• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Uh, I think people are overestimating what this can do. A moveset editor is pretty much a fraction of what's needed for a project like PM.

All this would amount to is different kinds of customs, basically. There's a pretty sizeable gap between editing movesets and altering the physics and mechanical workings of the game.

What we'd be looking at for this would be more like a version of Brawl+ for Sm4sh.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Honestly, the only modding thing I would like to see come out of this is a goddamn hitbox viewer. The little "trails" that outline attacks are horribly inaccurate sometimes, and I kinda wanna see the jank of it firsthand.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Uh, I think people are overestimating what this can do. A moveset editor is pretty much a fraction of what's needed for a project like PM.

All this would amount to is different kinds of customs, basically. There's a pretty sizeable gap between editing movesets and altering the physics and mechanical workings of the game.

What we'd be looking at for this would be more like a version of Brawl+ for Sm4sh.
I think most of the discussion of the mod is about its implications rather than its actual utility.
The former is what I'm hyped about.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Mfw I've had so many fillings I basically don't get cavities anymore
I don't think I've had to get a filling in the last 4 years despite eating like **** and brushing my teeth at most once per day.

Maybe I should use mouth wash for the halitosis.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
M2k westballz and axe randomly coming to utsa today

Time to watch the melee babbies get bodied

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
Turns out I'm wrong about the 5e Minotaur race, that's Unearthed Arcana stuff (rules written by the official source but not yet fully playtested and published)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
More fuel for the Fire Emblem fire.

"Apparently murder,incest,corruption,suicide etc are ok for this game; but rubbing the face of animated characters is where NOA draws the line." - Random commentor on Serenes Forest article about localization
Also the guy who wrote the Kotaku article is Nathan Grayson, a known spinster and liar. Here's to hoping he's wrong ayymen. - source by another random commentor on Serenes Forest article about localization

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
uuuuuuuuuuuugh... i basically had a panic attack in my physics lab and it took a whole **** ton of willpower to not break down right there. my prof is ****ty and my lab mates are mostly unhelpful (though a few do try).

this class is going to be ****.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
uuuuuuuuuuuugh... i basically had a panic attack in my physics lab and it took a whole **** ton of willpower to not break down right there. my prof is ****ty and my lab mates are mostly unhelpful (though a few do try).

you should have just kicked their asses

CORY

wut
BRoomer
with the lab mates, it's mostly that there's one guy whose seemingly sole goal is to get out of lab asap, proper procedure and data be damned. so he just tries to bumrush through everything possible and starts splitting work up (not just "do this do this record this, cool. we'll convene in a bit" but like, "you do question 1, i'll do question 2"...). this wouldn't be so bad, except they just blindly copy stuff, at least they've done so in the two labs i've experienced so far. and i don't trust people on blind copying. i just don't. it's a bad plan, especially when the professor says "don't just blind copy work. if you're all making the same exact mistake and it's apparent you just copied stuff without checking, i won't give partial credit."

so, i have chuckle**** 1 trying to rush through everything asap. the other 3 going along with it and just doing stuff because they can, and then i'm trying to understand what the ****'s going on so i know what to do if this stuff pops up later. the other 3 guys are pretty cool, but when you try to help and just start blasting off stuff two questions past what i'm on, it's not helpful.

and the professor doesn't seem to understand that teaching and lecturing is more than just using tangentially related stories about **** you've done in life and "here's an equation. you can derive it this way. figure everything else out." he literally went through the second chapter, 2d motion, with maybe 20 minutes of actual lecture over the material, over two classes. i didn't even have a copy of the book until, like... tuesday? and it's an electronic one, which i'm really not used to using (just preference for physical books...). so i haven't been able to do any homework, which all seems to have just arbitrary due dates depending on how he feels that week.

like, i'm really tempted to just drop this class because i can already tell it's going to be stupidly stressful for no really good reason, but it's also the only class i have this semester and i don't want to fall behind another semester.

on the other hand, i don't want to bang my head against a wall for 2 months, find out i can't pull this out of my ass and then drop. or worse, try to make it all work out and then fail (or get a nontransferrable d : /).

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
You have to talk things out with the idiots if you want the status quo to improve. You can't know whether or not they'll listen until you speak up, so give communication a shot, right?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

Helsong

Smash Ace
But none of those also let you punch or kick people for decent damage, at least not by RAW
Just roll high for STR, obviously.
Besides, melee combat is a waste of resources. You always gotta use a full-round action to do anything decent, when you can just cast spells and makes the peoples fall down in a standard.

Ok, I need to stop the tabletop ranting for a bit, now I'm just getting unreasonable and letting the optimization part of my playstyle override the style and aesthetic parts.

with the lab mates, it's mostly that there's one guy whose seemingly sole goal is to get out of lab asap, proper procedure and data be damned. so he just tries to bumrush through everything possible and starts splitting work up (not just "do this do this record this, cool. we'll convene in a bit" but like, "you do question 1, i'll do question 2"...). this wouldn't be so bad, except they just blindly copy stuff, at least they've done so in the two labs i've experienced so far. and i don't trust people on blind copying. i just don't. it's a bad plan, especially when the professor says "don't just blind copy work. if you're all making the same exact mistake and it's apparent you just copied stuff without checking, i won't give partial credit."

so, i have chuckle**** 1 trying to rush through everything asap. the other 3 going along with it and just doing stuff because they can, and then i'm trying to understand what the ****'s going on so i know what to do if this stuff pops up later. the other 3 guys are pretty cool, but when you try to help and just start blasting off stuff two questions past what i'm on, it's not helpful.

and the professor doesn't seem to understand that teaching and lecturing is more than just using tangentially related stories about **** you've done in life and "here's an equation. you can derive it this way. figure everything else out." he literally went through the second chapter, 2d motion, with maybe 20 minutes of actual lecture over the material, over two classes. i didn't even have a copy of the book until, like... tuesday? and it's an electronic one, which i'm really not used to using (just preference for physical books...). so i haven't been able to do any homework, which all seems to have just arbitrary due dates depending on how he feels that week.

like, i'm really tempted to just drop this class because i can already tell it's going to be stupidly stressful for no really good reason, but it's also the only class i have this semester and i don't want to fall behind another semester.

on the other hand, i don't want to bang my head against a wall for 2 months, find out i can't pull this out of my *** and then drop. or worse, try to make it all work out and then fail (or get a nontransferrable d : /).
I'm really sorry you're going through this, and I can relate. It's an irritating choice to make because ideally you shouldn't be in a position like this in the first place.

So here's how I'd approach the situation. It's not a magic bullet for your dilemma, but maybe you can get something out of it.
Your lab mate who doesn't give a **** about actually learning something and just wants to "get through the class?" He's someone you'll likely have to deal with, unless you can somehow change up groups. Either way, maybe talk to the group and mention that you don't want to rush the questions and would prefer to discuss them through a bit more to gain understanding. I can't guarantee a positive response, but you're at least starting the conversation and making your own intentions clear. Cuz man, you're gonna end up in these kinds of situations a lot in both school and work and no one really knows the perfect mixture of magic to make teams of nerds work together perfectly. If you do, lemme know, we'll write a book and never work another day in our lives.

Your Professor? How available is he outside of class? Talk to him in his office hours and hopefully that'll help your understanding. You're not going to be able to change his teaching style, but when it comes time for class reviews, definitely give him a few suggestions. You'd be surprised how many profs actually take those into consideration. In addition, when you do go to meet him in his office, come prepared. Skim the section you're having issues with beforehand, try a few problems to better highlight where your issues are. Most profs tend to be better at explaining things in one on one sessions instead of during lecture to a class(which is a problem, but complaining about that won't help you pass your class unfortunately). If your prof is just as unhelpful in his office hours, then you've got a problem and I'm really sorry.

If you're able to put in this kind of effort into the class, then awesome. Don't drop it. If you can't, then it might be in your interest to do so, but it's sounding like you're not necessarily in a position where you'd want to drop classes. It's going to be hella stressful probably, but you gotta deal with it and believe yourself to be capable of dealing with it. Just be on top of things when it comes to this class.

Does your university have counseling of any sort? They might be worth talking to as well. Either way, you'll come out of this ok, and I believe in you.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Besides, melee combat is a waste of resources. You always gotta use a full-round action to do anything decent, when you can just cast spells and makes the peoples fall down in a standard.

Ok, I need to stop the tabletop ranting for a bit, now I'm just getting unreasonable and letting the optimization part of my playstyle override the style and aesthetic parts.

I'm really sorry you're going through this, and I can relate. It's an irritating choice to make because ideally you shouldn't be in a position like this in the first place.

So here's how I'd approach the situation. It's not a magic bullet for your dilemma, but maybe you can get something out of it.
Your lab mate who doesn't give a **** about actually learning something and just wants to "get through the class?" He's someone you'll likely have to deal with, unless you can somehow change up groups. Either way, maybe talk to the group and mention that you don't want to rush the questions and would prefer to discuss them through a bit more to gain understanding. I can't guarantee a positive response, but you're at least starting the conversation and making your own intentions clear. Cuz man, you're gonna end up in these kinds of situations a lot in both school and work and no one really knows the perfect mixture of magic to make teams of nerds work together perfectly. If you do, lemme know, we'll write a book and never work another day in our lives.

Your Professor? How available is he outside of class? Talk to him in his office hours and hopefully that'll help your understanding. You're not going to be able to change his teaching style, but when it comes time for class reviews, definitely give him a few suggestions. You'd be surprised how many profs actually take those into consideration. In addition, when you do go to meet him in his office, come prepared. Skim the section you're having issues with beforehand, try a few problems to better highlight where your issues are. Most profs tend to be better at explaining things in one on one sessions instead of during lecture to a class(which is a problem, but complaining about that won't help you pass your class unfortunately). If your prof is just as unhelpful in his office hours, then you've got a problem and I'm really sorry.

If you're able to put in this kind of effort into the class, then awesome. Don't drop it. If you can't, then it might be in your interest to do so, but it's sounding like you're not necessarily in a position where you'd want to drop classes. It's going to be hella stressful probably, but you gotta deal with it and believe yourself to be capable of dealing with it. Just be on top of things when it comes to this class.

Does your university have counseling of any sort? They might be worth talking to as well. Either way, you'll come out of this ok, and I believe in you.
thanks, homie. i think a lot of this is from just not knowing any of the work right now. i called in sick to work today because i didn't feel like adulting (and i technically have days off to spare and it won't hurt me much, pointswise...) and just took a short nap. i think once i start working out how we're supposed to derive the equations properly it won't be so annoying,

i just had literally no idea what to do or where to start for the stuff, which is something i'm really unaccustomed to. mr. rushypants wouldn't be too bad, except i couldn't make stuff work on my own (last week, for example, when he tried to bumrush through and we had an obviously wrong data point he just ignored it and the other guys went with it. it just stayed late and told everyone else i was double checking work then as soon as they went out the door went and asked my prof for help trouble shooting. turned out we had measured with the vernier incorrectly. easy, done).

i honestly have very little hope for the professor. he started off the first class (at least once i managed to get in. was a bit late due to traffic and not knowing that building) talking about how he's worked at TI for so long and helped answer questions for so many engineers and **** all over europe and asia and how he actually worked on making the chips for some calculators and basically putting on an air of literally the posterboy for old white guy privilege. i think he just expects to say a few things and have us teach ourselves for the most parts, though he was understanding of work constraints and told me to email him about my book problems so i can get an extension on the first set of hw.

since i have tonight, tomorrow, and the weekend to work this out, hopefully having that time, slader.com and and some patience (now that i have a copy of the book) i can start to work through stuff and figure out how things should work. if i can't make the class work out i'll just drop it and deal with it. but definitely going to try and hardcore bust through some of the drudgery at the start.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
and my girlfriend is in aspen for the xgames this week, but she sent me a picture of a cute bird over fb to help destress (after listening to me rant about stuff) : D

Helsong

Smash Ace
thanks, homie. i think a lot of this is from just not knowing any of the work right now. i called in sick to work today because i didn't feel like adulting (and i technically have days off to spare and it won't hurt me much, pointswise...) and just took a short nap. i think once i start working out how we're supposed to derive the equations properly it won't be so annoying,

i just had literally no idea what to do or where to start for the stuff, which is something i'm really unaccustomed to. mr. rushypants wouldn't be too bad, except i couldn't make stuff work on my own (last week, for example, when he tried to bumrush through and we had an obviously wrong data point he just ignored it and the other guys went with it. it just stayed late and told everyone else i was double checking work then as soon as they went out the door went and asked my prof for help trouble shooting. turned out we had measured with the vernier incorrectly. easy, done).

i honestly have very little hope for the professor. he started off the first class (at least once i managed to get in. was a bit late due to traffic and not knowing that building) talking about how he's worked at TI for so long and helped answer questions for so many engineers and **** all over europe and asia and how he actually worked on making the chips for some calculators and basically putting on an air of literally the posterboy for old white guy privilege. i think he just expects to say a few things and have us teach ourselves for the most parts, though he was understanding of work constraints and told me to email him about my book problems so i can get an extension on the first set of hw.

since i have tonight, tomorrow, and the weekend to work this out, hopefully having that time, slader.com and and some patience (now that i have a copy of the book) i can start to work through stuff and figure out how things should work. if i can't make the class work out i'll just drop it and deal with it. but definitely going to try and hardcore bust through some of the drudgery at the start.
I'm glad you're trying to make it work even though things are kinda ****! You gotta be able to do that, at least.

And yeah, your prof is a piece of work. I had a prof who worked in some pretty cool places, and would often reference it in his lectures, but was way better about it. Typically used it to illustrate a point, and was always trying to connect it back to how we should be learning something or what we should learn before we go out into the workplace or grad school. Went off on tangents, but they were useful ones, and I always got the impression that he was doing it for our benefit, rather than to inflate his own ego. I miss him.

If you need to rant about it more, we're always here.

Jwave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jackie1011

down to smash?
3527-8748-7980 WAVE

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
Girlfriend finally comes back from camping in the California woods later tonight, hopefully she's not offput my the numerous rambling texts I sent her. Four days without being able to talk to the person you love is rough :/

D

Deleted member

anyone wanna smash me???

friend code: 4512-9423-5123 SCOT

Last edited by a moderator:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
1399624430153.gif

Final fantasy explorers is sold out literally everywhere in my town.

Even worse, my friends who have it already all came over hoping to play it. ;_;

Player -0

Smash Hero
and that kids, is how you display sarcasm on the internet.

that or Senpai is really bad at this.

Either way this post will let us know what he was trying to convey through more explanation (probably).

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
In 5e unless you have feats or abilities saying otherwise, all unarmed strikes do 1+STR damage (everyone is proficient in them by default)

Monks get 1d4+STR/DEX at first level with their Martial Arts, which over time upgrades up to 1d10+STR/DEX at 17th level, they get an Extra Attack, and you have abilities like Flurry of Blows that require only a bonus action (though you need to attack with a monk weapon or another unarmed strike first) and let you attack with those an extra two times. If you're an Open Hand Monk, on hit with FoB the target suffers one of these three effects:
  • It must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone.
  • It must make a Strength saving throw. If it fails, you can push it up to 15 feet away from you.
  • It can’t take reactions until the end of your next turn.
Edit: Also you're not limited to a single target with FoB so long as all targets are in range without needing to move

Last edited:
Top Bottom