• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Gen 4 was the Gen 2 remakes which destroys the originals super hard that I can't go back to the originals anymore.

Also I still stand by my list of Gen 2/5/3/4/1/6
Well, I don't count HG/SS as being Gen 4 content wise, literally the only changes they made were the Battle Frontier and then the Safari Zone in the mountains of Cianwood. I have SS and am actually playing it at this very moment, but I still consider it Gen 2. The story and all original Pokemon locations were unchanged, though it did merge in some Crystal plot with Suicune. Though I have SS, I've never played DPPt which is what I consider to be Gen4.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Play Platinum it's godlike. That is all also I need to pick up Soul Silver at a Wal-Mart soon cause HG/SS carts are going for crazy prices online now.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I mean, I guess I technically have played Diamond before but it was on an emulator. I was curious about what the game was like so I played it for a little bit, but not in any depth. Certainly not enough to give a true rating for it, but I will say the OST is incredible.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Well, I don't count HG/SS as being Gen 4 content wise, literally the only changes they made were the Battle Frontier and then the Safari Zone in the mountains of Cianwood. I have SS and am actually playing it at this very moment, but I still consider it Gen 2. The story and all original Pokemon locations were unchanged, though it did merge in some Crystal plot with Suicune. Though I have SS, I've never played DPPt which is what I consider to be Gen4.
I have over 500 hours clocked with Platinum. Because once your done the main part of the game..... there is so much you can do. It never became dull for me.
Seriously Sapphire...... you gotta play it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I feel like Gen4 is the only game where the metagame of it was more interesting than the main game, if that makes sense?

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Dont forget that beautiful, calming song in DPPT that is of the Lake themes like seriously that song is calming to the soul and listen to it for half an hour and felt at peace with no ounch of negativity in my body.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I have over 500 hours clocked with Platinum. Because once your done the main part of the game..... there is so much you can do. It never became dull for me.
Seriously Sapphire...... you gotta play it.
I have exactly 688 hours clocked with SS, get at me :p

I'll have to try it then, but it'll have to be sometime in the future. I'm not sure what all else there is to do, but all Gen 4 legendaries were made available in Gen 5 and most of what I do is breeding. What makes Platinum awesome post game for you?

Edit to posts that ninja'd me: Explain the metagame, if you can?

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
And a whole ounch of bull to it at well with the computer pulling BS to beat you once you get passed the second wave of battles after you beat the frontier brain the first time also you seen Caitlin before she takes the role of a Elite 4 member in gen 5.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

I'll have to try it then, but it'll have to be sometime in the future. I'm not sure what all else there is to do, but all Gen 4 legendaries were made available in Gen 5 and most of what I do is breeding. What makes Platinum awesome post game for you?

Edit to posts that ninja'd me: Explain the metagame, if you can?
Gen 4 from what I recalled OU wise playing it was fast leads like Aerodactyl, Infernape and Jirachi, steel types and not getting your faced pushed into the dirt by dragons cause it happens alot.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

3DS FC
3325-3900-7222

- POKEMON CONTEST WERE ALSO VERY AMAZING AND AWESOME.
- MUSIC WAS AMAZING
- REPLAY VALUE IS OVER 9000
- BATTLE FRONTIER WAS MAD CHALLENGING AND WAS ALWAYS INTERESTING
- THE GYM LEADERS WERE AMAZING
- THE GYM LEADERS ACTUALLY WERE APART OF THE STORY
- THE POKEMON WERE AMAZING
- TEAM GALACTIC WAS THE BEST EVIL GROUP
- THE ELITE FOUR WERE ACTUALLY CHALLENGING
- CYNTHIA WAS THE BEST CHAMPION!!!
just to name a few reasons..... because I could write an essay on why Platinum rules

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Not all of the gym leaders but yeah I agree and 4th gen elite 4 and champion was probably the best and Cynthia sweet mother of god. There are reasons why she shows up in HG/SS, B/W and B/W 2 and have a crapton of fanboys over the internet for a reason. She makes Diantha looks like a chump but then again every champion barring Wallace in Emerald made her look like a chump.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
By generations I think we should be referring to the new regions introduced, along with the pokemon introduced.

Aka Fire red/Leaf Green should not be counted as apart of gen 3 and HG/SS should not be counted as apart of Gen 4.
And Hoenn remakes should not be counted as apart of Gen 6

With that being said, that's why my rankings are like they are.
However, If I had to rate each game at the time I played them and now... I'd say.

Red/Blue/Yellow : 10/10 first play - 6/10 right now.
Gold/Silver/Crystal : 10/10 first play - 6/10 right now.
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald : 9/10 first play - 7/10 right now.
Diamond/Pearl/Platnium : 10/10 first play - 8/10 for D/P right now - 10/10 for Platnium right now.
Black/White : 10/10 first play - 9/10 right now.
Black2/White2 : 8/10 first play - 7/10 right now.
X/Y : 6/10 first play - 6/10 right now.

Special note to Black2/White2 having the most interesting post game for me in the form of the PWT.
While not as diverse as the Battle Frontiers of Emerald/Platnium, fighting against all gym leaders I've known along with champions made it a place that I never actually got bored of.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896

- MUSIC WAS AMAZING
- BATTLE FRONTIER WAS MAD CHALLENGING AND WAS ALWAYS INTERESTING
- THE GYM LEADERS WERE AMAZING
- THE GYM LEADERS ACTUALLY WERE APART OF THE STORY
- CYNTHIA WAS THE BEST CHAMPION!!!
just to name a few reasons..... because I could write an essay on why Platinum rules
- Agreed on music
- I've had my fill of Battle Frontier from Gen 3 and grinding it in SS for TMs, it'd take a lot to bring me back
- So were Gen 5's Gym leaders (and most were imo)
- Gen 5 Gym leaders were a huge part of plot
- Cynthia is indeed pro tier Champion, I enjoy battling her in Gen 5

I'll check it out, it definitely isn't too expensive now so I'll have to see when I have some extra to spend. Right now I want to save everything I can manage to in general, though.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'm going to just interject that Black/White had the best plots of Pokemon.

This is not to say that the other games plots were bad, just that I felt that black/white had a much better plot.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Black/White did have a pretty good plot, i'll give it that.
although Alder was a HUGE letdown of a champion, while Iris was somewhat better.
But x/y...... I dunno. I felt like Nintendo put too much time and effort in the appeal/look of the game rather then the actual story. And I still don't get team flare :/

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
That's the main reason why gen 5 is my second favorite gen cause of the plot as well as they changing up the formula so much in B/W 1 from the 1st gym leader all the way to the elite 4 and N's castle also I didn't not dislike a gym leader in gen 5 expect for Brycen in B/W 1 cause he was omega bland and gave him decent development in B/W 2 so i disliked him less.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
And I still don't get team flare :/
Team Flare's thing was basically a shoutout to things like climate change, overpopulation, and etc that are actually issues of the real wold. Lysandre mentioned things a few times like "there's too many people who just want their desires and don't care about needs" and he thought the only way to stop it was to destroy everyone besides Team Flare and just start over with them, which is why they used <version legendary here> to try to power up the ultimate weapon of destruction that would wipe out all life other than them. In some optional dialogue with other members you learn that they've stowed away a male and a female of each Pokemon... etc...

Cheesy, I know, but I will agree they seriously cut on the story but delivered in graphics and features (Gen 6 is a breeder's best friend). I will say, parts of the backstory in Gen 6 were pretty good. The main, present day story was a bit too shallow though.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
The only problem I have with Platinum is that there are too many really good Pokemon available to you that I can't decide on a team, and then it's so easy to steam-roll through the game, even more so than past games. All the starters are useful, Staraptor practically breaks the game, then for teammates, you have Scyther, Houndoom, Alakazam, Gengar, Garchomp, Heracross, Floatzel, Luxray, Gyarados, Machamp, the Eeveelutions, Lucario, Rotom, Magnezone, and more to choose from.

Seems like a silly reason not to like a gen, but hey. At least they make up for it by giving you the hardest Champion ever. Diantha could learn a lot of Cynthia.

Last edited:

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Luxray and Lucario da bess.
Also, Cynthia was the hardest champion because of that damn Spiritomb and Garchomp. Sweeping teams and whatnot.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Gen IV will always be the worst gen in my eyes because my copy of Platinum was borked.

It always took at least five minutes to save, up to ten if it was "Saving a lot of data." Not only that, but it crashed constantly, forcing me to save constantly... Still beat it, but **** was it a chore.

I probably just have too many bad memories of gen IV at this point for me to judge it fairly. Best champion though.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Luxray and Lucario da bess.
Also, Cynthia was the hardest champion because of that damn Spiritomb and Garchomp. Sweeping teams and whatnot.
That and all of her Pokes have 31 IVs in each stat and a beneficial nature. Top tier breeder.

NEW TOPIC: Which had the best starters?

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I think Gen 3 can go S a D for a few reasons.
- Ruby and Sapphire don't have a lot of content to them compared to the Gen 2 games.
- The change in EV mechanics was a very, very nasty surprise seeing as I didn't have the internet back then.
- The Battle Tower doesn't have rules that prevent ties.
- Emerald is too little, too late.

All these combined made my Gen 3 experience a miserable one.
Gen 3 made me stop playing Pokemon altogether until Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out.

Gen 1 and 2 are my favorites though, and Gen 4 I liked despite me not playing the Sinnoh based games, which I'm still kinda considering if that's what it takes to complete the Pokedex as much as I can without cheats. Gen V felt ridiculous and while Black and White had a good story, the resolution was kinda lame.

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Son, Charizard is the best. I mean, nobody , not even blaziken, can compete with that. Gen 5 for worst starters though. Seriously, Emboar and that grass snake are so bad they're not even worth mentioning.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Crystal is and always will be (probably) my favorite pokemon game. Y/X might come in second though. I loved the story of b/w 1 and 2 but playing 2 I couldn't get past the intense hand holding and quit in the second town. I swear I had like 45 min clocked in and 30 of it was tutorials and dialogue. At least X/Y don't explicitly tell you that they are babying you.

Ultimate project M drinking game: turn on a stream of a large scale tournament and take a shot every time someone DI's a marth throw or fair inward. Actually don't, I dont want anyone to die. We learned not to DI marth's f-throw in like 8 years ago people. Just cause its a new game doesn't mean you have to re-learn it.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
My entirely biased opinion of starters, design/appeal wise:

Best: Charmander, Chikorita, Fennekin, Squirtle, Piplup, Mudkip, Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Totodile

Mid: Oshawott, Froakie, Torchic, Snivy

Ok: Treecko, Turtwig, Chimchar, Chespin, Tepig

Last edited:

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
NEW TOPIC: Which had the best starters?
Have to agree with that picture. Gen 3 starters were the best.
Sceptile was hella fast and kicked all the other grass starters butts. Leaf Blade so good.
Swampert was eh, but still a fairly goof pokemon.
Blaziken though. He was where it was at, everything about him just clicked. OG Fire/Fighter starter representttttt

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Wow I thought I was crazy for thinking platinum was the best, but it looks like I'm not the only. I remember the first town as soon as you start the game, thinking about it makes me tear up :) the music playing, the mood, the scenery, it was perfect. I still haven't finished black 2, I just kinda lost interest

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Crystal is and always will be (probably) my favorite pokemon game. Y/X might come in second though. I loved the story of b/w 1 and 2 but playing 2 I couldn't get past the intense hand holding and quit in the second town. I swear I had like 45 min clocked in and 30 of it was tutorials and dialogue. At least X/Y don't explicitly tell you that they are babying you.
Tragic.

I mean ignore everything like that and just get to the endgame. That's the only thing worth it in black 2/white 2

Join avenue was one of the coolest features and the PWT is one of the coolest things in Pokemon.

Also, someone has got to tell me what is actually wrong when a game holds your hand.
Someone's also got to tell me what's wrong with my eyes because I can never even tell if a game is holding hands or not.

Where is the firered love...

I dont get you guys
Leaf green man.
I just do not understand the appeal of Pokemon
It's not for everyone.

Top Bottom