• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Roster Reveal - Roy!

Project M

Shared Account

Wait, that's not our usual logo! That's because it's our new logo. And with a new logo comes other things...

We recently introduced Turbo Tuesdays, but we're not done yet with announcements! Someone new has joined the roster, prepare yourself for...

--The PMBR

Roy, the son of Eliwood, returns to the battlefield! It's been a long time coming but the team is happy to finally reveal this character. It was a long thought dream of the team to be able to bring back an old favorite but now that dream is reality! Roy does not replace anyone at all, he has his own character select slot and icon. We've worked hard to restore Roy to his former glory and also give him some new tools. We hope you all will look forward to playing this character once again.

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
Wait, does this mean we have a working clone engine? DOES THIS MEAN MEWTWO AS WELL MAYBE LATER?!?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
That model is super nice. Wish there was some where I could go to see more of it.

Vibrant Roy delayed until I can work with this model...

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I love this. I really hope this means that we're getting the rest of the cast soon, too. Maybe Mewtwo as well?
That model is super nice. Wish there was some where I could go to see more of it.

Vibrant Roy delayed until I can work with this model...
Now he'll be better than ever!

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Fun Fact: On the PM Facebook there are members talking as though Roy is the first of a line of potential clone engine characters. Time to start crossing my fingers for Pichu.

Edit: Not to undermine or take away from this initial announcement. This is amazing and I can't freaking wait to play as him. The level of dedication towards this project is insane.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Fun Fact: On the PM Facebook there are members talking as though Roy is the first of a line of potential clone engine characters. Time to start crossing my fingers for Pichu.
Ohmanohman. There's obviously Mewtwo, then. Don't know about Pichu, though. I'd place Dr. Mario and even Mega Man over him in likelihood.

Pkjoan

Smash Apprentice
PMBR, you guys are the best!!! I hope Nintendo hire this guys for the next SSB.

I officially love this boards!

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
I don't see Dr. Mario or Pichu making it in, since Pichu sucks and Dr. Mario's best aspects have already been folded into Mario's moveset, but Mewtwo is practically a given now.

This is insane. Props to the PMBR.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I don't see Dr. Mario or Pichu making it in, since Pichu sucks and Dr. Mario's best aspects have already been folded into Mario's moveset, but Mewtwo is practically a given now.

This is insane. Props to the PMBR.
I don't either; it's just that Pichu's best aspects are practically nothing. haha

I cannot freaking wait for more characters. Cheers!

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I just **** bricks

Never going back to melee again after this

My life is complete

Hoping for Mewtwo eventually and maybe another, NOT Dr. Mario or Pichu, Young Link could work if they give him another moveset based off Majora's Mask, but I was thinking of an Assist Trophy character given a full moveset, one with enough similarities to a character already in the game so they don't have to make something entirely new

Vashimus

Smash Master
I don't either; it's just that Pichu's best aspects are practically nothing. haha
Pichu is stronger, faster, and has a better recovery than Pikachu since his Up-B can be angled better and has virtually no landing lag. Kinky knows a lot more about Pichu and can tell you more about his other traits than I can, but saying Pichu had no good aspects worth taking isn't true, and it probably explains why Pikachu is looking pretty average right now.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Incredibly work, props to all those involved in making this happen.

So when is this coming out!?

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pichu is stronger, faster, and has a better recovery than Pikachu since his Up-B can be angled better and has virtually no landing lag. Kinky knows a lot more about Pichu and can tell you more about his other traits than I can, but saying Pichu had no good aspects worth taking isn't true, and it probably explains why Pikachu is looking pretty average right now.
Pichu definitely had some good aspects, but I'd much rather see them incorporated into Pikachu (Dr. Mario style) than add yet another Pokemon to the character select screen (keeping in mind that I fully expect Mewtwo to be added at some point). Too many Pokemon already! Super Pokemon Bros.!

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I just **** bricks
NOT Dr. Mario or Pichu, Young Link could work if they give him another moveset based off Majora's Mask, but I was thinking of an Assist Trophy character given a full moveset, one with enough similarities to a character already in the game so they don't have to make something entirely new

I'd rather see all of them come back if it's possible. There are tons of people out there who like Young Link but hate Toon Link, for example. Taking a few aspects of a character isn't enough to represent that old character. A character is the sum of his or her parts. If nothing else, it'd be great if the PMBR just ported over the old characters and left it at that.

But again, no need to speculate over the possible when we only got news of Roy coming back an hour or so ago.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I'd rather see all of them come back if it's possible. There are tons of people out there who like Young Link but hate Toon Link, for example. Taking a few aspects of a character isn't enough to represent that old character. A character is the sum of his or her parts. If nothing else, it'd be great if the PMBR just ported over the old characters and left it at that.

But again, no need to speculate over the possible when we only got news of Roy coming back an hour or so ago.
I'm one of the people who likes Young Link and hates Toon Link, I didn't like Wind Waker at all, but I think I'd rather have a new character than another Link, and they can't just port them, they'd have to make them viable

Honestly this opens a door for Project M to become way more popular than it already is, there aren't anymore real limitations, but that doesn't mean they should go crazy either, if another character new to the series were added, one that a lot of people were hoping for in the first place and is wildly popular amongst people who use casual brawl hacks, Project M's popularity would skyrocket

As it is now, it's seen as a melee hack with brawl characters that were already there, even with Roy he was already in melee, you add someone new and popular in though and people will go nuts

That's just being real for the future, but for right now, I'm hyped as all hell for Roy, Link will always be my main but Roy's gonna be my secondary for sure

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
^ All of this

I really think they'll consider Mega Man if it doesn't have Nintendo suing the hell out of them. He's got everyone hyped for the next game; imagine that with balancing, a huge cast, and Sonic/Mewtwo, who I think are the most desired characters for SSB4 now. Things could get pretty crazy.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
They wouldn't really need to make them viable though, would they (especially Pichu)? If we viewed them as bonus characters thrown in just to make old fans happy it'd be no big deal if they weren't as good as the rest of the cast. It'd be cool if they were, but I'd much rather have more characters who aren't as good than no more characters.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
They wouldn't really need to make them viable though, would they (especially Pichu)? If we viewed them as bonus characters thrown in just to make old fans happy it'd be no big deal if they weren't as good as the rest of the cast. It'd be cool if they were, but I'd much rather have more characters who aren't as good than no more characters.
I honestly think it just screws with their philosophy of having everything perfect, and if not, refusing to include it. If it weren't that, they'd have implemented cBliss, the stage expansion and other things in by now as well.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I think people are forgetting that making new characters from scratch, even if they're already present in Melee, take a tremendous amount of hard work. I'm amazed they succeeded with the clone engine to begin with.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I think people are forgetting that making new characters from scratch, even if they're already present in Melee, take a tremendous amount of hard work. I'm amazed they succeeded with the clone engine to begin with.
That too, although there's plenty of resources to draw from in the PMBR, for sure.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
How hard it must've been for the PMBR to keep this a secret :rotfl:

Everybody on facebook - "Where's Samus?"
PMBR - "How little you know... *evil laughter* "

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I honestly think it just screws with their philosophy of having everything perfect, and if not, refusing to include it. If it weren't that, they'd have implemented cBliss, the stage expansion and other things in by now as well.

I guess that's true. The "lazy" (with heavy use of quotes around the word lazy because any work is far from) approach would really only work with Pichu since he was always intended as a joke character. Still something I'd like to see, beating people with low tiers is a special kind of satisfaction that just can't be achieved in a game as balanced as PM and it'd be nice to have a good old fashion garbage character for bragging rights.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I guess that's true. The "lazy" (with heavy use of quotes around the word lazy because any work is far from) approach would really only work with Pichu since he was always intended as a joke character. Still something I'd like to see, beating people with low tiers is a special kind of satisfaction that just can't be achieved in a game as balanced as PM and it'd be nice to have a good old fashion garbage character for bragging rights.
Oh, totally. I hope someone takes this new opportunity to make a Pichu mod that can be used without overwriting anything (although they'd have to manage to get a +1 character out of the code).

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
How hard it must've been for the PMBR to keep this a secret :rotfl:

Everybody on facebook - "Where's Samus?"
PMBR - "How little you know... *evil laughter* "
People knew. PMBR made mistakes and left some Roy stuff in the files once or twice.

Plus, people talk.

In any case, YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dibs on red roy

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I just **** bricks

Never going back to melee again after this

My life is complete

Hoping for Mewtwo eventually and maybe another, NOT Dr. Mario or Pichu, Young Link could work if they give him another moveset based off Majora's Mask, but I was thinking of an Assist Trophy character given a full moveset, one with enough similarities to a character already in the game so they don't have to make something entirely new
oh god
guys
what if they make the ridley brawl should have had
GUYS

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
People knew. PMBR made mistakes and left some Roy stuff in the files once or twice.

Plus, people talk.

Also, clone engine stream waaaaaaaaay back when Dantarion was more active. But considering that, I don't think people were expecting this, at least not this early. Clone engine work was though to be put to the side in favor of keeping up with the main project.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

Plus, people talk.

I remember being one of the first people to find Roy's name tag in 2.1, I think it was. I pointed it out on the release thread and my comment got deleted. Oh the good ol' days.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
yeah, people kind of expected roy to come around when the clone engine was done. it's less that, and more that holy hell they got the clone engine working
imagine the possibilities here. from a technical perspective, I am god damn amazed right now lemme tell ya

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Also, clone engine stream waaaaaaaaay back when Dantarion was more active. But considering that, I don't think people were expecting this, at least not this early. Clone engine work was though to be put to the side in favor of keeping up with the main project.
Yeah, they fooled me...

Top Bottom