• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
So, if this is the final roster...

Did DK really get nothing new?

Seems weird.
The amount of fanbase for mario, legend of zelda, pokemon, etc. Are bigger than the fanbase of DK games. That would probably explain why they wouldn't give that much focus on it. They even focus in bringing characters from even new games or other games we haven't get characters in smash bros before. And i totally find that ok and understandable imo

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
for the sake of argument, lets say all the black spaces are to be filled with characters. Do you really think that all of them would be newcomers?

Possible Newcomers: Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Kids, Impa, Mach Rider, K. Rool
Veterans: Wolf, Ice Climbers, Lucas, Mewtwo

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Leaker said this isn't the final roster.
We should really hang an announcement somewhere:

This isn't the final roster!
for the sake of argument, lets say all the black spaces are to be filled with characters. Do you really think that all of them would be newcomers?

Possible Newcomers: Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Kids, Impa, Mach Rider, K. Rool
Veterans: Wolf, Ice Climbers, Lucas, Mewtwo
I would like most of them to be newcomers, to be honest. I've always thought it's better to have new stuff rather than recycling almost everything from the previous game.

If I had to choose five, they would be Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Impa and Wolf.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I still got reasons to believe that the Chorus Kids, a new Metroid rep and a new Zelda rep will make it in. I still have a small hope for Mewtwo but that's only based on my bias.

So I guess Chorus Kids, Ridley and Impa are the ones I'm still expecting, to make five I'd add Mewtwo and Dixie.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I've read the OP several times over, but I'm still not super clear on this... why are we taking the leaker at his word about there being more characters when it doesn't really make any sense as far as the context of the leak (what actual reason would there be for the ESRB to use an incomplete roster to rate) and when he already used his credibility to mess with us using text-only leaks (DLC)? Is this some other leaker? I feel like I must be missing something seeing how I see it spread as gospel that we're definitely getting other characters.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
I still got reasons to believe that the Chorus Kids, a new Metroid rep and a new Zelda rep will make it in. I still have a small hope for Mewtwo but that's only based on my bias.

So I guess Chorus Kids, Ridley and Impa are the ones I'm still expecting, to make five I'd add Mewtwo and Dixie.
Donkey Kong deserves another rep more than the Zelda series, and is probably more likely to receive one between the two.

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I've read the OP several times over, but I'm still not super clear on this... why are we taking the leaker at his word about there being more characters when it doesn't really make any sense as far as the context of the leak (what actual reason would there be for the ESRB to use an incomplete roster to rate) and when he already used his credibility to mess with us using text-only leaks (DLC)? Is this some other leaker? I feel like I must be missing something seeing how I see it spread as gospel that we're definitely getting other characters.
Supposedly he wasn't from the ESRB he worked for Nintendo of America.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
The leak we believe is the one by Ninka and Vaanrose. Another leaker used that leak to add some made up information, such as the DLC list, but was later debunked. As of now, the Ninka/Vaanrose leak is the only one that should be trusted. Ninka himself said there were more characters, but nobody knows who they are.

And about the ESRB thing, I'm pretty sure the ESRB doesn't have to see everything in order to rate a game. You just have to show them the most controversial bits.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Well, basically...
1. The ESRB doesn't usually get all of the footage of a game and showing off every character isn't actually necessary to get ESRB rated. So, it's not unusual at all that the ESRB would be shown an incomplete roster as long as there wasn't any controversial or extreme characters kept from them (and even then, they still could, the ESRB just might be able to change the rating AFTER release).

2. The CSS is not a rectangle and it's been one in every single game (if you count the random space). If you do the math, it's impossible to have a roster size that COULDN'T be represented by a rectangle if you include up to 2 random slots (You'd have to have 3 prime numbers in a row). Considering Sakurai's decent consistent in UI's, it seems unusual that he'd break it now.

3. The ESRB images showed a lock on All-Star mode and it doesn't seem to be photoshopped. While it's unusual that All-Star shows up at all if it's locked, it's possible that it was added to the Solo play screen to keep it from looking sparse.

4. Several other leaks have gotten a lot right in retrospect (and are likely legitimately leaks from early in the game's development), and they seem to not only think there's more characters coming but a handful of characters seem to keep showing up in common.

5. The CSS is also unorganized. Every smash game has organized characters by series previously, but looks unorganized when you haven't unlocked all the characters.

There's also a pretty stark lack of evidence that we HAVE had the full roster leak. It mostly boils down to point 1 and questioning whether Nintendo would potentially not show the ESRB the whole roster. Even then, if you believe they wouldn't, it's possible they had multiple people record footage with different rosters unlocked to avoid a leak.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Supposedly he wasn't from the ESRB he worked for Nintendo of America.
The NoA employee was leaking what he was supposed to be giving to the ESRB, so it would be the ESRB content.

The leak we believe is the one by Ninka and Vaanrose. Another leaker used that leak to add some made up information, such as the DLC list, but was later debunked. As of now, the Ninka/Vaanrose leak is the only one that should be trusted. Ninka himself said there were more characters, but nobody knows who they are.

And about the ESRB thing, I'm pretty sure the ESRB doesn't have to see everything in order to rate a game. You just have to show them the most controversial bits.
And alright, I suppose that makes sense, though it seems weird to me that they'd know that we are missing characters but not which ones. At any rate if we are missing some it would be what? Four characters? There's room for five on that CSS, but I figure that with customization on the Mii's would appear on the CSS meaning that there's actually only room for four right? I guess Ridley, Mewtwo, Chorus Kids and Lucas/Wolf would be worth me holding out hope for.

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
So Ninka "thinks" that there are more characters to unlock for the same reasons as us think that. Is not like she got the information that there is more.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
That... doesn't sound at all like s/he's saying there's more characters. Honestly it just sounds like s/he's trying to avoid specifically saying that s/he knows for sure that there isn't.

Well, basically...
1. The ESRB doesn't usually get all of the footage of a game and showing off every character isn't actually necessary to get ESRB rated. So, it's not unusual at all that the ESRB would be shown an incomplete roster as long as there wasn't any controversial or extreme characters kept from them (and even then, they still could, the ESRB just might be able to change the rating AFTER release).

2. The CSS is not a rectangle and it's been one in every single game (if you count the random space). If you do the math, it's impossible to have a roster size that COULDN'T be represented by a rectangle if you include up to 2 random slots (You'd have to have 3 prime numbers in a row). Considering Sakurai's decent consistent in UI's, it seems unusual that he'd break it now.

3. The ESRB images showed a lock on All-Star mode and it doesn't seem to be photoshopped. While it's unusual that All-Star shows up at all if it's locked, it's possible that it was added to the Solo play screen to keep it from looking sparse.

4. Several other leaks have gotten a lot right in retrospect (and are likely legitimately leaks from early in the game's development), and they seem to not only think there's more characters coming but a handful of characters seem to keep showing up in common.

5. The CSS is also unorganized. Every smash game has organized characters by series previously, but looks unorganized when you haven't unlocked all the characters.

There's also a pretty stark lack of evidence that we HAVE had the full roster leak. It mostly boils down to point 1 and questioning whether Nintendo would potentially not show the ESRB the whole roster. Even then, if you believe they wouldn't, it's possible they had multiple people record footage with different rosters unlocked to avoid a leak.
1. Do we know this about the ESRB? I always thought they had to get all content to accurately rate. I guess it's less stringent than I thought if it's the case that they don't.

2. Well... I guess. Seems arbitrary because for as consistent as he is there's also some things such as the lack of names on the CSS that go against tradition.

3. It's possible that it was simply locked in that picture. The footage they get isn't taken from an actual copy of the game so, all the characters being unlocked in one part of the footage doesn't mean it is in all parts. Someone pointed out a weird thing with the trophies that shows this possibility, I'll try to find it. But I do still find it weird so I mean, this is actually what makes more characters most likely for me.

4. Like Gematsu? That's literally the only one other than these main ones, so I'm not sure "several" is the right word.

5. It's actually organized just fine if you ask me. Honestly people bring this point up as if the screen was entirely random but the only weird elements are the clones (kinda) and Shulk (kinda).

Last edited:

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
That is entirely different than Ninka saying "that there are more characters". Yesterday, Ninka only said that he was not sure if this was the final roster, and that his source did not know either. This doesn't mean "there are more characters".

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
There are more characters because I really want Ridley and Mewtwo playable and if there aren't more characters then they aren't playable.

That's all the proof I need.

micstar615

Smash Ace
Honestly, as far as more characters go...it could go either way. There are good reasons for both sides, but I think the idea of the CSS being the final roster has the most going for it. Also, I think it's best to accept it now, it'll avoid disappointment later if this is indeed the final roster.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Basically, checkmate? :4robinm:

Until we get see someone new, from the previous leaks or completely different, this would be the roster we're getting ultimately.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, as far as more characters go...it could go either way. There are good reasons for both sides, but I think the idea of the CSS being the final roster has the most going for it. Also, I think it's best to accept it now, it'll avoid disappointment later if this is indeed the final roster.
Basically, checkmate? :4robinm:

Until we get see someone new, from the previous leaks or completely different, this would be the roster we're getting ultimately.
I would hate to be 'that' person, but what evidence supports that there are no more characters?

R0Y

Smash Master
I would hate to be 'that' person, but what evidence supports that there are no more characters?
Exactly, it's not that there's an onus to prove that there aren't more. Just there's no real onus to prove that there ARE more at this stage of the game either. We shall see, soon, nobody knows yet.

Last edited:

oscuras

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2105-8721-7551
Why not just wait 2 weeks for the game to be released in Japan, and we'll get the confirmed final roster? Rather than fighting with each other on who's right or wrong. It's fun to speculate and all, but fighting over this is just pure stupid. #justsaying

Morbi

Scavenger
Why not just wait 2 weeks for the game to be released in Japan, and we'll get the confirmed final roster? Rather than fighting with each other on who's right or wrong. It's fun to speculate and all, but fighting over this is just pure stupid. #justsaying
To be fair, it is not "fighting" per se. There are just some disagreements that are attached to the speculation, therefore people feel obligated to debate in favor of their perspective. Everyone is aware that the truth is inevitable and imminent; however, there is nothing else relevant to discuss at the current time.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
There's a rumor that we're getting Duck Hunt Dog at PAX since it's more of an American character. Is there any proof for this we know of?

Double Post
Of course, someone is going to break the street date. I doubt the review copy leak, but it is always possible. However, those are probably not going to happen until the week before release, sadly.
Not too long now then.

There's a rumor that we're getting Duck Hunt Dog at PAX since it's more of an American character. Is there any proof for this we know of?
Not heard of this rumor. Isn't PAX over on Monday?
I feel like DHD should be a secret character but I'd love a trailer for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squishyfrog

Smash Rookie
NNID
Squishyfrog
The reason I'm assuming this is the final roster is because it's just a much healthier mindset to have. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment in case this is the final roster, which it could very well be, and if it isn't then I can be surprised and I'll be even more hyped for the game.

And honestly, this roster has really grown on me. If this is all we're getting I would be totally cool with it, although I would obviously prefer if there were more characters.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
i dont think you should jump to conclusions so easily. its best to leave a flexible mind and to be more open minded.

micstar615

Smash Ace
i dont think you should jump to conclusions so easily. its best to leave a flexible mind and to be more open minded.
I'd love for there to be more and I think both sides have a lot going for them, but I won't be 100% convinced till I see evidence, I'm hoping for the best but am contempt with what he have, as long as we get good DLC support later as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom