• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
open steam to see if there's anything new I should buy

"a new version of Dark Souls 2 is out"

steam please

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
No, it just randomly happened just now :/. The powershield sound went off and the first hit was shielded but then the character was just hit by the second hit instead of it being all shielded
Try to replicate it in debug, it'll help you get the timing right
Can I just say: screw character johns?

I play Ike. I have a massive fair. I have a burst movement option. I have good throws. But for crying out loud, *****ing at me because you lost and saying "you won because your character is cheap" pisses me off so hard. I've been working hard to get better, and I just played some of the best Smash I've played in years. I sure as **** didn't do it just so you could invalidate what little skill I've worked for.

@ Blazing Ambition Blazing Ambition pick up another game? Actually, working out is a great hobby, too. Helps you both physically and mentally, which can come back to Smash.
Just say to them, "No johns, biitch; learn the matchup or lose." It's really satisfying
Speaking of R.O.B., I've picked him up in friendlies and he's hella fun

Also it's funny being able to dash dance in midair. Newer players seem to freak out lol
It's funny how some of them will hold shield, then you can come down with a Nair their shield will look like a skittle

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium

Player -0

Smash Hero
That makes no sense, because all the hits should have been power shielded. Thats what happens when you powershield multi hits
The way it works is if a move hits your shield and you powershielded it but you were still in shieldstun then it will also powershield the second move, hence my first statement.

On the other hand you may have attempted an attack or something that was too slow.

Helsong

Smash Ace
@ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood I'm trying to be a semi-polite and nice person, since I'm still relatively new in my scene. Being mean back kinda runs counter to that :/.

It's sorta like...playing Shiek in Melee. I play Marth there, but I also have a pocket Shiek. People give me grief for that too, even though I'm terrible. I play kinda jank and mean, because that's how I know to win, but people get salty anyway. Kinda sucks. I know she's "easy", but I don't have tech skill, so she feels good to play. It's a similar thing with Ike for me.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
If anyone complains about you using ike just stand up, throw your bag down and say in a very serious and testorone gushing voice... 5 simple words

"I fight for my friends"

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
@ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood I'm trying to be a semi-polite and nice person, since I'm still relatively new in my scene. Being mean back kinda runs counter to that :/.

It's sorta like...playing Shiek in Melee. I play Marth there, but I also have a pocket Shiek. People give me grief for that too, even though I'm terrible. I play kinda jank and mean, because that's how I know to win, but people get salty anyway. Kinda sucks. I know she's "easy", but I don't have tech skill, so she feels good to play. It's a similar thing with Ike for me.
Just tell them "no johns."
As a Diddy main I know all about people hating your character, you just need to brush it off. Let them hold the L. Its been a long while since people complained to my face about diddy after a set but I used to just look them in the eye, smile and shrug.

Alternativly you could switch to falcon and just do the same things Ike does but without the disjoint, then they can't complain at all (Except the actually have a legit reason to because #****Falcon)

Helsong

Smash Ace
If anyone complains about you using ike just stand up, throw your bag down and say in a very serious and testorone gushing voice... 5 simple words

"I fight for my friends"
I have no testosterone to say that with. I'm actually really bad about getting in people's faces like that, I'm just not that kind of person.
I'm the kind of person to quietly take trash talk and then go online and complain about it. I'm not good enough to do proper trash talk yet :/.

As a Diddy main I know all about people hating your character, you just need to brush it off. Let them hold the L. Its been a long while since people complained to my face about diddy after a set but I used to just look them in the eye, smile and shrug.

Alternativly you could switch to falcon and just do the same things Ike does but without the disjoint, then they can't complain at all (Except the actually have a legit reason to because #****Falcon)
ooooh, a Diddy main. My roommate mains Diddy and gets grief for it.
I can't remember who said it, but it went something like: "Falcon does dthrow to fair and the room goes wild. A Shiek does dthrow to fair and you get booed out of the venue."

I suppose I just feel guilty about getting success with characters that are called "easy" or "jank", despite not getting much success in the first place. I should just say "screw the haters", but there's this nagging feeling in teh back of my head that I should pick up a character that has a higher tech skil requirement.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Try to replicate it in debug, it'll help you get the timing right

Just say to them, "No johns, biitch; learn the matchup or lose." It's really satisfying

It's funny how some of them will hold shield, then you can come down with a Nair their shield will look like a skittle
Cant do it right now, but i'll try again tomorrow when I have people
The way it works is if a move hits your shield and you powershielded it but you were still in shieldstun then it will also powershield the second move, hence my first statement.

On the other hand you may have attempted an attack or something that was too slow.
All I did was hold shield, and rob side b spin is definantly fast enough that it would keep you in shield stun

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I have no testosterone to say that with. I'm actually really bad about getting in people's faces like that, I'm just not that kind of person.
I'm the kind of person to quietly take trash talk and then go online and complain about it. I'm not good enough to do proper trash talk yet :/.

I can't remember who said it, but it went something like: "Falcon does dthrow to fair and the room goes wild. A Shiek does dthrow to fair and you get booed out of the venue."

I suppose I just feel guilty about getting success with characters that are called "easy" or "jank", despite not getting much success in the first place. I should just say "screw the haters", but there's this nagging feeling in teh back of my head that I should pick up a character that has a higher tech skil requirement.
If you like playing a character that isn't super technical, so what. It doesn't matter, you still beat your opponent fair and square. If they let themselves get beaten by an "easy" character, then it's their job to figure out how to beat you, not your job to switch characters. Fox isn't for everyone.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Awakening is super fun, although I still enjoy other FE games more. I'll talk **** on it occasionally due to art style and writing, but I still think it's an awesome game. Enjoy your Waifu Emblem.
I get how past FE fans get annoyed by those who only played Awakening complaining there's no waifu features if they play the past games or if the new one doesn't have it. Being one of the people who've only played Awakening I personally don't mind either way. I did like the funny conversations and interactions in the "social links", but what I didn't like was having to worry about what stats and skills the parents would pass down to their children. It felt too much like Pokémon, and I'd rather enjoy the game for what it is by making the best of who I have rather than worrying about than breeding super-children.

Last edited:

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman

Eh just play whoever's fun
If you REALLY want to play a high tech skill character
there's always squirtle

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776

You could do what I do when I get bull**** from other people for using Sanic. I give them a lecture on how I'm actually helping them in the long run in the new matchups the game offers....or I simply say "Well, when Knuckles and Parasect are released...maybe you'll have some counters."

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I get how past FE fans get annoyed by those who only played Awakening complaining there's no waifu features if they play the past games or if the new one doesn't have it. Being one of the people who've only played Awakening I personally don't mind either way. I did like the funny conversations and interactions in the "social links", but what I didn't like was having to worry about what stats and skills the parents would pass down to their children. It felt too much like Pokémon, and I'd rather enjoy the game for what it is by making the best of who I have rather than worrying about than breeding super-children.
FE Awakening is basically Persona 3/4 of the Fire Emblem series, introducing waifu features will split fanbases. I know I'll love the other FE games anyway.

I don't like the marriage system anyway because I'm still upset that Chrom forced my mc to marry him in my first playthrough...

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
FE Awakening is basically Persona 3/4 of the Fire Emblem series, introducing waifu features will split fanbases. I know I'll love the other FE games anyway.
I don't like the marriage system anyway because I'm still upset that Chrom forced my mc to marry him in my first playthrough...
You're they one who paired them up

So it's your fault

zman804

Smash Ace
The same thing happened to me. All of a sudden my MU loved Chrom. I was too busy pairing up the interesting waifus with the cool characters.

Helsong

Smash Ace
I actually don't mind the marriage and waifu stuff, my remarks were almost entirely tongue-in-cheek. I suppose I could be called an "Awakening-hater", but I honestly just found the art, writing, and characters in the other games more appealing and solid. That's honestly it. I still loved my time with Awakening, even if it does raise a few concerns as to the direction of the series...but that's just because it was a departure from the FE I know and love. It's different, but I don't think it's bad, and evolution is important in a series...but certain things involved in this evolution(fanservicey art), are a touch off-putting to me.
As a side-note, the FE community split on Awakening is hilariously similar to the MegaTen community split on Persona3/4. I still enjoy SMT and Persona both though, and think they're both a breath of jRPG fresh air from a lot of the Final Fantasy I've been playing for a long time.

And thanks for the encouragement kids. I think I'll get over my "no tech skill" inferiority as I just get better at the game. Outsmarting people is way more fun for me than landing some flashy combo(although I prefer to watch flashy combos).

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I'll tell those nerds if they want a parent/child system play FE4. IT's annoying but if I would recommend a FE for a newbie it would be Awakening otherwise FE7,FE8 or Path of Radiance if you wanna shell out some bucks.

Pretty much but I would tell them to eat a ****. Play whom you want.
Hot damn that was perfect in synchronization. The Smash 4 diddy dance of down throw and up air.

Helsong

Smash Ace
FE7 and Path of Radiance were my first and second FE games. I love them so, so much.
My least favorite is Shadow Dragon, mostly because they didn't really bother to update the mechanics a whole lot or add in modern FE stuff that's become standard. New Mystery:Heroes of Light and Shadow was good, though. Plot and characters were all right, but MyUnit ranges from above average to hilariously broken, and the maps were interesting.

I haven't yet delved fully into FE4. It really shows it's age, and I kinda hope we get a remake of it someday.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Please PMDT, gib 3.6. I'm playing Toon Link out here and I can't stand these mediocre hit sfx. <_> ....halp.....

1337 3di7 0f m4x1mu/\/\ 1337n3ss: @ Helsong Helsong etc, don't forget FE4-6 and the like for those who now how use google and patch files. FE6 is great for folks who don't want to feel as though they have a Lord until Roy gets the SoS in the endgame and gets his **** together. :3

Further 3di7s: Yeah kids, if you wanna know how not to use sprites tastefully in a Fire Emblem game, look at the DS remakes and weep at their lack of...well...whatever this 1337 stuff is.

...I love whatever this is.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
@ Raccoon Chuck Raccoon Chuck Yeah, you also need a translation patch for New Mystery(aka FE12), since that was Japan-only. Highly recommend it, although I dislike the in-battle sprites. They should've just gone back to using the FE7/Sacred Stones in-battle sprite art rather than doing blurry quasi-3d renders.

FE6 was....well, it wasn't bad, but Roy was pretty darn terrible. But I think Ike sorta spoiled me as far as Lord usefulness went. He was just too awesome. PoR solo Ike runs are, I think, one of the fastest ways to beat the game. I might give FE4 another shot someday.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem Awakening?
You mean Open Fielded Nosferatu the game?

Thracia is probably the best FE game from a raw gameplay standpoint.
And Holy Wars hands down has the best story in it, and its story and gameplay elements are very similar to FE13 but far better executed because they were built around the mechanics rather then just thrown in.

Children and Inheritance are just better executed because the game put storytelling over waifu's.

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I'm in a rut with zss at the moment

I go into training for like 30 mins a day and I still feel like poop on netplay(even with 1-2 input buffer) and get 4 stocked for days. Then I pick Sonic and then I can get 1 or 2 stocks off the guy without being super behind

Helsong

Smash Ace
Thracia is probably the best FE game from a raw gameplay standpoint.
And Holy Wars hands down has the best story in it, and its story and gameplay elements are very similar to FE13 but far better executed because they were built around the mechanics rather then just thrown in.

Children and Inheritance are just better executed because the game put storytelling over waifu's.
I've heard this a lot, and it makes me want to try it, but I just can't seem to get past the dated gameplay and graphics. You have any tips on making the transition into FE4, for someone who's main experience with the series is almost entirely FE7 onwards?

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I've heard this a lot, and it makes me want to try it, but I just can't seem to get past the dated gameplay and graphics. You have any tips on making the transition into FE4, for someone who's main experience with the series is almost entirely FE7 onwards?
My advice is to stop giving a **** and get your clerics over to Leif before he's nothing more than a pixelated bloody mess.

Top Bottom