• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I didn't play dk64 as a child, but going back to it doesn't make it that great of a game. It's fun, but as with a lot of 3D games, I just find the 3D needless. DKC is much better imo. In the same vein, I prefer 2D Mario and Zelda games. That said, 3D leads to excellent glitches and speed runs.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Did you try to complete Sunshine?
Cause trying to 100% it WILL make you hate that game. I guarantee it.

In other news, Bomb Bowling.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Did you try to complete Sunshine?
Cause trying to 100% it WILL make you hate that game. I guarantee it.
I did complete it actually. It was surprisingly fun, partly because of the nostalgia after picking it up again after 7 years. If I ever get into speedrunning, I'll probably choose sunshine.

In other news, Bomb Bowling.
Never understood why Egoraptor hated it so much.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
There has yet to be a 3D Mario game I haven't 100%'d. Of them, Galaxy 2 frustrated me the most. For Galaxy 1, repeating the game as Luigi for the true 100% was fun. In Galaxy 2 it was just infinitely annoying to just wander around levels looking for hidden stars.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
There has yet to be a 3D Mario game I haven't 100%'d. Of them, Galaxy 2 frustrated me the most. For Galaxy 1, repeating the game as Luigi for the true 100% was fun. In Galaxy 2 it was just infinitely annoying to just wander around levels looking for hidden stars.
Defeating the Final Run was insanely satisfying though. At least for me.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sunshine is my favorite Mario game :p.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It's mine as well.
Sunshine is a 10/10 game as far as I'm concerned. It's the only Mario game where I actually really enjoyed the world for just the world itself, not the level design/platforming/etc. Delphino and it's inhabitants was fantastic.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I did complete it actually. It was surprisingly fun, partly because of the nostalgia after picking it up again after 7 years. If I ever get into speedrunning, I'll probably choose sunshine.
By completing, I mean getting all the Shine Sprites/Blue Coins, not just beating Bowser.

Nostalgia will get you through everything, even the worst thing ever to come out of 3d Mario, that Pachinko machine.

He had a really bad time with it I bet. The sequences that play are all scenarios where Bomb Bowling has failed him, some of which are his fault, others.... look like a glitch or are due to how it controls. There's one that looks like it should bounce around billiard style down the bridge's walls, but the collision detection has caused the bomb to roll back in his face. There are also a lot that look like it failed due to the motion controls... key words being looked like.

Took me a second re watch of the sequence to get what was going on, but I pieced it together.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
100%ing games is a bit silly. If I don't wanna do a silly timed trade quest for a silly statistically better sword, I shouldn't do it. That's the point of optional content. If I don't like certain levels in a Mario game, I get the stars I do like.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
It's mine as well.
Sunshine is a 10/10 game as far as I'm concerned. It's the only Mario game where I actually really enjoyed the world for just the world itself, not the level design/platforming/etc. Delphino and it's inhabitants was fantastic.
and the music

and Mario having super powers, which makes 64 feel dull to me

and How do people like the White over the dark meat of chicken? It's indeed less tasty

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????

would like to use this new ban of something stall-teams don't like to point out that smogon is also trying to ban mega gengar from ubers itself

I wanna repeat that for a moment: smogon wants a banlist for the banlist

the state of that site, good lord

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i've been looking around, but can't find, those videos describing spacing, space control, and dash dancing in melee. trying to find stuff to introduce and explain the melee fundamentals to my brother, and i remember those being real useful, just can't find them anywhere...

SpiderMad

Smash Master
i've been looking around, but can't find, those videos describing spacing, space control, and dash dancing in melee. trying to find stuff to introduce and explain the melee fundamentals to my brother, and i remember those being real useful, just can't find them anywhere...
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqcfzvwmeIM_bjtHGSCDWlggTWe8ZisBj
http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-improvement-video-compilation.345203/
that'll be $5

here's a bonus combo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyBYSSsuWUo

Stop caring about competitive Pokemon noobs

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
would like to use this new ban of something stall-teams don't like to point out that smogon is also trying to ban mega gengar from ubers itself

I wanna repeat that for a moment: smogon wants a banlist for the banlist

the state of that site, good lord
My friend told me about that; I laughed so hard.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Like I said before, banning Aegislash benefits already strong Pokes more than it does making lesser ones more viable. It's basically done them more harm them good, so no **** Mega Mawile became dominating when it certainly wasn't like that before.

Whatever. So long as their precious Tyranitar and Garchomp are unthreatened, they don't care what they do.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
coincidentally, this puts the VGC14 finals in an even better light, what with the pachirisu winning unrivaled

it's almost like forcing people to adapt to threats over time is--dare I say it--healthier for competition than letting people kick and scream every time they have to deal with a new threat?

nah who am I kidding #banfox2014

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
100%ing games is a bit silly. If I don't wanna do a silly timed trade quest for a silly statistically better sword, I shouldn't do it. That's the point of optional content. If I don't like certain levels in a Mario game, I get the stars I do like.
I'm not sure if you were around or don't remember, but there was a large chunk of games from the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th Generations of games that either give you the bad ending or end abruptly if you don't 100% everything or defeat every boss. You also will miss out on content in those games. Before you had to pay to play those, you had to unlock and earn them. Let's take one of my favorite games, Demon's Crest for example.

When you first get access to the overworld, you see 4 areas. Keep in mind that almost every area has a hidden path with it's own theme, enemies, and boss that has to be cleared for completion. If you beat the 4 areas without completing them, you open Phalanx's lair. If you go beat Phalanx then, you get the bad ending and go straight to the title screen. However if you complete the 4 area, areas 5 and 6 open up. Completing those and getting a few hidden stuff will open area 7 which puts you on the proper path to the good ending. After that then you can go Phalanx's lair and get the good ending. Doing so gives you a secret password which gives you All the game's items and the previously unobtainable Ultimate Gargoyle form, as well as opens another new area which has the game's superboss, defeating which will give you the best ending.

So yeah there were a lot of games like that, and completing and finding things such as this can be very rewarding if the game rewards you right. Sunshine is a textbook example of a game that doesn't make it worth your time to 100% the game.
If they didn't want to hide levels and stages, they could've done something that affects gameplay in some form, like giving FLUDD a super nozzle, 100 lives a la Super Mario 64, enhacning Mario's attributes, etc.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
100% completions used to give you some badass rewards. A cheats menu, some crazy unlockable weapon, secret boss, extra playable character, new modes, secret ending, even just a level select. If there's an incentive for me to beat a game 100%, I'll do it.

If it's just for the fact that you did it, I often won't unless it's not that difficult. It's also why I don't see the appeal of trophy/achievement hunting. It doesn't do anything for me to platinum a game, it's often just a waste of time.

Last edited:

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.

I thought about speedrunning Sunshine. The opening cutscenes make you reconsider very quickly.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Guyz I am so disappointed in you
only ONE page sinc eyesterday? For shame

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Search in pm reddit, too lazy to do right now
EDIT: gj kayb

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
What Kai said. Speaking of Sethlon I just watched the hype finals between Mew2king and Sethlon god I am sad I missed the stream T_T

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Does this mean that Yoshi's parry works properly now? I can't seem to recall if it was the invincibility type that was messing it up, but it definitely has the right kind now.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Ya'know, i just realized, with how godlike yoshi's unpokeable shield with a fixed parry will be now that he can jump out of it, why not apply some tweaking and not even need to bother reworking invincibility? Just make those frames super armor instead of invinc. it won't be as good ofc because he'll still take damage and experience hitlag, but maybe that's a good thing. His shield is already going to be absurdly good anyways.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Ya'know, i just realized, with how godlike yoshi's unpokeable shield with a fixed parry will be now that he can jump out of it, why not apply some tweaking and not even need to bother reworking invincibility? Just make those frames super armor instead of invinc. it won't be as good ofc because he'll still take damage and experience hitlag, but maybe that's a good thing. His shield is already going to be absurdly good anyways.
So what's your stance on the mechanic Eternal linked

Top Bottom