• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Alternative Character Slots / Palette Swaps / Clones

Luminario

Smash Lord
One thing I'd also really like to see in the next smash is many more Villager alts. For example, if Lip once again doesn't get in the game, then Villager could be given the Flower Fairy outfit that was recently added into ACNL as an alt. There could also be the Witch outfit, the classic horned/pointy hat, the Zap outfits, Bunny/Cat, Knight, Ninja, Pumpkin-head, honestly there are so many possibilities.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Custom moves are probably coming back to be incorporated with the amiibo, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of them be used to make more clone characters.

I could see Dragonite over Charizard with at least dragon rush over flare blitz.

Maybe Phantom Ganon over Ganondorf with Warlock Blade and Wizard's Dropkick, etc.

And to get Palutena's customs in even in customs off mode would be awesome :)
This is also what I meant! Create new characters out of excisting character using Custom Moves as set movesets for these characters.

I'm also for cool alternative costumes like PJ Ness, but am far more interessted in characters like :4alph:, or Koopalings :4larry:. They could be fleshed out far more, and I'm starting to become a Alph supporter here reading the ideas for Rock Pikmin Alph! And with the Koopalings, just a few differences in speeds, weights, heights and other statistics would work wonders for these characters.

Alm on the base moveset of Marth is also an idea I still support full-heartly. It worked to give Fire Emblem Awakening an extra character, and in many ways it just fits very well. A Luigified Lucina would work wonder for a character like Chrom too. Especially to halt the overload of Fire Emblem characters, I think this is a great idea to keep the current cast and add some new and otherwise popular additions.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm gonna make a big list of ideas for alternate costumes that could be spun off into alt movesets or clones for characters so if nothing else it saves time on modelling.

:4mario:
Tanooki Suit Mario
FLUDD Mario

:4luigi:
Ice Luigi
Poltergust Luigi

:4peach:
Cat Peach
Strikers Peach

:4bowser:
Brute Bowser (Melee/Brawl style)
Dry Bowser

:4drmario:
Virologist (fancier lab coat)
Field Medic (pactical scrubs)

:rosalina:
Biker Suit Rosalina
Tennis dress Rosalina (the only good thing to come out of that WiiU mess)

:4bowserjr:
... I think he's pretty well covered for alts.

:4yoshi:
Super Mario World Yoshi (changes voice to squeaks too)
Yarn Yoshi

:4dk:

:4diddy:

:4link:
Breath of the Wild Link

More to come when my creativity recharges.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If Spring Man got in, and we only got him as an ARMS rep, I could see Ribbon Girl and Min Min and Ninjara being possibilities for this. (As they're the only ones that fit with Spring Man's body type. Basically the reason why Jigglypuff got added in the first Smash) And it helps represent the entire thing where every character can use every type of arms in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What am still really hoping for is a new move set for Lucina and Chrom gets in with the same move set. Alt or full clone doesn't matter much to me.

Alm is also still high in my clone want list. Cause I'm mad interested in those Rock Pikmin gimmicks.

araIn general, I don't mind characters who are build up from other characters move sets and assets. Much like the last 3 DLC characters. Cloud was based of Ike, Corrin of Marth and Bayonetta of Zero Suit Samus.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If we've moved onto clones then I actually have quite a few:
:4luigi:/:4drmario:- Dr. Luigi
:4peach: - Daisy (semi-clone)
:4bowser: - Dry Bowser (semi-clone, perhaps taking on some moves Bowser no longer has like his old F-Smash and NAIR.)
:4link: - :younglinkmelee: (Updated to a semi-clone)
:4zelda: - Toon Zelda (semi-clone similar to how :4tlink: was handled)
:4sheik: - Impa (semi-clone)
:4pikachu: - :pichumelee: (Bring it back cuz wynaut? And I just like Pichu. :p)
:4falcon: - Blood Falcon
:4ness: - Ninten (semi-clone with specials based on healing/support PSI)
:4wario: - :4wario2: (Wario Land version as a semi-clone)
:4olimar: - :4alph:(Clone with Rock Pikmin)
:4sonic: - Tails (semi-clone)
:4marth:/:4feroy: - Leif and Alm
:4lucina: - Chrom (provided they overhaul Lucina with a decent number of differences from :4marth:)
:4littlemac:- Doc Louis (semi-clone)
:4megaman: - Roll, Proto Man, or even X (I actually did make a semi-clone moveset for X a while back using weapons from the X series that closely resemble many of MM's moves in function.)
:4pacman: - Ms. Pac-Man
:4ryu: - Ken
:4bayonetta: - Jeanne

Seemingly obvious choices I didn't use.

:4diddy: - Dixie; I'd actually prefer if Dixie got mostly her own attacks. They could still use Diddy's model as a base and maybe have a few similar attacks, but I'd like to see her use more attacks with her hair, and there are some moves on Diddy that just don't fit Dixie imo.

:4samus: - Dark Samus - Similar to Dixie, using the same model as a base and borrowing some attacks would be fine, but I do think that DS would lend itself better to having more differences for both specials and normals.

Other Fire Emblem characters - You could go on all day listing possible contenders so I'd rather not for now. :p

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I posted these in Speculation Discussion a while ago. I guess a few of these could be clones, but i'd prefer less of those instead of more.

Mario: Sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt, Mario Maker outfit.

Luigi: Mr. L, Dr. Luigi, US Open Tournament Golf outfit.

Bowser: Dry Bowser, Meowser.

Bowser Jr: Boom Boom.

Wario: Hard Hat, Viking Helmet, Dragon Hat all from SML3: Wario Land.

Yoshi: Wool Yoshi.

Donkey Kong: Boxing Gloves, Funky Kong.

Link: BOTW, OOT, SS designs.

Zelda: BOTW, OOT, SS designs.

Ganondorf: Hyrule Warriors design.

Toon Link: Pajamas.

Pikachu: Cosplay Pikachus, old-school fat Pikachu.

Mewtwo: That badass armor he wore in the Anime.

Marth: Seliph.

Lucina: Masked Lucina.

Roy: Eliwood.

Pit: Classic Pit.

Little Mac: SNES Little Mac, NES Little Mac.

Olimar: Louie, Brittany, Charlie.

Kirby: Yarn Kirby.

Meta Knight: Galactia Knight.

King Dedede: Masked Dedede.

R.O.B: N64, Gamecube, Virtual Boy colors.

Ness and Lucas: Pajamas.

Sonic The Hedgehog: Classic Sonic, Shadow, Silver.

Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man.

Megaman: Protoman, Bass.

Ryu: Ken Masters, Evil Ryu.

Though I'm kind of digging the idea of Tanooki Mario being a Mario Semi-clone..

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I posted these in Speculation Discussion a while ago. I guess a few of these could be clones, but i'd prefer less of those instead of more.

Mario: Sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt, Mario Maker outfit.

Luigi: Mr. L, Dr. Luigi, US Open Tournament Golf outfit.

Bowser: Dry Bowser, Meowser.

Bowser Jr: Boom Boom.

Wario: Hard Hat, Viking Helmet, Dragon Hat all from SML3: Wario Land.

Yoshi: Wool Yoshi.

Donkey Kong: Boxing Gloves, Funky Kong.

Link: BOTW, OOT, SS designs.

Zelda: BOTW, OOT, SS designs.

Ganondorf: Hyrule Warriors design.

Toon Link: Pajamas.

Pikachu: Cosplay Pikachus, old-school fat Pikachu.

Mewtwo: That badass armor he wore in the Anime.

Marth: Seliph.

Lucina: Masked Lucina.

Roy: Eliwood.

Pit: Classic Pit.

Little Mac: SNES Little Mac, NES Little Mac.

Olimar: Louie, Brittany, Charlie.

Kirby: Yarn Kirby.

Meta Knight: Galactia Knight.

King Dedede: Masked Dedede.

R.O.B: N64, Gamecube, Virtual Boy colors.

Ness and Lucas: Pajamas.

Sonic The Hedgehog: Classic Sonic, Shadow, Silver.

Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man.

Megaman: Protoman, Bass.

Ryu: Ken Masters, Evil Ryu.

Though I'm kind of digging the idea of Tanooki Mario being a Mario Semi-clone..
Tom Nook should just take on the Tanooki suit attributes tbh

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet
Perhaps Chrom could be a clone of Roy, but his sword wouldn't have a tipper and instead would do equal damage throughout, like Lucina.
:troll:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It might be controversial, but I would like to see Chrom as a Marth palette swap in Smash. Chrome is one of the few characters I think is perfect in that role.
What am still really hoping for is a new move set for Lucina and Chrom gets in with the same move set. Alt or full clone doesn't matter much to me.
The tipper differences between Marth, Roy and Lucina make them all so much drastically different in the way you have to approach them. It's why people who are good with one of them is not necessarily good with the others.
Alm is also still high in my clone want list. Cause I'm mad interested in those Rock Pikmin gimmicks.
Considering you just called Alph a Fire Emblem characters' name, I think you've been discussing a lot of Fire Emblem! :grin::laugh::chuckle:

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
For alternate costumes,

Mario needs his old 80s red overalls and cap and blue shirt look. He almost got it last game, but he had a blue cap. Oddly enough Wario actually had this color scheme.

Likewise, Luigi could use the green overalls and cap and blue shirt look.

While we're still going retro, let's give Samus a Justin Bailey look. In fact, let's expand on that. One of the things I loved most about Zero suit Samus was that they gave her some of her other ending clothes. I wouldn't midn the whole Zero-Suit thing being dropped and just giving us Unarmored Samus in her various ending outfits ... and including the Zero suit.

Give Peach a Pauline outfit with red dress and black hair would also be nice. As would Diddy getting a DK Jr. look.

Blood Falcon has been mentioned a few times here, honestly, I don't care for the guy. he seems too much of a non-entity. I say let's go all out and make a full Captain Falcon clone. Bring in Deathborn he's a nice villainous design and could take over Ganondorf's attributes freeing 'dorf up for a complete revamp.

I'd also like for Wario to get a pure red and black look to harken back to his first solo game on Virtual Boy.

Bomberman has been brought up as a potential character a few times. If he gets in, I'd also toss in Mouser as a clone of him.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Sorry. i should have phrased that better than I did. Virtual Boy had the first Wario game that was PURELY a Wario game. Gameboy had his first solo outing, but it was still sold as being Super Mario Land III.

It was when he moved from just being a Mario spin-off to being able to stand on his own.

splat

Smash Lord
Are we still doing palette swaps like we did during Brawl and Smash 4 development?

One of my more 'out there' hopes. Every costume at least somewhat references some other part (though some only very loosely) of the franchise. Can you recognize them all? :)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Are we still doing palette swaps like we did during Brawl and Smash 4 development?

One of my more 'out there' hopes. Every costume at least somewhat references some other part (though some only very loosely) of the franchise. Can you recognize them all? :)
I can't recognize any of them, but this is really neat!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
after tri force heroes, breath of the wild and now odyssey the regular pallet swaps are kind of dull

i really want mario in that white suit, link in the champions tunic and toon link in as many tri force heroes outfits as they can cram into the game

PF9

Smash Lord
While we're on the subject of alternate costumes, perhaps unlockable alternate costumes could become a thing. The Mario characters have all kinds of alternate costumes from the Mario Party games (like Cowboy Mario) they could bring in.

I'd like to see an event match wherein the Cowboy incarnations of the Mario characters go up against bad guys in some kind of desert stage (with the Rawhide theme playing).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
SSB4 really set the bar for alt costumes and palettes. I definitely see it something expanded upon in the future. However, I'm personally don't think we will see the palette number increase past 8. But possibly we might see a Little Mac situation where each costume gets palette swaps.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'd love to see Smash 5 pull off Alt costumes like Injustice did.
To me, the more, the merrier, so I'd like to see all of Mario's outfits from Odyssey, Classic Mario
, Wedding Bowser, Dry Bowser, Meowser Wedding Peach, Dr. Luigi, Mr. L, OOT Link/Zelda/Ganondorf, BOTW Link/Zelda, Classic Link/Zelda, Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf, Yarn Yoshi, Yarn Kirby, Galacta Knight, Masked Dedede, Boxing DK, Funky Kong for DK, Chrom for Ike, Ken for Ryu, Daisy for Peach, Shadow for Sonic, Proto Man and Bass for Mega Man, and honestly anything imaginable. I'd like to see Nintendo go all out with costumes this time.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Injustice 2 really did great things with the entire premium skins idea. But, as with all things, it could of been a flop and did more harm then good. As much as a Daisy skin for Peach or a Chrom skin for Marth would be cool, it might not work as well for Smash as it did with I2.

I definitely think though nintendo and whoever will lead Smash switch should look into and play games such as I2, Overwatch, and SFV, to get an idea on how to incorporate reskins. SFV did many things wrong but I really like the costumes they have available.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Cloud Strife makes it back, he needs this costume...

All we need to do is wait for FF7HD to release and port the model.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
All we need to do is wait for FF7HD to release and port the model.
Are any of us even gonna still be alive when that releases?

So... sort of an idea I have for a clone, relevant to there being a new Metroid and to one of Samus's existing alts already:

Fusion Samus. (I mean like, with a model accurate to how she looked in Metroid Fusion, not just a recolor of the varia suit)

Where Dr. Mario is a slower but more powerful Mario, I see Fusion Samus as the inverse- a bit more agile, but less powerful and easier to KO, all due to having significant parts of her power suit surgically removed. She could swap out her normal/super missiles for ice missiles, and have her morph ball help her evade better- to reference her constant need to hide and escape from the SA-X. Maybe include the speed booster somehow?

Granted, then we'd have just 3 versions of Samus repping her entire series, but... eh. Samus's big change in Fusion is pretty noteworthy. And Fusion is basically my favorite Metroid game. :p

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Yeah, Smash could get so much more creative with palette swaps - Bowser Jr and Wario are excellent examples of it done correctly though.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I'd say I like crossover outfits that keep within Super Smash Bros. limitations while not strictly limiting to the canon. However, I would like the costumes to make sense on who has it. Think of Street Fighter X Tekken, but better executed. I wouldn't use the costumes as a barrier to entry, but rather use an outfit regardless of how a franchise is in Smash.

I'll list some outfits I think would work out.

• The Link Sonic outfit for Sonic.
  • Shulk's default outfit on Dark Pit.
  • Greninja with some Sheikah clothes.
  • Falco getting Captain Falcon's outfit.
  • Robin of FE: Awakening getting an SNES Black Mage outfit.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'd say I like crossover outfits that keep within Super Smash Bros. limitations while not strictly limiting to the canon. However, I would like the costumes to make sense on who has it. Think of Street Fighter X Tekken, but better executed. I wouldn't use the costumes as a barrier to entry, but rather use an outfit regardless of how a franchise is in Smash.

I'll list some outfits I think would work out.

• The Link Sonic outfit for Sonic.
  • Shulk's default outfit on Dark Pit.
  • Greninja with some Sheikah clothes.
  • Falco getting Captain Falcon's outfit.
  • Robin of FE: Awakening getting an SNES Black Mage outfit.
Adding in crossover outfits like that would have been a goldmine for Ninty. If Robin gets any outfit from FF it should probably be the Red Mage outfit though, Zelda's the resident Black Mage here. Also a White Mage Peach outfit
I feel like Villager is probably the best to get a wide range of crossover alts. With all the potential outfits in AC I'm still surprised they got stuck with 8 bland ones.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Adding in crossover outfits like that would have been a goldmine for Ninty. If Robin gets any outfit from FF it should probably be the Red Mage outfit though, Zelda's the resident Black Mage here. Also a White Mage Peach outfit
I feel like Villager is probably the best to get a wide range of crossover alts. With all the potential outfits in AC I'm still surprised they got stuck with 8 bland ones.
I completely agree on the crossover outfits being a goldmine opportunity.

Robin seems to fit to me as a Black Mage since his magic power draws more from FF's Black Mage than a Red Mage, however, a Red Mage would work too. A Red Mage can use swords unlike Black Mages, which they use rods and daggers.

The Villager is a potential goldmine of any outfit choices, period.

As for Zelda, I am not entirely sure, but I think Palutena's outfit would fit Zelda due to...
her Skyward Sword incarnation being a reincarnation of the goddess in Link's World, Hylia.

I can see Lucario with an outfit from a fighting game, almost no question about it.

There are many possibilities Smash could choose from if they implement this.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
If:snake: makes it back in I'd like to see skin swaps for Liquid Snake, Raiden and Big Boss. With all of them having unique codecs and a special one if you have liquid, snake and Big Boss on the field at the same time.

Make :174: an alternate skin for :4jigglypuff:. I'd hardly use it but i thought it'd be fun.
Multiple alternate skins for :4link: & :4tlink: until all links are represented. Something similar for :4ganondorf: too.

:4megaman: into protoman

And lastly a skin to turn :4fox: into Masahiro Sakurai

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
If:snake: makes it back in I'd like to see skin swaps for Liquid Snake, Raiden and Big Boss. With all of them having unique codecs and a special one if you have liquid, snake and Big Boss on the field at the same time.
I don't think using Raiden as a skin for Solid Snake would work. Thanks to Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Rising, Raiden would be better off as a semi clone with a sword or being a unique character. Big Boss during his younger years (MGS3, Portable Ops, and Peace Walker.) could work as a skin.

With the crossover costume idea I posted earlier, I think "The Boss" and her Sneaking Suit from MGS3 would work well with Zero Suit Samus, if Solid Snake were to come back.

Spiwizzle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mama Mii-a
3DS FC
5429-9383-9253
If we've moved onto clones then I actually have quite a few:
:4luigi:/:4drmario:- Dr. Luigi
:4peach: - Daisy (semi-clone)
:4bowser: - Dry Bowser (semi-clone, perhaps taking on some moves Bowser no longer has like his old F-Smash and NAIR.)
:4link: - :younglinkmelee: (Updated to a semi-clone)
:4zelda: - Toon Zelda (semi-clone similar to how :4tlink: was handled)
:4sheik: - Impa (semi-clone)
:4pikachu: - :pichumelee: (Bring it back cuz wynaut? And I just like Pichu. :p)
:4falcon: - Blood Falcon
:4ness: - Ninten (semi-clone with specials based on healing/support PSI)
:4wario: - :4wario2: (Wario Land version as a semi-clone)
:4olimar: - :4alph:(Clone with Rock Pikmin)
:4sonic: - Tails (semi-clone)
:4marth:/:4feroy: - Leif and Alm
:4lucina: - Chrom (provided they overhaul Lucina with a decent number of differences from :4marth:)
:4littlemac:- Doc Louis (semi-clone)
:4megaman: - Roll, Proto Man, or even X (I actually did make a semi-clone moveset for X a while back using weapons from the X series that closely resemble many of MM's moves in function.)
:4pacman: - Ms. Pac-Man
:4ryu: - Ken
:4bayonetta: - Jeanne

Seemingly obvious choices I didn't use.

:4diddy: - Dixie; I'd actually prefer if Dixie got mostly her own attacks. They could still use Diddy's model as a base and maybe have a few similar attacks, but I'd like to see her use more attacks with her hair, and there are some moves on Diddy that just don't fit Dixie imo.

:4samus: - Dark Samus - Similar to Dixie, using the same model as a base and borrowing some attacks would be fine, but I do think that DS would lend itself better to having more differences for both specials and normals.

Other Fire Emblem characters - You could go on all day listing possible contenders so I'd rather not for now. :p
Dammit man! You stole pretty much all my ideas before I could even post them!!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
(just Link in the case of that image)

yeah, none of them have any chance of happening, but I can dream

for recolours, I want Pinkle Link, Kumatora Lucas, anything, just anything other than slight shade changes for Sonic, Waluigi Luigi with a yellow L, Krystal Fox (I don't even like Krystal, I just like her colour scheme), Pink DK Jr. Diddy, Pac-Devil Pac-Man and Waluigi Wario.

also, Biker Wario should be kept as default. yeah, I said it.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Young Link -- a pallet swap with Toon Link. Find a happy medium so the character feels both like YL and TL (mobility-wise). There won't be any frame data difference just slightly different animations/effects, different sounds of course, but even the same hurtbox. If YL is bigger than TL, make TL bigger so they're the same size. Then their hurtboxes can be the same and it will match both characters' bodies well enough.

Range and sword model size will have to increase a little for Toon Link. Too tiny and cartoon-like; wouldn't be right on Young Link. Side benefit of being a buff that easily compensates for the bigger hurtboxes/character model.

Last edited:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Since we're talking about how characters custom moves can make new fighters, how about giving Rick Wheeler (Ryu Suzaku for the non-dub watchers!) Captain Falcon's moveset but with electricity? Swap out the Blue Falcon if wished to avoid spoilers on who he becomes for the Dragon Bird, and some other stuff, and boom. New fighter! - Afro

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Character skins for different characters was an engenius way of adding more to the table, like Bowser Jr.'s Koopaling alts.. They really should consider doing this with other characters, like Daisy on Peach, Dry Bowser on Bowser, etc..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
made a couple mock character portraits for alternate outfits id like to see

here's toon link

and link

i also plan to do one for mario when i find the images

EDIT: ande here it is

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Firstly, I wish to see the return of Solid Snake. This is just an idea I had, but adding Liquid Snake would make an epic clone character combo I think. Also, I really wish Crash bandicoot could be in it, But I understand that Crash is in All Stars, So idk if that's possible. Furthermore, I would be thrilled to have another Sonic universe character, which I feel like could be very easy to add. Aside from sonic, I don't think more than two Mario universe characters should be added, as the Mario characters are just added up too much in my humble opinion. Lastly, Please add all the pokemon you want!!! :)

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Hi, Astraltar here again. This thread is about one thing, Retro Skins.

I for one would love to see some retro skins for some characters in Smash Bros 5. Wario was given alternate skins in Brawl and Little Mac had his wireframe skins in SSB4, so in that same vein, wouldn't it be a great service to Nintendo fans to bring back the option of some of the skins that were used in older games? Particularly I think Fox's design from Melee was cooler than the design used in Brawl and SSB4. And I liked the design of Ike in Brawl more than the one in SSB4. And i'm sure i'm not the only one who has such preferences. Also wouldn't it be nice to play Ganondorf, Zelda, and Link with the skins that they had in Melee. And as we know Link's figure in the trailer (released today) has hair indicating he's using the BotW design. So what will become of his TP design? Will they scrap it or will they keep it as an alternate skin option. I think it would be a great idea to just expand the number of skins and do this with many characters. Even Marth and Roy could get their slightly simpler Melee skins back. Some characters, though, like Mario haven't really changed that much, but given Mario Odyssey's existence there are a lot of alternate skin options for him. But even if they give him a bunch of new outfits (I'd like to play Mario with his explorer suit personally) shouldn't they keep the good designs from the past? And bring some back from the dead?

I haven't seen anyone discuss Dillon. He had a new game revealed today. I give him a 50/50 shot.
Actually that's not true, game was revealed last direct for Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
As the title says, this thread is all about discussing what potential alternative character slots we might get in Smash Switch. Think the Koopalings, Alm, and even likes of Lucina and Dark Pit. Dr.Mario-like clones can be discussed in here as well but are not the main focus.

I think it was neat about Sm4sh that we had quite a lot of these, but they where not used to their full potential. Sure in some cases there was just a swap of gender, but even that was a nice touch. It still took voice clips and modelling work, so it's still nice that they took that extra time considering it's lukewarm reception.

I have quite a lot of ideas for these alternative character slots, and potential clones. Combined with Custom Moves, it can make a character who's old and establised get a total new playstyle, almost a semi-clone. Which I think is awesome potential and could give us about 10 characters more to the roster, or at least the satisfaction of having 10~ new (clone) characters.

And there's quite a lot of popular characters to work with as well. And it really helps to add in a lot of new characters from franchises who are not very likely to get an all togheter new addition. So it really kills even more than 2 birds in one stone I feel.

Now for the actual characters... I'll post my ideas first, and then use this OP to measure the most popular of ideas as this thread grows.

:4fox:/:4falco:: Slippy Toad / Peppy Hare

Star Fox Zero is again, another Star Fox 64 remake and I guess that's what this franchise is gonna be all remembered about for eternity. So Peppy Hare and Slippy Toad thus become more likely. James McCloud can also be mentoined but he's far less important. If Fox and Falco are of similar builds, I could see Slippy as a Falco alternative swap easily, especially since frogs are also well known of jumping high. Peppy Hare in just younger years could be somewhat more like Fox. I think this is a far more likely scenario than StarFox getting a new character. (R.I.P. Krystal :sadeyes:) But of course, we need Wolf back first. :wolf:

:4sheik:: Impa

Let's start this of by saying that this isn't the only way Impa can be included, and it's definitely not the number one idea for her inclusion for me. She has a lot of potential, but seeing Impa isn't really present in all Zelda games and isn't always a young warrior but also an old woman she isn't a safe pick.

Impa as a Sheik alternative could work with both her Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword designs and both would make sense as such a character swap. OOT Impa due to the very fact that she's the one who trained Zelda to be Sheik. And Skyward Sword Impa due to her importance in the timeline, and the fact we MIGHT just one day get Skyward Sword HD.

There's also the possibilty of Impa getting her own slot as a Hyrule Warriors character, cause that Impa would be far more unique than the others. But unfortunately, I don't think it's alltogheter likely. Hyrule Warriors was a hit though, and a fighting game, and Impa was quite important in it. I'll just mentoin it here to show how flexible of a character Impa actually is.

Also, outside of maybe Midna, I don't see any other Zelda character to be a likely candidate same with StarFox's roster. So these are a good way to compensate for the lack of a true newcomer.

:4metaknight:: Galacta Knight

I'll admit, I know next to nothing about this character. I do know however, that outside of Bandana Dee there isn't really anything from the Kirby series that's likely to be included. Which is a shame, but Galacta Knight could be an alternative choice. His sword / lance thing should be a little tweaked cause it looks longer than Meta Knight's sword, and they might have to ditch the shield, but otherwise I think it's a good idea.

If nothing else, make him a Boss type character based on Meta Knight's basic moveset.

:4marth:: Alm

Yes Alm might also have distinct abilities from Marth, but he's the very first Fire Emblem Lord to really be based of Marth's basic design so that's a nice throwback. FE2 gets it's remake, and since Chrom wasn't considered "special enough", why would Alm?

Not only Alm could get included in this way, other Lords also could be an alternative character to Marth, like Seliph, Leif or even the likes of Eliwood.

Moving on:

:4lucina:: Chrom

I suppose Chrom can get his chance this time? Getting knocked out by Captain Falcon before the events of Smash 4 was laughable, and actually a good choice made by Sakurai. However, if Lucina gets a few tweaks from Marth to differenciate her a little, that could open a way for Chrom to I guess. They fight exactly the same in Awakening after all.

Also, it seems he's became more popular since Awakening, and he's a playable character in Fire Emblem Warriors. If Smash Switch is a direct port, he becomes even more likely cause of that because he's got a near damn perfect model going on.

I also think he could work as a palette swap for Ike due to their builds... :4myfriends: Ike's alternative character also could be preferable if Lucina doesn't get any changes whatsoever, or doesn't even return.

:4peach:: Daisy

I don't want to waste too many words on this, but I guess Daisy is very popular. She even got a Mii costume, and has been Peach's first palette swap ever since Melee. She's hugely popular for some reason, and would work well with Peach's basic moveset.

Just replace anything with heart effects to a flowerly sort of effect and boom, there's Daisy.

I don't support her on any other way, but this is a good idea as far as alternative characters go. Far less exicted about her than just about any other potential alternative character however, but it works for her so she should be listed.

:4falcon:: Blood Falcon

Face it, there's literally no chance for another F-Zero character ever. So we might as well use this, as it was handed to us and forced on us much like Peach's Daisy costume.

So that's just to give you a fair share of ideas what I had personally. I'll record the total number of characters suggested under this post if this thread becomes lively. As a general rule however, only use characters from the same series as alternative characters.
Alts, costumes, and clones huh? I’ve done this before and I will again.

Mario franchise:

Mr. L: Costume for Luigi
Dr. Luigi: Clone of Luigi/Clone of Dr. Mario
Toad: Clone of Mario/Peach. Get Peach’s neutral B and Down b, Ice flower, and propeller hat with combat that seems like a clumsier mario but not as clumsy as Luigi.
Daisy: Peach Clone, lose the float for a triple jump, use a kart glider instead of a parasol, kart wheels instead of turnips, a flower instead of a heat on the butt smash, and Taranga instead of toad.
Dry Bowser: Bowser costume
...Bowser’s Nightmare: (Dry Bowser Jr costume)
Birdo: Yoshi clone

-

Zelda Franchise:

Link costumes for different games. BOTW, OOT, Twilight Princess, skyward sword.
Toon Link costumes: Train Conductor and Outset Island Tunic
Impa: Clone of Sheik

-

Donkey Kong franchise:

Dixie Kong: Diddy kong with Donkey kong’s UpB.

-

Mega Man Franchise:

Protoman alt of Mega Man

-

Street Fighter franchise:

Ken and Akuma Alts of Ryu.

-

Star Fox:

James McCloud alt of Fox.

-

F- Zero Series:

Blood Falcon alt of Captain Falcon
James McCloud (the F Zero one) alt of Fox.

-

Metroid:

Dark Samus clone of Samus

-

Pokemon:

Pichu clone of pikachu
Raichu clone or alt
Wigglytuff/Igglybuff
Dragonite clone of Charizard

-

Fire Emblem:

Agree with Chrom as an Ike Alt/Clone. Mostly because he also used Aether in fire Emblem heroes.

Kirby:

Galacta Knight clone of meta knight
Gooey clone of Kirby.

-

I’m forgetting some.

Top Bottom