• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare Yourself! A Character Strategy Guide

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Prepare Yourself! A Brawl Singles Strategy Series

Hey so I have halted a character board frame trap compendium i was working to gather footage on how to combat top tier characters in this game. While I will start with MK, Diddy, Falco, Snake, IC, Marth, and Wario, I do wish to eventually transgress the cast in its entirety. So I would love to hear the community's input on strong tactics that come from the following characters: MK, Diddy, and Snake.

Note: If you feel that you have found some strong options vs a particular scenario or tactic the topic character utilizes then post it as well!!!

The first video is going to be MK ( surprise surprise)

For those of you who were able to check out Tyrants AIB blog he created to help the community, this project will be similar in nature except all answers will be assessed by some of my cohorts before being placed into the video.

I originally intended to put up this video already, but I would love the community's input so that all these are covered to the best of our abilities.

As far as the main people helping me out.......

- Mike Haze (brotha)
- Tyrant ( brotha)
- C.J ( you've already helped out a bit and would love some more of your input)
- Tuen ( just like C.J hahah)
- Delux ( since we are always discussing mechanics...)

Also if there are ANY other Smash Lab personnel, Pros, or exceptionally knowledgeable players that wish to aid me in this project PLEASE PM me. So lets have it shall we? The video can be as good as you all want it to be; we've just got help one another.

And please no banter and P1 vs Jebus battles.

That is all.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Are you going to say if you should play offensively, defensively... for each character?

C.J.

Smash Master
Blah
I'll get to it after this weekend. Going out of town tomorrow/Saturday, concert on Sunday, rehearsal on Monday.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Not sure what this is about.

So you're making videos on each character's options in certain situations against a certain character?
So like, talking about how everyone can punish nado after it hits their shield and stuff?

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Not sure what this is about.

So you're making videos on each character's options in certain situations against a certain character?
So like, talking about how everyone can punish nado after it hits their shield and stuff?
Bingo. Thats what Im going for. I hope that once i get the kinks worked out, I can make video per week to the tune of Assist Me by Maximillian

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
No questions on MK situations? Really? This is mad saddening. Is the OP not clear enough? Well I guess I should just get started on the video then..

Flayl

Smash Hero
Uh nowhere in your original post does it say you need questions to do anything

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
So I would love to hear the community's input on strong tactics that come from the following characters: MK, Diddy, and Snake.

Note: If you feel that you have found some strong options vs a particular scenario or tactic the topic character utilizes then post it as well!!!
@Flayl: Maybe questions was the wrong word but yeahhhhhh

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Well for MK, there's his f-tilt on shield, and the options he has from that (continuing or not basically) and the opponent's options (character dependant, also depends on whether you predict him stopping after f-tilt 1, 2 or 3)

There's also aerial up-b > glide attack punishing the air-dodge/landing. (don't think it frame traps anyone but maybe Peach, though it's good when you have a read)
Or similarly, aerial up-b on shield pushing them off > glide attack.

You probably already have this, but if not, talking about strategies to beat glide attack would be good. (most multi-hit moves, and any transcendent projectile/item)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
So... this is basically going to become a collection of effective tactics for every character, correct? Sounds like a pretty worthwhile project :) It'll be a while before you get to Wolf, but once you do, I have you covered.

For Snake, I find grenade pull > grab (dthrow) to be pretty effective. MK's dtilt > dsmash to cover rolls behind is good too imo. Might as well throw in the frame advantage/disadvantage on his ridiculously safe glide attack too :x

:059:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
As far as gdubs options vs mk stuff, we xan punish nado with upb by either hitting with it oos or blowing him up with the windboxes. Also if we ps shuttle loop we can uair him or rising fair oos. We have dthrow tech chases on him and dash attack outta dthrow... he ***** us on the ground though. RC is our stage though we're better than he is on that stage.

:phone:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
just letting you all know I had a huge family issue to attend to ( my brother nearly died trying to save this girl). So sorry about the delay. Im going to work with MikeHaze to get the first one out ASAP.

Roxas M

Smash Master
Another idea you could look into, since you meet up with MikeHaze and Tyrant a lot, is to do some sort of video about them. Since you're familiar with the SF scene, as well as videos from people like Maximillion, hopefully you've watched Mike Ross's Cross Counter Guide to Ryu Feat. Air. This could easily be adapted to a "Marth Guide Feat. MikeHaze, or with any top player + their Main character.

I could also give you any help with marth(not that you would need much more after talking to mike and tyrant, but no harm in offering) or some video editing assistance.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Who's going to be the first character?

Diddy's strong tactics are

1. His perfectly spaced glide toss
2. His monkey flip with a banana at hand
3. Peanut camping with a banana in front of him and a banana at hand.

Top Bottom