• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You can backflip on reaction, you can slight wait sometimes just after lasering to see if they want to jump to avoid another laser. But yeah you have the right idea.

Ober

Smash Rookie
You can backflip on reaction, you can slight wait sometimes just after lasering to see if they want to jump to avoid another laser. But yeah you have the right idea.
Wait I legit only backflip preemptively. You react to the jump forward to backflip?

LowQualityJpeg

Smash Rookie
Do you have any advice on not tilting whilst playing?

I notice when I lose I come up with bs excuses that I know aren't true to justify why I lost certain situations, without addressing any of the problems at hand. I know this is wrong, but when I'm in the action of playing I don't want to spend the mental energy to correct negative thought patterns.

After the games are said and done and I'm looking over them in analysis, I think over how dumb my excuses were and how much better I would've been able to play if I didn't complain like I knew I should, but didn't have the cognition in the moment to care about it.

This also leads into a vicious cycle where I don't play because I don't want to feel bad and tilt, but I also can't improve because of it. So I spend a lot of time analyzing or studying matchups or practicing tech, without actually putting anything I've learned into practice because I don't want to feel bad about myself when I inevitably lose. I've noticed this pattern over several competitive games I've played, and its a horrible feeling that makes me feel like I haven't improved or changed as a person in years.

I feel like I have the building blocks to coming up with the solution, from meditation/mindfulness, to laughing it off, to deep breathing inbetween stocks, but I've never managed to put these things into practice over an extended period of time because I'm afraid of the pain that would come with making these into habits.

Guidance from someone that's knowledgeable about mentality such as yourself would be helpful. I would also like to hear about your personal experiences dealing with mentality/losing or any things that you do personally to help.

Thanks in advance ^_^

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
So I think you have a lot of the right ideas. For me, what helped was practicing making peace with these things and getting to the root of it and also practicing my counters to my own thoughts so that it became automatic when I played Melee.

So let's suppose I am hard on myself and rude to myself when I get hit. I may think about why this is and make some meaningful conclusions. I may also imagine myself thinking exactly what I think there: "wow that's so dumb how can I make this same mistake again??" Now I respond with "it's okay to make mistakes, and you're going to get hit sometimes. Respect your opponent, and respect yourself enough to allow for difficulties so you can grow and learn." You can shorten it to "it's okay to get hit, I'm alright." Eventually you may find new internal resistance when addressing this. That is a good sign and it means you are directly challenging these forces. You will find you automatically adjust your thinking with enough time and practice, just like Melee.

Does this make sense?

Ober

Smash Rookie
Hi again PPMD,
a lot of falcos play off the platforms the same way and idk how to beat it

like if theyre on side they mixup short hop off dair / laser and if theyre on top plat they mix up run off dair / drop through the middle of top plat laser

and i have no idea how to beat it. vs fox i can just get out of the threat range but vs falco they get a laser on me in corner

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Assuming you also play Falco, you would beat those side platform options by Bair'ing correctly(or by shine oos'ing if they could dair in such a way to hit your head). For the top platform, you can intercept them with FH Bair sometimes. If the top platform is high, you can react and dodge and laser or hit. If the top platform is low then you can go up and threaten more easily.

You can also just get on a side platform to attack more easily and also dodge lasers from top platform if you want something to always do.

The platform positions are complicated so I'd need more info to help more.

ssbmjager

Smash Rookie
Question about what makes an idea "good" or "bad" in Smash:

As I'm sure you all do, I often watch tournament sets to get ideas for certain situations. Earlier today I analyzed two sets of Mango's Falco vs Fox (iBDW) from Summit 10 and LACS3. My goal was to see what mango did in situations when he had Fox in the corner and was holding center stage. It was a little frustrating because there were many instances (especially in the Summit 10 set) where Mango made decisions I didn't agree with/understand at all. I often thought "that was really risky," he could've just covered roll or locked fox down with laser and force him to go vertical. But he didnt. He'd laser dash back aerial DEEP into the corner right on top of fox's shield, or just raw fsmash, or just GAH WHY did that same decision work for him but not for me? AND to top it all off, he still won the game(s) and ultimately the set.

I think I came away thinking that it's difficult to gauge whether an idea is "good" based off of tournament results alone, or the result of a single game, or solely based off that single moment where it worked. And yet there's still the tension of "well, it technically worked so.... yeah." Tournament style melee is obviously very popular and the way the majority of people choose to play the game and determine who is better/worse at the game. And ultimately it's the style of melee I'll be forced to play as well should I choose to go far with this game. So I'm trying to give it some degree of merit. But I'm just a little confused.

My first question is do you guys agree with this sentiment? Somewhat? Not at all? Hopefully you can at least relate to it.

By the way, I use the word "good" in quotation marks because I'm not even quite sure what it would mean if I were to call Mangos non-textbook corner plays "bad" -- they didnt get him punished in many of the interactions I saw and sometimes he was even rewarded for them. It made me think... Well, screw it, guess I should just YOLO into the corner too. It was a little frustrating because I would imagine others watching this set would say "Yeah, that was a terrible decision IMO" and yet they'd also admit mango is a better player than them. And then I thought of a tweet from Squid where he says "My goal is always to have very strict rules for how I should play melee and then play using exclusively exceptions to those rules." But then I'm almost positive that Squid would barf if I showed him a clip of me doing this aerial into the corner (not literally he'd use an emoji). I also considered that maybe its all coming full circle now because for high level players the scrubby option becomes a good option again because its unexpected? But that doesn't seem right? Right?..... I've also been told that "mango is adding nuance to these decisions that you're probably missing," which I admit is totally possible. But right now.... I'm just not seeing it lol.

So my second question is, ultimately, how the heck am I supposed to gauge whether a decision is, in theory, "good" or "bad" when in actual use thats not always the case.

By the way, if anyone has thoughts on FALCO/fox corner play I'm down to discuss that as well and I would be willing to grab some GIF examples of matches too. Hope this makes sense. Lmk what ya'll think 🤔
Peace

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You have a good question in here. How DOES one know if an option is good or not?

In the end, we need not know every nuance of every situation for every player. Knowing what is right for you and what you are prepared for is good, and then building upon that is great. It's hard to learn from Mango because he is often playing on his opponents' habits, or just doing what he knows is good based on things he's done before. But there are more straightforward Falcos to learn from, and Mango himself does some basic good things, especially in his edgeguards.

To me, I thought being GOOD at Falco meant playing like Shiz, but it didn't work for me. I had to take what made sense and discard the rest. In your case, I similarly urge you to follow what feels right.

If you want me to go a little further into philosophy of it, then GOOD is a foundation of stuff that works, but then GOOD applies situationally and player vs player just as much as any hard and fast rule. This would be more true the better you get, so it's perfectly fine, and perhaps easier, to focus on what is just a good foundation right now.

AnonymousID

Smash Cadet
Hey pp, what should I do vs take laser nair at low percents vs fox? Usually my go to is just do a dair but that doesn't do anything to aerial opponents at low percents. Right now I'm leaning towards just dash back and grabbing or crouching but want to know what your thoughts are.

Also when you land near fox to tech, I feel like he can just cover tech in place with sh uair/utilt and then just react to the rolls with grab. Is this true? and in that case do I just accept what happens and try to DI/smash DI.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If Fox does take laser Nair, you could just Nair him out of the air and this will lead to a combo.

Yeah Fox can cover everything because he is so fast, but sometimes it's impossible if he is too far away or a bit off balance. DI/SDI is always very helpful when you know they can get you.

DickNixon

Smash Rookie
Hi pp!

What is the difference between dash forward wd back vs dash forward dash back when trying to change the timing of an aerial? It feels like doing the dashes is more flexible and better most of the time, though it is easier to fall into a predictable rhythm with dash dancing.

Do you have advice on covering roll in when dash dancing at a close range? I'm usually too slow to get a dair out.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
WD back locks you into a specific timing and also shifts your space farther backward(usually). So I'd say your analysis is reasonable.

WD shine works, and pivot Fsmash can also hit rolls. You can also Bair if their percent is high. Setting up to space an aerial on them also helps hit them as they roll into you. You can also learn when rolls are more common and play that position and timing with maybe a little more waiting or looking for it so you can chase it down.

AnonymousID

Smash Cadet
Hey pp, do you think it's worth practicing/playing melee when you're tired? Usually I play near the end of the day since I got school/other stuff to do and I feel like I have a hard time focusing on the game compared to like the morning and I'm not sure if I'm actually improving from night practice. If not do you have any suggestions on being focused at night or does your brain just naturally get used up throughout the day.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't think it's best to play when tired if you're trying to improve. It will just build bad habits and have you question your abilities.

If you're gonna do it, you can use it as training for your B or C game.

AnonymousID

Smash Cadet
I don't think it's best to play when tired if you're trying to improve. It will just build bad habits and have you question your abilities.

If you're gonna do it, you can use it as training for your B or C game.
how about practicing tech skill since I think that uses less mental effort?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It can create state-dependent memory where it may only be more effective if you're tired, or may even make you feel more tired when you play. Also, your practice is likely to be less effective or possibly even detrimental when tired. If it's not too bad maybe you can improve. You'd need to test and see.

_Jem_

Smash Rookie
hi falcos, does anyone have advice for building a gameplan for the fox matchup? I struggle to simplify the matchup or even use 'set plays' and instead I get overwhelmed by all the take-laser/laser counterplay options he has. Any help or thoughts would be sick, thanks (:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'll respond to the take laser and laser counterplay part.

If he is doing take laser turnaround Utilt, this loses with you being close enough to shine, Fsmash, or Dair'ing him first. Fsmash can also just win. You can wait and punish too. If he does take laser JC Usmash, you can also immediate Dair and win, or Ftilt if you need something quick, or just dash back vs both then punish or pressure.

If Fox is FH'ing into you, then DJ'ing over it and Dair'ing him is strong. AC Bair and Utilt can beat what he does and retreating laser is always safe. CC shine can help too.

Frenzy231199

Smash Cadet
Hey Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , it's been a while, hope you're doing well? I've been struggling a bit with the concept of "closing the gap" as it were, when my opponent is far away from me in neutral.

Now previously I would've just done some variation of approaching laser and sort of played whatever happened after, but I see now that that's a pretty risky way to play it, and also denies myself of letting the opponent come to me. I was wondering if you had any starting points, or maybe even some sets where you felt like you played these ranges quite well.

I feel like the style I struggle vs most is when opponents throw out lots of safe walling moves at the edge of my attack range with say Dash SH Aerial or Full Approaching Laser. Now I understand that there is sort of a triangle in traditional fighters between throwing out pokes, whiff punishing, and taking space, but I feel like in melee this seems sort of skewed in terms of risk reward? So it would make sense to me that I should be trying to DD or manouvre in some way so that I can either set up a good position. The problem to me is I just feel so vulnerable when I'm doing those things, and it feels like even when I do successfully set up a good position, the reward I get after isn't much better a lot of the time, than if I'd have just yolo'd in at a specific timing with an Approaching Laser. An example would be Sheik walling with SH F-Airs at the edge of my Dash SH Aerial range. I feel like yes I could Dash Dance and move forwards to get close to her, so that I could potentially N-Air her out of her next jump, but I feel like if she does anything other than that (say Boost Grab, Dash Back, Dash Attack), it leaves me in a weird spot without a laser out that I'm not sure is even advantageous? One thing that Druggedfox has brought up to me is that I'm not very good at reacting to stuff in Neutral, so a lot of the time I am just hedging my bets on a read, and if they don't immediately work out, then I'm usually in trouble so I guess that plays into this also.

Now of course I guess I could also just shoot a laser from outside of their range, and it will never be a bad situation for me really, but I feel like in doing that, I'm limiting myself in that I can't punish laggier options as well as I could if I didn't Laser, and also people might have habits that I could capitalize on, but I'm too busy lasering to notice. Maybe it's just because I am new to playing like this from afar, so it isn't proving too effective to me at the moment but they were just some thoughts I'd like to discuss. Cheers

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Very good considerations brought up here!

Your point of not reacting seems to be the best place to start. I find this is most commonly because people aren't aware of the positions they're in. So this can lead people to looking for one specific option to solve it, such as your Sheik Fair. But yes, what if Sheik doesn't jump again? Well, Sheik players often don't typically DA when you get close. Why? Because the lag on whiff is quite steep and it's often safer to just wall out. So some of it may be due to lack of knowledge of the other side.

Or maybe you just DD in one place without lasering too often and this does slow you down and let someone just hit you or move around you for free. It is best to not sit in this closer position, or at least not sit idly there. Falco should usually be moving.

Anyway, maybe it's better to ask if you are observing when you get into these closer positions. What are you looking for? What would you be looking for as the opponent?

AnonymousID

Smash Cadet
Hi, I think you talked about how you play marth because he takes less energy to play then falco? Could you elaborate more on that? I think you also talked about how marth has simpler answers to a lot more situations. Asking because I'm thinking of picking up marth since he's pretty fun to play and I also feel like I might do better. I could always end up trying to duel main like you :)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Marth is less inputs(tech, SDI, etc). So that just makes him way easier on a person to play. He does have simpler solutions too(Fair out of air instead of maybe turnaround Bair) which also simplifies things.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Why should Marth do a dash forward then dash back vs Fox when Marth can do a dash forward jump back fair, aside for more reward of a pivot grab?

What do you consider a winning position vs Fox?

When I am within tipper dtilt spacing vs Falcon and I know he will jump, do I try to react his attempt to jump aerial over dtilt then aerial his jump, or is it more of a preemptive read?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Some Fthrows you can't chase if they DI down and away(and maybe also tech away), so throwing them and having them land near the edge is great. Tech chasing there and in general on platforms is great because of this.

I also recommend not lasering in afterward hoping for a missed tech....you can hit them out of their tech roll and they'll be actionable sooner than otherwise.

JigglyBann

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BANN#723
I find myself often getting run up grabbed by Marths, It's Usually when I laser, and they run under the laser. I know that my laser's timing could be a lot better as well as the laser height. But even when I connect the laser they still grab me often, What options do I have that I can use to play around their run-up grab.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Lower lasers, dash back/WD back laser, connect laser into jab/shine/dash back, immediate Nair/Dair instead of laser, FH are all some good options to beat grab.

JigglyBann

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BANN#723
Hello PP! So I've been entering tourneys now, I just finished my 4th one, and I'm playing people that I know I can win against. Yet when things come down to the wire my brain gets too excited and ****s up. I SD'd on the first set and my heart is breaking as I type this. I plan to keep entering tourneys until I feel comfy in them by just exposer. But also what are things I can do mid-game not in between games to make sure I keep my focus and not go so flustered.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
take a deep breath and slow the game down. Remember to bring that energy and focus back to the game and your goals, not about anything else. It's a conscious decision and YOU can choose what you focus on.

DickNixon

Smash Rookie
Hi pp, what are some tips you have against Puff in the neutral game?

Should I be playing more grounded or should I be playing vertically with the top platform?

Against other characters I feel like there are things I look out for, like how they react to lasers, but against puff I can't make sense of why they do anything they do at all.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Shoot lasers when she's on the ground and don't when she's airborne, Bair is great and FH Bair controls her well, dash FH Nair/Dair pressures and punishes her in the air higher up, and you can space on her shield safely but closer pressure has many pros too.

Being directly above and especially slightly diagonally below Puff is great, so if you want to be on a platform that's fine, but so is playing grounded.

Exsangue

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
exsa#940
Hey PP,
I main sheik and i want to know if you have some tips for the match up against Falco,

i really hate play against him cause the laser.

if you can help me i thanks to you.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Sheik can crouch under Falco's lasers, but also SH over them. She can crouch PS laser, CC grab, or crouch laser then Ftilt or dash/SH to beat what Falco does post-laser. Her Nair is also good at both avoiding laser and hitting Falco so she can do it early(plup does this).

If he's just waiting you can PS, SH in, or run cancel Dsmash or Ftilt or WD into either of those moves. You can also Dash Attack laser's startup if you react well.

Bair him if he's high in the air or just Nair OOS if he goes into you, and be sure to cover the edge with needles/runoff DJ Nair if he tries to recover there a lot.

Top Bottom