• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Alternative Character Slots / Palette Swaps / Clones

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Ninten should be added as a Ness clone with Beam instead of Flash. Then he can have an Ana alt, Ness can have Paula and Poo alts, and Lucas can have a Kumatora alt. They would use different weapons for their forward smashes but the animation can be the same. This way we can have all the PK/PSI users. I know it's never gonna happen but I can dream.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Reposting from another thread:
Honestly, I can see them releasing alts as bargain-priced (~$.75-$2.00) DLC packs. It worked for the Mii costumes in Smash 4; now they just have to extend that to the other characters. This is how I see it working:

Mario Pack:
  • :ultmario:: Explorer outfit, New Donk Black suit, both from Odyssey.
  • :ultpeach:: Wedding Dress, Casual Dress, both from Odyssey.
  • :ultbowser:: Tuxedo from Odyssey.
Zelda Pack:
  • :ultlink:: Soldier Armor, Ancient Armor, both from BotW.
  • :ultzelda:: OoT Zelda, TP Zelda, and BotW Zelda in her royal dress.
  • :ultganondorf:: TP Ganondorf, and a "realistic" version of WW Ganondorf (HW pulled it off...).
  • Included in this pack would be TP Link as an Echo Fighter retaining the Smash 4 moveset with some tweaks, plus OoT Link as an alt (sorry, but TP and OoT Link being current Link's alts just won't work).
Metroid Pack:
Pokémon Pack:
  • :ultpokemontrainer:: Ethan, Lyra, Ultra Elio, and Ultra Selene
Star Fox Pack:
  • :ultfox:, :ultfalco:, and :ultwolf:: Assault outfits.
And so on and so on...

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It worked for BotW Link cosplaying, but making TP and OoT Link right handed with the BotW based changes won't sit well in Smash.
I don't think most care that much, plus both have been right handed before, the Wii version of Twilight Princess and Master Quest for Ocarina of Time 3D.
Left handed Link is handled by Young Link and Toon Link, we do not need 4 Links.
OoT & TP costumes as seen in Breath of the Wild are fine, maybe even include the Classic Link costume.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't think most care that much, plus both have been right handed before, the Wii version of Twilight Princess and Master Quest for Ocarina of Time 3D.
Left handed Link is handled by Young Link and Toon Link, we do not need 4 Links.
OoT & TP costumes as seen in Breath of the Wild are fine, maybe even include the Classic Link costume.
We didn't need 3 Links in the first place yet look where we are now.

Besides, I want the option to play as an older lefty Link with the Hookshot/Clawshot, regular Bombs, and no double arrow mechanic. Wouldn't that be a perfectly realistic idea for an DLC Echo (bargain-priced, of course)?

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Besides, I want the option to play as an older lefty Link with the Hookshot/Clawshot, regular Bombs, and no double arrow mechanic. Wouldn't that be a perfectly realistic idea for an DLC Echo (bargain-priced, of course)?
I honestly think it would tick people off. What would he even be called? 'Lefty Link'? While I will miss the Hookshot/Clawshot and normal bombs, they'll both still exist Young Link & Toon Link, letting them feel more different then normal Link.

Beyond that, the only reason we have three Links is the Everyone is Here thing and Sakurai treating Young Link & Toon Link as different characters.

Echo Fighters also have the same proportions and the same basic movesets as the character they are an Echo of, Bill Trinen said the two different moves Dr. Mario has to regular Mario is why he's not an Echo, so there's actually no one for Lefty Link to be an Echo Fighter of.

I'd also rather have Echo Character Resources go towards different new characters such as Octolings, Princess Hilda, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Ken, Impa, Raichu, Dark Samus, etc, not a 4th Link.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I honestly think it would tick people off. What would he even be called? 'Lefty Link'? While I will miss the Hookshot/Clawshot and normal bombs, they'll both still exist Young Link & Toon Link, letting them feel more different then normal Link.

Beyond that, the only reason we have three Links is the Everyone is Here thing and Sakurai treating Young Link & Toon Link as different characters.

Echo Fighters also have the same proportions and the same basic movesets as the character they are an Echo of, Bill Trinen said the two different moves Dr. Mario has to regular Mario is why he's not an Echo, so there's actually no one for Lefty Link to be an Echo Fighter of.

I'd also rather have Echo Character Resources go towards different new characters such as Octolings, Princess Hilda, Impa, Dark Samus, etc, not a 4th Link.
He would be called "Classic Link" (no, Zelda 1-ALttP/OoX/ALBW Link is not officially named "Classic Link" by anything released by Nintendo), and I still think it's a great way to represent the other games that Adult Link has been in without radically changing his stance or moves.

Besides, we know that the Smash Ultimate engine has been built to accept nearly all the assets from Smash 4. Where's the harm in recycling the animations and models for Smash 4 Link to make Classic Link as an Echo? Although they have different stances, Classic Link could still share current Link's stats, and for his Final Smash, he would use the Silver Arrow instead of the Ancient Arrow.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Yeah that's not how echoes work, it's way too different from the standard link

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
He would be called "Classic Link" (no, Zelda 1-ALttP/OoX/ALBW Link is not officially named "Classic Link" by anything released by Nintendo), and I still think it's a great way to represent the other games that Adult Link has been in without radically changing his stance or moves.

Besides, we know that the Smash Ultimate engine has been built to accept nearly all the assets from Smash 4. Where's the harm in recycling the animations and models for Smash 4 Link to make Classic Link as an Echo? Although they have different stances, Classic Link could still share current Link's stats, and for his Final Smash, he would use the Silver Arrow instead of the Ancient Arrow.
I just really don't think it's worth it..especially having 4 characters with nearly identical movesets just to have the hookshot, normal bombs, and inability to pick up arrows..it seems pointless.
And while, yes, Nintendo never officially called pre-64 Link 'Classic Link', they did call that costume in Hyrule Warriors 'Classic Tunic' and it's how fans refer to the character..it'd be like how Microsoft called their last console the Xbox One when everyone called the original Xbox the Xbox One.

I doubt that out of all the potential Echo Fighters or Clones that many are clamoring for the original Smash Link. Like I said, it's more likely to annoy more people then please them, probably even more then Dark Pit did.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah that's not how echoes work, it's way too different from the standard link
Well then, TP Link (with alt OoT Link) would be more different from an Echo with less than the development required of an actual Echo. It's a win-win for players and developers alike.

I just really don't think it's worth it..especially having 4 characters with nearly identical movesets just to have the hookshot, normal bombs, and inability to pick up arrows..it seems pointless.
And while, yes, Nintendo never officially called pre-64 Link 'Classic Link', they did call that costume in Hyrule Warriors 'Classic Tunic' and it's how fans refer to the character..it'd be like how Microsoft called their last console the Xbox One when everyone called the original Xbox the Xbox One.

I doubt that out of all the potential Echo Fighters or Clones that many are clamoring for the original Smash Link. Like I said, it's more likely to annoy more people then please them, probably even more then Dark Pit did.
1: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/bandwagon

2:

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well then, TP Link (with alt OoT Link) would be more different from an Echo with less than the development required of an actual Echo. It's a win-win for players and developers alike.
I don't think it is. Like I said, it'd likely just annoy people to have 4 Links in the game for such a minute difference already essentially covered by Young Link and Toon Link.

He'd also likely need more time then an Echo due to having to do more to balance him in the revamped engine while echos, being essentially the same, require little to no balancing. There would be little payoff considering almost noone is asking for this.

The time and resources are best spent elsewhere and just giving Link his TP and OoT incarnations as costumes.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't think it is. Like I said, it'd likely just annoy people...
Again...

...to have 4 Links in the game for such a minute difference already essentially covered by Young Link and Toon Link.

I want the old bombs and hookshot on a heavy, older Link as well.

The time and resources are best spent elsewhere and just giving Link his TP and OoT incarnations as costumes.
You still fail to argue against this:

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm also for the classic lefty Link with normal bombs, hookshot, and arrows that can opponents can't pick up and throw back at me. Though I'm fine with Young and Toon Link being in.

In getting back on track I wonder if we'll have echos of different franchises. I could certainly see Pigma from Starfox being a Wario clone.

PigmaTrophyWiiU.png

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm also for the classic lefty Link with normal bombs, hookshot, and arrows that can opponents can't pick up and throw back at me. Though I'm fine with Young and Toon Link being in.

In getting back on track I wonder if we'll have echos of different franchises. I could certainly see Pigma from Starfox being a Wario clone.

View attachment 152239
Are you willing to risk another Ganondorf's moveset situation for this?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Are you willing to risk another Ganondorf's moveset situation for this?
You mean with Pigma? I don't see how that's a factor. I mean Pigma doesn't really have much to build off of as a moveset and Wario's moves fit him really well to the motorcycle to the farting. The only thing I would change about his moves would be his final smash which I think should be his Aparoid form.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Re post from a previous alternate costume thread, but with a couple more inclusions. My dream list of new alternate costumes. Some of them probably aren't realistic, but these would be the ones I would include if I were in charge of picking costumes. :p Bolded choices could be possible Echo fighters, and choices in italic would just be different named characters that fit into an already established slot. (Think Alph and the Koopalings in Smash 4)

:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne (Already have a colour swap of her, but they could go the extra mile and have her entire appearance and vocie as an alt.)
:ultbowser:: Dark Bowser from Bowser's Inside story, his wedding outfit from Odyssey, Dry Bowser, Meowser
:ultfalcon:: Dark Shadow, Captain Rainbow, his original appearance from F-Zero SNES
:ultcloud:: Zack
:ultdiddy:: Dixie Kong
:ultdk:: his boxing outfit, Mario Strikers uniform, Funky Kong
:ultfalco:: His SF Assault costume, his Melee appearance
:ultfox:: Adventures outfit, Assault outfit, James McCloud, his Melee appearance
:ultganondorf:: His Melee appearance (I liked that version's cape more than his current red one.) Twilight Princess appearance, Hyrule Warriors appearance
:ultgreninja:: Shiny appearance, Ash's Greninja
:ultike:: His lord outfit, his Vanguard outfit, Greil outfit that's in Heroes, Hector
:ultinkling:: Octoling

:ultjigglypuff: : Her green headband alt. from Melee
:ultkingdedede: : Buff Dedede from Star Allies (Masked Dedede is already his FS)
:ultkirby: : Yarn Kirby
:ultlink: : All versions of Adult Link as alts.
:ultlucario: : Mega Lucario (If he's not a part of his FS anymore), Shiny appearance
:ultlucas:: Claus (We got a colour outfit, but Claus' hair is different), Porky soldier outfit
:ultluigi:: Mr. L from Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers uniform,
:ultmario:: His Mario Sunshine shirt and shades, his Tostarena outfit from Odyssey, Mario Strikers uniform,
:ultmarth: : Sigurd, Seliph, Leif
:ultlucina:: Chrom
:ultmegaman: : I would have said Proto Man and Bass, but they're in his FS now.
:ultmetaknight: : Dark Meta Knight, Without his mask, (Galacta knight is already a costume now)
:ultmewtwo: : His Team Rocket armour
:ultness:: Ninten
:ultolimar:: Louie
:ultpacman:: Ms. Pacman
:ultpalutena:: Medusa

:ultpeach:: Mario Strikers outfit, her wedding outfit from Odyssey, her biker outfit from Mario Kart Wii, Shadow Peach from The Thousand Year Door, Mario Tennis outfit, Mario Sunshine outfit
:ultdaisy:: Mario Strikers outfit, biker outfit from Mario Kart Wii, Mario Tennis outfit
:ultsheik:: Skyward Sword/ Ocarina of Time Impa. Hyrule Warriors outfit, Ocarina of Time original outfit
:ultpit:: Dark Pi... oh wait. His original appearance from the NES game
:ultpokemontrainer:: Any of the other generation Pokemon Trainers
:ultridley:: Meta Ridley (Although I think I saw a little glimpse of it in Ridley's reveal trailer, but I don't remember seeing it as one of his 8 alt. costumes in the E3 build. Makes me wonder if there'll be more than 8 costumes this time around). Omega Ridley
:ultrosalina:: biker outfit from Mario Kart Wii, Mario Tennis outfit
:ultroy:: Eliwood, Alm
:ultryu::
Ken, Bearded Ryu, Akuma, Evil Ryu
:ultsamus:: Dark Samus, Fusion suit, Light suit, Dark Suit, Power Suit, PED Suit, Phazon Suit
:ultsnake:: Naked Snake/Big Boss , Old Snake, Iriqois Plisken, MGS1 outfit
:ultsonic: : Shadow, SA2 Battle multiplayer costume, Soap shoes, Sonic Riders appearance, Classic Sonic (Although there'd be proportion issues.)
:ulttoonlink: : Outset Island outfit, Spirit Tracks engineer outfit, Triforce Heroes Links (With the coloured hair)
:ultwario: : Any of his costumes from Wario: Master of Disguise, Mario Strikers uniform
:ultwolf:: Star Fox Assault appearance
:ultyoshi:: Yoob, baby Yoshi aesthetics from The Thousand Year Door, Boshi
:ultyounglink:: Young Link with his weapons/equipment from Majora's Mask, Zelda 1 Link, A Link Between Worlds Link
:ultzelda:: Breath of the Wild, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess appearaces
:ultzss:: Her green hair/Red suit from Metroid NES.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
This would be subtle pallet swap but I would love for Samus to have a SA-X outfit. Possibly one of the scariest enemies in the Metroid universe.

SA-X_Closeup.png

You have this passage for her.
"The SA-X. An enemy with my strongest abilities. But does it have reason? Probably not. It's just a killing machine. In my current state, I can't face it head-on. The SA-X is me, only heartless. I must stop it before it learns its potential and threatens the universe... " -Samus

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Crome would look stupid as a clone for :ultike:when he fights like :ultmarth: and :ultlucina:

Look at crimes sword and tell me ya you can use that like a great sword
To be fair, in Awakening & Fire Emblem Warriors, Chrom (& Lucina) has a much rougher fighting style then Marth, who fights with more grace & finesse. It's even pointed out in supports that Chrom has a tendency to break things when training. He sounds more fitting for Ike's movesets then Marth's.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
To be fair, in Awakening & Fire Emblem Warriors, Chrom (& Lucina) has a much rougher fighting style then Marth, who fights with more grace & finesse. It's even pointed out in supports that Chrom has a tendency to break things when training. He sounds more fitting for Ike's movesets then Marth's.
Going off that I’m thinking Roy’s New style Would fit Chrom better then it fits Roy. Causes isn’t Chrome fast and not a slow brute like ike

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping for a TP skin for both Ganon:ultganondorf: and Link :ultlink:.
The new Ganondorf model is a lot better looking then the one in Smash 4 :4ganondorf:, but I still prefer his design in Twilight Princess, with the armor and the beard...just fix up his face this time.

I also don't like Link's green tunic alt in this game. I'm too used to seeing adult Link having arm guards/gloves, chain mail, and pants.

Hyrule Warriors skins for either of them would also be pretty rad

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Going off that I’m thinking Roy’s New style Would fit Chrom better then it fits Roy. Causes isn’t Chrome fast and not a slow brute like ike
Maybe, but since Roy is still very derivative off of Marth. I'd rather go with Ike, who has no clones. Not to mention they had Viridi directly call out Chrom as being too similar to Ike.
Chrom could be a faster but weaker Ike, kind of the reverse of what Ganondorf was to Capt. Falcon in Melee.

Iridium

Smash Hero
:ultlink:: Snowquill Set, Ancient Set, Climbing Set, Royal Guard Set & Flamebreaker Set (he has a lot of potential picks)
:ultmegaman:: Rolling Cutter, Time Stopper, Crystal Eye, Star Crash, Wind Storm, Photon Missile, Plug Ball, Water Balloon, Dust Crusher, Salt Water, Black Hole Bomb, Napalm Bomb (he has a LOT of potential picks, like Link)
:ultpokemontrainer:: Alolan Pokémon Trainer (for male, in addition to female)
:ultpit:: Shadow Pit (like Dark Link), Three Sacred Treasures (well, he does not use them), perhaps a Hades recolor as a reference

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Maybe, but since Roy is still very derivative off of Marth. I'd rather go with Ike, who has no clones. Not to mention they had Viridi directly call out Chrom as being too similar to Ike.
Chrom could be a faster but weaker Ike, kind of the reverse of what Ganondorf was to Capt. Falcon in Melee.
Yeah but does Ike need a clone do we need another Ike. And a fire emblem awakening character

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
The Top #10 Alternate Costumes I Want To See In Super Smash Bros Ultimate (As Alternate Costumes And Not Included As Echo Fighters/Clone Characters) (Either Available From The Start Or, Unlockable Content, Or Future DLC)!

#1. Mario- Either His Outfit From Super Mario Strikers Or His Mario Tennis Aces Tennis Outfit

#2. Marth- Either His Appearance From Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon And The Blade Of Light Or Wedding Groom Marth (From Fire Emblem Heroes)

#3. Donkey Kong- Either Robot Donkey Kong (From The Donkey Kong Country Animated TV Series) Or Archeologist Donkey Kong (From Mario Party 2)

#4. Cloud Strife- Either His Appearance From Kingdom Hearts 1 Or Cloud Wearing A Shinra Guard/Soldier Outfit (From Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)

#5. Link- Either Ordon Village Link (From The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess) Or His Training Tunic (From Hyrule Warriors)

#6. Ness- Either Robot Ness Or Ness In His Pajama's (Both Are From Earthbound/Mother 2)

#7. Fox McCloud- Either His Outfit From Star Fox Adventures Or His Outfit From Star Fox Assault

#8. Captain Falcon- Either His Retro Appearance (From The F-Zero SNES Instruction Manual Comic Book) Or Captain Falcon Without His Helmet (From F-Zero X)

#9. Solid Snake- Either Old Snake (From Metal Gear Solid: Guns Of The Patriots) Or Big Boss/Naked Snake (From Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain)

#10. Samus Aran- Either Light Suit Samus (From Metroid Prime 2: Echoes) Or Fusion Suit Samus (From Metroid Fusion)

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
There are lots of good options for Toon Link in the costumes from Triforce Heroes, and I’d like to see some of them so we can get some red, blue and green haired Link in there. I don’t think we’re gonna see their defaults since they’d be too similar to four swords.

But there’s the tri suit in all three colors, and I’m particularly intrigued by the Ninja gi. We still don’t have our Asian swordsman yet! (per IGN’s suggestion of Takamaru back in the Brawl speculation days)

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
For the people who keep asking for Ness in his PJ's you do know that wasn't a thing in the Japanese version. He was naked. I would show a picture but I might get flagged for it.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
For the people who keep asking for Ness in his PJ's you do know that wasn't a thing in the Japanese version. He was naked. I would show a picture but I might get flagged for it.
He was naked in MAGICANT, but he still wore his PJs at the very beginning of the game.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
He was naked in MAGICANT, but he still wore his PJs at the very beginning of the game.
Oh that's right my mistake. But why do people really want Ness in PJ's? I can see why people would want Robo Ness but not really the PJ's.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I've always wanted Robin to have some kind of hooded alternative. He was always hooded in cutscenes in Fire Emblem Awakening, and he was also mute during them. So a hooded mute Robin would be good, as it provides ambiguous gender (although it's clearly M!Robin because you can't hide F!Robin's hair in a hood) and it honestly looks badass on him. Other than that, a Grandmaster alt would be nice too, and maybe a Grima!Robin in there for the edge factor. You could throw in their Fire Emblem Heroes alts, but M!Robin only has a Christmas alt aside from Grima!Robin, and F!Robin's Swimsuit alt is purely fanservice; I imagine it'd be seen and treated as the equivalent of Shulk's "Swimsuit" alt, but with more Lenny Faces.

As for echo fighters for Robin, Morgan would suffice, as they'd be slightly shorter and lighter and probably faster than him.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:: Twilight Princess & Hyrule Warriors
:ultjigglypuff:: Green headband
:ultbowser:: Dark Bowser
:ultwolf:: Star Fox Assault/Brawl
:ultvillager:: Skins with the hats they wore in the first game on the Gamecube

Top Bottom