• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
How can somebody possibly have an issue with Klefki
I bet people who don't like Klefki are the same people who think re-hashing Pikachu for the umpteenth time is actually good

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Pokemon origins is the truth, respect that **** and bow down to it. I wished it went on longer or had a version with G/S/C with it.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Pokemon origins is the truth, respect that **** and bow down to it. I wished it went on longer or had a version with G/S/C with it.
God no.

It was cool I will admit but in terms of story, I'd rather not watch "Charizard: The Show."

How can somebody possibly have an issue with Klefki
I bet people who don't like Klefki are the same people who think re-hashing Pikachu for the umpteenth time is actually good
Pikaclones are not good.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Uh...I'm pretty sure Mightyena is supposed to be a...well...Hyena. I know that both it and Poochyena are obvious a hybrid of a dog and a hyena, but I don't really think that counts as a wolf.
In truth he counts as a half wolf, half hyena. His tail is the most telltale (pun intended) sign of this because that is the limit to how high a wolf's tail can go, it kind of bends and goes straight in the middle. It's used to assert dominance. Hyena tails, well, just kind of hang. And curl up when they run fast, but mostly hang. Plus they're really thin and nowhere near as long or bushy as a wolf's is. Hyenas are also not very furry, they only have light fur, while wolves have thick fur and this is shown with the two black fur strips going down its back. I guess you could roughly say the black parts of Mightyena are wolf and the grey parts are hyena.

How did that turn into an entire analysis? Something's wrong with me.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
In truth he counts as a half wolf, half hyena. His tail is the most telltale (pun intended) sign of this because that is the limit to how high a wolf's tail can go, it kind of bends and goes straight in the middle. It's used to assert dominance. Hyena tails, well, just kind of hang. And curl up when they run fast, but mostly hang. Plus they're really thin and nowhere near as long or bushy as a wolf's is. Hyenas are also not very furry, they only have light fur, while wolves have thick fur and this is shown with the two black fur strips going down its back. I guess you could roughly say the black parts of Mightyena are wolf and the grey parts are hyena.

How did that turn into an entire analysis? Something's wrong with me.
>Thinking Pokemon work exactly like animals.

I bet you think Skitty and Wailord can't breed. :troll:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
>Thinking Pokemon work exactly like animals.

I bet you think Skitty and Wailord can't breed. :troll:
XD Well, Pokemon don't work exactly like animals by any means, not saying that. Hippopotas is a -sand- hippo and Blastoise's classification is the Shellfish Pokemon. Was really just explaining how Mightyena's design comes from both hyenas and wolves. :p

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
XD Well, Pokemon don't work exactly like animals by any means, not saying that. Hippopotas is a -sand- hippo and Blastoise's classification is the Shellfish Pokemon. Was really just explaining how Mightyena's design comes from both hyenas and wolves. :p
You are a dragon and wolf at the same time due to your profile pic. Arugments invalid to the drolf.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I dunno what you're trying to say with that. First of all, that's not Ash, that's Red. Second of all, His Charizard didn't somehow magically one-shot Blastoise with a single Seismic Toss. He landed 3 moves, and only ate one Hydro Pump. That's a much more plausible scenario.

God no.

It was cool I will admit but in terms of story, I'd rather not watch "Charizard: The Show."

Pikaclones are not good.
I dunno about you, but I know A LOT of people who played through Pokemon for the first time that basically just solo'd the whole game with Charizard. That's legitimately a lot of people's experience with the game. It's what I did. The rest of my team wasn't much to look at.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Meh, Origins is kinda overrated in my opinion. It was hype the first time around, but after that? Doesn't seem like much to me.

I'll stick to the main anime.

Fortress

Smash Master
Gen-one-4-lyf-ers who complain about **** like Klefki being weird forget about **** like Geodude. Or nearly any pokemon from gen one.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I actually really liked Gen I. It's odd collection of glitches and unique concepts (Special stat anyone?) made it charming in a way that Gen II or III never were for me.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Listening to this while doing my math homework. This song really does go with everything, I feel like a damn badass.
[collapse=]
[/collapse]

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I dunno what you're trying to say with that. First of all, that's not Ash, that's Red. Second of all, His Charizard didn't somehow magically one-shot Blastoise with a single Seismic Toss. He landed 3 moves, and only ate one Hydro Pump. That's a much more plausible scenario.
Eeeeh not really.

WARNING INCOMING POKEMON NERD MATH BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO

We're assuming Red's Charizard is a mixed offensive set, considering he used Mega Punch, Fire Spin, and Fire Blast. We're going to be generous with our damage calculations, and assume Charizard is running max 252 investments in both special attack and attack. We're doing this to give Charizard the maximum potential to actually KO Blastoise with the given moves.
For Blastoise's spread we again want to be as generous as possible for Charizard. We'll give him a spread of 252 attack, 84 special attack, and 172 speed. This spread was chosen for a couple reasons. One, it has absolutely zero defensive investment. We're trying to absolutely maximize Charizard's chances so we'll ignore the fact that Blastoise is a traditionally defensive Pokemon. The 172 speed investment is important because it puts Blastoise just 1 speed shy of outspeeding Charizard, this ensures Charizard goes first and that the fact that Charizard got to use three moves to Blastoise's two continues to make sense. Blastoise's third move would have come after the Fire Blast, but he was KO'd before having the chance. The 252 attack is invested because in this case, he never hits Charizard with a physical move and as such it's a "throwaway" stat in this scenario. The rest of his points that he can invest go into special attack; putting any more points into speed will have Blastoise outspeed Charizard and this whole scenario could no longer be true, and put the points into any sort of defensive stat makes things even less likely for Charizard. So with this setup, Blastoise would still have an about 19% chance to 0HKO Charizard with the Hydro Pump. Obviously Green just wasn't quite this lucky with the damage roll.
We'll give Blastoise a Naughty nature. This raises his attack and lowers his special defense. This is good because it gives Charizard even better odds of dealing enough damage, and the attack increase doesn't have an impact. Charizard has a Mild nature which boosts his special attack and reduces his defense. Since he isn't hit by a physical move the defense reduction doesn't matter, and the special attack boost has the best odds of him prevailing.

The Mega Punch he starts off with will do anywhere from 22-26% to Blastoise, and we'll assume max damage roll with the 26%. Charizard eats the Hydro Pump, and Charizard clings on with a sliver health; because he's at such low health his ability Blaze activates which boosts the power of his fire moves. He gets him with a Fire Spin, which is another 15-18% thanks to Blaze's powerboost and of course we'll take the higher. Looks like Blastoise dispels Fire Spin on his turn, we'll assume a Rapid Spin or whatever, and then he eats a Fire Blast. The Blaze boosted Fire Blast deals 47-55%, and we'll take the higher again. So even with max damage rolls... He comes up to 99%. So the only way he wins... is that he scores a lucky crit.

But as soon as you give Blastoise an actually good setup, like 252 HP and 252 defense with a Bold nature the only possible way Charizard wins in this scenario is with EVERY move he used critting, AND with two of them being no less than max damage rolls.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
You also have to factor in the fact that Charizard's special stat was 85 in generation 1.

No abilities existed and neither did natures so those don't really apply. If you think they do, then Giovanni would not of been able to knock out red's Jolteon with thunderbolt no matter what.

Blue's Blastoise was at level 65. Since Red seemed to be using Charizard to steam roll mostly everything I'd want to say his Charizard at the maximum is at level 70.

Consider this even further. Blue fought to make his Pokemon stronger so it's more likely that they are trained well as compared to charizard which literally was just fighting everything. His EV's might of been all over the place.

But the point was that animated Pokemon battles never really play out like the games.

Fortress

Smash Master
Still doesn't explain why Red's Charizard knows more than 4 moves.
Still doesn't explain how i-No's face became a goddamn Picasso in your profile picture. Jesus Christ, man, what happened? I used to know you before this fancy art ****.

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
You also have to factor in the fact that Charizard's special stat was 85 in generation 1.

No abilities existed and neither did natures so those don't really apply. If you think they do, then Giovanni would not of been able to knock out red's Jolteon with thunderbolt no matter what.

Blue's Blastoise was at level 65. Since Red seemed to be using Charizard to steam roll mostly everything I'd want to say his Charizard at the maximum is at level 70.

Consider this even further. Blue fought to make his Pokemon stronger so it's more likely that they are trained well as compared to charizard which literally was just fighting everything. His EV's might of been all over the place.

But the point was that animated Pokemon battles never really play out like the games.
If we go the Gen I route things look even more bleak for Charizard.
Gen I didn't have EV's so everything so stats were all just maxed, and the natures I chose were to give Charizard an even better chance. Charizard also misses out on Blaze which was giving him a big damage boost.
Going with Gen I calculations Charizard can muster 79% with three max damage crits.
Give Charizard a five level advantage and he's still not even breaking 90% with max damage crits.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
If we go the Gen I route things look even more bleak for Charizard.
Gen I didn't have EV's so everything so stats were all just maxed, and the natures I chose were to give Charizard an even better chance. Charizard also misses out on Blaze which was giving him a big damage boost.
Going with Gen I calculations Charizard can muster 79% with three max damage crits.
Give Charizard a five level advantage and he's still not even breaking 90% with max damage crits.
Exactly.

Charizard should of got wrecked, but the animations of Pokemon always defy the rules that have been set in the game.

None of the Pokemon in the show have brightpowder yet all these 100% accuracy moves get dodged without double team. :troll:

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

Pretty sure this is Red's response to the entirety of this discussion.

Top Bottom