• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Possible Newcomers and Veterans reveals at E3.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
You guys got your expectations WAY high. It's going to be one newcomer, like they have done in past presentations. I don't think they can reveal many more characters, because they got to save the unlockables until after launch, and there might be one or two more veterans left (WHERE'S MAH META KNIGHT).
Well, the new Kirby game just came out in the West. Meta Knight Reveal for Miiverse Monday? It happened to Zeda with ALBW.

Anyway, since LM is completely Ground Based, I think Palutena as a completely Air-Based Character would be a great balance.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
VETS:
Meta Knight
Wario
Ness
Captain Falcon
Gannondorf
(if not revealed)

NEWCOMERS:
Shulk
Palutena
Pac-Man
Ridley
King K. Rool
Mewtwo

Those are the characters that think have a possibility being revealed.
If Ridley, Mewtwo or K. Rool aren't revealed, I really don't think they are in the game. E3 is the right place to reveal those three.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Veterans:
Ganondorf
Mewtwo
Captain Falcon
Ness
Jigglypuff

Newcomers:
Ghirahim
Palutena
Sophitia (or Pac-Man)
Ridley
Leon S. Kennedy

I think they all have the presence of being revealed. However, I don't think that the veterans may be starter characters if announced; in fact, if you think about it, they may be unlockable and that's the reason they haven't been announced yet.

Ghirahim is the most likely other than Palutena because his theme played during the announcement video, which seemed very peculiar if you ask me. With Palutena, she's also a probable given. Sophitia has a likely chance to being in for Namco's representative, should Pac-Man not be in the game. I'm still bothered by the whole thing about Ridley and Pikachu on Pyrosphere.

And as for Leon S. Kennedy, he would probably end up replacing Snake if Nintendo decides to let another Capcom rep come in.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
You guys got your expectations WAY high. It's going to be one newcomer, like they have done in past presentations. I don't think they can reveal many more characters, because they got to save the unlockables until after launch, and there might be one or two more veterans left (WHERE'S MAH META KNIGHT).
We had 3 the first E3 for newcomers. I suspect at least that many again. It would be really cool if they revealed the veteran villains (Mewtwo, Wario, Ganondorf) and reveal K. Rool, Ridley, and Ghirahim for the newcoming villains

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Agreed. I think we'll get a few veteran reveals and one or two newcomers. My guess would be Chrom / Ghirahim, and for vets probably just Ganondorf, Wario, Falco Meta Knight, and, if he's in the game, Mewtwo.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Pac-Man or Ridley will probably be the big hype surprise announcement at E3 (a la Mega Man/Snake) for newcomers.
Other likely newcomers:
-Chrom
-Palutena
-Kirby newcomers
Likely veterans:
-Meta Knight
-Wario
-Ike (if he isn't cut)

Any unlockable veterans from Brawl/Melee/64 will likely stay locked for Sm4sh and will be discovered upon release.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
They revealed three newcomers during the first trailer AT E3. You shouldn't be that surprised that people expect more than three.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Yes, but that was the first announcement, they would reveal a few newcomers when you first see the game.
I'd imagine the general consensus is that, since the game is likely going to wind up dropping as soon as a month or two after E3, what harm is it going to do to reveal a few more newcomers, and finally confirm the return of some veterans? They're rapidly running out of time to reveal the stuff they're looking to reveal.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Never said all those characters were going to appear. Just a list of possibilities

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
My bet for E3 2014:
-Palutena
-K. Rool
-Shulk
-Isaac

-C.Falcon
-Ness
-Meta Knight

Last edited:

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Yes, but that was the first announcement, they would reveal a few newcomers when you first see the game.
Well there was 10 newcomers revealed before Brawl's release, 4 in the first trailer, the next 6 throughout development. 3 were revealed w/Sm4sh's announcement, and so far we have 6 newcomers announced. Now the final number of starting newcomers is unknown, we could very well only get 1 or 2 more newcomers, but there is likely a few more they are going to reveal. Since the 3DS game (which has the same final roster as the Wii U game) is coming out relatively soon after E3, they need to reveal either the rest of the newcomers at E3 or at least 2 or 3 more. In the case of the latter, last couple the week(s) or day(s) before release will see the reveals of the remaining starting newcomers.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Never said all those characters were going to appear. Just a list of possibilities
Yeah, but a lot of people were saying multiple newcomers.

I'd imagine the general consensus is that, since the game is likely going to wind up dropping as soon as a month or two after E3, what harm is it going to do to reveal a few more newcomers, and finally confirm the return of some veterans? They're rapidly running out of time to reveal the stuff they're looking to reveal.
I don't know how many more they CAN reveal. The rest of the newcomers are most likely unlockable and he's not going to reveal those in a trailer unless they're special.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
once again youre all talking as if you know the roster
Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but I have a 'source'.

Yeah, but a lot of people were saying multiple newcomers.

I don't know how many more they CAN reveal. The rest of the newcomers are most likely unlockable and he's not going to reveal those in a trailer unless they're special.
'cause it's E3. It's the last legitimate chance for the year to build hype for the game 'cept Tokyo Game Show, and that's in mid-late September. Chances are the 3DS version will be out long before that point.

Last edited:

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I kind of see the boxing ring getting 2 new skins.

The first is Dedede's ring, where it shows him fighting Little Mac. Metaknight appears from the rafters, swooping in and comboing L'Mac and DDD to oblivion. The next version is from Donkey Kong 64 where we see DK fighting Little Mac, DK KOs Mac by hitting him with a fully charged giant punch. The credits start to roll and we hear "K. Rool's "Uhh?" and his splash screen "K. Rool Barges in!" Heavy-metal Gangplank Galleon starts playing, montage of K. Rool fighting DK and the smash cast.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I kind of see the boxing ring getting 2 new skins.

The first is Dedede's ring, where it shows him fighting Little Mac. Metaknight appears from the rafters, swooping in and comboing L'Mac and DDD to oblivion. The next version is from Donkey Kong 64 where we see DK fighting Little Mac, DK KOs Mac by hitting him with a fully charged giant punch. The credits start to roll and we hear "K. Rool's "Uhh?" and his splash screen "K. Rool Barges in!" Heavy-metal Gangplank Galleon starts playing, montage of K. Rool fighting DK and the smash cast.
Stage skins would be cool. Like, maybe there would be a version of Palutena's Temple where it's destroyed like in KI:U. Same platforms and stuff, just aesthetic changes.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
If they want to hype correctly
Vets
Ganon(dorf)
Ness
Knight of the meta game
Mewtwo
C. Daddy Falc

Newcomers
Ridley
Palutena
Pac-Man

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
He is a stage hazard. If you can't face that, you're in denial.
I don't recall Sakurai saying "Ridley is a stage hazard, he's not a playable character,.. here you can see clearly him, you can see his fully body model, not only his shadow.. We're cool, go home". XD...

well, he did that with Waluigi, Starfy, Ashley, Skull Kid and others.. there's a reason for so much "mystery". I'm not fear to be "denial", though.. until credible evidence is presented =P

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I don't recall Sakurai saying "Ridley is a stage hazard, he's not a playable character,.. here you can see clearly him, you can see his fully body model, not only his shadow.. We're cool, go home". XD...

well, he did that with Waluigi, Starfy, Ashley, Skull Kid and others.. there's a reason for so much "mystery". I'm not fear to be "denial", though.. until credible evidence is presented =P
He probably just thinks we will hype about him being a stage hazard... lol

Cpt.

Smash Lord
He is a stage hazard. If you can't face that, you're in denial.
"We didn't introduce ALL the Assist Trophies in the Smash Bros. Direct. Here's Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western!!"
"The Assist Trophy, Midna!"
"I'll assist you with freshly-picked fruit from my town?! Congratulations on your appearance Isabelle!"
"Oh Uncle Andross."
"Never bully Cuccos."
"Kotake and Kume, appear in Gerudo Valley!"
- Sakurai

The list goes on and on and on. When Sakurai disconfirms characters, he disconfirms them. Ridley, E3 2014.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
He probably just thinks we will hype about him being a stage hazard... lol
Sakurai clearly knows there's interest in Ridley being a playable character. The fact that he didn't come right out and say 'By the way, Ridley's just a stage hazard/boss. Sorry!' during the last Direct, and instead, alluded to it and gave us no concrete evidence says that there's something there for Ridley that he's choosing not to show us, but wanted to let us know that this is a thing. Normally I would just consider it Sakurai being a troll as usual, but the fact that he does it several times in varying ways during the last Direct - Pseudo-Palutena and the Kremlings among them - lends credence to the idea certain characters are going to be playable.

Of course, the inevitable burning question is what are his plans for the ones in question? Why go out of your way to tease and troll like that, about characters that are popular and have been asked for for a while (Palutena not withstanding)? What does it hurt to just directly put that stuff to rest? People are going to buy the game even if Ridley, Palutena and K. Rool AREN'T in the game, y'know?

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Veterans
Captain Falcon
Ness
Ice Climbers
Wario
(assuming they don't get revealed prior to E3)

Newcomers
Isaac or Robin
Pac Man or Simon Belmont at the end of the trailer, a la Mega Man/Snake.

Plus some hinting to some of the unlockable characters in the game, both veteran and newcomers.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Sakurai clearly knows there's interest in Ridley being a playable character. The fact that he didn't come right out and say 'By the way, Ridley's just a stage hazard/boss. Sorry!' during the last Direct, and instead, alluded to it and gave us no concrete evidence says that there's something there for Ridley that he's choosing not to show us, but wanted to let us know that this is a thing. Normally I would just consider it Sakurai being a troll as usual, but the fact that he does it several times in varying ways during the last Direct - Pseudo-Palutena and the Kremlings among them - lends credence to the idea certain characters are going to be playable.

Of course, the inevitable burning question is what are his plans for the ones in question? Why go out of your way to tease and troll like that, about characters that are popular and have been asked for for a while (Palutena not withstanding)? What does it hurt to just directly put that stuff to rest? People are going to buy the game even if Ridley, Palutena and K. Rool AREN'T in the game, y'know?
Sakurai says that an enemy from Samus' past will appear on Pyrosphere, then shows what is clearly Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere while talking about other boss character appearances. Both of these can be explained by the fact that Ridley's model probably just isn't done yet. When you see his tail flash by the camera for a second in the Direct, the texture is really blurry and not detailed.

You're telling yourself that Ridley will be playable because Sakurai isn't outright saying he's a stage hazard even though he has all but said it twice. Ask yourself, why would he be saying those things, if Ridley WAS playable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Newcomers
Ridley
King k rool
Mewtwo
Palutena
Pac-man
Mii
A wtf character

Veterans
Captain falcon
Meta knight
Jigglypuff (only if mewtwo gets shown before her)
Ice climbers

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
That seems a pretty strange reason to deconfirm him. Toon Link was shown directly, so that one is reasonable, but you never even saw Little Mac. Why do you jump to conclusions about Little Mac so quickly yet deny Ridley so much?
Also, there wasn't any mention to Punch-Out series in the box ring stage. What I mean is Ridley is just being trolling, just like Toon Link and Little Mac were. Maybe it's a stage boss or an assist trophy or whatever, but if it's eventually a playable one, I wouldn't say "OH GOD IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE!!".

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
That seems a pretty strange reason to deconfirm him. Toon Link was shown directly, so that one is reasonable, but you never even saw Little Mac. Why do you jump to conclusions about Little Mac so quickly yet deny Ridley so much?
Don't accuse him. Maybe he meant others thought this.
But I never found it a real reason to deconfirm him. It was suspicious.
Also why would Sakurai tease a stage hazard. hat's kinda mean if he really were a stage hazard. It's also suspicious. I wouldn't count out Ridley JUST yet.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
guys... I had a crazy idea... Did you thought about the possibility that, between every game that Nintendo show off in their Digital Event at E3, they show something new on Smash4? I mean, preferably related to the subject,... like "X" and then Shulk, a new Metroid and then Ridley, DKC trilogy on Virtual Console and then K. Rool, would be very hype!... They wouldn't even need to stay focused in Smash to show a lot of stuff about the game. 8D

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Sakurai says that an enemy from Samus' past will appear on Pyrosphere, then shows what is clearly Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere while talking about other boss character appearances.
My guess is that he's referring to the lava.

What? Samus encounters lava long before she encounters Ridley. ;)

All kidding aside, Ridley has one of those unique distinctions of being one of those characters that Sakurai legitimately answers about during an interview.

NP: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?
S: I think that would probably be impossible. If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right?
"But ChunkyBeef," you sigh in exasperation. "That just says that Ridley won't be a playable character."

I'm so glad you brought that up! You know who else was said they'd never be a playable character outright, but still became a character? You guessed it!

The prosecution rests, your honor.

Top Bottom