• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
So with Ryu it is weird that you can do the simple special input (like every Smash character) or the more complex one which seems to be strictly better because it is more powerful. So the simple way is always the wrong way. Maybe Sakurai thought this sounded like an awesome competitive feature, but it's just a dumb mechanic conceptually since it is a false choice. Not like having a simple to execute throw that is easy to do under pressure or a hard throw that does more damage, there is no risk involved just do the memorized half circle, dragon punch etc. motion.

All the different normals depending on your button press and two Final Smashes sound great, wish these were standard universal abilities throughout the cast.
as long as they don't screw the pooch like Sony did with Kat in PSAS(instead of a double jump she had 8 way airdashing which was exclusive to he and made her broke as hell) we should be fine, going by how Shulk, Rock and Mac turned out.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

This alone confirms Roy to be the best character in Sm4sh for me now. I ****ing love it. <3

Bleck

Smash Master
So with Ryu it is weird that you can do the simple special input (like every Smash character) or the more complex one which seems to be strictly better because it is more powerful. So the simple way is always the wrong way.
by virtue of frame advantage the simple versions are always gonna be slightly faster, which might be important, it's too early to tell

Helsong

Smash Ace
Putting competitive meta issues aside...

Ryu looks amazing. I can't wait to try him out.
Also, I think I can now use him as a direct counterargument to people who claim PM Lucario doesn't fit Smash playstyles.

@ Draco_The Draco_The that's so amazing. Holy crap that's so amazing.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Putting competitive meta issues aside...

Ryu looks amazing. I can't wait to try him out.
Also, I think I can now use him as a direct counterargument to people who claim PM Lucario doesn't fit Smash playstyles.

@ Draco_The Draco_The that's so amazing. Holy crap that's so amazing.
I'd say Ryu fits Smash playstyles less than Lucario. Having QCF-like motions and press/hold differences for normals in a game like Smash doesn't seem very intuitive.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Why are people assuming Ryu plays like PM Lucario? I expect something different honestly.
I'm not assuming he plays like PM Lucario, I'm saying that his playstyle is something very different than smash, similar to PM Lucario.

I'm just super hyped to see how Ryu turns out. I could see him being very, very good if his combos are at the level I saw in the Direct. We could have a Melee-Fox situation where he was developed to be intentionally great in 1v1s.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I'm not assuming he plays like PM Lucario, I'm saying that his playstyle is something very different than smash, similar to PM Lucario.

I'm just super hyped to see how Ryu turns out. I could see him being very, very good if his combos are at the level I saw in the Direct. We could have a Melee-Fox situation where he was developed to be intentionally great in 1v1s.
Ryu is what Lucario would be like if pmdt had actually thought things through kek

But no, he can actually combo, plus his perfect shielf is parrying

Who cares though, time for roy

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
We can actually say Lucario is much more conservative than people gave him credit for design-wise now. On hit canceling (which Ryu has) and building up your two button supers (Little Mac is sort of like this) are really nothing in comparison to all the special attributes that Ryu has going for him combined. Or Shulk for that matter.

Lucario is pretty damn Smash.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
We can actually say Lucario is much more conservative than people gave him credit for design-wise now. On hit canceling (which Ryu has) and building up your two button supers (Little Mac is sort of like this) are really nothing in comparison to all the special attributes that Ryu has going for him combined. Or Shulk for that matter.

Lucario is pretty damn Smash.
Ryu has the target combo system, not OHC.

Lucario isint very smash like at all, especially since he can just negate shields by comboing into side b

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Thing into SideB is never a true blockstring with Lucario. Can always buffer roll or spotdodge and it won't work.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Someone just posted this in the Montreal Smash 4 group
"dont forget to put Alberta as the province you live in to only pay 5% taxes instead of 14,975% like in quebec"

wtf that's a thing lmao
Better watch out @Odds_ we're stealing yo sales tax

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
lmao sm4sh babbies are complaining about ****ing quarter circles it's hilarious

ryu is the only charactef I would consider playing in sm4sh lmao
If they are crying about quarter circle inputs can't wait when they play a traditional FG like KOF with SNK style inputs they will pull their hair out.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Hmm, played Ryu a bit on my brother's 3DS. They did a good job transitioning him into Smash. His combos are actually true, but small strings. I'd pick him up if I played Smash 4.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I was watching the PM MK trailer when I saw that MK performed the teleport attack right away. Then I went to traning and found out that he can cancel the teleport into the attack by pressing A lol

Also I really want the old down air back pls

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again

those jump in approaches and that spike oh my god this game looks fun with ryu in it

edit: the video is timestamped at what I'm talking about (i think)

also the thing aout ryu makes me wonder why can't every other character look that fun

Last edited:
Top Bottom