• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Nah the date has never really bothered me, I don't mind getting less presents etc. I'm turning 25 though, not as exciting as 18.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't feel like an adult yet, maybe when I turn 21.

And I thought you still felt young at 25? It's odd that you already feel old but who am I to judge.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
most gaming places consider anything under, say, mid-20s to be geezer-status, presumably b/c of how young gaming culture is when even folks who grew up with an atari have barely touched mid-30s to early-40s, and we consider those people to be, like, our grandpas for w/e reason

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It's just that culture outside of gaming has still largely failed to accept that gaming as a medium has greatly matured. It's not a hobby you grow out of anymore, though I think it's mostly still viewed as such by people on the outside looking in.
I would liken it to comics. They aren't just for kids anymore. The target audience for some of the most popular titles are adults, and this is because the comic industry has grown and matured alongside the current group of readers who started when they were kids twenty years ago or whatever, and are still reading today.
When you see the Golden Age of comics you're looking at a time when it was just assumed the kids would stop reading when they hit teens or whatever, and that assumption is likely a self fulfilling prophecy. You start giving them titles that mature as they do and you find that you keep them on board.
Look at gaming now compared to in its first decade or so and you ca see a similar trend - although with gaming this can also be attributed in part to the developing technology allowing developers to do more and more.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Whoever had that idea to make the mail/alerts icon be the theme color when you have mail/alerts, just did that.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
hello person infinitely more bright at programming than I will ever be, is there a way to group emoticons together? like when I want to just use nothing but the brawl character icons

I ask b/c right now it's sort of messy and I have to dig through to find certain characters (also I don't think zelda's brawl emoticon exists on this?)

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
hello person infinitely more bright at programming than I will ever be, is there a way to group emoticons together? like when I want to just use nothing but the brawl character icons

I ask b/c right now it's sort of messy and I have to dig through to find certain characters (also I don't think zelda's brawl emoticon exists on this?)
We had an add on for that before, but it doesn't work right on XenForo 1.2 and hasn't been updated

Every theme has a Smashball icon infront of the sub-forum except for the Ruby color
Fixed

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Has anybody gotten their Project M stuff from Teespring yet?

Tracking on mine says it's printing, last updated December 10th though. I went with the hoodie, so maybe that's taking longer than the shirts.

I wish to rock my swag.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
These smashboards changes are really starting to piss me off. I can't edit a single post and I'm really wondering why. What happened to my account to take that away from me?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I also got the hoodie, still haven't got it yet rip

is this what I get for thinking hoodies would work better in showing off project m's existence in a cold climate. JERKS

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I have a feeling that the people who hate the changes to Fox and Falco are the same people who still use Windows 95

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Let's see if I can edit my post.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Smooth Criminal
I don't get what the problem is. I try and edit, but I just get the "Loading bar" at the top of the browser and nothing ever happens. What did they do that stole my editing ability?

Edit: If I right click edit and open it in a new tab, it works. If I try to do it normally with a left click in the same window, it does nothing.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
It's just that culture outside of gaming has still largely failed to accept that gaming as a medium has greatly matured. It's not a hobby you grow out of anymore, though I think it's mostly still viewed as such by people on the outside looking in.
I would liken it to comics. They aren't just for kids anymore. The target audience for some of the most popular titles are adults, and this is because the comic industry has grown and matured alongside the current group of readers who started when they were kids twenty years ago or whatever, and are still reading today.
When you see the Golden Age of comics you're looking at a time when it was just assumed the kids would stop reading when they hit teens or whatever, and that assumption is likely a self fulfilling prophecy. You start giving them titles that mature as they do and you find that you keep them on board.
Look at gaming now compared to in its first decade or so and you ca see a similar trend - although with gaming this can also be attributed in part to the developing technology allowing developers to do more and more.
Wow, I didn't know comics matured like video games. I'm not a comic reader though, my limited knowledge is of superhero stories and Over the Hedge. Both, by the way, from movies.

Please don't hate me for knowing only that about comics, though, because to add to your original point, I'd argue that while yes, the public doesn't know that much about comics it's not because they've "refused to accept" comics have advanced like you say. It's just that movies and TV are currently WAY more influential on what people think about things. Most people only know from comics what I know, as sad as that may be, because most busy (this is important) people's idea of a socially acceptable pastime is limited to reading, watching TV, and watching movies. What has Hollywood, journalism, and several books told the public about comics and games? Not very positive things, that's for sure :(

In the case of comics, Hollywood has only exposed non comic book fans to superheroes when they could look deeper for possibly more variety. They don't, though, because they make the most money, which, in turn, is because the moviegoer's impression of superheroes was entertainingly cheesy and not serious from the very beginning. In videogames' case, Roger Ebert, quite possibly the most important and influential critic to ever live--and not without reason either--said video videogames were not and never could be art. Though he admitted he doesn't really play games, the collossal damage to videogames' image was done because, seeing how talented Ebert was otherwise, his fans (read: most people who watched movies) assumed he somehow had the right idea anyway. This was in spite of games like Shadow of the Colossus and Mother 2 and 3, you know, existing. There are more examples than those three, but I don't think non video game players would care.

So I hope I made my point--I'm an adult now and I have to start doing it right.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Wow, I didn't know comics matured like video games. I'm not a comic reader though, my limited knowledge is of superhero stories and Over the Hedge. Both, by the way, from movies.

Please don't hate me for knowing only that about comics, though, because to add to your original point, I'd argue that while yes, the public doesn't know that much about comics it's not because they've "refused to accept" comics have advanced like you say. It's just that movies and TV are currently WAY more influential on what people think about things. Most people only know from comics what I know, as sad as that may be, because most busy (this is important) people's idea of a socially acceptable pastime is limited to reading, watching TV, and watching movies. What has Hollywood, journalism, and several books told the public about comics and games? Not very positive things, that's for sure :(

In the case of comics, Hollywood has only exposed non comic book fans to superheroes when they could look deeper for possibly more variety. They don't, though, because they make the most money, which, in turn, is because the moviegoer's impression of superheroes was entertainingly cheesy and not serious from the very beginning. In videogames' case, Roger Ebert, quite possibly the most important and influential critic to ever live--and not without reason either--said video videogames were not and never could be art. Though he admitted he doesn't really play games, the collossal damage to videogames' image was done because, seeing how talented Ebert was otherwise, his fans (read: most people who watched movies) assumed he somehow had the right idea anyway. This was in spite of games like Shadow of the Colossus and Mother 2 and 3, you know, existing. There are more examples than those three, but I don't think non video game players would care.

So I hope I made my point--I'm an adult now and I have to start doing it right.
I personally think that games CAN be art but arn`t always art just like every other form of "art"
[collapse=Please don`t tell me you would consider THIS art]
[/collapse]

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I personally think that games CAN be art but arn`t always art just like every other form of "art"
[collapse=Please don`t tell me you would consider THIS art]
[/collapse]
Nah, I don't think that's HIGH art. Those three examples I gave are ones I'm confident do more than just communicate an emotion or idea, way more.

Herein lies the other question we ask ourselves: should a medium be treated like it's high art even though it only has a few examples, or only when we have a large amount? Movies are without a doubt high art because you can list more than 10 movies that maturely and entertainingly depict something challenging or topical in a sophisticated way, completely exclusive to the medium of film. Video games have, like, six examples that affect or challenge people the way those kinds of movies do. Along with those three already mentioned, you could maybe add Out of This World (also known as Another World or Outer World), Rez, and, uhh, I can't think of a sixth one at the moment. But I know one is out there!

You see the problem, right?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
FINDING ART: A GUIDE

step 1: find something
step 2: proclaim it is art
step 3: does a smug art school student get mad at you? if yes, it is art

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
FINDING ART: A GUIDE

step 1: find something
step 2: proclaim it is art
step 3: does a smug art school student get mad at you? if yes, it is art
You can just laugh at their poor choice to go to art school :denzel:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
It's important of who has creative control and the Director is willing to bring the creator's imagination to life. It all depends on circumstances sadly.
Especially since, no matter how badly an artist wants to get his or her vision out there, they still obviously need to make money on it and corporations like Hollywood are the best way to do that. Though we all know how much it likes messing up artistic vision unless it's special effects or Oscar bait.

You can just laugh at their poor choice to go to art school :denzel:
Real artists care about educating themselves, not just whatever "school" says.

Top Bottom