• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
...You know, since I was a kid, I always wondered what the hell Knuckles meant by "Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle", or rather, why he felt so compelled to state that.

Today, I finally found the answer.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
According to urban dictionary:

(1) a derrogatory term for someone that is disabled or has a medicial problem that results in physical impairment.

(2) An insult implying that someone is incompetent, stupid, etc. Can also be used to imply that the person is uncool or can't/won't do what everyone else is doing.

(3) A sex slave or submissive, usually male, as popularlized by the movie Pulp Fiction.

Yeah, how did this become a term we use?

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Urban dictionary definitions are often written later and contrary to the original definitions and terms.
Just check out Cleveland Steamer and Hoo Hah... at your risk.
Note the former meant nothing and the latter was just some mindless exclamation which was used in the earlier days of MAD.

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace

(1) a derrogatory term for someone that is disabled or has a medicial problem that results in physical impairment.

(2) An insult implying that someone is incompetent, stupid, etc. Can also be used to imply that the person is uncool or can't/won't do what everyone else is doing.

(3) A sex slave or submissive, usually male, as popularlized by the movie Pulp Fiction.

Yeah, how did become a term we use?
Wow. Now I'll feel even more disrespectful playing as Sheik. Thanks!

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
You're assuming big video game companies know how to make logical business decisions.

Just look at Sega, they keep making sonic games.
To be fair, after reading comments on old amazon reviews and stuff I saw rumors of discontinuing the adapters dating back to the end of November. Obviously they were wrong so maybe this employee is too. Or maybe he's one of the scalpers trying to discourage my patience! *conspiracy*

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
To be fair, after reading comments on old amazon reviews and stuff I saw rumors of discontinuing the adapters dating back to the end of November. Obviously they were wrong so maybe this employee is too. Or maybe he's one of the scalpers trying to discourage my patience! *conspiracy*

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
@ Eternal Yoshi Eternal Yoshi Good point. But according to dictionary.com it's not that far off:

noun
1. a flat trimming of silk, wool, or other cord, sometimes stiffened with wire, for garments, curtains, etc.
2. a coarse thread, usually glazed, employed in lacemaking to outline designs.

noun
1. a limp.
2. Usually Disparaging and Offensive. a term used to refer to a person who limps or is lame.
verb (used without object)
3. to limp; walk in a halting manner: "a sprain that made her gimp for weeks."

noun
1. (US & Canadian, offensive, slang) a physically disabled person, esp one who is lame
2. (slang) a sexual fetishist who likes to be dominated and who dresses in a leather or rubber body suit with mask, zips, and chains

And pages for Merriam-Webster and Oxford too but they only mention the limp one. So you could be offended by either the Pulp Fiction definition of making the opponent your ***** or the definition where it looks like we're supporting crippling the opponent.

We should probably use a different word :ohwell:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
@ Eternal Yoshi Eternal Yoshi Good point. But according to dictionary.com it's not that far off:

noun
1. a flat trimming of silk, wool, or other cord, sometimes stiffened with wire, for garments, curtains, etc.
2. a coarse thread, usually glazed, employed in lacemaking to outline designs.

noun
1. a limp.
2. Usually Disparaging and Offensive. a term used to refer to a person who limps or is lame.
verb (used without object)
3. to limp; walk in a halting manner: "a sprain that made her gimp for weeks."

noun
1. (US & Canadian, offensive, slang) a physically disabled person, esp one who is lame
2. (slang) a sexual fetishist who likes to be dominated and who dresses in a leather or rubber body suit with mask, zips, and chains

And pages for Merriam-Webster and Oxford too but they only mention the limp one. So you could be offended by either the Pulp Fiction definition of making the opponent your ***** or the definition where it looks like we're supporting crippling the opponent.

We should probably use a different word :ohwell:
Don't make me gimp you.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So great. USB Loader GX reminds me of why I hate programs sometimes.

I'm using the previous version and it loads games with absolutely NO problems.

I update it, and all of a sudden NOTHING ****ING WORKS.

Why the hell do program designers feel the need to change **** that drastically? Damn it all. Back to the previous version, I guess.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Dthrow, tech chase Dthrow, tech chase Dthrow, tech chase Dthrow, tech chase Dthrow, tech chase Dthrow, tech chase Dthrow, tech chase Dthrow, tech chase Dthrow, tech chase Dthrow, Dtilt, Nair, Knee
I see nothing out of the ordinary here

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Yeah, how did this become a term we use?
Urban Dictionary is a legitimate source now?
Then again, to think of something as a 'language commissar' is ridiculous, since language flows from our nature and changes as each individual sees fit, but I've certainly never meant it in that way, and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people using it to describe the event in Smash mean to relate it to the fact that handicapped people are referred to as 'gimped', and mean it in no supposedly derogatory way.
. . . the definition where it looks like we're supporting crippling the opponent.
Pish posh.
THIS IS LITERALLY A GAME ABOUT HURTING PEOPLE.
IN A CARTOONISH MANNER BUT STILL.
Logically, if your principle was followed to its end, we are SUPPORTING KNOCKING THE OPPONENT OUT in the most modest interpretation, and by the most negative interpretation (such as yours of gimp) KILLING the opponent.
Edit: not to mention suicide vs SD. Any self destructive behavior ought not to be encouraged.
BUT YOUSTLASIHDTOIAHSD:KJ BZAP:JDHGPA:OJ BZXKJPEOTUQ IM SO DONE
Edit 2: Political correctness It is not intellectually healthy: it serves to shut down any intelligent discourse about any number of topics with the mere wave of a hand, writing them out of polite society as they do not even deserve a refutation of their eminently defensible position.
Edit 3: There is nothing morally reprehensible about offending someone in and of itself. The default position ought to be that it is morally licit until proven otherwise by some reasonable doubt cast by a secondary fact.

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
YOUSTLASIHDTOIAHSD:KJ BZAP:JDHGPA:OJ BZXKJPEOTUQ IM SO DONE
K dude sorry if I offended you ;)

Seriously though, it was really more of a "oh gimp means this? huh, that's awkward" kind of feeling instead of...I don't know, getting triggered? If people don't actually take offense then no harm no foul for now. It just looked like it was in the same offensive pattern as "****" and how people aren't cool with that now compared to the earlier days of the scene, but if gimp is much less offensive then whatever.

If anything I'm more curious about where the term came from in the first place. I guess some smashers watched Pulp Fiction and one thing lead to another? Because before I used this term I'd usually think of "gimp" as the free mode Photoshop. You wouldn't happen to know the etymology behind it, would you? Well, anyone really, but I'm genuinely impressed with your vernacular @ Jaedrik Jaedrik

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
So my driver side front wheel came completely off the car last night and the calipur was grinded to hell and back around the edge.

and my insurance practically lied to me about who's paying what until i managed to ***** at the manager for like 30 mins on the phone.

yesterday has been a horrible day.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
@ GHNeko GHNeko sorry you had to go through that.

Can someone make CSP and BSP for the ike climber textures? I would prefer one made just for the blue one.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Well, my first tournament win for 3.5 was also one that I ran...Conspiracy?

Yes, why do you ask?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I posted that E3 2001 video on the Melee Social Thread when I noticed, sheesh, that place is barren now. The posts on a single page stretch out over three months!

So my driver side front wheel came completely off the car last night and the calipur was grinded to hell and back around the edge.

and my insurance practically lied to me about who's paying what until i managed to ***** at the manager for like 30 mins on the phone.

yesterday has been a horrible day.
Ouch... I hope things turn out alright.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
So great. USB Loader GX reminds me of why I hate programs sometimes.

I'm using the previous version and it loads games with absolutely NO problems.

I update it, and all of a sudden NOTHING ****ING WORKS.

Why the hell do program designers feel the need to change **** that drastically? Damn it all. Back to the previous version, I guess.
You ****ed up when you picked usbloader

Why the **** arent you using cfg loader master race

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
You ****ed up when you picked usbloader

Why the **** arent you using cfg loader master race
Because it's not master race at all. I used CFG for years until it stopped working right, I got the new USB Loader GX and found that it was significantly better than CFG ever was.

Plus, I like having all of my games appear as actual channels versus floating boxarts and stuff. <3

Top Bottom