• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Lizalfos

Smash Master
You're watching something you don't want to watch because people at your school are watching it?

Are you trying to fit in?
Are you trying to deride them for liking a show by having the know how to bash on it because you know of its failings?

Either way, it sounds like you're watching it for all the wrong reasons.
Well when I watched the first Arc of SAO it wasn't bad until near the end. The lack of characterization became apparent as I moved on to the second arc, which was terrible. Gungale is better than Alfheim, and its interesting because someone might die, but all of the characters internal conflicts (I killed someone justifiably in self defense! Oh noes! PTSD!) are really unconvincing and slows everything to an annoying halt. I guess its their way of giving Krito some character and emotional baggage, but its just terrible.

I'm watching it so I can talk about it with friends and also finish what I've started. I thought maybe the 3rd arc would fix problems in the show, but it really isn't delivering so far.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
but all of the characters internal conflicts (I killed someone justifiably in self defense! Oh noes! PTSD!) are really unconvincing and slows everything to an annoying halt.
Have you ever made a game killed a person?

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
SAO could have been good if they had just dedicated the whole series to the original game.
It would have given them more time to actually explore the world, and develop characters more fully. Too many characters were introduced for just one episode, and the pacing was so on and off. There was way too much "we got through levels X-Y in the time between this episode and the last!" but then you have some things take up more than an episode.

But, as it stands I basically just chalk SAO as another series that could have been good if it had just done some things differently.
For instance, I recently tried to get into Attack on Titan. I knew nothing about the series other than seemingly everybody loves it, so I came into it blind.
My thoughts after the first few episodes: Damn, this is really cool! Humanity is on the brink of destruction, these titans are just enough of a draw to get me to want to know more, and they have a lot of room to explore the human condition if they develop the characters well enough.
And then... there was the whole human-titan transformation stuff... and I immediately lost interest.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Have you ever made a game killed a person?
Neither have the people who have worked on SAO. The whole performance is just very unconvincing. The girl who shot the guy at the bank makes more sense. Kirito hardly felt remorse for the one person he kills in the first arc, so bringing it up now feels like they are just pulling it out of their fanservice booties. Like I said, PTSD depicted in fiction is rarely done well and I just feel like you should only do it if your performance is very convincing since you do have to live up to the real thing. Its unconvincing that Kirito feels PTSD, because he was trapped in a game world where progressing towards escape increased his chances of dying, despite this, in his adventure he rarely faltered, and its not like he is afraid of going back into full-dive games. The writing is so lazy. They said, "Hey this kinda sounds like a good internal conflict!" and never really thought about what they have established about Kirito so far.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Well when I watched the first Arc of SAO it wasn't bad until near the end. The lack of characterization became apparent as I moved on to the second arc, which was terrible. Gungale is better than Alfheim, and its interesting because someone might die, but all of the characters internal conflicts (I killed someone justifiably in self defense! Oh noes! PTSD!) are really unconvincing and slows everything to an annoying halt. I guess its their way of giving Krito some character and emotional baggage, but its just terrible.

I'm watching it so I can talk about it with friends and also finish what I've started. I thought maybe the 3rd arc would fix problems in the show, but it really isn't delivering so far.
Read the books. Alfheim is still ass there though :I
Overall, the books/anime accurately portray mmo communities and the people in them though, which is what it should be doing.

Also wtf is wrong with you, she was like 5, of course any 5 year old would be traumatized by blowing someone's brains out!

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Yeah, thats why Sinon's internal conflict is better, it gives her motivation in the story. Kirito on the other hand already had a mission, but his PTSD is preventing him from just getting on with it, super annoying.

I guess they are supposed to bond over their 'similarities'. I can see that working. The 3rd arc is still ongoing, so it might get better.

I can easily see how the LN could be much better.

Last edited:

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
For instance, I recently tried to get into Attack on Titan. I knew nothing about the series other than seemingly everybody loves it, so I came into it blind.
My thoughts after the first few episodes: Damn, this is really cool! Humanity is on the brink of destruction, these titans are just enough of a draw to get me to want to know more, and they have a lot of room to explore the human condition if they develop the characters well enough.
And then... there was the whole human-titan transformation stuff... and I immediately lost interest.
I was trying to find a reason to explain why I lost interest in that show, and I think that's it, it's really hard for any anime show to hold my attention

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Yeah, thats why Sinon's internal conflict is better, it gives her motivation in the story. Kirito on the other hand already had a mission, but his PTSD is preventing him from just getting on with it, super annoying.

I guess they are supposed to bond over their 'similarities'. I can see that working. The 3rd arc is still ongoing, so it might get better.

I can easily see how the LN could be much better.
Idk if the anime just ****ed it up or something, but he doesnt have ptsd in the books. It's more just him remembering Death Gun's killing intent from SAO and it just puts him on edge.

But yeah LN's go way more into detail. The guy is even running a second series along the original that pretty much goes floor by floor, but from Asuna's POV.

I just hope they make it to the Alicization arc, that's when **** gets real

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Neither have the people who have worked on SAO. The whole performance is just very unconvincing. The girl who shot the guy at the bank makes more sense. Kirito hardly felt remorse for the one person he kills in the first arc, so bringing it up now feels like they are just pulling it out of their fanservice booties. Like I said, PTSD depicted in fiction is rarely done well and I just feel like you should only do it if your performance is very convincing since you do have to live up to the real thing. Its unconvincing that Kirito feels PTSD, because he was trapped in a game world where progressing towards escape increased his chances of dying, despite this, in his adventure he rarely faltered, and its not like he is afraid of going back into full-dive games. The writing is so lazy. They said, "Hey this kinda sounds like a good internal conflict!" and never really thought about what they have established about Kirito so far.
Let's assume with all the information you just said, what if it's not PTSD?

These could just be bad memories surfacing because of his encounter. When he figured out he was an SAO survivor he didn't get like that yet, when he found out it was a laughing coffin member, that's when he started having a nervous breakdown. Probably due to the fact that he knows that people die permanently in SAO, and he's talking to someone from that very same guild. It could easily just be his guilt kicking in, him just being scared of laughing coffin in general, or anything else.

And even if it is PTSD, it was triggered by something extremely relevant to it. You would think that online games in general would do it, but he's a gamer and still has good memories from there as well so that's not a definite cause. His bad memories just happened to resurface due to the encounter with Death gun.

Similar to how war veterans may not always be plagued by PTSD, but can be affected by the symptoms if situations that remind them of their traumas appear in their normal lives. (Example: Fireworks going off that may remind them of gunfire and the war. Which in turn brings back the memories of the people they killed, or the people they watched die.)

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Log Horizon is a ripoff

Also Spike Spiegel is anime jesus, gtfo
Spike Spiegel was really human in CB, not sure what you're talking about. Kirito pretty much has nothing bad ever happen to him and when it does/almost does he preeeeeetty much gets his way anyway.

Also it squeezed tentacles into it twice somehow, anime pls.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
It says it right on it, man. That's what happens every time Axe fights Silent Wolf.

EDIT: Lain is anime Jesus you nerds.

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
SAO's writing is dumb, I watch it because it I like to see cool looking MMO stuff.
The anime I'm watching for the plot right now are Zankyō No Terror and Aldnoah Zero.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Guys, is Roy good on small or big stages?

I'm going to SG in a bit and I plan on using Fox, Roy and ZSS only, no Link

I think ZSS is good on small stages but I have no idea for Roy, also any known bad matchups for ZSS and Roy?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Guys, is Roy good on small or big stages?

I'm going to SG in a bit and I plan on using Fox, Roy and ZSS only, no Link

I think ZSS is good on small stages but I have no idea for Roy, also any known bad matchups for ZSS and Roy?
They both offer good things for Roy, so it's really matchup dependent and personal preference.
Large stages can allow Roy to make use of his superior mobility compared to a good chunk of the cast. Excellent dash dance, fast run speed, long wavedash. But Roy has abysmal physics when it comes to getting combo'd, so large stages can allow your opponent to prolong their already harsh punishment.
Small stages don't give you room to use your mobility as well, but Roy can kill absurdly early on small stages. Plus smaller stages can be favorable for escaping combos when there's basically always a platform above you. And his recovery is terrible enough that there isn't much of a difference between Roy's survival across varying sized stages, so in general Roy can get more from small boundaries than opponents.
The only thing I would avoid as Roy to be honest is a lack of platforms. Roy gets punished absurdly hard(er than usual) when there's no platforms to escape to, and his platform game (both his movement across them and his ability to cover every option when an opponent is on a platform with moves like Uair/Utilt/Dair) is quite strong.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Sword Art Online became bad when the series pretty much lost it's direction and had no idea what it wanted to be. It becomes a detective/mystery show (a ****ty one) at one point, a slice of life (also a ****ty one) at another, then it transitions to action (it's pretty hard to **** up action, unless you routinely make up rules on the fly which takes away from the tension), then it starts becoming a freaking psychology lesson.

Why was it in entire first half have they never really looked into the minds of people being trapped against their will inside a game that can really kill them? It may have been discussed like a few times in passing, but it was never emphasized. They just lived as if they were normal characters and we were supposed to accept that. There's rarely any tension in the quests and they didn't really give a clear explanation on how combat actually works. Especially since people can just seemingly break the rules when they want. You can't kill people in a town unless you challenge them to a duel, but then some people are able to do it anyway? How can you access the admin controls when you're just a player? Things like that.

Doesn't help that Kirito is the most uninteresting, blandest anime hero I've ever had the displeasure of watching, with standard vanilla good guy personality and zero unique traits that make him relatable or even stand out. He doesn't seem real, he's just character who moves at the will of the writer's pen and he reacts to situations almost exactly how you'd expect him to. If you want a good examples of a multidimensional protagonists done right, look at Spike Spiegel or Edward Elric.

What could have been an interesting premise for a good show, instead we have an extremely generic lead character one shot everyone, go through lackluster side quests, interact with abysmally weak trope side characters that were only there to fill up space on the screen, and a crappy villain, all within a game, with a questionable method of how those games were even allowed to be sold. We were shown a realistic world, so why in the **** did the government allow ****ing microwaves on your head that can be turned on and kill you with the flip of a switch be sold not only to adults, but children as well?

The only saving grace are in a couple of action sequences, but again, it's pretty hard to mess that up anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom