• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Roster Reveal - Roy!

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Anyway, so far it's confirmed that Turbo Mode, Roy, and I'm guessing Samus will be likely are in store for P:M 3.0
Unless.... The uber troll....
*Roy isn't released 3.0*

In an interview one of the BR members said the stretch goal for 3.0 was get the rest of the Brawl cast (+ Roy and Turbo Mode + who knows what else) into the game but nothing is quite set in stone yet.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
From what I see from the turbo video (particularly from 1:04) Roy's recovery gets a major horizontal boost. Always welcome in my book.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
It was in the Japan Time podcast, the most recent one in the last 20 minutes or so.

Edit: beaten to the punch.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Found the video. The part that talks about the returning Brawl characters is from approximately 1:00:30 to 1:02:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bO1avXOzs1Y#t=3650
Oh ok, so by returning Brawl characters they mean whoever will be ready among Olimar, Yoshi, ICs, Samus and Kirby. At first I thought by "Brawl characters" you meant characters from Brawl, i.e. just Olimar along with Roy. Nice to clear that up. Also interesting to hear that Samus's Zair would write to the PM physics for a frame and screw things up, that would make a pretty good bloopers vid.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Oh ok, so by returning Brawl characters they mean whoever will be ready among Olimar, Yoshi, ICs, Samus and Kirby. At first I thought by "Brawl characters" you meant characters from Brawl, i.e. just Olimar along with Roy. Nice to clear that up. Also interesting to hear that Samus's Zair would write to the PM physics for a frame and screw things up, that would make a pretty good bloopers vid.
Yeah, sorry for the confusion. That part was really cool to learn. The whole thing seemed really interesting, from what I listened to.

red9rd

Smash Ace

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
That's awesome thanks for the news. That sucks about trying to deal with the legal crap, hopefully in the future someone makes a sub mod that makes it so you can play as all the playable characters from the smash series.
There are plenty of SSB4 mods in progress, so being able to put them all together someday is pretty likely, and maybe people will even make P:M versions. However, there's still that newly revealed 7-character limit...

red9rd

Smash Ace
There are plenty of SSB4 mods in progress, so being able to put them all together someday is pretty likely, and maybe people will even make P:M versions. However, there's still that newly revealed 7-character limit...
Yeah that and the no new projectiles and items.

red9rd

Smash Ace
How many new characters do you think will be in the new smash?

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
We're actually quite resourceful. You'd be surprised what our coders can accomplish even under those restrictions.
Question: is there a different way of using articles in clone characters than there is in PSAs built on other characters? For instance, if you guys wanted to make Mewtwo, would making his Shadow Ball be any different than how the guys at the Project Mewtwo made their move for the PSA over Lucario?

Vigilante

Smash Lord
You have to borrow articles from other characters and modify them. For the most part, it's possible to make them look completely new with some originality. it requires more than just changing stuff in PSA because assembly coding is needed to clone those articles (as well as the characters). Furthermore, it takes a lot more work than what you'd normally find from Brawl Vault builds to make a Project M quality build. I don't mean to say the work done on Brawl Vault is lazy or terrible, but we have a different take on what makes a quality build. It has to work within the confines of Project M's engine, follow certain standards, etc... In some cases, one could also potentially use some rigging magic to make a projectile look different for example.

So yes, despite the fact that we have limitations to contend with, we can do some amazing things within those limits. The work load necessary for those things is pretty intense however, so it has to be worth it for us to consider a large article change.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
You have to borrow articles from other characters and modify them. For the most part, it's possible to make them look completely new with some originality. it requires more than just changing stuff in PSA because assembly coding is needed to clone those articles (as well as the characters). Furthermore, it takes a lot more work than what you'd normally find from Brawl Vault builds to make a Project M quality build. I don't mean to say the work done on Brawl Vault is lazy or terrible, but we have a different take on what makes a quality build. It has to work within the confines of Project M's engine, follow certain standards, etc... In some cases, one could also potentially use some rigging magic to make a projectile look different for example.

So yes, despite the fact that we have limitations to contend with, we can do some amazing things within those limits. The work load necessary for those things is pretty intense however, so it has to be worth it for us to consider a large article change.
You guys definitely hold yourselves to a high standard, no doubt. That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for responding.

Even with all of that in mind, I'm still calling Mewtwo, as the second CE character. You guys know the fanbase too well and are too experienced to not make it happen.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
So, i got a question and sort of just giving some project m fan input. i never really played melee(i'm 18 now so i was fairly young when it was out) but after growing and loving fighting games competitively, i've especially fallen in love with PM. I read that Roy's blade dance tricks were important to him in melee yes? I was thinking that more could perhaps be added then besides a backwards swipe, though this does add a good option for him as the situation needs it. but if it's something you really wanna flaunt as a main trick up his sleeve then what about having the final option also being shield, for a roll out of the blade dance (only the direction he's facing) and A for a fsmash (chargable)?
again I'm completely oblivious to what this may do for him as i have no idea what he was like in melee, i'm also aware that it would take more work for the coders and animators. i'm only making a suggestion i think would be pretty cool and wondering what you guys think, i don't think it's too bad considering what some are asking.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
So, i got a question and sort of just giving some project m fan input. i never really played melee(i'm 18 now so i was fairly young when it was out) but after growing and loving fighting games competitively, i've especially fallen in love with PM. I read that Roy's blade dance tricks were important to him in melee yes? I was thinking that more could perhaps be added then besides a backwards swipe, though this does add a good option for him as the situation needs it. but if it's something you really wanna flaunt as a main trick up his sleeve then what about having the final option also being shield, for a roll out of the blade dance (only the direction he's facing) and A for a fsmash (chargable)?
again I'm completely oblivious to what this may do for him as i have no idea what he was like in melee, i'm also aware that it would take more work for the coders and animators. i'm only making a suggestion i think would be pretty cool and wondering what you guys think, i don't think it's too bad considering what some are asking.
According to Roy's character page on the P:M site, his blade dance has four directional options for the final attack, allowing a multitude of options for continuing, or escaping, the combo.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Well, Roy already had 4 different final attack options with DED. So does Marth, with DB. The difference is that Roy's final attacks are new and improved, probably to make completing a DED thoroughly worth it, rather than just getting in an extra hit. The being able to turn around thing is cool too. It makes spacing it have infinitely more possiblities, because you can begin it from different spacings without having to let them fall out.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Neither had 4 final attack options in Melee. There was Up, Forward, and Down. Roy has all of those plus Back now.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
That's what I was saying, not that I don't appreciate what having that extra option means but having 5 or even 6 options out of blade dance would definitely seperate his blade dance more although I am speaking without knowing the technical differences between his and marth's. it's just something I wanted to propose that I think would be really cool and would add more depth to Roy's blade dance.
I don't wanna sound ungrateful for what we have though, but I wanna do so while sharing my thoughts yaknow?

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
That's what I was saying, not that I don't appreciate what having that extra option means but having 5 or even 6 options out of blade dance would definitely seperate his blade dance more although I am speaking without knowing the technical differences between his and marth's. it's just something I wanted to propose that I think would be really cool and would add more depth to Roy's blade dance.
I don't wanna sound ungrateful for what we have though, but I wanna do so while sharing my thoughts yaknow?
I'm afraid I don't understand why you want extra options. The new techniques added to Roy's BD in P:M can set up for so many further approach options. You mentioned earlier that you wanted the ability to roll or F-smash out the BD? Well, if hit your opponent in the correct direction with the appropriate amount of spacing, you should be able to continue into an F-smash. If you want to retreat or get behind your opponent, just stop the combo and roll or wavedash to the desired position. Roy's sword play is already quite different from Marth's, and it seems P:M is doing quite a bit to improve and add further unique elements to Roy since we've last seen him in Melee. So I wouldn't fret about differentiation between the two characters, I think Roy's in good hands.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Neither had 4 final attack options in Melee. There was Up, Forward, and Down. Roy has all of those plus Back now.
There's no neutral one? Admittedly, I obviously didn't use those moves very extensively. When I used DB or DED, I just kind of hit directions to try and follow DI, not really paying much attention to the individual attacks.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Can we get a zoomed in shot of Roy in the game from the front? I've noticed all the screenshots pretty much cover his face and features.

MLGF

Smash Lord
KNOW WHAT!?
...That's totally reasonable and I never expected a response from my joke post.
But I do hope Ike's emphasis on "blue flames" is better shown, perhaps blue afterblurs (I'm 90% this isn't the correct term, I don't know the actually term however. Apologies!) on some of his swings?
I know it sounds stupid, but I feel the distinction is necessary in some ways.

Top Bottom