• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing with snake

napZzz

Smash Hero
I've been looking at ways to practice by myself lately but I'm not really sure....do any of you other snakes have certain things you do to practice? All I really do at this point is just practice my nade tricks/item control n ****

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I just try to get familiar with stages, that I think I could use work on. And nade tricks like you mentioned already. I was talking about seeing how low you can go on the stage with c4 recoveries and stuff, and which platforms you can fsmash on, and which nair you can do to hit people on platforms.

As stupid as this will sound. Just mess around with the CPU. I mean not heavily, but just a tad. Make the focus around something you are having problems with. For myself, I never really added the drop -> 2nd jump -> airdodge method to my list of ledge options. So, after playing around with the CPU for awhile to try to simulate a few mock battles, I sort of got the reaction to use it every so often instead of completely forgetting about it. Just little things like that.

After a point, I am not sure if there is really anything you can do on our own except to keep practicing the basics.

Edit: And to save myself a text, I'll let you know sometime next week. Sort of not sure what's going on. Just been a bit hecktic lately.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I talked to san and he said learning stage control is important, and i'm not really sure what he meant by that since plays ike...I should probably try to just move around a stage and attack fluidly without feeling clunky

against cpu's I guess whenever you get hit you should stop and look back at that situation and see why it happened and what you did wrong and try to remember thats something you cant do...

i'm sure theres other things tho I just wanna know

yea lemme know dog

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I watch vids of pro snakes and find innovative ways to use explosives and nades and try to copy that when I practice.

I think we should all get a paper mario theme going here.

I watch vids of pro snakes and find innovative ways to use explosives and nades and try to copy that when I practice.
Were a majority of them Ally's?

But, it really is surprising what you can learn from watching others. I found a useful one for melee in the form of using Marth's bair property. It turns him around to face forward. Dash -> jump -> bair -> instant edgehog.

Sync.

Smash Champion
In practice mode I practice my C4 recovery and stage techs.

With the CPU I practice grenade setups and grenade stripping. Since CPUs have really good timing with their PS I practice breaking my habit of not throwing out f-tilt2 if f-tilt1 gets powershielded.

For tech chase I play my incredibly noobie friend and attempt to tech chase him 0-death. (He mixes it up a lot so it helps me with my reads.)

Paper Mario is THE best game ever. It's all about that Mexican Goomba.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I practice my B-Reversals and just try to work on my reaction time and Powershielding. I play around to get accustomed to stages (been helping my game a lot lately) also.Its all basic stuff but they're necessary.

Limeee

Smash Champion
i play duelist by myself

or i practice nade camping on training mode, just try new grenade patterns and become more comfortable then you already are with grenades

:009:

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
As stupid as this will sound. Just mess around with the CPU. I mean not heavily, but just a tad. Make the focus around something you are having problems with. For myself, I never really added the drop -> 2nd jump -> airdodge method to my list of ledge options. So, after playing around with the CPU for awhile to try to simulate a few mock battles, I sort of got the reaction to use it every so often instead of completely forgetting about it. Just little things like that.

After a point, I am not sure if there is really anything you can do on our own except to keep practicing the basics.

Edit: And to save myself a text, I'll let you know sometime next week. Sort of not sure what's going on. Just been a bit hecktic lately.
Xeylode is right bout this I do it from to time. The only problem is it may leave u with bad habits.

Oh.

I practice the techs which I haven't mastered. I'm kinda messy with the B-reversal and like everyone else, I try mastering my grenades and finding other good utilization of Snake's attacks

ZTD | TECHnology

i play duelist by myself

or i practice nade camping on training mode, just try new grenade patterns and become more comfortable then you already are with grenades

How much has duelist helped you? I was told by a friend it would be very beneficial to me but I havent gotten the time yet to sit down and try it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
obviously it's a good way to practice teching, personally I just do it solo in training mode, easy to set yourself up at high % with smart bombs

obviously it's a good way to practice teching, personally I just do it solo in training mode, easy to set yourself up at high % with smart bombs
Let me tell you a little trick that will save you plenty of time in my opinion. Use the handicap setting on vs mode. You can set your HP to be at like 200 each time you respawn or something like that. Plug in an extra 3 controllers, select all snakes, set each one to a different percentage (ie. 100%, 150%, 200%, 250%), and now you can freely switch between percentage scenarios on a single map easily enough. Set the time to infinite, and you are given infinite lifes.

Happy teching.

Now, hopefully, I have stayed up enough that I can go to bed. Going from 4pm to 2 am is not a long enough wait to fall back asleep T__T

etecoon

Smash Hero
I actually did that the other day, dunno why I didn't remember

also, the wifi waiting room is LEGIT

Phillyfanboy

Smash Apprentice
I practice my B-Reversals and just try to work on my reaction time and Powershielding. I play around to get accustomed to stages (been helping my game a lot lately) also.Its all basic stuff but they're necessary.

What are B-reversal wit Snake?

I mostly look for ways to improve or create 50-50 mixups, nade work, and ledge work.

ZTD | TECHnology

Check out the Snake guide. Underload also has a bunch of videos posted for techniques that every Snake should know. B-Reversals are key for mixing up your recovery.

AfroQT

Smash Master
The only trick i have for any snake mains is to kill your opponent before they kill you.

Thats the trick to winning, killing them.

gallax

Smash Hero
Dont forget to plant proximity mines and run away so your opponents will run into them. You shouldnt be fighitn as snake. If ur opponent is dumb enough then you can filt him. And u should kill him first, but play with their minds. throw a nade every now and then to show that u may be scared.

Limeee

Smash Champion
Dont forget to plant proximity mines and run away so your opponents will run into them. You shouldnt be fighitn as snake. If ur opponent is dumb enough then you can filt him. And u should kill him first, but play with their minds. throw a nade every now and then to show that u may be scared.
/offtopic

don't throw grenades every now and then, have them as a constant threat on the stage. grenades are the best tool snake has

ErikG

Smash Ace
Is there a legit way to train DI with CPUs or something?
play a 99 stock slowmo match with a level 9 CPU. Once you get the hang of DI and SDI in slowmo, you can try it in regular speed. You obviously don't have to play out all 99 stocks.

TheBarcode

Smash Rookie
Learn to Dacus/sliding mortar in training in slower speed kinda hard to get the hang of but you get it eventually just watch some tutorial and it's great for getting around, stage control and it's fun to do

Ftilt is god

Calzorz

Smash Lord
i vs lvl 9 metas works for me but some people say playing cpus doesnt work for them

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
I've only played like 3 matches against a CPU all my brawl life, and it was to practice mk humps on snake, I don't remember what level snake was but he cyphered, I never hit him out of it and he got to cypher again

*confuzzled*

ZTD | TECHnology

Nah I just like to mess with fellow MI people.

And yesterday I got Grab Released to Up Smash by a Sheik CPU when I was playing as Wario. She just waited until I air released and then tippered me.

I was scared.

666 post XD

I play CPU for the lulz.

They have sexy skills.

Oh, I practice with Snake by hitting myself with a strong object/attack and training my SDI, DI and momentum canceling. I'm still having a hard time doing Nikita B-reversal

Top Bottom