• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
the problem with esports is that it's currently more of a winter olympics thing than an actual olympics

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
what the **** does that even matter? lmfao.

by the nature of esports, it'll be niche until it continues to grow and catch on.

everyone involved needs to do their part and then some if you're trying to bolster it.

Dota 2, Starcraft, and CS didnt reach the point they're at by simply existing. It took effort on all fronts. Sponsors, Devs, Publishers, Players, Spectators, and more.

Compared to those 3, yeah of course we're winter Olympics.

ya'll niggas need to recognize.

Bleck

Smash Master
no I mean that instead of a celebration of all manner of competition in an accessible and meaningful way it's a celebration of very specific things that are only accessible and meaningful to very specific social groups

basically the winter olympics are to rich white folk as esports are to dumb sperglords

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
no I mean that instead of a celebration of all manner of competition in an accessible and meaningful way it's a celebration of very specific things that are only accessible and meaningful to very specific social groups

basically the winter olympics are to rich white folk as esports are to dumb sperglords
Sounds about right. Could also compare us to Soccer in the US. "That's not a real sport, you should play football/Street Fighter instead."

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
>Doing Super Training in ORAS
>Manage to beat my high score on Lv 3 attack training
>2:47.1
>Only get a small punching bag

Sigh

Lizalfos

Smash Master
ESports is just because Valve/Riot are making money.

We will never be that big, unless you know a way to get all our sponsors to pay for an international.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I had a dream last night where there was a smash tourney at my old highschool. It was after hours or something so we all stuck in.

SpiderMad was there for some reason, but I've never seen his face so he was just dressed in a black cat skin suit
before we got to play, meiling broke into the school and started trying to cuddle, everyone ran away and the I woke up
Are you lying? How do you keep dreaming of Smash, with people you've never met. I mean I have dreams with people I've never met, but then I have sex with them and I don't have a clue who they are.

and on that note here's my face (which I linked to you before):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wFYbhaaUQ0&list=UUC_duOivBOekU6LS3_8w25A#t=989 vs M2K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlRbJAQU4kM Old match I once linked in the diddy forums, only played good the first stock (and this is 2.6 Diddy, which I only played once this tournament in this very match)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lll3Jj2PWw Here's Rat creating the percussion for his new song Set me free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmLlMRxLxk Horrible speech about Smash

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I'M CHEAP

Also EV training traditionally is boring as hell.
This so much. At least you have good quick options in ORAS.
Super Training is ok. The Destiny prizes I can do without, but in early game in X/Y, it was nice change of pace and a less tedious way to EV train Pokes in Early game, since your only option otherwise is defeating 252 Attack/Special Attack EV Pokemon and 252 Speed EV Pokemon at that point, assuming nothing stands in your way.
Also Super Training has less luck to it, no chance of running into things you can't run away from that can screw up your EV spread/friendship values, and you have easy access to all 6, which you don't have early/mid game.

Super Training is something that should be in DPPtHGSS.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

my point still stands i feel.

it's not like gaming is only capable of remaining niche/specific.

Bleck

Smash Master
the concept of EVs in general is dumbbbb

my point still stands i feel.

it's not like gaming is only capable of remaining niche/specific.
I'm not saying it is - rather I'm criticizing the niche that esports currently largely caters to

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
the concept of EVs in general is dumbbbb
I personally think it's pretty good, training doesn't lead to immediate results and it does a good job of providing a steady upgrade of stats all the way to level 100. Allows you to build pokémon in more specific areas, which is cool.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I remember when I was in to Pokemon.

All I did was horde shinies, events and EV trained ones, clone them, and then trade my way up.

God I ****ing hate pokemon.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I thought EV's were alright tho.

IV's are the L-canceling of Pokemon tho, no reason to exist.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Are you lying? How do you keep dreaming of Smash, with people you've never met. I mean I have dreams with people I've never met, but then I have sex with them and I don't have a clue who they are.

and on that note here's my face (which I linked to you before):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wFYbhaaUQ0&list=UUC_duOivBOekU6LS3_8w25A#t=989 vs M2K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlRbJAQU4kM Old match I once linked in the diddy forums, only played good the first stock (and this is 2.5 Diddy, which I only played once this tournament in this very match)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lll3Jj2PWw Here's Rat creating the percussion for his new song Set me free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmLlMRxLxk Horrible speech about Smash
Oh yeah, I remember now. I don't have a great memory for faces unless I see people in person though

I have multiple dreams at night, normally because the first 1 or 2 are horrible and I wake up extremely angry and go to sleep again. Smash is on my mind a lot so it comes up in dreams sometimes

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I remember when I was in to Pokemon.

All I did was horde shinies, events and EV trained ones, clone them, and then trade my way up.

God I ****ing hate pokemon.
Competitive pokemon is euuugh I think. I'd much rather build secret bases and win cute contests with Groudon.

Bleck

Smash Master
I personally think it's pretty good, training doesn't lead to immediate results and it does a good job of providing a steady upgrade of stats all the way to level 100. Allows you to build pokémon in more specific areas, which is cool.
yeah I can see how EVs are conceptually good, but I think that having to grind them up is basically bull****

being able to allocate certain stats to certain areas doesn't need to necessarily involve grinding

**** grinding

and speaking of grinding

yeah **** IVs

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Oh yeah, I remember now. I don't have a great memory for faces unless I see people in person though

I have multiple dreams at night, normally because the first 1 or 2 are horrible and I wake up extremely angry and go to sleep again. Smash is on my mind a lot so it comes up in dreams sometimes
Well yeah and none of those are good quality. You'll have to do your travelling Smash thing to meet me in person when you visit Northern Chicago/Wisconsin. I want to rest easy knowing you're dreaming about me correctly, though I'm still fine with a cat suit.

I remember when I met D1 in person, you're always use to seeing him head on when he commentates: I got to see him from the side and freaked out.

The first dreams are horrible?

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I thought EV's were alright tho.

Outside of a few trick room niches, pretty much this all the way.

I don't like Nature or EVs, but I understand the appeal. **** IVs.

Requires less inputs, less mind-numbing, less luck-based.
This so much. At least you have good quick options in ORAS.
Super Training is ok. The Destiny prizes I can do without, but in early game in X/Y, it was nice change of pace and a less tedious way to EV train Pokes in Early game, since your only option otherwise is defeating 252 Attack/Special Attack EV Pokemon and 252 Speed EV Pokemon at that point, assuming nothing stands in your way.
Also Super Training has less luck to it, no chance of running into things you can't run away from that can screw up your EV spread/friendship values, and you have easy access to all 6, which you don't have early/mid game.

Super Training is something that should be in DPPtHGSS.
Early game Super Training is better simply because of the lack of access, but post game Power items + horde EV training is incredibly easy, especially for the fact that there are certain places where your 100% guaranteed to find a horde that will only give you a specific EV, and sweet scent guarantees that you get a horde. You can max out an EV to 252 in literally 5 minutes this way.

I mean in terms of simple efficiency, its way better. But I suppose ST is more engaging.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Competitive pokemon is euuugh I think. I'd much rather build secret bases and win cute contests with Groudon.
Yeah I mostly hate competitive pokemon.

Otherwise I think the games are okay RPGs, but pretty lackluster compared to others. They're cute and bring me down memory lane at least.

Speaking of RPGs, could someone recommend me a good one? I've got 20 days to kill and miss playing video games.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

THIS IS REAL!?

IS THIS REAL?

LOOOOL ****KK

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
yeah I can see how EVs are conceptually good, but I think that having to grind them up is basically bull****

being able to allocate certain stats to certain areas doesn't need to necessarily involve grinding

**** grinding

and speaking of grinding

yeah **** IVs
EVs are gooduns in my mind, especially in a post-super training world where you can reset EVs and build specifically whenever the hell you feel like, without sticking to a super-specific guide. also super training is fun so I can't complain too much

IVs are still about as far disconnected from what the rest of pokemon tells you as you can get, though. remember, kids, every pokemon is special and equal and important, except also invisible RNG stats means that when you have two of the same pokemon on hand, one will always be objectively better

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
EVs in gen 3 were literally the worst. Emerald was too little, too late IMO.
IVs were meant to be the embodiment of how every pokemon, even those of the same species, is different, but I feel that this mechanic has to go.... or be revamped to be less frustrating to breeders.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
there's a million easier ways to show that, though. I mean, honestly, how many casual players pay attention to stats enough to even know IVs exist? like, if they just stopped existing in the next pokemon game, how many casual players would notice?

Vashimus

Smash Master
There are some Pokemon hacks out there with items that allow you to change a Poke's IV of your choice to 31 if you give them to a guy, kinda like a Heart Scale. It's not perfect, but at least it's something.

The stat experience from the old games wasn't bad for EVs. It was always funny seeing something like Gengar still hit hard and fast yet take hits like a champ.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Have fun guys, I'm quiting smash, found my true calling.

Professional slide whistle player, hit me up if you want me for birthday parties

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Every time they announce a new PKMN game, I get excited and think I will buy it. Then the release date passes and I realize I'm missing out on nothing.

Also, why can't Falco have better options in Smash 4?

I was having trouble beating ZSS in Smash 4 until I started rolling around and just doing grab > b-throw offstage > B-air their recovery. It is his one really good option. The game keeps making me feel sucky, but then I think I want to unlock all the customs. Then I realize what a grind classic and other methods of getting customs are and I just wish that there was someone to play PM with.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Competitive PKMN is fun but the EV training and IV breeding thing is such a chore even though it's easier than ever and I've been EV training since 4th gen.

Top Bottom