• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee since you're around, mind if I ask you something? I'm comfortable with my technical execution which pretty much allows me to always beat my friends, but my mental game is terrible and I almost always autopilot. Just wondering, when you were new to Smash and the mental game in general, what things did you think about during games in order to exploit opponents? I'm just looking for some basic starting ground here and I'm curious as to what your experience was,

Smog

Smash Journeyman
I'm practicing my dair-to-shine, and keep getting shield grabbed. Should I be dairing later, and shining earlier after I L-cancel? Or can grab beat dair to shine usually. I'm practicing on 20xx with the frame perfect shield grab, does that always beat dair to shine?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm practicing my dair-to-shine, and keep getting shield grabbed. Should I be dairing later, and shining earlier after I L-cancel? Or can grab beat dair to shine usually. I'm practicing on 20xx with the frame perfect shield grab, does that always beat dair to shine?
You can certainly to do a dair-shine on shield in a way that makes it impossible for an opponent to shield grab you. If you are getting shield grabbed, it is because the opponent has a wide enough gap between the aerial shield stun and your shine to fit a grab (most char's have a 7-frame grab). To shorten this gap, you need to minimize the number of frames between these 2 events:
1. Hitting the opponent's shield with the dair (or other aerial); this is when shield stun takes effect
2. Shine

Common ways to decrease the time between #1 and #2:

- Do the aerial lower to the ground
If you start the aerial after the peak of your jump, you will not be able to fastfall. Alternatively, you can start the aerial as soon as you like and simply make sure you don't connect with their shield until you are close to hitting the ground (usually done by drifting towards an opponent and reaching them near the end of your jump arc, but it can also happen if they are dodging, intangible, etc).

- Fastfall to the ground
Usually the ideal timing to initiate the fastfall is between the startup of the aerial and when it hits. Obviously that is a very tight timing, but a necessary one. Get to practicing on this!

- Shine as soon as L-cancel landing lag ends
This one is simple and is not usually a major cause of aerials being shield grabbed, but it's possible. Just make sure you aren't standing in front of the opponent during actionable frames.

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
@ Bones0 Bones0 This is really interesting, I've developed my whole game around initiating the fast fall after connecting the aerial. Can you be explicit with the sequence of actions?

I'm picturing jump->initiate fast fall->aerial? where there is optimally only 1 frame between starting the aerial and fast falling. What about other timings, jump->instant aerial-> fast fall at apex? I'd test this myself by I'm at work atm (lol) so am just asking.

My method has been jump->aerial (hitting)->initiate fast fall after hitlag ends.

Bones0

Smash Legend
@ Bones0 Bones0 This is really interesting, I've developed my whole game around initiating the fast fall after connecting the aerial. Can you be explicit with the sequence of actions?

I'm picturing jump->initiate fast fall->aerial? where there is optimally only 1 frame between starting the aerial and fast falling. What about other timings, jump->instant aerial-> fast fall at apex? I'd test this myself by I'm at work atm (lol) so am just asking.

My method has been jump->aerial (hitting)->initiate fast fall after hitlag ends.
There isn't just 1 frame before Falco's aerials hit. Nair is the quickest and it hits on 4, meaning you have 3 frames to input the FF. I'm not sure if you can FF after hitlag and ever be safe, but Kadano lists the specific frames on this page:

http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-discussion-thread.256826/page-536

So it seems you can actually hit before FFing and still get away with it, but your execution must be really on point (Falco shines on the frame before Sheik's grab hits). Here's the gif: http://gfycat.com/ShoddyGentleAardwolf

It's worth keeping in mind that since that barely beats grab, you will definitely have to FF before hitlag to beat faster OoS options like shines, Sheik's nair, and up-Bs.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I always forget if it does anything or not, but either way I don't care much for it. Lasers don't stun long anyway so I'd rather take that time to move usually.
Crouching cuts the hitstun and hitlag by 1/3, but you can't ASDI down land cancel them. I think the total stun ( hitlag + hitstun) is 12 frames non crouched, and 7 frames on crouch.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Crouching cuts the hitstun and hitlag by 1/3, but you can't ASDI down land cancel them. I think the total stun ( hitlag + hitstun) is 12 frames non crouched, and 7 frames on crouch.
Is jumping into a laser and ASDIing down to land cancel it a legitimate option?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
You can certainly to do a dair-shine on shield in a way that makes it impossible for an opponent to shield grab you. If you are getting shield grabbed, it is because the opponent has a wide enough gap between the aerial shield stun and your shine to fit a grab (most char's have a 7-frame grab). To shorten this gap, you need to minimize the number of frames between these 2 events:
1. Hitting the opponent's shield with the dair (or other aerial); this is when shield stun takes effect
2. Shine

Common ways to decrease the time between #1 and #2:

- Do the aerial lower to the ground
If you start the aerial after the peak of your jump, you will not be able to fastfall. Alternatively, you can start the aerial as soon as you like and simply make sure you don't connect with their shield until you are close to hitting the ground (usually done by drifting towards an opponent and reaching them near the end of your jump arc, but it can also happen if they are dodging, intangible, etc).

- Fastfall to the ground
Usually the ideal timing to initiate the fastfall is between the startup of the aerial and when it hits. Obviously that is a very tight timing, but a necessary one. Get to practicing on this!

- Shine as soon as L-cancel landing lag ends
This one is simple and is not usually a major cause of aerials being shield grabbed, but it's possible. Just make sure you aren't standing in front of the opponent during actionable frames.
It feels like I can only manage to do it when I hit the top of the shield, not the side or anything. Is there a reason for this? It seems like if I hit the top of the shield that would be bad.

anshin

Smash Rookie
I've already compiled all the useful posts in this thread HERE.
this link isn't working

and for new falcos asking for tips im a new falco too and you just gotta do a bunch of research man there's a ton of info out there on smashboards on what to learn. stop bothering dr. pp lol

IdkLmao

Banned via Warnings
I'm still/will be available if you want to answer that mewtwo question dr pp.
Hey @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee since you're around, mind if I ask you something? I'm comfortable with my technical execution which pretty much allows me to always beat my friends, but my mental game is terrible and I almost always autopilot. Just wondering, when you were new to Smash and the mental game in general, what things did you think about during games in order to exploit opponents? I'm just looking for some basic starting ground here and I'm curious as to what your experience was,
I can hep you out jackson. Grain of salt as always.

So mental game. This thread has links in the first post on some ideas involving mentality. Make sure to read those if you have not already.

When it comes to reading help on the boards, how well are you and other posters here making sure the advice sticks and is actually scheduled to be trained into your gameplay until you can do it? " I've fallen for that trap before and I think its pretty common. I'm going to say this again because I think its really important. I think the only way this or any advice can be of any help to you or anyone is if you make absolutely sure to take time to fully understand it and make additional time to make sure it gets put into your training.
Otherwise it will be read, put into your short term memory and not used at all. Aka rendered useless. Even if you managed to get the advice into your long term memory, if you are not making plans to get comfortable using that advice when you play it does no good. So be careful of that. When looking to improve you don't want smashboards to become a pointless time sink of lazy thread browsing that does almost nothing to help you get better.

I don't know how valid this is, but there is concept i've been introduced to called a shallow learning style. This is not an indication of stupidity or anything but is just a bad habit learned that people can accidentally pick up for their learning strategy. If you find things you read not really sticking well or feel un motivated for taking time to level up your understanding of the game due to a frustrating learning style, then check out this video on learning with deep processing/learning technique. Its a youtube video series by a college professor trying to level up a students learning strategy from highschool so their learning is much faster. Blew my mind and helped me a ton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH95h36NChI&list=PL85708E6EA236E3DB&index=2

If you guys aren't checking it out already, twitch has melee channels with saved vids of past interviews on top players.

http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/v/5594028 This is some helpful advice on getting better by dr pee pee. Make sure when you watch this to write down any advice you want to learn and put into practice later.
http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/b/471089168- Heres a vid from mango on getting better

I'll stop for now since this post is getting enormous as it is

Snorlaxes

Smash Cadet
Is there any tips to very very basic Falcos that are trying to learn the char?
@ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee
That's too broad of a question to give you a definitive answer on.

Nonetheless, there are some common flawed ways of thinking that I observe in many new Falcos. These are sort of stereotypes and are just from my own experience, but nonetheless, I think that truly understanding the shortcomings in these mindsets will help you out:

• Spamming tech skill won't win you games beyond low levels of play.
  • Full hop > Dair is not an approach that you should rely on.
  • Hitting a laser doesn't always mean it's safe to go in.
  • Work at improving your DI / punishment escape / recovery, don't tunnel-vision on big combos.

Bones0

Smash Legend
this link isn't working

and for new falcos asking for tips im a new falco too and you just gotta do a bunch of research man there's a ton of info out there on smashboards on what to learn. stop bothering dr. pp lol
It was (mostly) a joke. I just searched the thread for posts by PP. lol

Jackson

Smash Lord
I'm still/will be available if you want to answer that mewtwo question dr pp.

I can hep you out jackson. Grain of salt as always.

So mental game. This thread has links in the first post on some ideas involving mentality. Make sure to read those if you have not already.

When it comes to reading help on the boards, how well are you and other posters here making sure the advice sticks and is actually scheduled to be trained into your gameplay until you can do it? " I've fallen for that trap before and I think its pretty common. I'm going to say this again because I think its really important. I think the only way this or any advice can be of any help to you or anyone is if you make absolutely sure to take time to fully understand it and make additional time to make sure it gets put into your training.
Otherwise it will be read, put into your short term memory and not used at all. Aka rendered useless. Even if you managed to get the advice into your long term memory, if you are not making plans to get comfortable using that advice when you play it does no good. So be careful of that. When looking to improve you don't want smashboards to become a pointless time sink of lazy thread browsing that does almost nothing to help you get better.

I don't know how valid this is, but there is concept i've been introduced to called a shallow learning style. This is not an indication of stupidity or anything but is just a bad habit learned that people can accidentally pick up for their learning strategy. If you find things you read not really sticking well or feel un motivated for taking time to level up your understanding of the game due to a frustrating learning style, then check out this video on learning with deep processing/learning technique. Its a youtube video series by a college professor trying to level up a students learning strategy from highschool so their learning is much faster. Blew my mind and helped me a ton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH95h36NChI&list=PL85708E6EA236E3DB&index=2

If you guys aren't checking it out already, twitch has melee channels with saved vids of past interviews on top players.

http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/v/5594028 This is some helpful advice on getting better by dr pee pee. Make sure when you watch this to write down any advice you want to learn and put into practice later.
http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/b/471089168- Heres a vid from mango on getting better

I'll stop for now since this post is getting enormous as it is
Very good post, thank you. I think you're right that I take in information and don't really use it.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
so a crazy mixup I thought of is shine->SH laser fading backwards on shield. it feels like an improvement on the standard shine wave dash back. this isn't really new but the trick is the spacing. people use lasers during shield pressure as mixups occasionally (rarely). for whatever reason people typically shine then JC into a SH laser in place whenever you do see lasers during shield pressure or shoot a turnaround laser.

this can't be shield grabbed and can't easily be punished with a read + OOS options like a nair or stomp. the fade removes shield grab and the laser removes the vast majority of hasty offensive OOS responses.

covers roll towards you.

the laser puts a laser on the person if they roll backwards (so they will either get hit, shield, or spot dodge, pretty good options for you)
same for WD back.

without superb spacing though a frame perfect sheik nair OOS will hit you even if you're frame perfect but 20XX sheik's nair OOS makes a ton of things harder than they are in practice. understand that frame perfect nair OOS on a lot of character beats falco pressure in the right spots in general though, as shield pressure is reliant on mixups and conditioning, so this is nothing new here and through observation no one is doing that anyways

this is nutty. please use. no one does this. I've literally never seen this exact thing, someone feel free to show me people doing this.

Last edited:

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
When you say it covers those options, you mean it hits someone when they do those options. The question is, what does it accomplish? You get 2%, and lock them down a little bit. In contrast, before you can execute this situation you've already locked them down to the point where they are in shield.

If a falco ever wanted to lose his good position for 2%, I'll take that trade every time.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Cover meaning you don't lose control of the situation, which can mean more or less. You are hardly forfeiting your good position though.

In response to that I ask why do falco players use pressure/hit into wavedash back?

Additionally, why do players like PP opt to hit shields less than other Falcos?

Why does mango wait and bait OOS options? It's not just about hitting their shield repeatedly.

Shield pressure is a paradox and is getting worse as time goes on, especially Falco's. When you think about it shield pressure is getting obsessed with this world/idea of hitting your opponents shield when you really should be focused on getting pure hits and reducing your risk. Crazy tech skill lets you get away with a lot but shield pressure is essentially a paradox and a bubble that is bursting as we progress. At least it is going to require very, very precise tech skill (like westballz-esque) to keep effective in the traditional sense.

Last edited:

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
The goal of wd back out of shield pressure is to move out of the way so that if your opponent commits to something (grab, nair, or Usmash oos) you can just punish it. Interrupting their lag with a laser is a weaker way to accomplish this goal.

Unless you're terrible at this game, you shouldn't think shield pressure is always good, or all about just using tech skill to get free openings. There is good shield pressure and bad shield pressure, and even good pressure always has a weakness.

Crazy shield pressure never was considered optimal, you're only just now realizing the weaknesses it has. I'd bet 'crazy westballz-espue pressure' will only become less of a thing over time, and small strings of safer shield pressure will probably become more dominant.

Also, a good alternative to wd back or fade back laser is early fade back nair or dair. It gives you more if it works, it will actually hit them if they try to attack you before your attack (laser/aerial) comes out. People have been using this forever, and it is decently safe.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I think you're misunderstanding me. And being condescending lol, did you read what I said lol?

Notice three things: I introduced this as a mixup, it's relatively passive, and I said in my last post that this is good because you don't forgo your advantageous positioning/situation. Which is me saying that that's typically the goal because you should not expect to get a pure hit whenever you hit someone's shield in the vast majority of good player & and good character situations. What you want to do is abuse your good moves or even plain abuse the fact that you're more actionable than they are to stay on top of the situation. Not hope for a death combo/shield break.

So why are you lecturing me on pushing buttons when I never said you should?

The goal of wd back out of shield pressure is to move out of the way so that if your opponent commits to something (grab, nair, or Usmash oos) you can just punish it. Interrupting their lag with a laser is a weaker way to accomplish this goal.
This is a valid point and yes that is all true and well established. But this why the meta matters. 99% forms of shield pressure (passive or multi shining w/e) are contingent on mixups. You probably already know that just about no string is entirely safe (or even applies real pressure) if your opponent knows exactly what you're going to do.

If you think about in game situations and how often WD back is used you will probably see that the person being "pressured" isn't immediately and constantly going for shield grabs and offensive options OOS lol. This is probably the case if you watch any decent level match. So to be honest it just looks like you kind of undercut the scope of what I was saying.

90% of the time at higher levels unless your opponent is in a corner they aren't going to try to shield grab a falco nair->shine (followed up by standard ways of making it safe).

So this is like, why I'm talking about adding a safe mixup to a common situation that proposes different challenges and timings for your opponent, yah? Especially because a ton of standard Falco pressure is rhythm based or built on common queues.

Which is why doing things like empty hops and cross ups can be effective (they take certain queues away from your opponent) although they are strictly speaking not safe. But blah blah you know that.

Unless you're terrible at this game, you shouldn't think shield pressure is always good, or all about just using tech skill to get free openings. There is good shield pressure and bad shield pressure, and even good pressure always has a weakness.
Right that's what I said lol. I literally said (traditional) shield pressure is getting worse and worse and it is requiring more and more tech skill if you want to pressure like 2012 falco and still be effective.

Crazy shield pressure never was considered optimal, you're only just now realizing the weaknesses it has. I'd bet 'crazy westballz-espue pressure' will only become less of a thing over time, and small strings of safer shield pressure will probably become more dominant.
Right yes. No I didn't just realize this lol. It's one of the first things I said. I also said the next two points.
  1. common/conventional shield pressure is not sustainable
  2. that's what I was trying to get across in layman's terms with the PP and mango comment
PP makes great use of empty hops--a lack of a button push lol--and short safe strings and mango is well known to be great at baiting OOS options, and usually punishing them.

One thing that makes them so effective though is how insanely good their movement is, especially PP. PP doing a nair shine WD back has a different context than Purpletuce doing the same thing. Probably because PP won multiple positional battles before going in, flustered his opponent slightly, tried their patience, used a different approach the last time he went in, and substantiated his pressure by being able to combo extremely well.

Since you know, "pressure" is about scaring and confusing people.

Those types of things make their mixups, reads, and basic fundamentals more effective. So yeah that's a thing too.
I get that, which is why I am trying to add on to the idea.
Also, a good alternative to wd back or fade back laser is early fade back nair or dair. It gives you more if it works, it will actually hit them if they try to attack you before your attack (laser/aerial) comes out. People have been using this forever, and it is decently safe.
Yes that is a great, well documented, alternative and a standard part of the meta. If you actually play a falco match vs. someone who is confident with their shield and comfortable in standard & very common falco situations then you're not going to get much off of your shield pressure if you're only doing aerial WD back and 2 aerial fade away. Anyone good isn't taking that bait constantly lol. Do you know/think that?

This is like me saying "hey guys use more empty hops" and you saying "fade away nair is safe". Yes that's great and everyone knows that. What value did that add and at what point did I say that you should only use this? It's a ~mixup~ like every single falco pressure string is.

Maybe calling the shine->fade->laser an "improvement" was too harsh of a word for you but I say that in the same way that using shorten is an improvement on your side B. It's a meta thing because if you shorten 100% of the time it's bad and useless. It adds from the base option/idea. It doesn't invalidate it lol.

All this is is introducing a new set of problems where most of them work out in your favor. You juggling safe options that cover common responses exclusively or inclusively (/w different timings) = hard for your opponent to deal with.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
so a crazy mixup I thought of is shine->SH laser fading backwards on shield. it feels like an improvement on the standard shine wave dash back. this isn't really new but the trick is the spacing. people use lasers during shield pressure as mixups occasionally (rarely). for whatever reason people typically shine then JC into a SH laser in place whenever you do see lasers during shield pressure or shoot a turnaround laser.

this can't be shield grabbed and can't easily be punished with a read + OOS options like a nair or stomp. the fade removes shield grab and the laser removes the vast majority of hasty offensive OOS responses.

covers roll towards you.

the laser puts a laser on the person if they roll backwards (so they will either get hit, shield, or spot dodge, pretty good options for you)
same for WD back.

without superb spacing though a frame perfect sheik nair OOS will hit you even if you're frame perfect but 20XX sheik's nair OOS makes a ton of things harder than they are in practice. understand that frame perfect nair OOS on a lot of character beats falco pressure in the right spots in general though, as shield pressure is reliant on mixups and conditioning, so this is nothing new here and through observation no one is doing that anyways

this is nutty. please use. no one does this. I've literally never seen this exact thing, someone feel free to show me people doing this.
What is the benefit to doing a fadeaway laser instead of a fadeaway aerial? Aerials deal more shield stun, come out sooner, stay out longer, do more damage on hit, and have the potential for followups.

Also, there's tons of OoS options that will beat this (Falcon's nair/uair, Marth's fair, Sheik fair, pretty much everyone's bair if you're behind them, etc).

Last edited:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
What is the benefit to doing a fadeaway laser instead of a fadeaway aerial? Aerials deal more shield stun, come out sooner, stay out longer, do more damage on hit, and have the potential for followups.
well really, this question is asking "why don't you shine grab (or do anything else really)" and the answer is because they're all good and different and that's a lot of repeating myself.

it's like asking why PP did this
https://youtu.be/a3EvVrX7jls?t=36s

another question is what do you do when you already have been making thorough use of fadeaway aerial? and this has multiple answers

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
well really, this question is asking "why don't you shine grab (or do anything else really)" and the answer is because they're all good and different and that's a lot of repeating myself.

it's like asking why PP did this
https://youtu.be/a3EvVrX7jls?t=36s

another question is what do you do when you already have been making thorough use of fadeaway aerial? and this has multiple answers
I'd bet good money PP did that because he flubbed. The question is, why do you need more variations of the same coverage choices. The idea is you mix up between different coverage choices, i.e. cover roll with doubleshine, cover held shield with shine->grab, cover offense oos with fade away aerial, hell you can nair shield then wait 1 beat before shining to trigger an "I can punish this reaction" in the target.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
wait. I just remembered this is what happens whenever westballz's style of double shine comes up and why it's bad and why it doesn't "work" and why X and Y and Z I also remembered this game is played in a vacuum by script files

/conversation

[collapse="things that no longer matter"]
to clarify, westballz double shine isn't the best pressure in the world, in fact it's plain bad on paper, but obviously there are ways to make it extremely effective (as we see, constantly)....you can argue in circles about 1 million things until you play the game and how you are conditioned and mixed up comes into play

yall are arguing about crazy falco stuff and I'm over here like "what is falcos best throw"
u throw most the time :), f throw sets up positioning/possible edge guards, b throw can be a DI mix up but I'm not the one to ask about that and I believe d throw has some merit vs fox at low % (don't remember the details) and can be useful at high percents where you may try to go for a tech read punish.

I'd bet good money PP did that because he flubbed. The question is, why do you need more variations of the same coverage choices. The idea is you mix up between different coverage choices, i.e. cover roll with doubleshine, cover held shield with shine->grab, cover offense oos with fade away aerial, hell you can nair shield then wait 1 beat before shining to trigger an "I can punish this reaction" in the target.
doesn't look like a flub. if you think about the buttons that'd be pretty hard to do on accident (if you were purely holding away and pressed B you'd phantasm) and I've seen things like that numerous times
[/collapse]

Last edited:

orvs

Smash Cadet
@ BTmoney BTmoney yoo I definitely see the utility of shine-->fade away laser. it IS amazing. i've actually been trying to implement it into my play for a while XD. it is certainly less scary to do against certain characters than some others, but in general it covers so much for its risk-reward ratio. when successfully executed, you are guaranteed a punish while remaining safe. essentially they are being punished for being defensive, and the amount reward you obtain depends on how they try to be defensive (rolling/wavedashing inwards vs rolling/wavedashing away vs staying in shield). with this scenario created, you can condition them/scope out habits.

i would actually say that in certain matchups, this mixup could be a staple depending on the type of falco player they are. and yes.. as everyone knows, the requirement for this mixup to work is that the opponent needs to be realllly afraid of falco's pressure to the point that they don't want to counterattack/instantly jump OOS.

oh and i agree with the ppmd thing vs mango at sktar. i'll never know for sure but i also didn't think the shine-->reverse laser was an accident. to me it seemed as though he anticipated mango being over in that direction and he covered it accordingly. and in case the shine connected, well, that's a free followup for falco.

Last edited:

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
The difference between what is on paper and what actually works is huge, but if you're looking to figure out what is best to do, I definitely wouldn't aim for sub-optimal options.

I'd be willing to bet that the reason you see PP do that option in a singular clip was probably because it was on the fly. People do sub-optimal things all the time on purpose to keep their opponents on their toes, that doesn't mean that the option is optimal.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
What is the benefit to doing a fadeaway laser instead of a fadeaway aerial
The laser hits quite a late compared to anything else. So I think the idea here would be that the fadeway laser lets you hit your opponent when you're already far from him, letting you to regain pressure after the inevitable hole that follows after shining shield. Though you do sacrifice the protecting hitbox when fading and you get very little reward for a hit, so I don't think it's worth it at all either.

Aerials deal more shield stun
You forget that the laser is a projectile, so the hitlag is also your advantage. If your laser is completely unstaled, it actually does 7 frames of combined stun which is equal to nair/dair shield stun. In common situations the laser probably does 1 frame less combined stun than the aerial, but the laser has several frames less landing lag. Though the small difference doesn't really matter if you fade away from your opponent.

Last edited:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
The difference between what is on paper and what actually works is huge, but if you're looking to figure out what is best to do, I definitely wouldn't aim for sub-optimal options.
Who suggested that lol? You know what's sub optimal? Doing the same thing(s) repeatedly and doing what is expected. This is really like saying implementing empty hops is "suboptimal". Not only does that not make sense, if that's as far as you're willing to look at the idea then we can't have any conversation.

Because whether or not me or you like it or understand it or agree with it philosophically they work lol.
People use that word so incorrectly. Suboptimal is hitting your opponent with a nair at 130% when a bair would have killed. Suboptimal is picking the recovery option that is being covered. Suboptimal is strictly worse. You guys are trying to compare apples to oranges.

Not only that no one is talking about doing what the "best" option is since the first thing I said was to introduce this as a mixup lol. Jeez. Tell me what some of the best options are.

I'd be willing to bet that the reason you see PP do that option in a singular clip was probably because it was on the fly. People do sub-optimal things all the time on purpose to keep their opponents on their toes, that doesn't mean that the option is optimal.
Wait so it's bad if it works? Please actually list some optimal ideas.

It puts a timing mixup on what they are allowed to do or when they should act and automatically puts a laser on roll away, it's only slightly less safe, and things I already said. Just put yourself in the realm where you already been doing fadeaway aerial and your opponent is comfortable with letting you do that (so the majority of shield pressure situations vs anyone good OOS).

All you have to do for this to work is establish that they shouldn't spam aerial OOS. Just like how westballz establishes that people shouldn't spam shield grab vs him even though yes, we all know he is literally vulnerable to it.

The important part is that it can't be shield grabbed. In super theory bros every sheik is nair'ing OOS with maximum appropriate drift at any 8 frame window but that never actually happens. In super theory bros 90% of pressure vs. Fox should never work becasuse how fast his shine OOS is.

You can also spot dodge punish shine grab so that has to be a bad idea too.

But this is all like explaining on a fundamental level what a mixup is and how to use them and I'm not really interested in doing that, especially because everyone already knows that and knows that shield pressure especially is already a big mixup game.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Doing the same option over and over again is obviously bad. Although some options are suboptimal because they don't being anything new to the table. In general it covers less options, and doesn't cover them as well, as some of your other tools on shield, while not covering any option that couldn't be otherwise covered. Even as a mixup, I don't think it is very good. Feel free to disagree.

Also, after looking around I just realized you're Blacktician. I liked your old tag more. . .

jalued

Smash Lord
Can anyone give me some tips, advice, critique, etc. please? Lately I've been getting bopped pretty hard. I've been feeling like the way I play Falco relies on the other guy making mistakes and I don't know how to play "smart" as a Falco.

http://www.twitch.tv/sdmeleetv/b/667311456 (starts from 19:35)
http://www.twitch.tv/sdmeleetv/b/667317743 (ends at 1:30)
Your playstyle has a lot of similarities with my own: you seem to throw out dairs a lot when approaching and do not mix up your approaches as much as you could. A lot of the issues (from my experience) stem from a lack of patience and, at least in this game, a lack of faith in the laser. At the beginning of the series doc caped back your lasers which made you stop using them completely rather than mixing up your timings (using dash dances, empty SH etc) and I feel that this gave him the stage presence that he desired. If you see the opponent doing such strategies, then empty shorthops/wavelands can be a great way to move in on the opponent and baiting out their commonly used defenses.

I feel that you would benefit from changing the timings and selection of your aerial approaches, because it looked like the dair combos are more auto-pilot that fully thought out. It all really boils down to concentration and your awareness of the opponent: Are they shielding? Do they tend to roll away when you approach? Do they stay in shield or try to attack out of it? Do they not respect your shine and try grabbing? All of these have many available counters such as neutral game mixups (and baits), multishines for OOS options and rolls, shine grabs, delaying dair/nairs OS and shield crossups, which comes from time and practice and awareness.

Your (few seconds) against the fox player also echoed a similar issue to myself in the matchup, where you are not 100% aware of where the fox is and what his options are. Lasers are great in the matchup, but should be used carefully to make sure that you gain frame advantage from them: too many times you were lasering as a habit when he was not in front of you and getting subsequently punished.

The more I play the fox/falco MU, the more i realize that a strong punish game is vital for falco to keep up with fox's simpler upthrow punishes. Extra practice combing foxes on platforms will do you wonders, especially shine-wavelands. As i've said before, concentrating on the opponent is vital to make sure that you can convert combos and it seemed that your concentration lapsed as soon as you attacked the fox. I wonder if this is a result of AI practicing whereby the combo's can simple be attributed to muscle memory, but against higher level players you need to be watching them at all times so that you have as much time as possible to react to DI. Watching players also helps to follow their DI patterns, so sometimes you will just have an instinct where they will go, improving the reliability of your punish game.

The neutral game is difficult for falco without careful lasering because the fox is hungry for a grab and can easily rush down the slower falco (think marth but faster) with poor spacing. Retreating lasers are great and empty SH's can put the fox into defensive mode to give you more breathing space. Shine OOS is vital against foxes because it forces them to respect you and prevents them from keeping on the pressure.

Lastly: stay in the centre of the stage at all times if possible. Unless on a combo string or edgeguarding, make sure to not overextend at the edge as it often means a quick shinespike (I am very guilty of this crime)

Hope this helps

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
@ BTmoney BTmoney I'm interested in why you think PP would jump away with laser and shoot it the wrong way after he'd already connected the shine?

I actually like the idea that getting the laser out covers the roll away but if you have a read on roll away why wouldn't you cover with a dair immediately? I'm not convinced that even if the laser connects on roll away that you can land anything before they get their shield up?

OninO

Smash Journeyman
@ L L33thal In addition jalued's critiques which I think are good. You should abuse the hell out of crouch cancel where ever possible. At early percents, Fox's nair is NOT safe on crouch cancel and his dair is not safe on shield. Use short movements into shield if you have a read on aerial attacks. The short movement just before her attacks will mess up his spacing and make him hit earlier than he wants to, then you can shine out of shield.

IdkLmao

Banned via Warnings
Can any other falco player here give their thoughts on falco vs mewtwo? The more high level falcos that can pitch in the faster we can start figuring out mewtwo vs falco.

*11:00 p.m Edit- No replies still? Never mind. I'm just going to make a thread for this matchup instead. I thought this might be a good place to ask but if its too off topic or something I understand.

Last edited:

MadeYouLook

Smash Cadet
shine instant dair/bair is easier in the air right? would you say its more useful in the air? what situations should I be looking to use it?

OninO

Smash Journeyman
shine instant dair/bair is easier in the air right? would you say its more useful in the air? what situations should I be looking to use it?
Shine->(Truly) Instant Dair/Bair is only possible in the air as there is no jumpsquat. I've been experimenting with shine->shine->instant Dair to combo floaties, not sure how legitimate it is yet, it's highly dependent on platforms.

MadeYouLook

Smash Cadet
Shine->(Truly) Instant Dair/Bair is only possible in the air as there is no jumpsquat. I've been experimenting with shine->shine->instant Dair to combo floaties, not sure how legitimate it is yet, it's highly dependent on platforms.
does the ground one get used much? its really hard for me to consistantly do it

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I just thought of something. You know how you can't really D-throw into waveshine because they'll just tech the throw to the side and get too far away? Well what if you did it near the edge of the stage? If they tech'd towards the ledge, then you could waveshine them, right after the throw right? If this became a common combo, then we could start predicting that they won't go towards the ledge out of a down throw, making it easier to predict what they'll do.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
does the ground one get used much? its really hard for me to consistantly do it
The only time I've really noticed it being used was shine OoS (no guarantee it was grounded) into bair. Works great on **** DI. The grounded one you can probably answer yourself, what charas can you combo with a fullhop out of shine? For fast fallers you almost always want to waveshine, for floaties I'm not sure, best thing is to see who it links on, I'm guess maybe the semi-floaties like shiek might work well.

Top Bottom