• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Why aren't you jabroni jobbing nerds watching the ultimate hunter vs. the man with a thousand lives while the real life incarnation of Shao Khan watches from above his throne?

'Sup, peeps?

First time heading into the PM social, hope I can be around here more! I've been planning to get more into PM again after I've been focusing on Smash 4 for so long.
Welcome. 2 things you must answer:

1. Do you look really really strong?
2. Who is your favorite wrestler and why is it John Cena and/or Roman Reigns?

the only people ill smash with is kurogal and nixie, i aint a **** no more fam
Don't forget "getting bodied by Diego Umehara".

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Why aren't you jabroni jobbing nerds watching the ultimate hunter vs. the man with a thousand lives while the real life incarnation of Shao Khan watches from above his throne?

Welcome. 2 things you must answer:

1. Do you look really really strong?
2. Who is your favorite wrestler and why is it John Cena and/or Roman Reigns?

Don't forget "getting bodied by Diego Umehara".
>Diego Umehara

lol what do you play then ahaha
With each other

Player -0

Smash Hero
Speaking of dress up I forgot who does the cosplays in this thread but planning on making dumb buster sword out of wood. Wrap it with padding or something and then do stuff over. Any tips?

It'll probably still hurt because it's heavy but hopefully nobody starts swinging it

Edit - Wait, it's 1 foot WIDE? The wiki has to be wrong on that, no wayyyy

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Player -0 Player -0 For one thing, make sure you can fit it into luggage/it can be disassembled and taken through airport security without too much trouble in the event that you're gonna travel with it.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Tim Hortons coffee sucks, jesus christ what is wrong with you Canadians

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
'Sup, peeps?

First time heading into the PM social, hope I can be around here more! I've been planning to get more into PM again after I've been focusing on Smash 4 for so long.
>Assuming Project M is/will ever be spoken of en-mass while in this thread.
You've made an assumption most incomparably erroneous.

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Bowser is ****ing raw
that sig, man. that's pretty gahlike.

Speaking of dress up I forgot who does the cosplays in this thread but planning on making dumb buster sword out of wood. Wrap it with padding or something and then do stuff over. Any tips?

It'll probably still hurt because it's heavy but hopefully nobody starts swinging it

Edit - Wait, it's 1 foot WIDE? The wiki has to be wrong on that, no wayyyy
i wouldn't recommend wood. it'll be hella clunky and a bit of a pain to move places. i actually made one out of a huge plank back in middle school using my dad's circular and jigsaws, then used the sander to smooth and round the handle out. ****** weighed 30 pounds easy ;x

i'd recommend going to a craft or hobby store and trying to find the biggest and longest pieces of foam you can, then go and find a dowel rod that'll fit in your hand as a handle comfortably.

if you can get the foam in pieces that are half the thickness that you want the prop to be in the end, it'll simplify putting the handle in, since you can just line them up, make your measurements (basically find the diameter of the handle, find the center of your foam, and put half the diameter on either side, just slightly shortened). then slowly and carefully scrape out a groove about 6 inches up into the blade pieces (put the handle in as you do this, to make sure it lines up and will close properly).

that would probably be the most dangerous part, tbh. if you misalign the two halves you'll have to shorten the blade's width during cleanup. be really careful about setting up the guidelines for this part, make sure they're actually perpendicular to the bottom of the blade, and make sure that the bottom is actually squared up with itself, otherwise you can get the handle installed in a really bad angle.

once you get the handle in, just glue the two halves over it (as carefully as possible, so align everything super well before dropping the pieces together). you can either put the handle in and glue it now or wait and slip it in after and glue it at that point, up to you, but i think it'll be more secure to do it now. make sure to let everything fully dry before doing anything else and make sure everything is solid (you can probably even get spray adhesive, depending on the foam you bought).

thoughts at this point: if you can't find single pieces that are long enough, you can still follow the basic idea here and just carefully glue several together to get your desired length. as before, make sure everything is squared and straight, as misalignments here will cause big issues on the final deal.

now that you have the base of the sword, it should like like a big rectangular prism on a stick. get some paper that's slightly wider than the blade and lay it down underneath, at the very top. trace the lines around the edges so you have an outline of your rectangle. now, get a straight edge and start estimating where you want to put the tip of the blade. once you get it set the way you'd like, trace that line on and cut that shape out. now, lay this pattern down over the top of your base and trace that tip line on. flip it over, repeat, making sure they go to the same side.

cut that chunk out as cleanly as possible and now you should have a mostly raw rough'd out buster sword.

if you want to go further and actually give it something of a defined blade edge, you can cut and sand it down from here. just set your length and carefully draw your guide lines up on both sides. at this point, it'll be tedium to properly cut and smooth down, but if you can get a wood planer that'll work on the foam it'll help. and remember it won't need to be fully keened, it's (styro)foam, so it won't keep the edge, anyway.

i'm assuming this is original game style buster sword, btw. if you want to put materia slots in there, the best way to is to find someone who has a borer attachment for a drill at the size you want and just put it straight through.

detailing is also going to be a bit tedious, but you can be kinda lazy here, probably. pick up extra foam (or the scraps of your work, if you have enough) and basically form out the hilt piece to go around the bottom of the blade. if you want to get the rivets in, you can buy short stem bolts and just literally shove them in after the hilt's installed and glue them. or find something that looks like a dome and glue it on in there.

painting would be pretty standard. make sure to put a sealant over the whole thing (mod podge is a pretty standard tried and true sealant. it should work for most stuff without issue. if you want to use a spray on one, just make sure it won't destroy your foam.). make sure the sealant covers everything pretty evenly. it doesn't need to be super smooth, but make sure to fill in cracks and gaps the best you can (which is why i recommend mod podge, tbh).

then, go find your paint colors, spray paint is fine at this point. tape off sections paint one color at a time (gunmetal grey, silver for sure. gold if you're going that route). make sure you have a good painting area, so well ventilated and someplace you won't get in trouble for the overspray getting all over ****.

do the handle the same, though you could also just buy a small can of wood varnish and hand paint it, instead.

you can do detailing touches with paint, too, if you want. like, just barely dip a wide brush in black and lightly brush towards the center along your blade edge to give it that filed look, maybe make a few darker notches for character. add some light overspray of silver over the gunmetal part. use the method for sharpening details on the handle to give it some grain, maybe.

there, voila, buster sword overview. you won't be able to actually hit people with it, sorry, but you'll be able to bring it places and it'll look pretty baller as long as you take care of it : D

CORY

wut
BRoomer
that sig, man. that's pretty gahlike.

i wouldn't recommend wood. it'll be hella clunky and a bit of a pain to move places. i actually made one out of a huge plank back in middle school using my dad's circular and jigsaws, then used the sander to smooth and round the handle out. ****** weighed 30 pounds easy ;x

i'd recommend going to a craft or hobby store and trying to find the biggest and longest pieces of foam you can, then go and find a dowel rod that'll fit in your hand as a handle comfortably.

if you can get the foam in pieces that are half the thickness that you want the prop to be in the end, it'll simplify putting the handle in, since you can just line them up, make your measurements (basically find the diameter of the handle, find the center of your foam, and put half the diameter on either side, just slightly shortened). then slowly and carefully scrape out a groove about 6 inches up into the blade pieces (put the handle in as you do this, to make sure it lines up and will close properly).

that would probably be the most dangerous part, tbh. if you misalign the two halves you'll have to shorten the blade's width during cleanup. be really careful about setting up the guidelines for this part, make sure they're actually perpendicular to the bottom of the blade, and make sure that the bottom is actually squared up with itself, otherwise you can get the handle installed in a really bad angle.

once you get the handle in, just glue the two halves over it (as carefully as possible, so align everything super well before dropping the pieces together). you can either put the handle in and glue it now or wait and slip it in after and glue it at that point, up to you, but i think it'll be more secure to do it now. make sure to let everything fully dry before doing anything else and make sure everything is solid (you can probably even get spray adhesive, depending on the foam you bought).

thoughts at this point: if you can't find single pieces that are long enough, you can still follow the basic idea here and just carefully glue several together to get your desired length. as before, make sure everything is squared and straight, as misalignments here will cause big issues on the final deal.

now that you have the base of the sword, it should like like a big rectangular prism on a stick. get some paper that's slightly wider than the blade and lay it down underneath, at the very top. trace the lines around the edges so you have an outline of your rectangle. now, get a straight edge and start estimating where you want to put the tip of the blade. once you get it set the way you'd like, trace that line on and cut that shape out. now, lay this pattern down over the top of your base and trace that tip line on. flip it over, repeat, making sure they go to the same side.

cut that chunk out as cleanly as possible and now you should have a mostly raw rough'd out buster sword.

if you want to go further and actually give it something of a defined blade edge, you can cut and sand it down from here. just set your length and carefully draw your guide lines up on both sides. at this point, it'll be tedium to properly cut and smooth down, but if you can get a wood planer that'll work on the foam it'll help. and remember it won't need to be fully keened, it's (styro)foam, so it won't keep the edge, anyway.

i'm assuming this is original game style buster sword, btw. if you want to put materia slots in there, the best way to is to find someone who has a borer attachment for a drill at the size you want and just put it straight through.

detailing is also going to be a bit tedious, but you can be kinda lazy here, probably. pick up extra foam (or the scraps of your work, if you have enough) and basically form out the hilt piece to go around the bottom of the blade. if you want to get the rivets in, you can buy short stem bolts and just literally shove them in after the hilt's installed and glue them. or find something that looks like a dome and glue it on in there.

painting would be pretty standard. make sure to put a sealant over the whole thing (mod podge is a pretty standard tried and true sealant. it should work for most stuff without issue. if you want to use a spray on one, just make sure it won't destroy your foam.). make sure the sealant covers everything pretty evenly. it doesn't need to be super smooth, but make sure to fill in cracks and gaps the best you can (which is why i recommend mod podge, tbh).

then, go find your paint colors, spray paint is fine at this point. tape off sections paint one color at a time (gunmetal grey, silver for sure. gold if you're going that route). make sure you have a good painting area, so well ventilated and someplace you won't get in trouble for the overspray getting all over ****.

do the handle the same, though you could also just buy a small can of wood varnish and hand paint it, instead.

you can do detailing touches with paint, too, if you want. like, just barely dip a wide brush in black and lightly brush towards the center along your blade edge to give it that filed look, maybe make a few darker notches for character. add some light overspray of silver over the gunmetal part. use the method for sharpening details on the handle to give it some grain, maybe.

there, voila, buster sword overview. you won't be able to actually hit people with it, sorry, but you'll be able to bring it places and it'll look pretty baller as long as you take care of it : D
you ****ing nerd

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I just realize I can hear voices.

No I mean like, I can hear people say things in their voice in my head.

If I wanted, I could make Trump say "That's Sugoi desu ne, kouhai." ... Oh golly.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Don't got internet unfortunately.

I'm sorry, but the PM social isn't the best place to find people to play Smash with, ironically.
That's not true. In the span of 5 months, I met and bodied Meiling twice. That's like Twice in a Lifetime.

i never lose
Ganon dtilt into Wizkick says hi.

I just realize I can hear voices.

No I mean like, I can hear people say things in their voice in my head.

If I wanted, I could make Trump say "That's Sugoi desu ne, kouhai." ... Oh golly.

Bazkip

Smash Master
I'd just like to point out that shairn shairn used to main Marth/Sheik and tell me to "Pick a better character" before he switched to Bowser.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I'm taking 3D Game Development this semester as it's part 2/2 of the Game Development course. I forgot that since it's 3D I can't just make super fast simple things in an image editor to get a sprite done. We have to learn blender so we can make our own models and animations and import them into unity. I just want to script things and not feel like I'm wasting my time making models. :<

eideeiit

Smash Ace
I actually was. I guess my brain had tagged him as "does PM stuff like a DI-app" and I forgot the old tag of "posts imgur links with like 2000 upvotes". I love both JOE's tho so idk.

Also watched a vid about admiral Yi. Cool.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Tfw you fraud your way into losers finals in your pax melee pool

Lmao to anyone who saw me on the stream

Top Bottom