• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Roster Reveal - Roy!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Only thing that seems odd is his nair. It just seems a little, ahdunnuh, over-the-top to have huge fire effects bellowing from the sword on a move that would be as repeatedly used as a basic aerial. It would be like Falcon's knee sparking lightning everywhere regardless of if it hit, and takes away from the feeling of reward having the fire occur on-hit only.

I know I nitpick, but I still feel like these kinds of effects are better off being subdued.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Only thing that seems odd is his nair. It just seems a little, ahdunnuh, over-the-top to have huge fire effects bellowing from the sword on a move that would be as repeatedly used as a basic aerial. It would be like Falcon's knee sparking lightning everywhere regardless of if it hit, and takes away from the feeling of reward having the fire occur on-hit only.

I know I nitpick, but I still feel like these kinds of effects are better off being subdued.
Normally I'd agree, but it just looks so damn tight for Roy I don't think I'd ever wanna see the nair without flames. But I can't say that I don't agree with your sentiment. It'd feel great if the effects triggered on hit.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

Nah, it's better the way it is.

This whole "reward" thing is a bit overrated. I'd rather have a fancy and flashy looking attack than one that just slightly had an affect on a certain condition.

Keep it how it is.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I would like to see the fire effect toned down just a little.

I love the fire on nair, but not really the over the top effect.

Why isn't teh fyre on Fsmash?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
DSmash and Bair look super legit though (especially considering how long Bair seems to last). I kind of agree otherwise on Nair.

Boo Mansion

Smash Apprentice
That is pretty much an opinion. Personally, I thought FE4 had a lot of issues.

FE3 is also extremely dated.

Personally, I regard FE5 and FE6 as the pinnacle of the series.
While FE5 and FE6 are great, I don't think Leif or Roy can really compare with Sigurd (who if I recall correctly, was even considered by Sakurai to be in Melee before they decided on Roy).

Also anyone that thinks Awakening is the best FE game, probably hasn't played the rest of the franchise.

I'm glad to see Roy returning in Project: M though, more Fire Emblem reps are always welcome!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
While FE5 and FE6 are great, I don't think Leif or Roy can really compare with Sigurd (who if I recall correctly, was even considered by Sakurai to be in Melee before they decided on Roy).
I know Roy and Leaf don't compare to Sigurd (who was the strongest lord in the series up until Hector or Ike).

However, Sakurai never considered Sigurd. That is just a false rumor.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Awakening has nice presentation and probably one of the most fluid tutorial systems out there. It's a fantastic gateway FE, but nowhere near the best.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Roy is a usable but kind of weak lord. However, he has arguably the best sword in the series, being the equal of Ragnel, but with the added benefit of allowing him to heal.

As for FE Awakening, it's good as a gateway FE game, but it is lacking in map design a bit (no elevations, few hazards and interactive objects). Despite that, I did put 672 hours on it.

vanhuynh16

Smash Cadet
Roy is a usable but kind of weak lord. However, he has arguably the best sword in the series, being the equal of Ragnel, but with the added benefit of allowing him to heal.

As for FE Awakening, it's good as a gateway FE game, but it is lacking in map design a bit (no elevations, few hazards and interactive objects). Despite that, I did put 672 hours on it.
Is there more to talk about Roy's Counter? Or is it just like as the Project M says? I'm guessing it's just like melee? Or was it changed at all? Thanks again!

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Is there more to talk about Roy's Counter? Or is it just like as the Project M says? I'm guessing it's just like melee? Or was it changed at all? Thanks again!
His counter looks the same judging from the Turbo Roy video but it's hard to say considering we couldn't see the percents.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Roy's new taunts look really cool. One small quibble though. Anyone else think that his old Melee taunt needs a little more arm shaking and to pose a moment longer?

Compare the new animation in the Turbo Trailer to the original one here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLwHOov4A8o (@1:22)

Notice how his left arm shakes and he holds the pose which gives the animation a little more oomph to it. @Vigilante

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Roy's counter is basically the same as Melee.

I think the differences some of you might be seeing is that the flame effect is more visually prominent where the sword is, and it's spinning. So at some angles, the effect would seem diminished because the blade is further from the camera.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I was actually a bit skeptical when this move was proposed, but when I play-tested it, I ended up liking it.

red9rd

Smash Ace
Speaking of characters based on their games. I always wondered why Ness and Lucas only use moves that they cant actually use in their own games?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Speaking of characters based on their games. I always wondered why Ness and Lucas only use moves that they cant actually use in their own games?
Does it occur to no one that "Representative" means they represent more than just themselves, but the other characters from their games? Looking at it that way, it explains quite clearly why they'd use other peoples moves.

Dark_Ness

Smash Journeyman
Ness uses PK Flash in Earthbound and in Melee/Brawl.
Lucas uses Offense Up in Mother 3 and in Project M.

As for the rest of their specials, the Smash games explain it away by saying they were simply taught these moves by another party member at some point.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
As far as we're concerned, we've only made Lucas more canon than he originally was. But yes, earlier smash precedents aren't totally in line with canon, but are already established in the franchise. I don't think Ness players would appreciate if we changed how their main played too much.

Still, when a change is necessary, we tend to look toward canonical moves first when fishing for ideas, since the barebone concept of smash is well... playing your favourite Nintendo protagonists/antagonists in a fighting game. Giving Link a long-range shotgun would make him better, but that wouldn't make sense for him. You could say it's a balance between fanservice and actual gameplay balance. Adding a move that's in a character's game won't do if it doesn't add much to its gameplay.

Offense Up is kind of an example where we could balance gameplay and canon very well together.

red9rd

Smash Ace
No i think you guys did an awesome job and I like how Ness and Lucas are. I was just wondering why Nintendo didn't use PK Rockin or PK Love.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Aaaah, yeah... I don't think Sakurai played Earthbound much. The other possibility is that for some reaosn, he didn't think Ness and Lucas' movesets were enough inspiration.

BEES

Smash Lord
I think that the issue is that if we don't do anything to put him in a competitive environment now, it could be many years before something like P:M happens on the Wii U. Mewtwo is a given, though, yeah.

I like Shadow, but he's kind of bland and doesn't have any definable strengths that don't make him OP. Imagine making a cool balanced Shadow. It's pretty hard.

Yeah. haha There's enough of that, thank you.
If we're talking about potential Sonic characters.... I actually think the fella in your avatar would be the most interesting addition. I think it comes down to Metal Sonic or Knuckles at the end of the day, really. They're less of a Sonic clone than Shadow would be, and more suitable for a fighting game than Tails. That, and they were on the Genesis, so that gives them more legitimacy.

I'm actually worried about the opposite, Roy was so poop in melee, and he doesn't look too much better[or maybe it's me] hard to tell without playing it

I'm just worried he's going to suffer like Link did all the way up till demo 2.6
The thing about Roy in Melee was that he really only needed minor improvements to go from being terrible to being really good. I think this concern of yours will not be an issue. It looks like they gave him exactly what was needed.

Mega man would be awesome in PM. At the same time, I think we should let Mega man shine in SSB4. Let's just hope Sakurai and his team won't screw up the game like Brawl! Also no one give that "Ridley is too big" crap. I think Olimar being normal sized is as ridiculous as Ridley being normal sized. Olimar is REALLY small. I think Ridley could work fine. He can be slightly taller than bowser so it is not too weird.
I think there's simply a utilitarian argument that it would be easier to clone MegaMan into project M once the new smash is released and we have a better idea of how he plays there. That, and it might be better to let Nintendo fail at it first before we go and do it the right way. (Yeah sure maybe the new smash will be good... no way to know that until it's out really).

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
If we're talking about potential Sonic characters.... I actually think the fella in your avatar would be the most interesting addition. I think it comes down to Metal Sonic or Knuckles at the end of the day, really. They're less of a Sonic clone than Shadow would be, and more suitable for a fighting game than Tails. That, and they were on the Genesis, so that gives them more legitimacy.

I think there's simply a utilitarian argument that it would be easier to clone MegaMan into project M once the new smash is released and we have a better idea of how he plays there. That, and it might be better to let Nintendo fail at it first before we go and do it the right way. (Yeah sure maybe the new smash will be good... no way to know that until it's out really).
I actually hadn't considered that before. He does have a lot of good qualities for SSB, especially his Black Shield from SA2. I think quite a few people could get mad, though, since he's literally a robot copy of Sonic (with some extras).

I think the metagame and matchups for Mega Man aren't as important as knowing his full moveset and attributes. If the PMBR could get those down, I don't think most people would care how he's used in P:M compared to SSB4. With all the other tools here that probably aren't going to be in that game (like wavedashing), and P:M potentially lacking new tools in the SSB4 engine, he's going to be different no matter what.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Roy's new taunts look really cool. One small quibble though. Anyone else think that his old Melee taunt needs a little more arm shaking and to pose a moment longer?

Compare the new animation in the Turbo Trailer to the original one here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLwHOov4A8o (@1:22)

Notice how his left arm shakes and he holds the pose which gives the animation a little more oomph to it. @Vigilante
The arm shaking is still there. It's much more noticeable in game when running at 60 fps.

Top Bottom