• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I just realized the Smash documentary is 1/3 about staring at people's game faces

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So I have been thinking about this for a while but does anything think over time we lose ourselves to the competitive nature of smash with the hunger and/or egos that occupy it and that we relinquish our casual side so long ago? I've have been seeing this lately in my local area and trying to find a balance so I don't have my ego and my competitive hunger overtake me.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
So I have been thinking about this for a while but does anything think over time we lose ourselves to the competitive nature of smash with the hunger and/or egos that occupy it and that we relinquish our casual side so long ago? I've have been seeing this lately in my local area and trying to find a balance so I don't have my ego and my competitive hunger overtake me.
Are you high?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Ask yourself: do you still have fun playing on Termina Bay? If not, then you're probably a horrible person.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Are you high?
Naa bra not at lololol.

Ask yourself: do you still have fun playing on Termina Bay? If not, then you're probably a horrible person.
Yes I do but I have more fun on Poke Floats and Brinstar depths lolololol.

Also I hope this gif should be used for events when folks take too long Wrap It UP B.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
It can get hard to go back to playing "casualy" after you spend so many hours trying to optimize play and movement. Whether you find playing like that fun or not differs from person to person.

What we do at our ASU weeklies is do a side-event, which is normally doubles or PM, but sometimes we do jank/fun things like hype crew battles, low tier doubles, 3 character ban brackets, random character tournies, play your opponent's main tourneys, stuff like that. Once we get into the wee hours of the night is when we break out the REAL jank, creating out own minigames and stuff. One of my fondest memories was creating a game where in melee it was a time match, 3v1, the solo player chose the stage. The goal was to die the least in 2 min, which sounds lame but its more all about what you do with friends to find more ways to enjoy the game. Its fun creating black-hole glitches in Melee, just like its fun doing the yoshi/kirby shrink glitch. The hypest is sudden death 1 stock CPU tournies though. You aint got **** on my lvl8 green port 3 Pichu.

There competitive hunger and then theres enjoying a game with friends. Sometimes all it takes is a jank side bracket to find the balance. Try Giant Turbo mode brackets, or slow-mo 1 stock turbo, or play opponents main(s), etc. but make sure to take a poll from the people there so they are engaged, forced hype/fun isn't hype/fun.

at the end of the night its still a party game.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
It's really hard for me to let go of my casual side when all my friends are only mildly interested in Smash and we always play ffa's to not let anyone out.

I guess it's also worth noting that I still enjoy Brawl from time to time and am hella excited for Smash 4, even if it ends up being a letdown for most people here.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
**** I still play ffa's, just because certain people dont want 1v1's most of the time

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
**** I still play ffa's, just because certain people dont want 1v1's most of the time
that's exactly what it was like for us
****ing sucks
probably why i get bodied so hard
no practice outside of ffa's like 70% of the time

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I play casual just as well because I was a casual player at one point, and I know that items exist. You guys are just casual Johning right now.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I play casual just as well because I was a casual player at one point, and I know that items exist. You guys are just casual Johning right now.
I'm to broken to play with items. They know me as the item king and I can manipulate pokeballs.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
AZ plays with items all the time, how do you think Axe is so good? He plays with a lightball on his pikachu.

Pichu doesn't hurt itself, it just has a life-orb guys.

Player -0

Smash Hero
@ trash? trash?

I still think Pichu with Lucario's brawl mechanic would be hilarious. As you combo you become even more powerful but then you die in .00000091089132845 seconds from a knee. Remove the stocks power increase though.

Edit: I still want my questions answered.

Game mechanics & stuff question time:

(I actually messed up the wording for this earlier, fixed it here.)

People say when you're dashing you can do anything, I find it hard to do things out of a dash because you can't crouch, are you supposed to pivot out of dash or what?

Sometimes when I grab (example: after getting out of rapid jabs) I go into shield instead of grabbing. I know this is typically because it buffers shield instead of grab because you held it too long. In P:M you (mostly) don't have buffering so this shouldn't happen. I'm using wifi code set right now so that may affect it (10 frames of buffer, not sure if it happens offline) and if that's the reason it's happening I shouldn't worry about it for tournaments right?

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
considering I was the one who freaked abt this, I feel obligated to note:

new head of STL police, afaik? so, things went significantly better than the cynic in me assumed. (coincidentally, now that the officers in the protest resemble human beings and not faceless robots it's been p. peaceful since, whouda thunk it)

Lizalfos

Smash Master
My friends are better than me, but I always win ffa's. It is easy.
  1. Camp and taunt
  2. If one person combos another offstage, knock the aggressor off while they are edgeguarding and ledgehog them both.
  3. When it comes down to you and another person, do dumb stuff and style on them
Why aren't Icies good? They still have handoffs, and if you are skilled desync walls are good.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
My friends are better than me, but I always win ffa's. It is easy.
  1. Camp and taunt
  2. If one person combos another offstage, knock the aggressor off while they are edgeguarding and ledgehog them both.
  3. When it comes down to you and another person, do dumb stuff and style on them
Why aren't Icies good? They still have handoffs, and if you are skilled desync walls are good.
Their hand-offs don't work in 3.02 because throw release points are bugged, which also affects all of their other grab combos. Considering they are a grab based characters they are fundamentally broken in 3.02.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wobbles went IC's. Haven't seen his Mario yet on stream

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
@ Player -0 Player -0 When pivoting in dash, there is one frame where your character is in standing position. From this position, you can do anything, be it a smash, tilt, standing grab, whatever. Alternatively, you can also tilt-pivot, which causes your character to do a slow standing pivot allowing you more leeway to do your moves.

The reason you end up shielding when using the grab button is because grab is attack + shield and not a standalone input. When you press Z at a time where you can't still act, the game will ignore two inputs: Attack and shield. However, shield is a held input but attack isn't so once your character can move, shield is triggered. Now the reason it happens despite you not feeling like you held the button is because a single press will actually last for 2-3, maybe more frames due to the fact that you're human and not a machine. This is why SH is so hard with Fox/Sheik in Melee, dat 2 frame window.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'm actually quite comfortable grabbing with R+A
are you saying my habit actually has frame advantage?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Vex is probably top 3 item monster in Smash games. You all have no idea

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I am the item king. I dare you to throw **** at me.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
The average lunchable's meal has about 1,100 mg of sodium.

I think that one had a bit more than that.

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Nevermind the previous post. Let's recommend anime again. Or critic it. Or do anything involving stuff not Project M-like becuz social thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom