• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
im makin another video, so if you have any funny or weird clips and are down with DJ Sharpnel, feel free to send me stuff
I love your combo vids; hype. Is this going to be centered around falcon again, or the entire cast?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Damn man that Kickstarter banner freaked me out when I reloaded the page... @ Warchamp7 Warchamp7 I assume?
No actually

I'll never forget the day that I got que'd up in Lol ranked and ran into warchamp
That was the game that lost me my gold promos the 2nd time around ;_;
lesson learned, website programers can't carry blind ADCs as ahri

I was supporting a draven as leona and I literally deep warded their blue as they were doing it, rengar came down for a lvl 2 gank in vision the wole time, I pinged him, draven still didn't leave the wave qq
ranked leauge is litterally throwing 5 people into a locked room and not only expecting them to get along, but to be productive and cooperative the whole time. Game design 101 right?
coordinated teams is fascinating though.
Is that the game I annihilated everyone with my pop star powers and we still lost?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Attracted to fictional prepubescent girl. "LOL SHE'S ACTUALLY OVER 800 YEARS OLD, TOTALLY NOT PEDO"

Attracted to fictional fully-developed adult woman. "She's actually only 7 years old, dude. You're a pedophile! lmao"

Age does not mean sh*t in a fantastical context.
So with that, you don't refute that you were trolling for the sake of itself, right?
lol idiot

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
I love your combo vids; hype. Is this going to be centered around falcon again, or the entire cast?
oh, this one is actually going to be like a joke vid or w/e. Just fun stuff rather than combos, since more fun stuff happens than combos lmao

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Hi, I have a question for anyone who knows about modding controllers/swapping parts.

You know how some controllers that have been used for a while have "looser" control sticks, and newer ones usually have stricter ones, in regards to how hard you have to tilt to register a slight press? Does that sensitivity come from something on the bottom of the stick itself, or the connections inside the controller or whatever? (Keep in mind that I've never seen the inside of a GCN controller and I have no idea what I'm talking about). I have a white controller that has a stick that constantly throws me off when I play Smash because I swear it messes up a lot of my inputs, and I sometimes have to fight to do basic movements and adapt to the stick in the middle of a match. I also have a much older orange controller, which feels completely perfect to me in every way, except that the rubber on the stick is torn, which physically gives me trouble playing Smash at a high level (I still use that controller for all my casual Gamecube games at home though, because it's fine for everything else).

So my question is, if I put a different control stick into my orange controller, would it still have the looser feeling that the current one has? Or would it take on the stiffness of whatever stick I put into it? This could really improve my P:M gameplay if I manage to fix one of my controllers.

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub
Hi, I have a question for anyone who knows about modding controllers/swapping parts.

You know how some controllers that have been used for a while have "looser" control sticks, and newer ones usually have stricter ones, in regards to how hard you have to tilt to register a slight press? Does that sensitivity come from something on the bottom of the stick itself, or the connections inside the controller or whatever? (Keep in mind that I've never seen the inside of a GCN controller and I have no idea what I'm talking about). I have a white controller that has a stick that constantly throws me off when I play Smash because I swear it messes up a lot of my inputs, and I sometimes have to fight to do basic movements and adapt to the stick in the middle of a match. I also have a much older orange controller, which feels completely perfect to me in every way, except that the rubber on the stick is torn, which physically gives me trouble playing Smash at a high level (I still use that controller for all my casual Gamecube games at home though, because it's fine for everything else).

So my question is, if I put a different control stick into my orange controller, would it still have the looser feeling that the current one has? Or would it take on the stiffness of whatever stick I put into it? This could really improve my P:M gameplay if I manage to fix one of my controllers.
Yes, it will have the same "looser" feeling.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Your orange controller will retain all the properties of its control stick if you swap out the stick. In fact I highly recommend doing this.

The part of the control stick that you are replacing is just a "cover" for it. Like the cap to a pen. So the pen itself stays the same, writes the same, it just has a different cap.

You'll want a tri-wing screwdriver so you don't end up stripping the screws. Buying one from here helps support SmashBoards.

Taking apart my controllers and learning about the insides and replacing parts has been a very fruitful experience for me in a lot of ways. I recommend every serious Smasher do it to learn more about the controller and to make their controller as good and natural feeling as possible.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I was just grabbed by the last titan in Trost in the attack on titan fan game. It was going to be the first time I'd have completed that game.

I have unusually high sodium levels right now.

Last edited:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Your orange controller will retain all the properties of its control stick if you swap out the stick. In fact I highly recommend doing this.

The part of the control stick that you are replacing is just a "cover" for it. Like the cap to a pen. So the pen itself stays the same, writes the same, it just has a different cap.
Great, this exactly what I was hoping. The broken rubber is literally the only thing stopping me from using it, so if I can give it a fresh stick and keep the old feel of it, it will be so much better for me to play with. Now that I'm sure how it works I'm gonna try to do this when I get a chance (or find someone who knows how).

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I just started watching Attack on Titan. I really like it. I wanted my roommate to watch it with me, but with his bad eyesight and slow reading speed, concentrating on subtitles and paying attention to the action at the same time is an unusual strain for him. I tried googling for a dubbed version but to no avail. Iirc all I could find was Like the first 15 episodes... for 95 USD.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Taking apart my controllers and learning about the insides and replacing parts has been a very fruitful experience for me in a lot of ways. I recommend every serious Smasher do it to learn more about the controller and to make their controller as good and natural feeling as possible.
I'm too much of a b*tch to do it for fear of messing it up when putting it back together and being worse off than when I started.

Ironic because I can mod arcade sticks no problem. I guess cuz it's bigger.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
I got a few friends to watch it, it's hard to get people into anime over here because it's way harder to find French subtitles and people are too lazy to learn English. Which is weird because everybody claims dragon ball as their bible of badassery.

On custom controllers : I just bought some stuff for mine. It's going to have an orange layout with a white controller's longer cord, and a black nunchuck control stick. I may or may not remove the spring on R, idk yet.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
And slowly but surely the internet is loosing it's freedom to people with money.

http://gigaom.com/2014/04/24/when-i...cc-thinks-were-idiots-or-it-just-doesnt-care/
You do understand this will not affect anything it aims to, right?
Pirating will INCREASE, etc.

Balkanizing the internet will change nothing except how comprehensive DRM/encryption/ect. circumvention software is,
and efficient they are.
This is all talk, and no results, when put to practice.

Let Whack-a-hacker-and-have-100s-more-take-their-place continue.

Wrong guy, brah.
Wrong indeed.
My bad.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
WES putting smash community on blast in a new series I hope he continues with.

Also the return of button combo e-mote game time
:wolf::GCR::GCR::GCA: wait for whiff then punish with :GCZ::GCL::GCR::GCR::GCA::GCX::GCCU::GCLT::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCL::GCX::GCCD::GCLT::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCCD::GCD::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCR::GCB:

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm too much of a b*tch to do it for fear of messing it up when putting it back together and being worse off than when I started.

Ironic because I can mod arcade sticks no problem. I guess cuz it's bigger.
GameCube controllers are actually pretty legit on the inside. Everything is nice and easy in there. I've also taken apart an Xbox 360 controller and that thing sucked to put back together.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
WES putting smash community on blast in a new series I hope he continues with.

Also the return of button combo e-mote game time
:wolf::GCR::GCR::GCA: wait for whiff then punish with :GCZ::GCL::GCR::GCR::GCA::GCX::GCCU::GCLT::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCL::GCX::GCCD::GCLT::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCCD::GCD::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCR::GCB:
I'm confused by the beginning of that. You're back throwing, then doing a...dash attack to the right???

Also I don't agree about low tier tourneys at all lol, most low tiers can't realistically compete in all-chars-legal events. It works for pokemon, I don't see why it wouldn't for smash. There's a lot of characters and not a lot of diversity, there's nothing wrong with giving them a chance to shine and be explored competitively without being seen as nothing but a hindrance to the player.

Melee players 2 tryhard.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
GameCube controllers are actually pretty legit on the inside. Everything is nice and easy in there. I've also taken apart an Xbox 360 controller and that thing sucked to put back together.
Oh nice, now I feel less stupid about not being able to get my 360 controller back together after I took it apart to clean it

Time to mess around with my GC controllers

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Yeah Spiffy when Wes says "you never see any high tier tournaments" I'm like "no **** we see them all the time as it is!"

I don't think he presented his position well on the low tier topic for the video.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh nice, now I feel less stupid about not being able to get my 360 controller back together after I took it apart to clean it

Time to mess around with my GC controllers
The one piece of advice I have to go for putting back together your GCN controller:

Start with the front (top) faceplate, hold it face down, put all the buttons in (including Z, but not L or R obviously), put the pads on top of the buttons, put the motherboard on top of that, then put the back (bottom) faceplate on top to close.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I'm confused by the beginning of that. You're back throwing, then doing a...dash attack to the right???

Also I don't agree about low tier tourneys at all lol, most low tiers can't realistically compete in all-chars-legal events. It works for pokemon, I don't see why it wouldn't for smash. There's a lot of characters and not a lot of diversity, there's nothing wrong with giving them a chance to shine and be explored competitively without being seen as nothing but a hindrance to the player.
Probably because they know competitive Melee would actually be a worse game when you take the top tiers out of the picture. Think about it: a lot of what makes Melee interesting and deep at high levels is what the top tiers bring to the table. Take them out then then what makes Melee fast and exciting to watch at high levels is gone. If you think about it, a lot of what makes fighting games interesting usually comes from what the best characters in the game can do - whether or not the developers intended it or not. A lot of the time, high and top tiers will have strong and interesting options. Take them out and you end up with characters with options that are not as strong and just not as interesting.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
^Sure, maybe if Fox and Falco being the most common mains is "interesting" to you.
Riiiiight.

They are both boring and monotonous past a line that's long since been crossed, sir, as is high level play in almost
any game you can name.

Vashimus

Smash Master
^Sure, maybe if Fox and Falco being the most common mains is "interesting" to you.
Riiiiight.

They are both boring and monotonous past a line that's long since been crossed, sir, as is high level play in almost
any game you can name.
It's not just Fox and Falco. Battles between even the top ten in Melee are actually much more entertaining than anything the bottom half of the cast could muster with their matchups. In Melee, Bowser vs Ness will just never be as hype as something like Marth vs Fox. Just because I believe that doesn't mean I'm okay with the character balance. I wouldn't have been playing this mod for 3 years otherwise.

3rd Strike Chun is in a similar situation (her worst is 5:5 against Yun) and the characters below her also are quite dominant, but I've never seen legitimate players cry out for low-tier tourneys or (in Brawl's case) bans. The game and it's system is interesting enough that it has survived for over a decade without any sort of balance patch, just like Melee.

In my opinion, if a game needs balance to be interesting and engaging at high level play, then that's a sign that there might be more than a few problems with the underlying game itself.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Riiiiight.

any game you can name
Yeah?

Makes me wonder why we even play any games at high level.

Geez.

It's almost like your argument just evaporated with that statement.

Smooth Criminal

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
I was just grabbed by the last titan in Trost in the attack on titan fan game. It was going to be the first time I'd have completed that game.

I have unusually high sodium levels right now.
I lose my **** when I play in the titan forest on abnormal mode. Damn titan's jumping at you and stuff.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
There are hype Samus and Yoshi matches in Melee, and they are pretty low tier. Well, Samus is closer to mid tier but still you see my point.

I feel like it's exaggerating to say that low tier Melee is trash tier by default.

Last edited:

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Probably because they know competitive Melee would actually be a worse game when you take the top tiers out of the picture. Think about it: a lot of what makes Melee interesting and deep at high levels is what the top tiers bring to the table. Take them out then then what makes Melee fast and exciting to watch at high levels is gone. If you think about it, a lot of what makes fighting games interesting usually comes from what the best characters in the game can do - whether or not the developers intended it or not. A lot of the time, high and top tiers will have strong and interesting options. Take them out and you end up with characters with options that are not as strong and just not as interesting.
It's not just the characters that makes the game interesting, it's the puzzle that they present to players: here's a character, now do everything you can possibly come up with to break the **** out of it, optimize every possible aspect of your gameplay. That's what's interesting. A solid engine, decent balance, unique characters with enough variety...that's all you need, and if you ask me Melee's low tier characters have all of that stuff in spades. The neutral game might be a little slower in comparison, the punishes a bit less extreme, but other than that I really don't see how it would differ much from Melee the way it is currently played.

There's a reason PM tries to remain true to the style and feel of even the lowest tier Melee characters. It's because those characters are all very unique and there are a LOT of people who find those characters fun even though they're either not very good in comparison to the top tiers or have weaknesses that are easily exploited by the top tiers.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Third strike is the closest game to Melee, besides the other Smash games.

Last edited:

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Great, this exactly what I was hoping. The broken rubber is literally the only thing stopping me from using it, so if I can give it a fresh stick and keep the old feel of it, it will be so much better for me to play with. Now that I'm sure how it works I'm gonna try to do this when I get a chance (or find someone who knows how).
If I end up going to Smashing Grounds on Thursday I'll bring my Tri-wing with me and help you out. I've opened plenty of GC controllers, and customized at least 10 players controllers.

Top Bottom