• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
oooh, Wiseguy was right for a change!
:laugh:
Why stay ignorant of the awesomeness that is Super Mario RPG? ...It seems stupid to want to stay ignorant to a game of it's quality...
I have no legal means of playing it. Besides, it's a really old game, and I'm not much of a Retro fan. And Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is one of the best games ever. Even though I've never gotten past that stupid dragon. :(
And ya, Lucario wasn't on Sakurai's poll cuz' he wasn't a stand out Pokémon [yet]. Simply put, he didn't become real popular UNTIL is movie. And until Pokémon D/P were released in Japan in Novemeber.
Actually, it appears the only Pokemon fans who cared enough to submit suggestions were hentai luvrs. I'm told Steven and Gardevoir are legendary in hentai circles, though I'm not brave enough to go on 4chan and witness it myself. :urg:

And ya, Lucario wasn't on Sakurai's poll cuz' he wasn't a stand out Pokémon [yet]. Simply put, he didn't become real popular UNTIL is movie. And until Pokémon D/P were released in Japan in Novemeber.
If you're going to support Lucario, please get your facts right. Lucario was, if I'm not mistaken, the second D/P Pokemon shown after Munchlax. So it garnered a fanbase fairly soon after it graced the pages of CoroCoro for the first time. And then came the movie, which many fans (current fans, not sandman-style) deemed great. Now, Lucario's been on a lot of merchandise. It was indeed a let-down when people found out Lucario wasn't legendary, but the loss of fans from that was negligible.

So, you where lying to make us think he was more popular than what he really is? how pathetic.
Uh, I think he's talking about an unofficial poll somewhere else on the internet. :confused:

This update confirms that Starmen.net is a reliable source of information, for what it's worth.
I think NOA will be annoyed. ;)

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Yay for jumping into the middle of conversations!

oooh, Wiseguy was right for a change!
:laugh:
I hear you there. For a while, anybody could basically disagree with him for any reason what-so-ever and be right on the money. :chuckle:

I have no legal means of playing it. Besides, it's a really old game, and I'm not much of a Retro fan. And Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is one of the best games ever. Even though I've never gotten past that stupid dragon. :(
Though I respect your love for the Paper Mario series, Super Mario RPG ages much better than pretty much any game from that era. Personally, I think it looks better than most PSX games from that time (and if you say that PSX games are also retro, I'm going to shoot myself . . . I'll feel old :urg: ).

Actually, it appears the only Pokemon fans who cared enough to submit suggestions were hentai luvrs. I'm told Steven and Gardevoir are legendary in hentai circles, though I'm not brave enough to go on 4chan and witness it myself. :urg:
Gross . . . just gross, but I commend your resistance to such grotesque things. ;)

If you're going to support Lucario, please get your facts right. Lucario was, if I'm not mistaken, the second D/P Pokemon shown after Munchlax. So it garnered a fanbase fairly soon after it graced the pages of CoroCoro for the first time. And then came the movie, which many fans (current fans, not sandman-style) deemed great. Now, Lucario's been on a lot of merchandise. It was indeed a let-down when people found out Lucario wasn't legendary, but the loss of fans from that was negligible.
Well, I haven't played Pokemon Diamond or Pearl, so I guess I could say that Lucario is to me what Geno is to you.

Uh, I think he's talking about an unofficial poll somewhere else on the internet. :confused:
Yeah, I definately think that people reference the poll much more than is necessary. Sure, he may use it as a benchmark for characters who may appear, but I highly doubt that he sits idley by, reading the polls, and says, "So and so was on the poll 4 times! We have to get him/her in there now!"

This update confirms that Starmen.net is a reliable source of information, for what it's worth.
I think NOA will be annoyed. ;)
Never been there before. I'll have to check it out. :)

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Aw bummer... Good-bye my little baseball bat swinging-yo yo twirling-fire shooting prodogy...

Hopefully, Lucas will play as identical as possible to Ness.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Morning folks. Looks like I was right for a change! Lucas is in. Isn't it strange how both he and Ike were revealed first, before their veteran counterparts? Almost makes one think that they are REPLACEMENTS. Or something.
Yeah, you could think that, I suppose, but you'd be dead wrong. Come on, Wiseguy, you were just right for the first time in too long, don't blow it by being wrong again so soon.

Personally, I don't think the order in which new characters are revealed means anything. Why did it take so long for Metaknight to get his update? No reason. Why did Peach wait two weeks after being revealed to be confirmed? No reason. Why were Metaknight and Snake only confirmed AFTER Ike, Poke Trainer, and Diddy Kong? No reason. Why hasn't Captain Falcon been confirmed yet? No reason. Why was an item and an assist trophy revealed for Earthbound and F-Zero before any playable characters from those series? No reason.
And why were Ike and Lucas revealed before their veteran counterparts? No reason.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Earthbound and F-Zero aren't big enough franchises to justify two represenatives. Lucas is it... Maybe we'll get lucky and have Ness as an alternate costume. That way, he'll still *technically* be playable.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeah, you could think that, I suppose, but you'd be dead wrong. Come on, Wiseguy, you were just right for the first time in too long, don't blow it by being wrong again so soon.

Personally, I don't think the order in which new characters are revealed means anything. Why did it take so long for Metaknight to get his update? No reason. Why did Peach wait two weeks after being revealed to be confirmed? No reason. Why were Metaknight and Snake only confirmed AFTER Ike, Poke Trainer, and Diddy Kong? No reason. Why hasn't Captain Falcon been confirmed yet? No reason. Why was an item and an assist trophy revealed for Earthbound and F-Zero before any playable characters from those series? No reason.
And why were Ike and Lucas revealed before their veteran counterparts? No reason.
quoted for truth. i doubt any of the original twelve will be replaced, and the comment at the end could have hinted to either ness's removal or return, so we can't argue it.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
Hey look, it the 300th- *GASP!* WTF!? LUCAS!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

But have no fear true Ness fans, Earthbound has had a solo rep for two years and Lucas might be a new addition, if I may quote Sakurai:

The youth with the psychic powers has appeared—it’s Lucas! He makes his anticipated debut from the Japan-only release MOTHER 3.

While he is timid in nature, he fights splendidly. Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!
Bolding was mine for emphasis. But look at what he said: Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?! this could mean one of three things:

1. Sakurai is mindgaming us (Likely, he does that a lot)
2. Lucas has surpassed Ness and he's being dramatic (Say it aint so! :()
3. Ness and Lucas will fight each other and the surpassing would be in a fight (Hope it's true!)

Anyway, if 2 is right than this means that Wiseguy has his third ever 100% correct prediction, I feel the victory would be bittersweet.

'Nuff said, and let's hope that we don't have to say goodbye to an old friend.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Why i think Ness is gone? Sakurai clearly sayd ness in the update, so ounless tomorrow's update is Ness, then he's gone. I doubt he would just announce a character like that.

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
Why i think Ness is gone? Sakurai clearly sayd ness in the update, so ounless tomorrow's update is Ness, then he's gone. I doubt he would just announce a character like that.
What if Ness's update is on Wednesday? :laugh:

But something interesting I've noticed. In Melee we had Japanese only Fire Emblem characters (since there was no other kind) and the international Mother hero Ness. As of today in Brawl we have an international FE hero, Ike, and the Japan-only Mother hero Lucas.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea because we all know how Samurai Goroh was planned to replace Captain Falcon in melee and we all know how Sakurai mentioned Samurai Goroh surpassing C.Falcon and so on.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Your point was that "Sakurai clearly said Ness in the update, so if we don't get a Ness update in a few days he's deconfirmed." By that logic Captain Falcon is a goner. :/

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Peach... nuff said
Darn right. Wouldn't be the first time Sakurai defied all logic with his posts.

Anyway, I interpret Sakurai's cryptic comment and Ness' chances thusly:

1)He asks if Lucas can surpass EVEN Ness. The key word there is 'even'. This implies that it's more than just Ness Lucas is trying to surpass, it's the rest of the Brawl fighters as well. Under this assumption, you can expand Sakurai's statement into 'could he (Lucas) surpass the other brawl fighters, even Ness?'

2)Replace the word 'Ness' with any other character name. If Sakurai had said 'can he surpass even Luigi/Ganondorf/Captain Falcon?' we'd all be cheering the near-confirmation of another returning character. We only think this means Ness is out because that's been a point of speculation which has colored our judgment.

3)It seems odd that Sakurai would replace a character and not be honest about it. After all, he was honest about Zamus not being a true stand-alone character, so why wouldn't he just come out and tell us if another character was being replaced?

4)The other interpretation of the 'Lucas surpassing Ness' question is that Ness has been surpassed and replaced by a better character. This is also odd. Remember, the tiers aren't an intentional part of smash. When Melee was made, Sakurai tried to make each character more or less on equal footing. Taking this into account, it seems odd that he would deliberately make a better character instead of trying to make a balanced one.

5)Yes, we all know that Sakurai was hoping to replace Ness with Lucas originaly. However, we also all know that Sakurai wanted Sigurd instead of Marth, and wanted Dedede in the first smash bros. Not everything Sakurai planned on happens, and after becoming a double veteran I doubt Sakurai would still give Ness the boot.

And that's my thinking on the subject. I'm sure not all those arguments are fully fleshed out, but I think enough of them work to make a decent point about Ness and his chances.

Oh, I'd also like to mention that Lucas completely blows all "Sakurai is only going to use international characters and won't touch Japanese-only characters" speculation out of the water.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
Darn right. Wouldn't be the first time Sakurai defied all logic with his posts.

Anyway, I interpret Sakurai's cryptic comment and Ness' chances thusly:

1)He asks if Lucas can surpass EVEN Ness. The key word there is 'even'. This implies that it's more than just Ness Lucas is trying to surpass, it's the rest of the Brawl fighters as well. Under this assumption, you can expand Sakurai's statement into 'could he (Lucas) surpass the other brawl fighters, even Ness?'

2)Replace the word 'Ness' with any other character name. If Sakurai had said 'can he surpass even Luigi/Ganondorf/Captain Falcon?' we'd all be cheering the near-confirmation of another returning character. We only think this means Ness is out because that's been a point of speculation which has colored our judgment.

3)It seems odd that Sakurai would replace a character and not be honest about it. After all, he was honest about Zamus not being a true stand-alone character, so why wouldn't he just come out and tell us if another character was being replaced?

4)The other interpretation of the 'Lucas surpassing Ness' question is that Ness has been surpassed and replaced by a better character. This is also odd. Remember, the tiers aren't an intentional part of smash. When Melee was made, Sakurai tried to make each character more or less on equal footing. Taking this into account, it seems odd that he would deliberately make a better character instead of trying to make a balanced one.

5)Yes, we all know that Sakurai was hoping to replace Ness with Lucas originaly. However, we also all know that Sakurai wanted Sigurd instead of Marth, and wanted Dedede in the first smash bros. Not everything Sakurai planned on happens, and after becoming a double veteran I doubt Sakurai would still give Ness the boot.

And that's my thinking on the subject. I'm sure not all those arguments are fully fleshed out, but I think enough of them work to make a decent point about Ness and his chances.

Oh, I'd also like to mention that Lucas completely blows all "Sakurai is only going to use international characters and won't touch Japanese-only characters" speculation out of the water.
This indeed is one of the most contovertial updates ever to appear on the update since I can remember. I think that if Sakurai was going to replace Ness he would have said so, but he didn't, leaving it cryptic. I think that this was his way of keeping us on the edges of our seats (And it's working!).

Personally, I'd hate to see Ness go, he was a part of Smash and he (unlike some people *cough*Doctor Mario*cough**cough*Pichu*cough*) didn't deserve to be replaced or cut. Ness will live on!!!

'Nuff said.

samusrules93 said:
Peach... nuff said
Rock on, another 'Nuff saider. Welcome to the club my brother.

:ness: will live!!

goodkid

Smash Lord
My prediction list: Hoping for 40+ characters. I don't really see anything less than that, I'm overwhelmed by the choices considering so many choices and great moveset potentials.

Mario Series (6)
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Luigi
?-Bowser Jr.

Wario Series (1)
Wario

DK (2)
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong

Starfox (3)
Fox
Falco
Krystal

Pokemon (5)
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer-counting as one character even though it 3 in 1
Lucario-Brawl is new, and their updating to give new characters, like TP Link and Zelda

Fire Emblem (3)
Ike
Black Night
some other character-

Zelda Series (4)
Link
Zelda/Sheik-counting as one character
Ganon
Midna-by herself, no Wolf Link

Kirby Series (3)
Kirby
Meta Knight
King DeDe

Metroid Series (3)
Samus/Zero Suit
Ridley
Sylux

F-Zero (2)
Captain Falcon
Jody Summer

Earthbound/Mother 3 (3)
Lucas
Ness
?- Poo or Claus

Animal Crossing (1)
AC Human

Pikmin Series (1)
Olimar

Custom Robo Series (1)
Ray 01

Retro Characters (5)
Pit
Ice Climbers
Balloon Fighter
G&W
?

Third Party (3)
Snake
Sonic
?-Nights, Megaman, Simon Belmont

Total-46, hoping for 40-50, a good amount for this game, even with so many, I think they can balance it out.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice

Lucas: Hey, Look! Someone wrote "gullible" on the ceiling!
Kirby: Poyo?
Lucas: *SMASH*

I was thinking Ness would come back, but Lucas just looks so much more awesome with his Elvis hair and lack of a backpack that it's undeniable: : Lucas ROCKS!

I'm thinking maybe there's a "look" command that you can use as a sort of taunt, because of these poses and the ones with Fox and Pikachu looking at K.K. Slider.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
I was thinking Ness would come back, but Lucas just looks so much more awesome with his Elvis hair and lack of a backpack that it's undeniable: : Lucas ROCKS!
I can't have my Punkster Kirby without the backwards baseball hat! Punkster Kirby is one of my favorite outfits!! (Along with Demon Kirby, Space Commando Kirby, Captain Kirby, and Koopa Kirby.)

Shuma

Smash Hero
Yeah, but i meant besides Sakurai whanthing to replace ness since Melee.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Wow that video was... well lets just say Sakurai went over board with his PWNsauce.

But if Snakes gets his own introduction...

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
I like the little descriptions Snake gets for each character...

Can't wait to hear Bowser's.

I think Snake just revealed Wario's Neutral B attack. That "garlic bite" he was talking about in the video.

ness screw him lucas looks better and has no yoyo yay!!!!
Hey! The yoyo was a fun attack. But it paled compared to the baseball bat.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
True.. that ups Marth's chances a bit.

Top Bottom