• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Player -0

Smash Hero
that sig, man. that's pretty gahlike.

i wouldn't recommend wood. it'll be hella clunky and a bit of a pain to move places. i actually made one out of a huge plank back in middle school using my dad's circular and jigsaws, then used the sander to smooth and round the handle out. ****** weighed 30 pounds easy ;x

i'd recommend going to a craft or hobby store and trying to find the biggest and longest pieces of foam you can, then go and find a dowel rod that'll fit in your hand as a handle comfortably.

if you can get the foam in pieces that are half the thickness that you want the prop to be in the end, it'll simplify putting the handle in, since you can just line them up, make your measurements (basically find the diameter of the handle, find the center of your foam, and put half the diameter on either side, just slightly shortened). then slowly and carefully scrape out a groove about 6 inches up into the blade pieces (put the handle in as you do this, to make sure it lines up and will close properly).

that would probably be the most dangerous part, tbh. if you misalign the two halves you'll have to shorten the blade's width during cleanup. be really careful about setting up the guidelines for this part, make sure they're actually perpendicular to the bottom of the blade, and make sure that the bottom is actually squared up with itself, otherwise you can get the handle installed in a really bad angle.

once you get the handle in, just glue the two halves over it (as carefully as possible, so align everything super well before dropping the pieces together). you can either put the handle in and glue it now or wait and slip it in after and glue it at that point, up to you, but i think it'll be more secure to do it now. make sure to let everything fully dry before doing anything else and make sure everything is solid (you can probably even get spray adhesive, depending on the foam you bought).

thoughts at this point: if you can't find single pieces that are long enough, you can still follow the basic idea here and just carefully glue several together to get your desired length. as before, make sure everything is squared and straight, as misalignments here will cause big issues on the final deal.

now that you have the base of the sword, it should like like a big rectangular prism on a stick. get some paper that's slightly wider than the blade and lay it down underneath, at the very top. trace the lines around the edges so you have an outline of your rectangle. now, get a straight edge and start estimating where you want to put the tip of the blade. once you get it set the way you'd like, trace that line on and cut that shape out. now, lay this pattern down over the top of your base and trace that tip line on. flip it over, repeat, making sure they go to the same side.

cut that chunk out as cleanly as possible and now you should have a mostly raw rough'd out buster sword.

if you want to go further and actually give it something of a defined blade edge, you can cut and sand it down from here. just set your length and carefully draw your guide lines up on both sides. at this point, it'll be tedium to properly cut and smooth down, but if you can get a wood planer that'll work on the foam it'll help. and remember it won't need to be fully keened, it's (styro)foam, so it won't keep the edge, anyway.

i'm assuming this is original game style buster sword, btw. if you want to put materia slots in there, the best way to is to find someone who has a borer attachment for a drill at the size you want and just put it straight through.

detailing is also going to be a bit tedious, but you can be kinda lazy here, probably. pick up extra foam (or the scraps of your work, if you have enough) and basically form out the hilt piece to go around the bottom of the blade. if you want to get the rivets in, you can buy short stem bolts and just literally shove them in after the hilt's installed and glue them. or find something that looks like a dome and glue it on in there.

painting would be pretty standard. make sure to put a sealant over the whole thing (mod podge is a pretty standard tried and true sealant. it should work for most stuff without issue. if you want to use a spray on one, just make sure it won't destroy your foam.). make sure the sealant covers everything pretty evenly. it doesn't need to be super smooth, but make sure to fill in cracks and gaps the best you can (which is why i recommend mod podge, tbh).

then, go find your paint colors, spray paint is fine at this point. tape off sections paint one color at a time (gunmetal grey, silver for sure. gold if you're going that route). make sure you have a good painting area, so well ventilated and someplace you won't get in trouble for the overspray getting all over ****.

do the handle the same, though you could also just buy a small can of wood varnish and hand paint it, instead.

you can do detailing touches with paint, too, if you want. like, just barely dip a wide brush in black and lightly brush towards the center along your blade edge to give it that filed look, maybe make a few darker notches for character. add some light overspray of silver over the gunmetal part. use the method for sharpening details on the handle to give it some grain, maybe.

there, voila, buster sword overview. you won't be able to actually hit people with it, sorry, but you'll be able to bring it places and it'll look pretty baller as long as you take care of it : D
Sick knowledge drops. I'll keep this in mind.

But ALL WOOD FOR MAX SWAG/HEAVINESS. IT'S GOING TO LOOK REALLY UGLY BUT IT'S GOING TO BE LEGIT HEAVY.

*proceeds to duct tape pieces of wood together*

I'll post pics when/if I do this. It'll probably be a week or 5.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Sick knowledge drops. I'll keep this in mind.

But ALL WOOD FOR MAX SWAG/HEAVINESS. IT'S GOING TO LOOK REALLY UGLY BUT IT'S GOING TO BE LEGIT HEAVY.

*proceeds to duct tape pieces of wood together*

I'll post pics when/if I do this. It'll probably be a week or 5.
alright, good luck, then. better start lifting now, though, so you'll be ready to carry that bad boy around with you.

in other news, i was looking for a quick reference picture to make a pattern for flareon ears and i found the fluffiest god damn flareon i've seen in my life.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
You know that feeling after you masturbate and you realize how disgusting you are?

I hate that feeling.

I blame you CORY CORY

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i won't let you see my butt the next time i post pictures. it'll have a spoiler that says "not for interpunct's weird gross self" so you'll know not to click it.

HCRAYERT

Smash Apprentice
It seems like most people in this thread had missed me.I wasn't really expecting this since some people here wore trying to get me banned.

Last edited:

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
i won't let you see my butt the next time i post pictures. it'll have a spoiler that says "not for interpunct's weird gross self" so you'll know not to click it.
I'll make sure to whack it extra hard.

HCRAYERT

Smash Apprentice
Strong bad,standardtoast and the people who were in favor for them wore trying to get me banned.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Saito what do you mean.
It means I play it to experience the new region, (or remake), have fun playing through the game once, then put it on a shelf where I never play it because I don't like training pokemon for battles, nor do I enjoy battling with other people that much.

I also make sure to catch em all before I put it away completely.

He means that he doesn't play Pokemon to battle, but to be closer to his one true love, Sylveon
Sylveon (87).jpg

I'm a fraud though. I haven't even leveled a single sylveon up to 100 yet.

Last edited:

HCRAYERT

Smash Apprentice
Saito what's the point of catching pokemon if you are not going to use them in real battles, I played and own pokemon Y and alpha sapphire myself so what I can tell you is that this games are way to easy on 1 player mode I beat both games without ever loosing a battle.Would'nt you have more fun if you participate in competitive battles.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Saito what's the point of catching pokemon if you are not going to use them in real battles, I played and own pokemon Y and alpha sapphire myself so what I can tell you is that this games are way to easy on 1 player mode I beat both games without ever loosing a battle.Would'nt you have more fun if you participate in competitive battles.
Some people just don't care about actually battling. The fun is being able to say you collected them all.

Also, before you ask, I don't have a 3DS.

HCRAYERT

Smash Apprentice
Kurri I wasn't going to ask you.I asked her because she posted a pokemon picture so I just thought she plays pokemon too.By the why what game console do you own.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Kurri I wasn't going to ask you.I asked her because she posted a pokemon picture so I just thought she plays pokemon too.
He. Saito is a guy.

Also, you asked Shairn and he doesn't have anything Pokemanz, figured I may as well get it out of the way.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Now that I think about it, ninty probably banned PM 'cuz we are too lewd. Just look at that fluffy pokemon.
Kurri I wasn't going to ask you.I asked her because she posted a pokemon picture so I just thought she plays pokemon too.By the why what game console do you own.
Talk about getting rekt yooo lmaoooooo quit life he wasn't going to ask you omfg unplug the keyboard bro forfeit

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Now that I think about it, ninty probably banned PM 'cuz we are too lewd. Just look at that fluffy pokemon.

Talk about getting rekt yooo lmaoooooo quit life he wasn't going to ask you omfg unplug the keyboard bro forfeit

gtfo, you're just some scrub.

HCRAYERT

Smash Apprentice
Saito sorry it's just that I saw a pink pokemon as you're avatar so I assumed you were a girl.I asked Shairn because he/she posted a pokemon related comment.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
eveelutions are all garbo

except leafeon that ones cute

Glaceon is better tho

everything else is trash

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
What the **** did you just say about me? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Pokemon Training Academy, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Team Rocket, and I have over 300 confirmed battle tower victories in a row. I am trained in Pokemon musicals and I’m the top coordinator in the entire Hoenn region. You are nothing to me but just another gym leader. I will wipe you out with strategies the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my words. You think you can get away with saying that to me over the Internet? Think again. As we speak I am contacting International Police member Looker and his team across world and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the whirlwind, wurmple. The whirlwind that blows you out of the battle. You’re dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can knock out your Pokemon in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my Legendaries. Not only are my Pokemon extensively trained in super training, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Global Trade System and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of Kalos. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held you tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn psyduck. I will use Muddy water all over you and you will drown in it. You’re dead, kiddo.

Last edited:

HCRAYERT

Smash Apprentice
Saito are you challenging me Also legendaries are restricted in competitive battles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom