• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Orko

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellow Falcos!
I've been literally sitting in my room practicing immediate aerials out of shines for the past week.
Is there something I'm missing? I've been telling myself just to move faster, but I'm like 30% sure I might be wrong.

Can you help me out before I develop ****ty habits~

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Finally got to see PP vs. Hbox from Tipped Off 9. Hands down some of THE BEST Falco gameplay to ever grace a Melee setup. First he bopped Armada, now he's got Hbox on lock like the good ol' days. I hope this same PP comes out to Apex vs. Mango and Mew2King.

Do you have any comments about how you came into this tournament mentally, PP? Clearly you have something going on.

I hope a better one comes out lol

I think I could have done a lot better, but given my practicing and biological circumstances at the time, I think I did play really well!

And yes I did have a big mentality breakthrough before this tournament =) I wrote about it some earlier in response to Battlecow I believe, but my main objectives for playing this game are fun(love of the game/enjoying playing well) and learning. It sounds cliche but it really does keep you from falling into bad mental traps. I'll explain more about it after Apex(assuming I do decently so people will read it lol.)

As far as the matchup goes, I did nothing different. I've known the matchup and how it is the whole time, but I pick up on some different things such as a habit or tidbit here and there.

S.D

Smash Master
Quick question - does anyone know if Marth is guaranteed a grab after shine on shield with perfect timing if you attempt to pressure with immediate SHFFL nair/dair? I'm having to resort to shine grab/multishine exclusively because of this. Am I just slow or is this a legit thing?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I was messing in Debug Menu with Falco, and you'll be able to see that you can JC out of shine on I think the 3rd frame it was and then if you do jump out on that very frame you won't see the reflector's hitbox (which is huge and cyan colored) ever come up since it comes the next or so frame. So practicing with this you can see that you JC'd shine ASAP if you DIDN'T see the reflector box. I found that it's incredibly hard to get the JC early, I was only able to get it even close to remotely by using a claw thumb and middle for b and jump like some people do to multi-shine eventhough I multishine just fine using my thumb wiggle between B and Y yet I wasn't getting it with that even though I was super quick. It's not a big deal, but every single shine most people perform is probably JC'd 2 or 3 frames later than it can be while Claw players probably are on point. I'll pry make a video

Also I haven't checked this thread for a year, and I plan to scour for all of PP's posts on MUs because I remember reading him saying he uses SH Fair to keep Fox at bay or something and to this day I'm still wondering how that can be. Also need to find any big posts about him talking about the Marth match up
Shine lasts for 3 frames (first frame is a hitbox, second two are cooldown). You can JC on the 4th frame, and you can look at it frame by frame which is explained in the hitbox thread.

Quick question - does anyone know if Marth is guaranteed a grab after shine on shield with perfect timing if you attempt to pressure with immediate SHFFL nair/dair? I'm having to resort to shine grab/multishine exclusively because of this. Am I just slow or is this a legit thing?
You have to aerial almost perfectly after your shine if you want to avoid those shield grabs, but the exact timing will vary based on how stale your shine is. As a general rule, I try to always double shine, shine grab, or shine instant fadeaway aerial on the front of people's shields. I only go for another late aerial if they got pushed back too much to grab my jump or if I am confident in my conditioning that they won't go for a grab because of the first 3 options.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
I went my second tournament on Saturday, Mayhem in Socal, and although I didn't actually beat any of the people in my pool, I played better than I expected and did well against good players such as Connor and Tafokints. But a couple things that I realized was that I tended to stay in my shield A LOT and this was further proven in the spacies and Falcon matchup, where I literally got wrecked. So any suggestions on how to not stay in shield and counteract offensive dash-dancing (other than lasering)?

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
i know pp and others were talking about playing close and using tons of mixups
can someone literally give me the different approaches/ laser pattern mixups you can use to help change your aggresion

i dont know how to vary my ****

rpotts

Smash Lord
Hey fellow Falcos!
I've been literally sitting in my room practicing immediate aerials out of shines for the past week.
Is there something I'm missing? I've been telling myself just to move faster, but I'm like 30% sure I might be wrong.

Can you help me out before I develop ****ty habits~
Use up on the stick to jump out of shine then c stick for aerials. So like down on the stick -> B -> very short delay -> up on stick -> c stick immediately afterwards.

It's easiest if you do it out of the air as double jump out of aerial shine is faster than jumping out from the ground.

I'm guessing you're trying to shinebair or shinedair super fast like Westballz or something?

Orko

Smash Apprentice
Use up on the stick to jump out of shine then c stick for aerials. So like down on the stick -> B -> very short delay -> up on stick -> c stick immediately afterwards.

It's easiest if you do it out of the air as double jump out of aerial shine is faster than jumping out from the ground.

I'm guessing you're trying to shinebair or shinedair super fast like Westballz or something?

Lol more like Shiz.

But that's what I figured. I guess i'm just not jumping fast enough. Thanks so much for the validation!

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Anyone have some solid approaching mixups?
It seems I mostly space with lasers and then go in with a nair. I occasionally go in with a laser to grab. I rarely go in with a dair since my opponents shield di and I get grabbed. Every time I try something else I seems to get hit, especially by a marth.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Another thing to consider is that if you shine the top part of their character, you have more leeway to jump and hit them with an aerial.
This is a great point, forgot to mention it. To practice this you can head to FD against a level 1 Bowser, or plug in a second controller so the cpu doesn't randomly jab you and slowly walk away as you're practicing, lol. You'll want to jump over him, drop down and try and just barely clip his head with your shine and then hit up on the stick quickly. At 0% you'll easily be able to follow with any aerial. As you practice more and more the timing will get worked into your muscle memory and you'll be able to do it on other, smaller characters and at higher damages. Once you're comfortable you can switch to practicing on Fox, Falco, Sheik, or whatever char you want. After enough practice you'll be able to do it on a Peach on super sudden death mode no problem.
It seems I mostly space with lasers and then go in with a nair. I occasionally go in with a laser to grab. I rarely go in with a dair since my opponents shield di and I get grabbed. Every time I try something else I seems to get hit, especially by a marth.
Well, there are a ridiculous amount of good mixups you can use. It really depends on what your opponent's tendencies are. For all the following I'm going to assume you're about half the length of FD away from them and will always be approaching with two SHLs + something.

- If they play passively and mostly exploit your bad, predictable approaches by shielding and then shield grabbing or other OoS options then you'll want to punish that habit.

For example, if you always approach with SHL SHL Nair then they'll just sit in shield and wait for their opportunity to shield grab or shine OoS or whatever. If you know they're going to sit in shield you can just approach with SHL SHL grab or shinegrab. Or if you're super pro you can do SHL SHL and then shine -> fade back an aerial on their shield so that when they shieldgrab you'll be out of range and can dtilt or fsmash or whatever. This is a common mixup used in shine aerial shield pressure against players who tend to shield grab after a dair or nair high on their shield. Just note that against Marth it's much harder since he has that ridiculous grab range.

- If they play spacey and avoid your lasers by jumping around, dash dancing and running away you'll want to punish accordingly.

For example, if they always avoid your first two lasers by jumping and then DD grabbing your missed approach you'll need to attack where they're going to be rather than where they are right now. You can do this using more lasers than you'd normally use, or you can fade back and laser more rather than approaching and try to approach later once you've locked them down in laser pressure. Another easy punish is to attack where you think they'll DD rather than where they are right now. You can run extra far before your aerial approach and dair or whatever behind where you'd previously approach. Of course you can also just do the regular nair approach you were doing before but hold L after your L cancel and the c-stick down to buffer a spot dodge to avoid their predictable DD grab. You'll have a few frames to shine their missed grab if you did it right.

Other non-situationally-specific mixups include -

Crossup bair -> shine pressure limits their OoS options

Running past shielding opponents trying to bait a jump OoS -> fsmash or bair or something

Empty hop -> punish their shield grab

Just grab lol.

There are tons of other options, watch videos of players like Mango, Shiz, Westballz, Dr PeePee and whoever else you can and try and figure out why their approaches work and when they don't, why.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you have a sense of need to approach. What is stopping you from sitting in place and lasering? I'm by no means suggesting that as a tactic, but SHL in place can be a good mixup in neutral instead of always lasering into DD or approach. Understanding what limits certain choices will help you narrow your field of mixups. For instance, I think RSHL vs. chars that do not plan on approaching has become super uncommon because it gains nothing even when the laser hits and gives up stage control.

What sort of position is your opponent in when your approaches fail? Was he under a plat? Did he have 50%+ of the stage length? Was he on the ground or in the air? What does he do when you laser? What do you do when he responds to lasers? What does he do when you dash away/towards? What do you do when he responds to your dashes?

From the limited amount of stuff you said, the only concrete advice I can offer is to try mixing in dash into shield and also focus a lot on pushing your opponent to the edge strictly with movement. In an ideal stock, you don't even have to touch the opponent to get them pinned at the ledge. Lasers and threatening DDing alone is enough to push people to the ledge, and once they are there, Falco's approach is no longer hindered by his slow speed and he can abuse his great shield pressure and punish game (once you finally get the hit out of the pressure). If the opponent refuses to move backwards towards the ledge, that means they are doing one of 3 things. They might be holding their ground (at risk of being laser-grabbed or SHFFLed), approaching (Falco has a lot of different defensive options depending on the matchup; shine OoS, AC bair zoning, FH above opponent, and more come to mind), or going onto platforms (dealing with opponents on platforms EFFICIENTLY is something I am still working on, but obvious stuff like SH uairs from below are always great; overall, I don't mind people going onto plats).

This is only my approach to Falco's neutral game, so maybe other players have a different one (pun very much intended btw).

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
^^ both good posts
i find learning these mixups hard since im used to having 1 or 2 ways of approaching someone effectively cuz they dont know how to deal with lasers yet/ skill level / falco is hard lol

when i go to play someone who can beat my few predictable methods of raw approaching, the game gets ugly as they keep me out with stuffing my arials and powershield grabs
ill work on playing with more lucidity and finding why some approaches work on a certain character and why some dont :)

KP17

Banned via Administration
mixing up approaches:

know the spacing for each matchup where the opponent cannot punish your approach purely on reaction
at these spacings, mix up wd forward dash forward and short hop and react. observe. if your opponent is constantly hitting you out of approaches, evaluate your spacing and your movement patterns. I think this is the basis of mixing up offensive and defensive play, which is key to opening up the opponent to be approached (i.e., gaining advantage over your opponent in the neutral game)

Orko

Smash Apprentice
Aw man just played in a tourney. My punish game is terrible.

Any suggestions on working on punishing?

hmm... i guess that's most of the game.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll just have to play more falco to understand some of his strongest approaches. I definitely do watch a lot of Mango/Dr.peepee, but what they do is very hard to emulate. I don't watch Shiz at all because when he approaches all the time and gets bopped by anyone good or a floaty.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Aw man just played in a tourney. My punish game is terrible.

Any suggestions on working on punishing?

hmm... i guess that's most of the game.
Any specific scenarios you have in mind? What sort of things do you struggle to punish? Are there any videos of said tournament?

I don't watch Shiz at all because when he approaches all the time and gets bopped by anyone good or a floaty.
You take that back.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
Yup. I'd say that's getting bopped. But Shiz is making a lot of easily identifiable mistakes in that match. I'm sure there are a lot of merits that can be observed in his other matches that would make him worthwhile to watch. This match is just a good example of when not to try and use a rushdown approach.

Any specific scenarios you have in mind? What sort of things do you struggle to punish?
I'm not the person who initially asked for help, but what is the best way to punish full-hop nair approaches from a fox? I've had some success with pivot bairs, but that doesn't lead into anything else. When I try to meet him in the air with a shine to start a combo, I often just lose to the nair. Can I shield it and shine OoS before he can shine me?
EDIT: Forgot to mention the fox is full hopping over a laser. Maybe just CC shine? I never CC enough.

Last edited:

52pickup

Smash Cadet
What are Falco's options after he grabs? Like what can he follow up with after a grab?

Let's say, options for... Marth, Fox/Falco, Doc

Varist

Smash Lord
What are Falco's options after he grabs? Like what can he follow up with after a grab?

Let's say, options for... Marth, Fox/Falco, Doc
Falco can chaingrab Fox with backthrow into backthrow if the Fox isn't expecting it and reacts kind of slow

He can combo an uthrow into Nair, Bair or Fair depending on DI (works for Marth, Fox and Falco, not sure about anyone else). Fthrow can force a tech and if they miss it free running SH dair. Down throw combos into shine if they don't tech but it won't work on good players because of dthrow's long animation. If you can dthrow techchase with lasers as a bandaid you could try that but I just use grabs as a mix up to make people question sitting in shield.

Is there a way to pillar Marth starting at 0% up to x% without the chance of an escape? It seems really escapable because I keep getting swatted but if it's possible it would be worth it for me to practice timing

Bones0

Smash Legend
Is there a way to pillar Marth starting at 0% up to x% without the chance of an escape? It seems really escapable because I keep getting swatted but if it's possible it would be worth it for me to practice timing
Yes. Watch PP vs. M2K Zenith GF, set 2, game 5

Varist

Smash Lord
Oh, it looks like he was milking the shine hitstun for as much as it was worth by waiting for M2K to start falling a little bit before he applied the Dair hitstun. I've been shining and rising immediately out of it to hit them with the startup frames of the dair at the apex of their shine trajectory and I guess I was wasting hitstun when I was doing that. I didn't realize you had time to just start wavedashing out of the shine and following Marth, I thought I just had to jump right out of it the same way you pillar Fox or I wouldn't catch him in time.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Oh, it looks like he was milking the shine hitstun for as much as it was worth by waiting for M2K to start falling a little bit before he applied the Dair hitstun. I've been shining and rising immediately out of it to hit them with the startup frames of the dair at the apex of their shine trajectory and I guess I was wasting hitstun when I was doing that. I didn't realize you had time to just start wavedashing out of the shine and following Marth, I thought I just had to jump right out of it the same way you pillar Fox or I wouldn't catch him in time.
I know Training Mode is frustrating because of no C-stick, but if you can get past that it's good for testing combos.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
Is it viable to approach marth/shiek with fair at mid percent? If you can get both hits, it does about 15% and pops them up as just the right follow-up height. What are the trade-offs versus nair?

Varist

Smash Lord
It's riskier than approaching with Nair for the simple reason that a hitbox isn't covering your ass 100% of the time. You can do it, and it can work, and if you've trained yourself to follow it up better than Nair then that's just your new thing. But I would rather stick with Nair and Dair and practice follow ups off of those because they're safer. Fair is a cool move but it's like a version of nair that is only better if you use it super super well.

I would say it's not worth investing in learning about fair until way way later. It's one of those "weeks of practice for 1% improvement" kind of things. There are probably things that are "days of practice for 10% improvement" still left out there for you to soak up.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's easily CCed and shield grabbed. If they are airborne, it's great for comboing (probably better than nair in more situations that people want to give it credit for). I try to soft nair when I can though since it deals more damage and still has similar KB. I use fair when I don't have time to wait until the end of nair. Fair is also great for dealing a lot of damage on low % airborne opponents, particularly out of uthrow.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
Another perk I just found in friendlies is that when they try to wavedash backwards to make you whiff so they can grab you, fair reaches a bit further than nair.

But yea, you guys are probably right. I'm not so sure about it being all that more prone to shield grabs, though. Nair hits their shield a lot earlier unless you do it super late. Fair only has 4 extra frames of landing lag compared to nair. I'd say it probably hits about 5-10 frames closer to the ground than your average nair approach. I wonder how much less shield stun it has. That would be the deciding factor. Chances are it has less shield stun and I'm just a blubbering fool, though.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Another perk I just found in friendlies is that when they try to wavedash backwards to make you whiff so they can grab you, fair reaches a bit further than nair.

But yea, you guys are probably right. I'm not so sure about it being all that more prone to shield grabs, though. Nair hits their shield a lot earlier unless you do it super late. Fair only has 4 extra frames of landing lag compared to nair. I'd say it probably hits about 5-10 frames closer to the ground than your average nair approach. I wonder how much less shield stun it has. That would be the deciding factor. Chances are it has less shield stun and I'm just a blubbering fool, though.
Fair has 11 frames of landing lag if you L-cancel; nair has 7. 4 frames would mean it's equivalent to an autocancel. lol

Also, you should just nair late if they are shielding. If they WD back, you should usually laser.

Hitting them earlier with fair doesn't even matter because after the first hit they'll be CC shielding and the second hit probably won't even connect.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Also: 4 frames difference is a lot in shield pressure. Even if you perfectly execute a fair they can still roll away every time before your shine connects, while nair > shine even has a little leeway to catch their roll

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Congrats PP. Still my favorite player.

I think your progression over time has been the most impressive mostly because you beat all of the people you couldn't get past over the years.

You were one of the few people to ever beat Armada during his prime (pound), you were among the few people to get a handle on M2k, you got past Hbox, then I can see how bad you wanted to beat Mango. I think you want all this more than anyone else (maybe m2k lol) and I bet it's nice to see all that working and time spent thinking pay off esp with a convincing win over Mango.

Last edited:

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Congrats PP! Amazing play, knew you could do it. Whenever you have time and recollect your thoughts, can you give us a full recap of the entire tournament, both physically and mentally. How did you prepare for Apex?

Top Bottom