• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't understand first hits on spacies either. I really just laser and try to punish whatever they do OoS, but if they are good on plats and can avoid lasers I tend to just start trying to read their mind in order to land a hit (which is bad).

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
i played alot of foxs and falcos probably 90% of the time this week
i dont have any recordings except for me ****ing around playing project m on stream, which i dont even play

but i was told to play by looking at my opponents movements rather than focus my eyes on myself, i see how i will be able to react then, but i just wanted to know where i shud be looking lol, like when its a close engagement i can see everything cuz my peripharals but when were far away what do i do? just laser?

i tried fox stuff on a cpu marth while only looking at the opponent and it definitely helped, but there are definitely times where i need to make sure i do something decently lmao
fox dittos are the best way to learn its like melee in a nutshell, pretty much all reaction after the first engagement, and etting your edgeguards
but the game is too deep for me to understand so thats why im starting from the bottom

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Let's give a somewhat more useful answer already:

The point of saying "you should look at your opponent, not your own character" is obviously about one thing: The stuff your character does, doesn't require constant supervision. You have him somewhere in your field of view (it's a TV not a cinema screen after all), which is usually enough... if not practice more, and while you haven't reached that point, try to get by with quick glances.
Because there is something that does require constant supervision: your opponent. He is the most dangerous thing on the stage after all, and the least predictable one (well, and if he IS indeed more predictable than the movement of Randall, then you're probably winning by a landslide either way haha). How do you even choose what move to beat what he is doing, if you don't know that?

He should also be the main focus of your thought process as well. Thinking about what you want to do next, should rarely if ever be "I am Falco, I want to shoot a laser", but more "My opponent is dash dancing over there, I want him to stop that. He can't punish me right now, if I shoot a laser, so that's what I'll do".

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
thanks, im not good at melee philosophy and theory **** so my smarts dont show, rather im just a newer player lol, and alot of the basic spacies gameplay and fundamentals is alot easier to pick up in 2013, just gotta learn how to incorporate more and more as i play people
but definitely gonna focus on opponents movements, how to play alongside them, and also di accordingly to my opponents placement and followup options.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
How do I handle an overly aggressive and stationary Ganon?

I'm sorry, what?

Shine when you do an aerial on their shield close enough for it to hit. Usually, you want to do a late aerial to shine so you waste no time getting the shine out after you create some shield stun because you want to avoid getting shield-grabbed.

I'm sorry, what?

Shine is when you do an aerial on their shield close enough for it to hit. Usually, you want to do a late aerial to shine so you waste no time getting the shine out after you create some shield stun because you want to avoid getting shield-grabbed.
Thanks.

He's a brawl player... He'll sometimes become stationary and relentlessly forward and down tilt. His excuse is that he plays brawl. Anyways, I just want to know on how to play the Ganon match up. I'm guessing you just space and laser control? He likes to abuse wizards food A LOT. I CC to punish or space and shield grab to uthrow. Then follow up with whatever the situation calls for.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Thanks.

He's a brawl player... He'll sometimes become stationary and relentlessly forward and down tilt. His excuse is that he plays brawl. Anyways, I just want to know on how to play the Ganon match up. I'm guessing you just space and laser control? He likes to abuse wizards food A LOT. I CC to punish or space and shield grab to uthrow. Then follow up with whatever the situation calls for.
Ganon can be really annoying when he's just zoning you out with scary moves. Lasers should be your go-to to interrupt him, but don't rush in right after your lasers because most Ganons that play like that will ftilt or something right after laser stun ends. Instead, laser him, DD back once or twice until he does a preemptive attack, then punish the lag. For down-B, I just shield it on reaction (I am pretty consistent with shielding Falcon's Raptor Boost on reaction so that's where I took the habit from). Once you shield it, WD OoS into a utilt or shine and start comboing. You can also probably just dair to through his down-B, but I'm not sure what the chances are of you trading. Definitely something worth trying if you want to immediately convert into a dair-shine pillar combo.

Ganon can be really annoying when he's just zoning you out with scary moves. Lasers should be your go-to to interrupt him, but don't rush in right after your lasers because most Ganons that play like that will ftilt or something right after laser stun ends. Instead, laser him, DD back once or twice until he does a preemptive attack, then punish the lag. For down-B, I just shield it on reaction (I am pretty consistent with shielding Falcon's Raptor Boost on reaction so that's where I took the habit from). Once you shield it, WD OoS into a utilt or shine and start comboing. You can also probably just dair to through his down-B, but I'm not sure what the chances are of you trading. Definitely something worth trying if you want to immediately convert into a dair-shine pillar combo.

Thanks, I usually shield on reaction as well. I usually bair out of shield or shine out of it if he's close. I should try WD OoS more. Pretty legit. I've daired his down-b, it won't trade if you stick the dair out first. It will if you do it the moment he initiates it or if his down-b is out.

Mr. Happy :)

Smash Cadet
Hey gents, I ran into a Link player for the first time today at a local and I felt pretty uncomfortable playing him. I spent most the matches feeling him out and I kinda relied on wiff punish and lasers to make ends meet. I was afraid of gimmicks, etc. What should I be looking for in that matchup?

Watch out for bombs and boomerang. You can get around them easily, but if the link player picks up on whether or not you're going in, his projectiles might be a problem. Watch out for grabs, they lead to a tech chase and can set you up for grab combo. Watch out for bomb drop mind games, and respect his sword range. Watch out for up-b OoS when you are at mid high percent. If you're shield pressuring or nair to double wave shining, he could smack you if you don't apply enough pressure. From what I've experienced, some Link players will gamble to grab you from afar, or up close. Some might even apply shield stun with their projectiles and run and grab you for a up throw at mid percent to combo upsmash. That is if you don't DI. Some will bait you while throwing up bombs or droppin' em while going up a platform. Watch out for nairs. They're a pain in the ass when you're at high percent, and want to recover. He can also up air you for days at mid percent so FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DI!!! Hope that helps. Your nair and dair can beat most of his moves out. Do not challenge his uair, and they will only up-b barely. Don't expect it too much, unless they start throwing it out a lot. Up-tilt can be a little bit of a hassle if you don't DI as well, they'll catch you on a platform with it, or hit you once out of a grab and then immediately usmash. Ooooooh and beware of his bair. It can combo, and stop you from getting back on the edge as well.

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I was looking for some critique on my Falco/Fox. Here are some matches from last few tourneys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnGRz8fPPfE (Falco ditto where I'm the green Falco.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIyLPxxQ1VY (Me playing Falco vs a YL and Marth.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNj_-QdrOIA (A Falco ditto where I'm the blue Falco.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLE1lEmC3qM (Me playing Falco vs a Fox.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffUXrIitf6s (Me playing Fox vs a Jiggs.)

No disclaimers or Johns I'd like to hear anything, no matter how obvious, and no need to watch all of them if you don't want to. I'd just like some feedback on the goods and bads of my playing.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
did anyone else see that match in person? legendary cheese

Hbox's dancing though, 4/10 would not recommend
i saw you get hype watching some set, i think it was hanky panky hax idk lol, you had the hat right?

the pp hbox set was ******** good, pp is my favorite player now cuz he just doesnt get hit and he plays a rediculous punish game OMFG

also
howd ur matches go dude, did you get hella friendlies

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
i saw you get hype watching some set, i think it was hanky panky hax idk lol, you had the hat right?

the pp hbox set was ******** good, pp is my favorite player now cuz he just doesnt get hit and he plays a rediculous punish game OMFG

also
howd ur matches go dude, did you get hella friendlies
yeah that was the blacktician lmao, you might of saw me in the hanky vs hax or scar because I was sitting right next to him during one of those matches. Don't remember lol. But I know I was getting hella hype in one of the videos of M2k vs Hbox, WF I think

and i'll inbox u

Bones0

Smash Legend
Does anyone know the Mario match up for Falco? I'd like to know because I have a friend who plays him. I see to not know what to do against up-b recovery and dair ariels.
Grab the ledge as late as possible and simply drop down, DJ bair. If he is too low to land on stage, just roll from the ledge.

If he's hitting you with FH dairs, you kind of just have to outspace them. Utilt and bair are great moves for beating it outright, and you should be able to punish the lag with dairs and uairs as well.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
peepee we still believe in you.

if you have some time, i'd love to hear your thoughts on your recent sets vs m2k and hbox
<3

I was pretty disappointed in those sets. Not necessarily because I lost, but because of my very wide fluctuations in play. Sometimes I put everything together well and they were helpless, and sometimes I just played incredibly scrubby and combo video'd myself. Of course it's a 2 player game and they fluctuated some as well, but this is my own feeling about my own play this weekend.

I am extremely comfortable with the Puff/Hbox matchup and how to handle the various positions that matchup has. Hbox actually took more risks than usual after listening to music and that was a bit odd(but good idea for him imo) but I don't think it should have changed much had I stayed consistent. *shrug*

M2K seemed less concerned about playing my Falco, probably because I've been giving him a lot of hope lately. Anyway, he had more tricks to use but he largely seemed the same as at TFC. I'm pretty unhappy with how this set went but he simply wanted it more/focused more than I did and it showed.

Hey Dr. Peepee I'm pretty new to the scene. I'll be going to my first local tourney on the 26th. I want to know what exactly should I be preparing for? What should my mentality be going in, and coming out? What should I be paying attention to specifically when I play someone? By the way you're an awesome smasher. I've sort of developed my own Falco game based off of yours. I've read a lot of your stuff. Pretty darn legit.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey Dr. Peepee I'm pretty new to the scene. I'll be going to my first local tourney on the 26th. I want to know what exactly should I be preparing for? What should my mentality be going in, and coming out? What should I be paying attention to specifically when I play someone? By the way you're an awesome smasher. I've sort of developed my own Falco game based off of yours. I've read a lot of your stuff. Pretty darn legit.
Thank you sir =)

Research your local competition and see what you can find. Focus on those players and matchups.

Come into the event planning on proving yourself but also learning a ton. Play as many people as you can. This is to improve your abilities but also to make friends that can be valuable training partners or just actual friends lol.

Pay attention to how people respond to your lasers and your followup game. Really your everything lol so refine your game as much as you can going in to see the best results.

Divinokage

Smash Legend

Ganons should learn how to take one laser SDI it and waveland after stun, it gives him more defensive option and keep his movement, you can also CC trap his next move into grab. But until then I suppose you are safe with basic laser to whatever.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Ganons should learn how to take one laser SDI it and waveland after stun, it gives him more defensive option and keep his movement, you can also CC trap his next move into grab. But until then I suppose you are safe with basic laser to whatever.
WL after lasers sounds sick. I might try that myself. The CC trap sounds okay, but if they dair instead of nair you're kinda screwed even at the lower percents.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
WL after lasers sounds sick. I might try that myself. The CC trap sounds okay, but if they dair instead of nair you're kinda screwed even at the lower percents.

Ya for the CC, you really have to watch it with the range in between you and Falco. Pretty sure theres a distance where Nair will hit but Dair won't. But by then I guess you can perhaps simply CC laser into jab trade with dair if not uair. I think that's how it goes, not entirely sure, I have a hard time visualizing these situations lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M5DD_SLCmrU#t=300 It looks exactly like that.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Ya for the CC, you really have to watch it with the range in between you and Falco. Pretty sure theres a distance where Nair will hit but Dair won't. But by then I guess you can perhaps simply CC laser into jab trade with dair if not uair. I think that's how it goes, not entirely sure, I have a hard time visualizing these situations lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M5DD_SLCmrU#t=300 It looks exactly like that.
I guess just to me, as a Falco, I worry much more about Ganon attacking after the laser than him CCing my aerials. I also think I use nair approaches significantly less than most Falcos though, so take from that what you will. If the Falco is nairing, then by all means CC punish. That WL back into CC shield grab was just ridiculous. lol You better attend more events.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
holy **** kage how tight of a window was it do all those inputs, i hardly ever see people doing that heavy di on the lasers, and that all converted to a kill
not sure why falcos wud ever approach a legit ganon with a laser cuz that happens, that was one of the sexiest combos ever done haha :)

Tak
Thank you sir =)

Research your local competition and see what you can find. Focus on those players and matchups.

Come into the event planning on proving yourself but also learning a ton. Play as many people as you can. This is to improve your abilities but also to make friends that can be valuable training partners or just actual friends lol.

Pay attention to how people respond to your lasers and your followup game. Really your everything lol so refine your game as much as you can going in to see the best results.
Thank you. I hope to play you someday and hang out bro. I have another question. I play a verity of characters, but the first one was Falco. Should I continue on playing them all while developing my Falco, or should I stick to one? I remember reading a thread you wrote about the multitude of knowledge you gain from different characters.

Top Bottom