• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Funny thing you should mention "graceful" swordsmanship in a game that is loosely based off of Western mythos. I mean, look at Ike. He is carrying around a honkin' claymore for crying out loud!

There's a good reason as to why some Western swordsman utilized a lack of finesse: It was because they faced ARMORED opponents. Having your blade dulled in this case is a bloody blessing-in-disguise. Blades that are sharpened to a fine point are inherently flimsy and are more likely to make ineffective nicks along the surface or even break off inside somebody's armor if you stab them. Dulled, blunt blades can crush armor and cause substantial (possibly fatal) damage to the person. Dulled blades also have a better chance of not snapping off when you stab somebody. Sure, it's not as effective as a mac, a flail, or even some polearms but it was still a viable means of attack.

There's a good reason why some people in Europe didn't run around with flimsy swords like rapiers or falchions (I'm looking at you, Marth). They don't have what it takes to take out an armored opponent. They are designed to be simple and borderlining ornate---for **** like duels, fencing, or what have you. People like nobles wielded those things. Most of your knights and militia men had short, durable swords or big, honkin' swords as either their primary weapon or their secondary. Which out of the two sees more combat here? Lol.

I think somebody missed Western History 101 and has been focusing too much on his samurai movies and anime. :laugh: But that's okay, Sonic Wave. We still love you anyway.

And yes, your list has improved Wisey.

Smooth Criminal

Yes, but we already have that style of swordsman represented with Ike, Link, The Black Knight (if he get's in), Whatever Young Link type character gets in, and Gannondorf if he gets his sword.

For the Samurai-ish style we've got Pit?...Metaknight? I still don't qualify Pit's dagger things as actual swords, and Metaknight's blade isn't exactly thin. So far Lyn fit's the description weaponwise, but she's just an assist trophy. It doesn't seem fair to represent one style so much more heavily than the other.

I don't even really like that Smashing through armor type of swordplay. I know it is effective against more protected opponents, but I actually prefer those "flimsy" swords as you call them. Technically they could still stab you in the neck or wherever you can find an opening in the armor. I find swordfights in which neither fighter has any sort of heavy armor to be much more interesting than two armored opponents don't you?

You also seem to forget that this is a game being developed in Japan, by a Japanese company, so doesn't it make sense that their styles are represented? I'm not saying that we can't have an armored swordsman with a huge sword, I just want a nimble and graceful one too.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Sakurai states that the story moves along using small movie cutscenes, but in the cutscene he shows, there are four playable characters present (not to mention the screenshot of Link with Yoshi). This leads me to wonder if the story mode is going to be multiplayer co-op?
Copperpot strikes again! Seriously, I should take over this thread or something.

And yes, I just quoted myself.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Anyone else interested in the new difficulty Sakurai revealed? I also wonder what method Sakurai was talking about that supposedly powers you up in subspace.
Actually all the did was just take out Very Easy and put Intense which in the end is the same thing. Intense could end up being harder than Melee's Very Hard tho.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
All Sakurai did was rename the difficulties. I doubt he'd take off Very Easy.
I like the new symbols that go along with the difficulties.

I wonder if the new stage select screen will be the map Sakurai showed us, or at least have an option to make it like that.

I'm curious to see what kinds of pairings show up through the story. Kirby/Zelda and Link/Yoshi seem like pretty good contrasts to me. If this pattern keeps up, Pikachu/Ike doesn't seem too far-fetched...

Elysium

Smash Lord
Or maybe it goes against what everyone was worried about in the beginning, about how Sakurai wasn't making the game for the die-hard fans. If he did take out very easy and put in a more difficult difficulty, wouldn't that be more for the die-hard fans. I doubt all the n00bs would jump to the intense difficulty (or if they did it would be to show how 1337 they are, and when they get beat down they whine in a scrub-ish fashion). I'm personally all for a harder difficulty, very easy was about as fun as looking into the sun.

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think if they are in characters such as Ridley, King Dedede, Geno, more Zelda and Pokemon characters, etc, are going to be unlockable. But who knows, maybe we'll get 5 character updates on Monday out of nowhere.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
can we consider gannondorf confirmed.... considering the voice actor for gannon is back as part of the crew for voice actors in ssbb

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
I think we'll be getting a rush of character updates, as Sakurai will try to reveal all of the characters before Nintendo Power can spoil them all in their next issue.

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
I think we'll be getting a rush of character updates, as Sakurai will try to reveal all of the characters before Nintendo Power can spoil them all in their next issue.
Nintendo Power is probably just getting a demo version, so it might just have all the starting characters at the most. Most likely NP will only reveal whats been shown on the website, but it would be nice if they did show something new...

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Here's something to think about...

Ferro De Lupe said:
What is Mr. L gets in instead of normal Luigi?

Think about it:

Great way to differenciate between Mario/Luigi even more than they already are.
Represents Paper Mario franchise without it being "another Mario".
Guaranteed unique moveset (just take some of PM's moves from all three games.) [Brobot as a Final Smash!]
Luigi still gets in (and without that stupid vaccum too!)
Ups the villian count.

I'm not saying it will happen (I'm not even saying it's likely), but it is something that I'm sure no one has taken into consideration. And I certainly wouldn't mind...
I posted this over in the "People, there will be more Mario reps!" topic, but I wanted to bring this point up here to see if anyone else thinks this is an interesting idea.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Well if you didn't think Ganondorf was returning then you are either deluded or your in the wrong forum.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather have Mr. L as a Luigi alt costume than a Luigi replacement. (I always found it funny in the game that they couldn't guess who he was)

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
im gonna try another roster(i dont care if it ends up above 40)

Mario Series:
Mario
Peach
Bowser*giga bowser final smash)
Geno/Bowser jr(Probalby Bowser jr becuase of how much sunshine has been refered too in ssbb)
LuigiVacuum/Luigi Mr L
Luigi vacuum makes a slower character though has an original moveset while Mr L however doesnt leave paper mario in the shadows and has potencial to be another villian though suffers to similar mario moves)

Zelda series
Link
Zelda(sheik being removed)
Ganondorf(ganon final smash)
Majoras mask(think about majoras mask was a great game it lead a different story(princess captured ,farm boy save her)its HOLY **** BIG MOON COMING RUN!!!! i have chosen majoras mask instead of skull kid because with the inclusion of pokemon trainer majoras mask can have its 3 forms of fighting.works with stamina and adds anothe villian to the roster.)

Kirby sereis
Kirby
Meta Knight
King DeDeDe(has too be in scored highest in the poll and sakurai created him so hey why not)

F-zero series:
C falcon
Blood Falcon/Black shadow(Blood falocn becuase its a more who would win mario or luigi and black shadow because its another villain)

Pokemon series
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon trainer
Lucario/Weavil(Lucario has had a recent 'boost' in popularity though as walking into game shops weavil appears in lots of advertisement and is my favourite pokemon)
Mewtwo(Being one of the worlds biggest franchises pokemon can have lots of representatives mewtwo is only gonna be good if the is make faster and strogner. and less lag. and he has is another villian)

METROID SERIES:
Samus(zero siut after final smahs)
Ridley(The bomb many poeple say he shouldnt be in well sakurai wants more metroid characters and a simple woman isnt good enough ,dark samus is only resent while rildey has been in since the start ,Lucario may be recent but he is a world wide favourite)

Yoshi serties:
Yoshi

Fox series:
Fox
falco i can see returning as seen on the picture with the rocket launcher can give him a new moveset that could be slow but still fun if mastered)
Krysta(becuase hey another woman)
Wolf(hey another villian)

DK seires:
DK
Diddy K
King k rool(another villian,a slow one too)
We have mabye room for one more but it would be dixie because anothe female)

Earthbound:
Lucas(i cant see ness returning when sakurai said he even surpases ness)

Fire emblem
Ike
Black knight
(that chick wise guy said)(has potential because its another woman and isnt a sword fighter)

Wario
Wario(another representative is possible but when have only seen the other ones in 2d)

Retro
Pit
Ice climbers
G&W
(one more but i cant think of one)

other
olimar
ac player male/female(a good thing would be that having a costume ac mode which allows you to change you ac characters clothes)

3rd
Snake
Mege Man(samus can show him the real arm cannon)
Sonic?(never been fussed)

this is my roster 44 not far form the 40 limited
prefered character for me
bowser jr
weavil
Mr L
Blood Falcon

clone possiblilitys

Mr L(mario-ish)
Blood Falcon(c falcon)
Wolf(fox)
Falco(fox)
Lucas(ness)
(i dont see black night /ike being clones of anyone)

:034:

Smash Hero
I cooked up a moveset for the God of all Pokémon: Arceus. Seriously, this guy should be in the game. He's not random like Lucario or others since there's only one. And we got to play with the most badass one of all time Mewtwo, so I don't see why we couldn't play with the only Pokémon who's stronger than him. The only problem I see with Arceus not making it in is he'll be a Pokéball like Mew or something.

Anyway, moveset: http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3003177&postcount=46

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
im gonna try another roster(i dont care if it ends up above 40)

Mario Series:
Mario
Peach
Bowser*giga bowser final smash)
Geno/Bowser jr(Probalby Bowser jr becuase of how much sunshine has been refered too in ssbb)
LuigiVacuum/Luigi Mr LI'm hoping Luigi will be Luigi, with a Mr. L alt costume
Luigi vacuum makes a slower character though has an original moveset while Mr L however doesnt leave paper mario in the shadows and has potencial to be another villian though suffers to similar mario moves)

Zelda series
Link
Zelda(sheik being removed)
Ganondorf(ganon final smash)
Majoras mask(think about majoras mask was a great game it lead a different story(princess captured ,farm boy save her)its HOLY **** BIG MOON COMING RUN!!!! i have chosen majoras mask instead of skull kid because with the inclusion of pokemon trainer majoras mask can have its 3 forms of fighting.works with stamina and adds anothe villian to the roster.)
What? No Young Link? I loved Majora's mask and all, but...*saddened*

Kirby sereis
Kirby
Meta Knight
King DeDeDe(has too be in scored highest in the poll and sakurai created him so hey why not)

F-zero series:
C falcon
Blood Falcon/Black shadow(Blood falocn becuase its a more who would win mario or luigi and black shadow because its another villain)

Pokemon series
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon trainer
Lucario/Weavil(Lucario has had a recent 'boost' in popularity though as walking into game shops weavil appears in lots of advertisement and is my favourite pokemon)
Mewtwo(Being one of the worlds biggest franchises pokemon can have lots of representatives mewtwo is only gonna be good if the is make faster and strogner. and less lag. and he has is another villian)
A bit iffy on the Weavile, but okay.

METROID SERIES:
Samus(zero siut after final smahs)
Ridley(The bomb many poeple say he shouldnt be in well sakurai wants more metroid characters and a simple woman isnt good enough ,dark samus is only resent while rildey has been in since the start ,Lucario may be recent but he is a world wide favourite)

Yoshi serties:
Yoshi

Fox series:
Fox
falco i can see returning as seen on the picture with the rocket launcher can give him a new moveset that could be slow but still fun if mastered)
Krysta(becuase hey another woman)
Wolf(hey another villian)
I think it should be Falco OR Wolf(personally I choose Falco)

DK seires:
DK
Diddy K
King k rool(another villian,a slow one too)
We have mabye room for one more but it would be dixie because anothe female)

Earthbound:
Lucas(i cant see ness returning when sakurai said he even surpases ness)

Fire emblem
Ike
Black knight
(that chick wise guy said)(has potential because its another woman and isnt a sword fighter)

Wario
Wario(another representative is possible but when have only seen the other ones in 2d)

Retro
Pit
Ice climbers
G&W
(one more but i cant think of one)Balloon Fighter FTW!!!

other
olimar
ac player male/female(a good thing would be that having a costume ac mode which allows you to change you ac characters clothes)

3rd
Snake
Mege Man(samus can show him the real arm cannon)
Sonic?(never been fussed)

this is my roster 44 not far form the 40 limited
prefered character for me
bowser jr
weavil
Mr L
Blood Falcon

clone possiblilitys

Mr L(mario-ish)
Blood Falcon(c falcon)
Wolf(fox)
Falco(fox)
That's why it should be Falco OR Wolf (BTW, Falco seems to have less likelihood of being a clone than Wolf)
Lucas(ness)
(i dont see black night /ike being clones of anyone)
I'm in the Green. Don't take anything personally. If you want to counter attack, here's mine:

Mario Series: (6)
Mario (Confirmed)
Peach (Confirmed)
Bowser (Confirmed)
Luigi (Returning)
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario

DK Series: (3)
Donkey Kong (Confirmed)
Diddy Kong (Confirmed)
DK Jr.

Other Mario Characters: (2)
Yoshi (Confirmed)
Wario (Confirmed)

Zelda Series: (5)
Link (Confirmed)
Zelda (Confirmed) and Sheik
Ganondorf (Returning)
Young Link (Returning)
Midna (True Form- if you think it’s a spoiler, well, so was Zelda/Shiek)

Pokemon Series: (5)
Pikachu (Confirmed)
Pokemon Trainer (Confirmed)
Jigglypuff (Returning)
Mewtwo (Returning)
Lucario

Metroid Series: (2)
Samus and Zamus (Confirmed)
Ridley

Starfox Series: (3)
Fox (Confirmed)
Falco (Returning)
Krystal

Kirby Series: (3)
Kirby (Confirmed)
Metaknight (Confirmed)
King Dedede

Fire Emblem Series: (2)
Ike (Confirmed)
Micahiah

Other Nintendo Series: (4)
Lucas (Confirmed)
Captain Falcon (Returning)
Animal Crosser (accepted name for the AC human)
Captain Olimar

Old-School Characters: (4)
Pit (Confirmed)
Ice Climbers (Confirmed)
Mr. Game & Watch (Returning)
Balloon Fighter

Third-Party Characters: (2)
Snake (Confirmed)
Sonic

Pieman0920

Smash Master
...DK Jr sure is a original suggestion...I don't think he has any chance, but kudos for taking a risk. o_o

No Balloon Fighter though, that's just a generic choice that doesn't have much of a chance. (That with the fact that I'm still blindly wishing LIttle Mac gets in)

Finally, no Midna human form...that's just kinda....no.

Top Bottom