• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Mewtwo: A Balancing Project

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
IMO, a signature move like Psystrike should be either a B move or final smash, and not relegated to an A move. It'd make a decent candidate for replacing Down B.
Edit: I also use the HD Mewtwo textures ^. They work really well. They're the best ones I've found so far.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
To add to this, I've been using a Melee Mewtwo with HD retexture (here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=26470) because the model doesn't run into tail problems, but neither does vanilla Melee Mewtwo.

There's a Brawl complete pack for download here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=27923 containing starwaffle Mewtwo (normal and armored), Nintendo 64's Stadium Mewtwo, and HD Melee Mewtwo. Also victory music, portraits and CSPs, etc.

*Got links from AGFP's Project Mewtwo thread: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/project-mewtwo-preview-video-mewtwo-released-download-now.295547/
Solid choices. I already had the second one, but I'm glad that you think it's cool, too.
IMO, a signature move like Psystrike should be either a B move or final smash, and not relegated to an A move. It'd make a decent candidate for replacing Down B.
Yeah, I messed up and mistook it for Psycho Cut. I edited the post to give a better description.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Oh, Psycho Cut is a great idea. Particularly for one of the tilts, since you could likely make the animation match up with the properties and hitboxes of the old one, meaning you can keep a move that's already very useful but make it look much cooler. It also could be interesting as a DAttack, inspired by his Beam Sword DAttack in Melee, where he psychically spins the blade multiple times in front of him like a buzz saw.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Oh, Psycho Cut is a great idea. Particularly for one of the tilts, since you could likely make the animation match up with the properties and hitboxes of the old one, meaning you can keep a move that's already very useful but make it look much cooler. It also could be interesting as a DAttack, inspired by his Beam Sword DAttack in Melee, where he psychically spins the blade multiple times in front of him like a buzz saw.
I would be more than fine with either idea.

EDIT: That actually raises a question of mine: what exactly are the differences between the F-Tilt and D-Tilt? It's probably really obvious, but I honestly can't tell.

SmashGuy

Smash Journeyman
Put PM's .gct into GCTEdit. Copy the code into the new codes section, and open another window showing FPC 3.5.1. Delete all lines shared between the two codes. All the lines exclusive to 3.5.3 should be either at the beginning or end. You'll end up with 26 lines. Delete all spaces, enter the code, and save the new GCT.
Go to your private/wii/app/RSBE, or something along those lines. It should be pretty easy to find RSBE. Duplicate it, and rename the copy RSB4. This will be the folder used at the start. Put anything you want to be in your second folder, like Mewtwo, in the original RSBE. Switch between the two by pressing x+y with a GameCube controller in the player one slot.
I'm really sorry I don't get what you mean. So I open up GCT edit, press Open GCT, select RSBE01, then what? I'm sorry I need help.

@Dmickolas: D-Tilt is Down tilt, Which is crouching then pressing A. F-Tilt is Forward Tilt. You push the control stick just enough to walk then press A.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
So you have RSBE01.gct open, right? Take the code (FPC 3.5.3), and copy and paste it into the box on the right where you input new codes.
Open this link in another window.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=12169.0;wap2
Scroll down to " File Patch Code v3.5.1". Compare it to FPC 3.5.3. Scroll down in GCTEdit until you find the first line of code in 3.5.3 that is the same as the absolute first line of code in 3.5.1. Delete that line. You should now have a 1 line gap in the code where the line you deleted used to be. Now scroll down to the end of 3.5.3. Then slowly scroll up until you find the point where several lines of code are the exact same as the last few lines of 3.5.1. Delete from that point all the way up to where you left the gap in the code. You should now have 26 lines of code. Delete all the spaces, enter the code, save the gct.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
@Dmickolas: D-Tilt is Down tilt, Which is crouching then pressing A. F-Tilt is Forward Tilt. You push the control stick just enough to walk then press A.
I meant that I didn't understand what the difference was between Mewtwo's F-Tilt and D-Tilt, not what the tilts were. Sorry for the confusion.

SmashGuy

Smash Journeyman
So you have RSBE01.gct open, right? Take the code (FPC 3.5.3), and copy and paste it into the box on the right where you input new codes.
Scroll down to " File Patch Code v3.5.1". Compare it to FPC 3.5.3. Scroll down in GCTEdit until you find the first line of code in 3.5.3 that is the same as the absolute first line of code in 3.5.1. Delete that line. You should now have a 1 line gap in the code where the line you deleted used to be. Now scroll down to the end of 3.5.3. Then slowly scroll up until you find the point where several lines of code are the exact same as the last few lines of 3.5.1. Delete from that point all the way up to where you left the gap in the code. You should now have 26 lines of code. Delete all the spaces, enter the code, save the gct.
I deleted all code until 26 lines where left (in other words 26 lines were left but 26 isn't divisble by 16), because it seemed like both versions were almost excactly the same.... I need help!

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I've made a user-friendly collection of files for anyone who wants to change Mewtwo's voice and icons! Simple instructions are included; download here! You will need WinRar to open it. If anyone has any severe problems getting the files, let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b3dka1i20r9pe2/Mewtwo CSS Stuff.rar

I haven't mentioned this to Nguz, and it's based on the Starwaffle skins which may become problematic later on, so do not consider this the official pack for his Project M Mewtwo. However, it will provide a much more satisfying look to your game when using Mewtwo. Try it out, and if you don't like it, keep a backup file!

EDIT: accidentally left an unneccesary file in there. I don't want to get anyone confused, so now it's out.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
If I'm understanding, wouldn't it be way easier just to take out 3.5.1 and put in all of 3.5.3?

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Probably, but I don't know how to take out code in GCTedit, and this method , at least to me, is really easy anyways.
I deleted all code until 26 lines where left (in other words 26 lines were left but 26 isn't divisble by 16), because it seemed like both versions were almost excactly the same.... I need help!
So you managed to get all the 26 lines alone, and you tried to submit it but you got an error message saying the code isn't divisible by 16? That could mean several things. The first is you didn't delete all the spaces. Check at the end of the code to see if there is extra space there. You should have just a long string of numbers and letters with no breaks. Check also to see if you remembered to delete the title of the code. The third possibility is that you accidentally deleted one of the numbers or letters in one of the 26 lines. If that's what happened, you could either compare your sequence to the original code and look any missing numbers, or you could start over.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I just did it myself (it was way easier than the stage expansion thing a while back). Just use GCTEdit to save it as a .txt file, open it, delete the code and put in 3.5.3, open the .txt in GCTEdit, and save it as .gct.

SmashGuy

Smash Journeyman
I just did it myself (it was way easier than the stage expansion thing a while back). Just use GCTEdit to save it as a .txt file, open it, delete the code and put in 3.5.3, open the .txt in GCTEdit, and save it as .gct.
You mean I could just put in all the 3.5.3 code then take the spaces out and it works?
Could maybe one of you copy and paste your RSBE01 to here so I can download it easy? When I do it, It won't work.
So what I did was delete everything past the 26th line. Why didn't it work?

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
You mean I could just put in all the 3.5.3 code then take the spaces out and it works?
Could maybe one of you copy and paste your RSBE01 to here so I can download it easy? When I do it, It won't work.
So what I did was delete everything past the 26th line. Why didn't it work?
I don't know what's going on with yours, but I made one for you. Try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0g094vm3k3tfojg/351 GCC.gct

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Oooh... I didn't add the RSBE to your .gct file, so you can't run the sound effects. If you want, I can make another for you later on today.

SmashGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hey! Umm, I like it but my wii froze in the middle of gameplay and the Switching from RSB4 to RSBE didn't work... Did you use 3.5.1?
I forgot, I had the STAGE gct you have and I replaced it with FPC you gave me so I actually I didn't get to try out anything of yours. :(

But if you could make a new one for me tonight that would be great also having all your mewtwo stuff with it! :)

Uggggggghhh! Nothing is working for me! I'm following the instructions but its not working!!! :C

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I already have a .gct with the SFX bank, Expanded stages, 3.5.3 and Project M 2.6. It'll just be a second to upload it.

However, I had some issues running sound effects with 3.5.3, so I'll also include my 3.5.1 version.

3.5.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4y0px9ocn681xf/with 351.gct

3.5.3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/au3z7fg2kpwqlzs/with 353.gct

EDIT: Sorry for the wait, by the way. I was expecting all but the sfx to work until I could get back, so I didn't stress checking in on your progress much. I'll be up for a little while longer (it's late in my time zone; I don't know where you are), so just let me know how it works if you're still trying it!

EDIT 2: I just realized the 3.5.1 file should have the exact same function as the STAGE one, so don't think it's going to improve anything. My bad on that one.

If it's really causing problems with the new file patch, go back to the STAGE file and just use one RSB_ folder. It should make things run well again.

Mewter

Smash Master
Good job on the jab, Nguz!
Mewtwo's Dair feels more natural with the spark and faster startup, too.

I'm not opposed to a change in side tilt if it's just a change in animation, but also feel like the tail whip concept is good already. The tilt itself is already very good too.

AFROofJUSTICE

Smash Cadet
I was messing around with Mewtwo in training mode and I found out that Mewtwo freezes when he does a short hop Forward B. Also I like the new jab but I think the hitbox needs to be bigger.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Good job on the jab, Nguz!
Mewtwo's Dair feels more natural with the spark and faster startup, too.

I'm not opposed to a change in side tilt if it's just a change in animation, but also feel like the tail whip concept is good already. The tilt itself is already very good too.
I was messing around with Mewtwo in training mode and I found out that Mewtwo freezes when he does a short hop Forward B. Also I like the new jab but I think the hitbox needs to be bigger.
Everyone seems to be getting the jab to work except for me...

@Mewter: I believe that, if we're going to make the change, it would just be an animation one like you suggested. I still don't care much for the F-Tilt's hit, but it's nearly unanimous the other way, so that's what should happen.

@ AFROofJustice: I didn't experience that during my play, which was also in training mode for the most part. I'll try again to check if it might be a problem on your end.

AFROofJUSTICE

Smash Cadet
Everyone seems to be getting the jab to work except for me...

@Mewter: I believe that, if we're going to make the change, it would just be an animation one like you suggested. I still don't care much for the F-Tilt's hit, but it's nearly unanimous the other way, so that's what should happen.

@ AFROofJustice: I didn't experience that during my play, which was also in training mode for the most part. I'll try again to check if it might be a problem on your end.
Basically the jab hits slightly away from Mewtwo's face. His jab does not hit up close. I think it is a bit useless because the hitbox is small and your opponent needs to be in a certain placement in order to hit. ....Now that I think about it, I wonder if his jab would be a good on stage edge guarding tool. Hmm.....

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Basically the jab hits slightly away from Mewtwo's face. His jab does not hit up close. I think it is a bit useless because the hitbox is small and your opponent needs to be in a certain placement in order to hit. ....Now that I think about it, I wonder if his jab would be a good on stage edge guarding tool. Hmm.....
Okay, so it is like mine, then, although I thought it was farther out. Maybe the hitboxes are spread horizontally.

In any case, IMO something more like the original for hitbox placement, but like the new one for effect, would be better. I think Mewtwo has a pretty good edgeguard game already.

AFROofJUSTICE

Smash Cadet
Okay, so it is like mine, then, although I thought it was farther out. Maybe the hitboxes are spread horizontally.

In any case, IMO something more like the original for hitbox placement, but like the new one for effect, would be better. I think Mewtwo has a pretty good edgeguard game already.
I agree with your post. His jab actually does go out a bit farther (my bad on that one). His edgeguarding is pretty good especially since he can easily teleport to the ledge and hog it.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I agree with your post. His jab actually does go out a bit farther (my bad on that one). His edgeguarding is pretty good especially since he can easily teleport to the ledge and hog it.
Don't worry about it.

That and the new Dair. That's like a whole tier and a half increase right there if I were making the list.

EDIT: I just tried out the short-hop side-B. After trying to get down the combination for a while (I am not a technically skilled player), I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't connect while in the air. However, once I hit the ground, it will immediately work. My game didn't crash, though, if that's what you meant.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Nguz, i love the Mewtwo! it makes me feel nostalgic.

of topic: Dmickolas you can convert .wav files to .bnk? you mind helping me with something if you can?

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Dmickolas you can convert .wav files to .bnk? you mind helping me with something if you can?
Yeah, I can do that. I use SuperSwandz; it's very easy, although the .bnk includes all the files pertaining to one area (for instance, an announcer .bnk is for all announcers, not just Mewtwo; or Lucario's Sound Effects make one .bnk, not many). What do you need help with?

AFROofJUSTICE

Smash Cadet
Don't worry about it.

That and the new Dair. That's like a whole tier and a half increase right there if I were making the list.

EDIT: I just tried out the short-hop side-B. After trying to get down the combination for a while (I am not a technically skilled player), I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't connect while in the air. However, once I hit the ground, it will immediately work. My game didn't crash, though, if that's what you meant.
My game didn't crash. Basically Mewtwo doesn't move at all unless if something hits him. I think it happens when I skip the vulnerable state after forward B in the air. Forward B is a super useless move anyways so it isn't practical. Oh yeah, I love the new Dair it is a much better fit to him. The melee version of Dair wasn't very good and it didn't look like something Mewtwo would use as a move since he had all those powers. lol

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I still need help with putting in the sound replacement mod for sfx so i can use the mewtwo sfx. I am using hackless wi fi

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
My game didn't crash. Basically Mewtwo doesn't move at all unless if something hits him. I think it happens when I skip the vulnerable state after forward B in the air. Forward B is a super useless move anyways so it isn't practical. Oh yeah, I love the new Dair it is a much better fit to him. The melee version of Dair wasn't very good and it didn't look like something Mewtwo would use as a move since he had all those powers. lol

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I still need help with putting in the sound replacement mod for sfx so i can use the mewtwo sfx. I am using hackless wi fi
Does he do a T-Pose? I don't know what do to do if he does, but maybe Nguz will. In any case, I can't activate it myself (probably because I just can't do it on your level), so I can't really help much more for this.

For the sfx, go through this and follow the instructions. Let me know if you run into any problems.

AFROofJUSTICE

Smash Cadet
Does he do a T-Pose? I don't know what do to do if he does, but maybe Nguz will. In any case, I can't activate it myself (probably because I just can't do it on your level), so I can't really help much more for this.

For the sfx, go through this and follow the instructions. Let me know if you run into any problems.
No he doesn't do the T-pose. He is just in his idle pose except he doesn't animate. But don't worry about it though. I used the stage code and put in the sfx folder. The sfx for Mewtwo worked. However, the SSS on page 2 is screwed up. The icons are spread out. I am using the stage expansion pack from http://dabessdi.blogspot.com/ so I think it has something to do with the pack I am using. Any advice?

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
No he doesn't do the T-pose. He is just in his idle pose except he doesn't animate. But don't worry about it though. I used the stage code and put in the sfx folder. The sfx for Mewtwo worked. However, the SSS on page 2 is screwed up. The icons are spread out. I am using the stage expansion pack from http://dabessdi.blogspot.com/ so I think it has something to do with the pack I am using. Any advice?
I don't know, but I'll look into it right now while I wait for shadow0x0cloud to get back to me about his request. Nothing comes to mind, though...

EDIT: I figured it out. You don't have the full capacity of extra stages that most people do. I can send you a link to another collection that has the full stuff, if you want, but I don't have enough skill to mess with your code and have success.

EDIT 2: This is what I use. The STAGE.gct that I provided will work with it.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Oh I see! Yeah I will try out this collection you speak of. I do need a link though.
I just put one in for you; don't worry.

EDIT: I just remembered that you'll have to do a manual insertion of the files into the new pack's common5, because you use the Expansion Pack. I'll make sure to note that in the .txt for everyone else.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
So sorry that everybody is having problems. I guess that comes with the hitbox being invisible... I'll make it bigger. The jab hitbox was originally in the same place as before: at the tip of his palm where he used to stretch out his hand. I then moved it towards him and closer to the ground, to cover shorter opponents and to make it more jab-like. I'm pretty sure that if I make the hitbox a little bigger that will fix the problem, since I think it's in the right place right now.

@AFROofJUSTICE: I have had this problem before, but that's only when I have started changing stuff. He gets stuck in his idle animation for a little while, right? The only thing I can think of is this: On the ground his side-b has a new reflect hitbox that wasn't there before. I think that the idle animation comes because that hitbox is not there in the air command for his side-b. When you hit the ground the move switches from air to ground, keeping the animation in the same frame, but changing animations from the air animation to the ground animation. This also changes the moves, which normally wouldn't be an issue because they are the same in the ground and the air. Now, however, they are different, which might be causing the problem. I'll check it out.

I am currently away, but I will be back by Thursday, at which point I will be able to test both Dmickolas' soundbank and this current Mewtwo. In them meantime I have released one without the reflect hitbox, no permanent flame problems, and with a visual cue for the jab.

Sorry again.

Edit: It was a different problem. Side-b should work in the air now.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So sorry that everybody is having problems. I guess that comes with the hitbox being invisible... I'll make it bigger. The jab hitbox was originally in the same place as before: at the tip of his palm where he used to stretch out his hand. I then moved it towards him and closer to the ground, to cover shorter opponents and to make it more jab-like. I'm pretty sure that if I make the hitbox a little bigger that will fix the problem, since I think it's in the right place right now.

@AFROofJUSTICE: I have had this problem before, but that's only when I have started changing stuff. He gets stuck in his idle animation for a little while, right? The only thing I can think of is this: On the ground his side-b has a new reflect hitbox that wasn't there before. I think that the idle animation comes because that hitbox is not there in the air command for his side-b. When you hit the ground the move switches from air to ground, keeping the animation in the same frame, but changing animations from the air animation to the ground animation. This also changes the moves, which normally wouldn't be an issue because they are the same in the ground and the air. Now, however, they are different, which might be causing the problem. I'll check it out.

I am currently away, but I will be back by Thursday, at which point I will be able to test both Dmickolas' soundbank and this current Mewtwo. In them meantime I have released one without the reflect hitbox, no permanent flame problems, and with a visual cue for the jab.

Sorry again.
Don't be so hard on yourself. We all really appreciate what you're doing and get that this is a work in progress.

I'll try out the new version and post results again.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Don't be so hard on yourself. We all really appreciate what you're doing and get that this is a work in progress.

I'll try out the new version and post results again.
Thank you. It literally just finished uploading, so if you want to try it, you can download it now.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I meant that I didn't understand what the difference was between Mewtwo's F-Tilt and D-Tilt, not what the tilts were. Sorry for the confusion.
Dtilt sends the opponent up. It's good for quasi-tripping spacies, which sets up lots of tech chases. wavedash into dtild against fast fallers is sweet. Ftilt sends them at around a 45 degree angle. It's fast, has moderate power, and comes out near the ground, which makes it an excellent edgeguarding tool.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Dtilt sends the opponent up. It's good for quasi-tripping spacies, which sets up lots of tech chases. wavedash into dtild against fast fallers is sweet. Ftilt sends them at around a 45 degree angle. It's fast, has moderate power, and comes out near the ground, which makes it an excellent edgeguarding tool.
Oh, okay; that explains their usefulness a lot more than I understood before. Thanks!

I also thought about the implications of including a shield system for Mewtwo and write it off as Light Screen. He could form a double-wall like Pit's SSB4 shield (and probably use Pit's stance or the one from his own side-taunt) and act like a Shine, but with much less active time (sort of like Falco's Shine kick's time frame, but with the surrounding aspect like Fox's). It might be able to look like this, or you could go for the more simplistic, pinkish-transparent wall approach of the Stadium games (if memory serves me correctly). I think this would give him the ability to counter characters like Link a tad better, since he isn't able to really spam his Shadow Ball (as far as I've seen).

EDIT: Here's a video clip of Pokemon Stadium 2 right before Light Screen is used. It looks much less colored than I remembered.

Top Bottom