• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Did someone say KOF?

nAWoilt.gif

This is the opportunity I needed to discover where you hide your infinite source of wrestling GIFs.
I will provide my source if only you are prepared and accept the risks. You may or may not evolve into a mark. You may even become a smark. You might hunger for dirtsheets.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
If we are talking about old ass FG's then look no further than MVC2 also NSFW language as alot of footage date before the 2009 boom.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Heard Diem commentate for the first time today
I was about to bring this up

who else is loving this drama? so entertaining

But I do wonder why Diem was chosen before the handful of popular smash commentators who will be attending Apex and will actually know what the **** is going on.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I was about to bring this up

who else is loving this drama? so entertaining

But I do wonder why Diem was chosen before the handful of popular smash commentators who will be attending Apex and will actually know what the **** is going on.
Not gonna lie, never heard of him before.

I think he could do a good job tho. He sounds like he knows his smash basics and his commentary is clean and to the point (minus the somewhat cheesy remarks). I'm not sure how much he knows about Melee but D1 is always there for the technical/mechanical stuff (notice how Prog never talked about that). Diem may be no Prog but I think we should give him a shot. But pleaserino no baseball match commentator voice

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
This is going off on Apex as a whole.

First off, I don't hate Diem commentary, but I certainly don't love it either, and to be perfectly honest both Diem and D1 both fit the same roles in commentary. Both are play-by-play commentators, it isn't necessary to have both. More importantly, I just don't want Diem to become part of the face of smash. His mentality is disturbing and the way he treats others is even worse.

Honestly by this point, I'm becoming increasingly more disturbed at what Apex is starting to become. More and more there are indications that certain decisions that Alex Strife is making is more for the stream viewers and the mass as a whole rather than for the players and the smash community. It was apparent way back in Apex 2012 where certain players vocally didn't want to take part in the USA vs World crew battle but were forced to do so anyway. I think the more obvious example though is the Isai vs Captain Jack exhibition match which was established without Isai's consent in the first place. To add insult to injury, the tournament itself wasn't very well run with the tournament running until 1 AM in the morning at times.

Apex 2015 is turning out to be even less of an experience. PM was excluded, and the community was left to predict what the reason was for its absence. Of course most people knew it was Nintendo since they were sponsoring Apex, but what honestly pissed me off more than anything else was how coy Alex was being. Excluding PM was bad, but I understood the trade that Alex was trying to make. What he should have done was be more straightforward with it instead of leaving the community to speculate. The fans wanted PM to be there, and Apex 2014 was proof of that. If Alex was going to exclude PM, at the very least he should've told the community why it wouldn't be there, but he didn't even do that. Seeing as the Brawl tournament is having sub-100 entrants so far is even more distressing. As both an international player and as a guy who runs the Top Players by Character thread, I was incredibly upset that PM wouldn't at Apex. Not just because of myself, but for the hundreds of players who didn't get their time to shine in 3.0 at the grand stage. @Lunchables, Wizzrobe, Nazo, @ Shokio Shokio , Jason Waterfalls, Luck, @Seagull Joe, Hylian, Chu Dat, Boss, Kiraflax, Bleachigo, K9, JZ, Junebug, Emukiller, @POOB, Metroid, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. The little itty bitty tip. And the news of PM's absence was awful for me. And the way that the staff handled it made me feel worse.

And now, now we get Diem as a commentator for top 8 when we have quite literally a myriad of amazing commentators that can fill the gap that prog made. At this point, it's obvious that the reason the Apex staff chose Diem is the fact that he has a more well-known face among the general public. Apex is slowly becoming less for the community, and I hate what this bodes for the future.

/rant

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
This is going off on Apex as a whole.

First off, I don't hate Diem commentary, but I certainly don't love it either, and to be perfectly honest both Diem and D1 both fit the same roles in commentary. Both are play-by-play commentators, it isn't necessary to have both. More importantly, I just don't want Diem to become part of the face of smash. His mentality is disturbing and the way he treats others is even worse.

Honestly by this point, I'm becoming more and more disturbed at what Apex is starting to become. More and more there are indications that certain decisions that Alex Strife is making is more for the stream viewers and the mass as a whole rather than for the players and the smash community. It was apparent way back in Apex 2012, where certain players vocally didn't want to take part in the USA vs World crew battle but were forced to do so anyway. I think the more obvious example though is the Isai vs Captain Jack exhibition match which was established without Isai's consent in the first place. To add insult to injury, the tournament itself wasn't very well run with the tournament running until 1 AM in the morning at times.

Apex 2015 is turning out to be even less of an experience. PM was excluded, and the community was left to predict what the reason was for its absence. Of course most people knew it was Nintendo since they were sponsoring Apex, but what honestly pissed me off more than anything else was how coy Alex was being. Excluding PM was bad, but I understood the trade that Alex was trying to make. What he should have done was be more straightforward with it instead of leaving the community to speculate. The fans wanted PM to be there, and Apex 2014 was proof of that. If Alex was going to exclude PM, at the very least he should've told the community why it wouldn't be there, but he didn't even do that. Seeing as the Brawl tournament is having sub-100 entrants so far is even more distressing. As both an international player and as a guy who runs the Top Players by Character, I was incredibly upset that PM wouldn't at Apex. Not just because of myself, but for the hundreds of players who didn't get their time to shine in 3.0 at the grand stage. @Lunchables, Wizzrobe, Nazo, @ Shokio Shokio , Jason Waterfalls, Luck, Seagull Joe, Hylian, Chu Dat, Boss, Kiraflax, Bleachigo, K9, JZ, Junebug, Emukiller, @POOB, Metroid, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. The little itty bitty tip. And the news of the absence of PM was awful for me. And the way that the staff handled it made me feel worse.

And now, now we get Diem as a commentary for top 8 when we have quite literally a myriad of amazing commentators that can fill the gap that prog made. At this point, it's obvious that the reason the Apex staff chose Diem is the fact that he has a more well-known face among the general public. Apex is slowly becoming less for the community, and I hate what this bodes for the future.

/rant
I agree with the sentiment, but with nintendo being a sponsor of apex, it's really clear why they can't have PM. If nintendo acknowledged that PM existed, they'd by legally obligated to sue. (or at least that's what I'm heard from many others here.) I think it would have been better to keep PM and not have nintendo as a sponsor, no matter how much hype is brings in. But then again, money is a thing, so...

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
He commentates Smite, or something or other. He's commentated smash before and is alright at it.

He also doesn't have a ****ing clue.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Because if we showed off commentators from the smash community, people might notice how we have developed our own thing that other people should like rather than having people like a thing because outside people are starting to take intre$t.

If we are being honest though, stream is the most important thing to eSports. You are capitalizing on the people who are into the game but never will drive over 35 min to an event. The people who go to nationals are merely entertainers, part of the machine, not the customer. They are practically just in actor in a movie, they can demand certain treatment, but ultimately you are taking the popular roles people want to see so that you too can be popular.

The only way the TO does something for the player is if they threaten to not attend/preform unless conditions improve. I think players care more about paying bills than complaining so they can create a focus on how important their treatment is.

Basically if top players threatened to boycott, instantly things would improve, but that is tough for them to do, so I don't think anyone should expect it.

Maybe sponsors could force change for the players if the players asked.

Like this is why players have unions in traditional sports.
--------------------
Also, if I use competitive gaming as a social outlet, is my social life's dependence on a game unhealthy? Does frequenting Smashboards make me a game addict?

If someone plays fantasy football and watched all of a team's games and all of his best friends were people who tailgate with him, are they a football addict?

People are throwing psychobabble at me, so I want to have a firm understanding of this.

Do you love games because of the people, or do you only love the people because they love the game. That is probably the best question to ask.

Is it even valid to say a lot of time spent with something social is a negative addiction? Are we not allowed to be happy by doing one thing that fulfills our social needs? Like, why is it impossible to be a healthy workaholic? If the challenge is legitimately pleasing, and work relationships are satisfying, why not.

Gais, we are all actually ill.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I've heard the name juiceDiem before but for the life of me, even when I see his photos, I cant remember where from. I dont even play Smite
ANYWAY

A mod to play regular, local, offline Wii multiplayers games ONLINE is being discovered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5g2TGcr5_o
Currently it is in it's really, really early stages of development and only works with NSMBWii. The first thought when I saw it was "hurray, maybe PM will have a shot at non-garbage console netplay". It looks like it works the same way as emulation netplay though, where its just reads inputs and could desync with poor internet.
Also these guys have already found out how to mod in texture and music hacks for Mario Kart 8 which is neat but that was a long time ago

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Who's Diem?
A Smite commentator who used to play smash back in the brawl days seriously.

He commentates Smite, or something or other. He's commentated smash before and is alright at it.

LOL Damn and that's not the best start of getting that foot in the door even though I know what he was trying to get at.

Also possible NJ bias.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master

Wait, smite???
Like that is considered better than someone in the community?
Smite is such a poverty MOBA. Playing in 3rd person is interesting sounding, but that is just a really dumb way to play a MOBA.

Saying that there are Melee elitists is the same as saying there are people who think speed runners should play the games as intended. What other shocking things did you discover today?

Slightly unrelated, anyone who thinks that playing a game in an unintended way is bad is the true cancer.

Edit: and designing games so everyone can win is stupid, cause "tourney ****" will always find a way to beat you consistently enough to be good. Competitive poker anyone?

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman

I cant tell who this is a jab towards. I'm not caught up on this drama fully but it doesnt seem like any player wants him there at this point

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

content of the tweet is actually very accurate but yeah prob not reacting to the situation well

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
content of the tweet is actually very accurate
Yeah, the smash community on miiverse isn't nearly as good as the group of people who I play Melee with. Kappa

You likely know way more about Melee elitists than me, but I think that people who are jerks are jerks, even if they tryhard at Clash of Clans. You just develop a Melee inspired mod, so I wonder where all of your greatest supporters and critics come from? ;P

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Edit 2 for TL;DR: ESports benefits the lawyers and businessmen; it isn't all that important to being a sport, except for production quality.

I just want to say, ESports are a joke in the same way real sports are a massive and expensive joke.

It is all this drama and money and ads over what started as people just wanting to be good at something. Extrinsic reward destroys it. It becomes about being a corporation, not a sport. ESports are worse, DOTA and league are just successful because Riot and Valve pump money in as an investment and multiply it.

Think how cancerous that is. The NFL and NBA are worse since they are just monopolies on something that actually belongs to everyone.

Just the expense of being taken seriously...

Edit: you want they money, but it kills a lot of what makes a game a game, suddenly it's real too and some of the magic is lost.

Money still worth.

Edit 3: I rerethought this and while in traditional sport the money followed the popularity, the popularity follows the money in ESports. That sounds like something great if you want a short lived community. As soon as ESports money dies, your game will tank. At least competitive gaming goes out with a bang. I bet once the real audience is here in 5-10 years it will steadily grow in a healthy, organic way.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I've reached a point where, when someone tells me they love Smash, I just assume they're into Melee or PM and I'm always disappointed when I realise they mean Sm4sh, even though I know it's the logical conclusion. I just want people to play with without getting off the island.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Ive mentioned that im 18 multiple times, or 17 last year. And apex sucks just make the big house a better apex.

SunJester

Smash Ace
This is the cherry on the cake of Apex. They stopped PM from being streamed in 2013, a lot of people speculated it was due to sponsors, and I never heard any more past that. As far as I could tell there was no reason other than a potential sponsor (nintendo? people are welcome to correct me on this, my memory is terrible)

Now its 2014 and Apex tells everyone two months before Apex, that PM will not be streamed. Some people had booked flights, booked time off, and booked hotels. Some people were 100% going to lose money because of Apex's late announcement. They then collectively shrug at the PM community and don't (and still haven't) offer(ed) an explanation for why PM was being excluded. One Unit falls apart as it's not being used for Melee's benefit. Everyone lets PM fall of the wayside, letting outsiders dictate what games we can and can't play in a community made by the community (I'm aware Apex is a privately run event, but its crafted for the competitive community to participate in). This sets a precedent for future events, when Melee is (almost) inevitably cast aside by Evo for Smash 4, I highly doubt the Melee community will see this as a mutually beneficial relationship.

Now they hire a guy who's been show to have a really toxic attitude toward the community, and in my 2 or so years hanging around here, I've never even heard of. Surely someone who's put time and effort into the community (Wobbles, Wife, Toph, Scar) deserve this chance more? Its a blatant disrespect to those who have put in the effort.

It's all become so political when it shouldn't be. Forgive me, but I think the Smash competitive scene should 100% be about the players, the hype, the matches, the competition and the game. Monetary gain is nice, but in a passion project such as this, I don't think it should be the reason why you're in it. There are TO's out there who put hours every week putting on a weekly, probably taking a hit in their own wallet, just so players have a place to play, and the scene has a chance to grow. There are players who put hours, and hours and days into this game to never be rewarded with any prize money, and STILL keep playing. There are people putting in hours of their life, with nothing to gain but the game they love having a chance to grow, and to play better than they ever have before. The smash community is about ourselves, it should always be about ourselves. No one should be put ahead of the community, everyone from Mang0 to the newest player should feel welcome, equally. The community is the first and foremost.

I'm not sure Apex has the communities' best interest in mind right now. They're welcome to prove me wrong, but that's how I feel right now.

Give me two newbies battling it out on a 240p stream any day over all the bells and whistles, but no soul.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Hey how about we forget about something as ****ty as apex, lets talk about me and why am i soooooo (not) cute

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
turns out, trying to appeal to the people who only care about money will attract the kind of people who only care about money

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Let's talk about how cute Tohsaka is instead.

ETA:
She's so charming!

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Rider is a husbando, not a waifu.

A new generation of smashers should take up the names Waifu and Husbando and be the Newryweds.

Top Bottom