comes down to dexterity and practice, but being able to hit those flexibility milestones do help with your range a lot. Tenths are great and they sound great, and being able to play an octave while playing a little bit of melody above the octave with one hand can be pretty nice, too.

Honestly, scales are pretty good practice for this kind of stuff. I personally never really did, but my ring fingers never had that much trouble just because I grew up playing the piano and having to use them all the time for it anyway. It is by far the weakest, though, so if you pay any attention to a given finger, let it be that one. Always work out fingering well so that allows the highest accuracy possible. A lot of books will recommend specific fingerings, but you don't always have to follow it. Remember, though, that sometimes what feels easier immediately isn't always what's best, as sometimes things that are easier when going slow are actually not optimal when you play things up to speed.

As far as learning to play I think that learning scales and chords are the most important parts. I never focused on scales as a kid and they really would've contributed a lot to my ongoing understanding of music. Chords are absolute most important thing, though, since chords are literally everything. Almost any piece of music out there is going to be comprised of specific chords that can all be written down in a specific way, and using those is going to be way faster and grant you way more artistic freedom than reading specific notes off a page. Also most pop songbooks suck in their written notation, but do have the correct chords, allowing you to still make use of them.

Chords will also increase your sight reading skills though, too, since you have to realize that almost anything is going to be basically arpeggiated chords. Recognizing and using those patterns at a glance is pretty important.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Yes, one-shots are better, depending on what level you are. I always found 3.5e and it's derivatives to be at their most enjoyable and interesting around levels 6-8. Nothing gets too powerful, spellcasters aren't bending the fabric of reality yet, and characters still have options and can feel reasonably useful and powerful.

Unless you're 3.5e fighter, then I'm just wondering why you took that class past level 4 in the first place. At least multiclass into an actual class once you hit 5.

Life

Smash Hero
On the subject of DnD, any Order of the Stick fans in here? I never got a chance to play DnD for any meaningful length of time but man that comic makes me wish I did.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Pretty sure Helsong Helsong is my favorite person in the thread
ilu 2 bby. too bad I can't send friendly butt-squeezes over the internet.

On the subject of DnD, any Order of the Stick fans in here? I never got a chance to play DnD for any meaningful length of time but man that comic makes me wish I did.
Order of the Stick is great, and a pretty good indicator of some funny tabletop gaming tropes, as well as the general gamut of character archetypes you're liable to see from...less imaginative players(coughDrizz'tClonescough). I need to catch up with it again, I left it off just as they were getting to the Godsmoot.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
i had impacted molars but i only got local anasthesia. instead they knocked me out with vicodin beforehand.

my mouth bled for like 2 weeks and i was bedridden for like 5 days. it took me at least a month to recover.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
FPSWalrus FPSWalrus

I had all my wisdom teeth removed at once. Went under for like an hour, was a bit out of sorts on the way home but napped for an hour or so and was 100% fine. Drove myself to work that afternoon, no pain or bleeding or leakage afterwards. I might have just gotten lucky, had a great surgeon, or have high pain tolerance because I know for a fact I have bad gums

Bleck

Smash Master
I had six teeth removed before they impacted and then it turned out that I have a super rare mutation where all of my adult teeth fall out to make room for a second set of adult teeth

isn't that great

Bazkip

Smash Master
I had six teeth removed before they impacted and then it turned out that I have a super rare mutation where all of my adult teeth fall out to make room for a second set of adult teeth

isn't that great
Wait is that hyperdontia or something else

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/432w6p/who_said_pm_for_smash_4/

Because this would totally go over well, right?

Edit:

Oh yeah, there's my other gripe with Monks in DnD and DnD-inspired systems.

WHY THE **** DO THEY KEEP TRYING TO MAKE MONKS DBZ

Just build a weird wizard or sorcerer or eldritch knight warlock thingy that focuses on ray spells or something if you're really that intent on shooting energy beams, idk.
But none of those also let you punch or kick people for decent damage, at least not by RAW

Last edited:
Top Bottom