• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well USB loader isnt working now is it.

I dont know how CFG stopped working for you. I just updated it a few months ago and no problems outside of the fact that it defaults to flow instead of a text list which i prefer.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Is there any reason someone couldn't do something in PM similar to the hack in 20XX that allows you to stick two character tags together? I could totally dig a 10 character limit.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well USB loader isnt working now is it.

I dont know how CFG stopped working for you. I just updated it a few months ago and no problems outside of the fact that it defaults to flow instead of a text list which i prefer.
It's working perfectly fine. There was nothing wrong with the previous version, so I'm just using that again. Playing PM again right now, so no skin off my bones about the new one.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So they are gonna be revealing a new character for MKX later today at 3 pm CST. I will be at work but I'm hearing alot of Ermac talk and Rain. I hope they do a double whammy though.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
K dude sorry if I offended you ;)

Seriously though, it was really more of a "oh gimp means this? huh, that's awkward" kind of feeling instead of...I don't know, getting triggered? If people don't actually take offense then no harm no foul for now. It just looked like it was in the same offensive pattern as "****" and how people aren't cool with that now compared to the earlier days of the scene, but if gimp is much less offensive then whatever.

If anything I'm more curious about where the term came from in the first place. I guess some smashers watched Pulp Fiction and one thing lead to another? Because before I used this term I'd usually think of "gimp" as the free mode Photoshop. You wouldn't happen to know the etymology behind it, would you? Well, anyone really, but I'm genuinely impressed with your vernacular @ Jaedrik Jaedrik
I don't know. You're probably right on the Pulp Fiction count popularizing it.
According to Dictionary.com, Gimp in the sense it's usually meant (I think)--"Usually Disparaging and Offensive. a term used to refer to a person who limps or is lame."--comes from "1920-25, Americanism; origin uncertain." The other origins/meanings is something to do with 17th century Dutch.
Theatrics aside, I feel like I should make more concessions. Tact often demands we don't offend others when speaking to them, aye, and we shouldn't abuse the gift of language itself.
But, I still don't see how offending someone in and of itself is inherently bad. Sure, if it can be reasonably assumed that it would make them do wrong by hearing it then we shouldn't say it, but I doubt most people are like this. At least I would hope, since the ideal is to be unshaken and at peace at all times.
And, again, it's silly for an offended party to single one phrase out when the rest of the game can easily be taken as offensive by merely the play of it since it is rife with hurting and death etc.. I think this indicates something wrong with them and their perception of our usage, rather than our usage.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Death in Smash Brothers? What? A Team Rocket style star KO brings you right back to the stage. And if you were really worried how the characters were doing, they show up at the end of a match to clap for the winner unharmed.

Don't confuse harsh sounding euphemisms like suiciding and gimping with in-game events, which is closer to a Mixed Martial Arts Tournament for cartoon characters.

And I don't think that is generally a strong argument anyway: That show/game is really violent but one casual use of an offensive slur/**** scenario offends you. Hypocrite! Entirely different things that aren't interchangeable and doesn't say anything about something being wrong with the person for feeling that way.

It's only when you keep harping on something with a vendetta against the artists do you enter SJW territory.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Death in Smash Brothers? What? A Team Rocket style star KO brings you right back to the stage. And if you were really worried how the characters were doing, they show up at the end of a match to clap for the winner unharmed.

Don't confuse harsh sounding euphemisms like suiciding and gimping with in-game events, which is closer to a Mixed Martial Arts Tournament for cartoon characters.

And I don't think that is generally a strong argument anyway: That show/game is really violent but one casual use of an offensive slur/**** scenario offends you. Hypocrite! Entirely different things that aren't interchangeable and doesn't say anything about something being wrong with the person for feeling that way.

It's only when you keep harping on something with a vendetta against the artists do you enter SJW territory.
As I said on the previous page, death is the most negative plausible interpretation. 'Tis why I separated hurting and death. I probably should've said or instead of and.

I'll maintain that it's an inconsistency where concerned with gimp. To gimp someone is to debilitate someone, hence directly connected with violence. Just as the MMA, which though far safer than boxing, injuries sometimes happen, so close but not too close. Gimp is used at least technically correctly in the sense that they're using violence to hamper their opponent's normally operating recovery faculty, just like a normally operating leg or arm faculty. There's certainly nothing wrong with using gimp in this sense, or suicide in this sense. I also don't quite get what you mean by 'something being wrong with the person for feeling that way'. I mean, if someone is being inconsistent that merely means there's an error somewhere in their reasoning. But, I doubt the people who are offended at the usage of gimp mean it in the same way. What I'm saying here is that it's silly to get all uppity about our usage of gimp when it is clearly not morally wrong to do so.

Edit: Rip Kage

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
what the **** are you talking about, i thought this thread was about waifus not 3deep5u #trigger warning death

Bleck

Smash Master
What I'm saying here is that it's silly to get all uppity about our usage of gimp when it is clearly not morally wrong to do so.
tell me more about how you're the boss of how other people feel

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
tell me more about how you're the boss of how other people feel
I believe you misunderstand me, sir, but I'm not sure where it is. So, please tell me more about how I'm the boss of how other people feel.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Ok, Ok, ok.

I have made a forum for the fighting game thing myself and others from SWF have started. If you really want to get in on designing an indy fighter with us, MESSAGE ME and I will get your contact info and send you to the forum.

Take -that- weird conversation limits.

Bazkip

Smash Master
So a couple days back I noticed that my Twitter account had somehow being hijacked by Turks

I was able to kick them out and reclaim my account.
It just now occurred to me that...I have successfully removed kebab.

Last edited:

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
(continue) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO000000000OOOOOOOO0o0O)o))o)O0O0)o0oo0O)oooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGJHBGDHADSSEAHSGDATNKAUP<!42176298236hflknfy546gjdcyr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!11

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Do you think everything that has happened with Apex is PM's soul vying for revenge:
First, PM gets taken out, but SSF2 continues it's booth and SmashCapps even posts this (these 2 are unrelated, but proof is proof). Even Melee gets 1K+ people in it, as if PM was holding it back. Then a bunch of stupidity goes from and to Apex's direction, in no 100% accurate order:
Customs are banned, Miis get 2222 and 3333 banned, they ban Skyloft and Wuhu, Alex Strife steps down on harassment allegations, and a whole bunch of background abuse from him is revealed. Chibo speaks out about this and Apex stops with Clash Tournaments for it. Really bad weather hits the city, and Apex decides to continue, even though many people can't get flights in. M2K leaves EMP(not really related), SSBC loses streaming rights... If Nintendo pulls sponsorship at the last moment I won't be surprised.

And it al started with PM being taken out. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

#PM4Apex'15

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Do you think everything that has happened with Apex is PM's soul vying for revenge:
First, PM gets taken out, but SSF2 continues it's booth and SmashCapps even posts this (these 2 are unrelated, but proof is proof). Even Melee gets 1K+ people in it, as if PM was holding it back. Then a bunch of stupidity goes from and to Apex's direction, in no 100% accurate order:
Customs are banned, Miis get 2222 and 3333 banned, they ban Skyloft and Wuhu, Alex Strife steps down on harassment allegations, and a whole bunch of background abuse from him is revealed. Chibo speaks out about this and Apex stops with Clash Tournaments for it. Really bad weather hits the city, and Apex decides to continue, even though many people can't get flights in. M2K leaves EMP(not really related), SSBC loses streaming rights... If Nintendo pulls sponsorship at the last moment I won't be surprised.

And it al started with PM being taken out. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

#PM4Apex'15
It was secretly a plan by @Warchamp7 to destroy apex from within

Illuminati confirmed

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
It was secretly a plan by @Warchamp7 to destroy apex from within

Illuminati confirmed
@Warchamp7's last character in the name is 7. Apex has 4 letters in it. 7-4=3. A Triangle has 3 sides. Illuminati has a triangle. The word triangle has an I. the illuminati triangle has an eye in it.

I think we know where this is going...

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
I'd always mentally classified using 'gimp'/'lame' pejoratively speaking as not really being insulting to the people to which it pertains -- unlike being gay or straight or black or white or blue or whatever, nobody wants to be crippled - it doesn't really serve as the center of anyone's identity, except insofar as some people are forced to adapt to it in a society where most of us take our able bodies completely for granted. This is why we lexically separate the injury (ie. a gimp leg) from the identity of the person dealing with it.

I may be in the wrong there, but I'm reasonably sure that 10/10 people dealing with disabilities would agree that being lame is, uh, lame.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
This reminds me of the story of that lady that wanted a doctor to cut her spinal cord to fulfill her dream of becoming wheelchair-bound.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Awww.... There goes the Kage/Bizzaro MM.

My intuition tells me that the removal of hazards in 8 player mode has more to do with memory limits.
Characters in Brawl and Smash 4 have large memory footprints, thanks in large part to the final smash assets and higher model/GFX fidelity. I see no use in complaining about that.

If there IS something to complain about, it would be why these hazard-less non Omega stages aren't playable outside of 5+ player matches.

Last edited:

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
i'm not really familiar with 8 player mode in smash 4 but what stages does it have that regular versus doesn't? it's dumb that you can't play on 8 player stages in regular versus mode even though you already have big battlefield

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Awww.... There goes the Kage/Bizzaro MM.

My intuition tells me that the removal of hazards in 8 player mode has more to do with memory limits.
Characters in Brawl and Smash 4 have large memory footprints, thanks in large part to the final smash assets and higher model/GFX fidelity. I see no use in complaining about that.

If there IS something to complain about, it would be why these hazard-less non Omega stages aren't playable outside of 5+ player matches.
You realize you could always just go into 8 player mode with two people rite

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Doing so turns on the hazards again. for the hazards to be gone there must be 5 players or more in the match.
So unless you want 3 other dummy players to just SD twice at the start........

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Doing so turns on the hazards again. for the hazards to be gone there must be 5 players or more in the match.
So unless you want 3 other dummy players to just SD twice at the start........
Why not

I dont play smash 4 anyways kek

Top Bottom