• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #3 - Should Sonic Be In The Next Smash?

Should Sonic Be In The Next Smash?

• Yes, most definitely!

Votes: 315 43.2%
  • No, absolutely not!

Votes: 223 30.5%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 192 26.3%

• Total voters

Nurok

Smash Lord
Sm00th_Crim1nal said:
What I don't think you guys get is that Mario and Sonic have a HISTORY TOGETHER MAN. The only reason we are even contemplating his place in SSBR is because he is so well known and admired in the nintendo community. No one wants Solid Snake or Ratchet in SSBR because they have no history of closeness to the Nintendo franchises.
That is a very good point.Sonic and Mario DO have a histroy together. If i remeber correctly, back in the 90's, SEGA and Nintendo were HUGE rivals. And they made Sonic and Mario games left and right. So you could say that Sonic and Mario are "console rivals"
Which makes even MORE sense of putting Sonic into SSBR

Gate Everest

Banned via Administration
But it would be fun.

Lolololol. That's the main argument for Sonic, right? Fun? So why not anyone!

I just don't really like Sonic I guess. I'm more I don't care, but, leaning towards no still.

Sm00th_Crim1nal

Smash Ace
Nurok said:
That is a very good point.Sonic and Mario DO have a histroy together. If i remeber correctly, back in the 90's, SEGA and Nintendo were HUGE rivals. And they made Sonic and Mario games left and right. So you could say that Sonic and Mario are "console rivals"
Which makes even MORE sense of putting Sonic into SSBR
I know what you say is sarcasm, so I'll give you a real life example, huh? Ok lets look at two past rival companies. Capcom made Street Fighter while SNK made King of Fighters. They made very similar games but each with their own distinct feel. (now think platformers --Sonic/Mario--)

Down the road someone thought of this amazing idea of pitting the SNK fighting roster against the Capcom crew. What ended up happenning was Capcom vs. SNK. A very amazing fighting game that is in the hearts of all arcade fans. Now if you say that this could never happen (Sonic in SSBR) you are obviosly a. a purist fanboy or b. hate fun and variety.

That my friends is MY 2 cents.

Nurok

Smash Lord
Wait did you think what I said in my last post was sarcasm? Are you kidding me?
That was total truth. If you haven't noticed, we have the same opinion here.
Im not trying to insult you or anything. And i did vote for Sonic to be in SSBR so dont be flaming me because i didn't do anything.You just give more reasons for my argument.
SONIC FOR SSBR!

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
I would jsut like evryone to know that at this point, yes, it is foolish to assume Sonic would be IN SSB rev because Sega hasn't been announced as working with Nintendo. Also so very little is actually know about the game debating is pointless any way... Debate is when two people highly informed on a subject argue their point. No one here is Highly informed about smash because it's not exactly made yet >.>

This thread is all opinion.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
DooD@h said:
im afraid to post n e thing cuz if its something the moderators dont agree with they might get scared and try to find ways to ban me....twice
We didn't ban you because we were "scared of you," we banned you because you don't post anything worth reading.

The Great Marth said:
This poll of the week is kinda dumb.....sonic CANT be in this game so NO i dont want him in it.......
Yes, yes he can be in.

666 said:
Yes NIntendo and SEGA are basically parteners, but think of it this way SEGA still makes games for all three systems(xbox,ps2,NGC) so SEGA isn't only producing games for Nintendo and thats why (In my opinion anyway) Nintendo hasn't and will not use SEGA characters until SEGA produces only games for Nintendo.
So, you're saying that the only way Sonic can be in if Sega was a second party, but not if they're a third party?

That's not a reason. Give a real reason. If Nintendo approached Sega and said:

"Hey, we want to put Sonic in SSB3."

And Sega said:

"Ok!"

It would happen. There wouldn't be any of:

"Oh, but could you stop making games for other consoles? We'd appreciate it."

It's a non-factor.

DooD@h said:
activision,ubisoft,EA,capcom,konami,tradewest....a re all third parties for nintendo....and sony....and microsoft...as well as sega.....if hes in it, u might as well have gex the gecko Since he sold well on N64,or crash since hes on gamecube now too AND HE SELLS WELL.yes sonic vs mario would be an awesome battle,but it WONT happen.EVER.
You're STILL failing to see the main point here. Nintendo is not going to approach every franchise whose games sell well, because Sonic the Hedgehog is in a league of his own. Sonic the Hedgehog, behind Mario, is THE MOST RECOGNIZABLE VIDEO GAME CHARACTER EVER CREATED. He was Mario's BIGGEST rival back when they both consistently had games coming out. People who DON'T PLAY VIDEO GAMES know who Sonic is. But if you asked them who Gex is, they wouldn't know. Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the biggest video game stars of all time. Nintendo would approach Sega because not only is it a brilliant idea to have Sonic in the game, but because, excepting what some people here seem to believe, he would fit in with the game.

ONCE AGAIN, we're not talking about adding a bunch of third party characters, or even adding TWO. We're talking about SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ONLY.

DooD@h said:
OH and if u wanna talk about games that sold well,i guess goku and dbz characters should be in it too...ya know since every single dbz has sold extremely well on the cube.....SONIC WONT BE IN THE NEXT SMASH
Since you seem INCAPABLE of simple memory exercises, here it is again. We are talking about SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, NOT TOP-SELLING FRANCHISES.

DooD@h said:
3rd parties make games for all systems,for sonic to be in ssbr, nintendo would have to make a deal with sega where sega can ONLY make SONIC games for nintendo there after.
Wait a minute... who's this? Why, it's the Voice of Reason!

Voice of Reason: You idiot. No such deal would have to be made. Just because you make up a silly condition like that doesn't mean it has any basis in reality. Sega could EASILY lend Nintendo their character without having to make any kind of second-party deal.

McFox: Wow, that's one smart guy.

Iron said:
Gay marriage will ruin the traditional American family structure!
Thank you for actually making me smile while reading this topic. I mean, you know, on purpose. I've laughed at other people here, but not for the same reason. :)

So, once again Doo, you've proved that the most you are capable of claiming is an active imagination and persistence.

*EDIT*
Nightmare KoRn Kid said:
I would jsut like evryone to know that at this point, yes, it is foolish to assume Sonic would be IN SSB rev because Sega hasn't been announced as working with Nintendo. Also so very little is actually know about the game debating is pointless any way... Debate is when two people highly informed on a subject argue their point. No one here is Highly informed about smash because it's not exactly made yet >.>

This thread is all opinion.
That is true (about the opinion), but those of us who actually know even a little about the process of video game-making have more informed opinions than those people who make up stuff without actually knowing whether it's right or not.

And just so you know, Sega wouldn't really have to "work with Nintendo" to lend them Sonic. They would probably just check on the progress of the game and make sure that they are treating Sonic as they want him treated. And if they did do that, it wouldn't be announced.

Shadow1der

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say sure, why not? Sonic would fit in well with the cast of Smash Bros. As a matter of fact, it'd be nice to see a mascot or two from other developers, like Capcom...they've got an interesting cast.

EDIT: Besides, two totally different developers have done this before. For example, Capcom vs. SNK, and what about that Spartan in DOA4?

p1ck

Smash Cadet
DooD@h said:
omg u need reading comprehension classes...I KNOW MICROSOFT AND SONY ARENT 3RD PARTIES FOR NINTENNDO...I NEVER SAID THEY WERE.i said activision,ubisoft,EA,capcom,konami,and tradewest are 3rd parties for sony microsoft and nintendo....and so is sega u noob.3rd parties make games for all systems,for sonic to be in ssbr, nintendo would have to make a deal with sega where sega can ONLY make SONIC games for nintendo there after.and looking at the gamecubes sales and not knowing how the revolution will sell as well as its games,sega wont take that chance...they already went bankrupt once....

newgrounds and flashplayer?!?!?!.....yur such a moron.....nintendo and sega have no rights to those website u doosh.those flash vids are something some kid made up.

and when sonic doesnt come out on ssbr(which he wont cuz i just ended the debate)...well im not gonna say....(cuz kokichi might....well im not gonna say either )

thats just my 5 cents
Dude, do us all a favor and use some grammar. Just because Sega is a 3rd part for all the systems doesn't mean that Sega could let Nintendo use the Sonic license in SSBR. All they would have to do it show that Sonic is officially owned by Sega in the credits of the game and everything would most likely be fine and dandy.

Plus, Nurok said that Sonic vs Mario on Newgrounds wasn't a video game or created by Nintendo. So don't bash him for saying that Sonic vs Mario has already been done.

Last but not least, can we all act like we're grown up here. I don't know about you all but I'm 20 and reading posts that involve such pointless bickering is such a waste of time. So lets all be a little bit more mature please.

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
Mc Mang Fox X_x said:
And just so you know, Sega wouldn't really have to "work with Nintendo" to lend them Sonic. They would probably just check on the progress of the game and make sure that they are treating Sonic as they want him treated. And if they did do that, it wouldn't be announced.
I don't believe that. I mean it got leaked pretty early in Sc2's deleopement that Nintendo was working with them to put Link it. Mc farlane worked with Namco and made sure that Spawn was right, and Necrid (but I'm sure he was upset about the lack of a cape). I don't believe Sega/Nintendo would not leak the info.

And certainly I understand the basic rules of the trade. But at this point the STRONGEr argument (IMO) is against Sonic, due to the "facts" we have now... Don't you agree that getting a third party charcter is more difficult than simpley not?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Yeah, but leaked by who? Namco? Nintendo never leaks any information early that they don't want getting out. And Sega is the kind of company to comply with withholding information like that.

And I never said having Sonic in the game was likely, because it's not. I'm just saying that it's not impossible, as so many people believe. And wouldn't be a difficult process, and no special deals would have to be made.

And p1ck, you should join in with the bickering, it's pretty fun arguing with people you know more than. ;)

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
Certainly not impossible, but then again Master cheif being in it isn't impossible >.>. (some people aren't gunna get this and are gunna flame me, ohh well)

Technically this is an opinions thread, as stated, and my opinions is against sonic. I don't have much more to say, and i get my n00b dose in the smash rev thread =p so I'll TTY all later.

Once some more info comes out I'm sure we'll get a bit more clarification for or against sonic.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
They should make it where is you hit a and b together some random character from sega would pop out like toe jam and earl hit you then jump back out of screen again. I say the more characters the better. I'm a nintendo fanboy myself I got sweater air fresheners but lets get real guys it was the mechanis and enginnering that went into the little stuff that made us like smash bros guys the people that really care are the guys making out with other guys wearing striped shirts standing outside emo shows with nintendo tatooed on their knuckles.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
OFCOURSE, why would you ptu sonic in if you could. are you guys ********. i'm sorry but you cant hate on my man, sonic. imagine how crazy fast he'll be. he would be so fun to play with, he would probably be god tier. (yes some fighting games do have god tier) and ofcourse, you cant hate on having more characters to pwn with. it only makes sense.

-hiroshi

p1ck

Smash Cadet
I don't think it would be hard for Nintendo to get permission from Sega. The way their rivalry was back in the 90's has now turned into a very close relationship. Sonic has had more games on the GameCube then the PS2 and Xbox combined. In all honesty, the GBA has had more Sonic games then the PS2 and Xbox.

So including Sonic in SSBR is not ouf the question. Do you remember the April Fools joke EGM played on their readers when they said that Sonic and Tails could be unlocked in SSBM? I'm sure Nintendo and Sega noticed it and thought that it would be pretty cool if Sega characters appeared in one of Nintendo's most popular games on the GameCube.

I'm Pro-Sonic in SSBR!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
What exactly...would he...do? He can run fast and spin...hmmmm...

And don't give me that crap about "Falcon didn't have moves"..."Fox didn't have moves"...Sonic has "moves" but they all involve running really fast or jumping...Even if they could integrate some sort of moveset it would all be based off of moving bast and spinning (so basically Sheik+Jiggly???) Anyway....really really really dumb idea...

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
the grim lizard said:
What exactly...would he...do? He can run fast and spin...hmmmm...

And don't give me that crap about "Falcon didn't have moves"..."Fox didn't have moves"...Sonic has "moves" but they all involve running really fast or jumping...Even if they could integrate some sort of moveset it would all be based off of moving bast and spinning (so basically Sheik+Jiggly???) Anyway....really really really dumb idea...
You have a valid point there. But just because sonic has a limited amount of resources doesn't mean that good ole creativity can't step in to fill in the void. They could find some way to involve rings. Maybe as a projectile or...something. Honestly I was only a little bit of a sonic fan back in the day and when I try to think creatively with him, I just run into a wall.

McFox made a moveset, but I daresay, it was also lacking in originality. Then again he's no dev, so that's okay...But it does go with your point Grim Lizard. Making an original moveset for Sonic that also fits his character and the feel of his games, would be a hurdle, for anyone. And considering this new dev team might not have been hardcore fans of Sonic, they might also encounter the insurmountable wall.

However, If sonic were in, wouldn't it be great to see his alternate colors and Outfits. Imagine a Yellow sonic, a lime green Sonic. Heck they could even make Knuckles and Shadow as alternate costumes. Thus I would be all for Sonic having a Ground-digging move a la Knuckles. Since Ness stole some of his moves from other characters, Why not Sonic? Although it's not really the nature of Hedgehogs to burrow. :ohwell:

pink= quasi-intelligent deliberation [/rant]

And if Sonic were in, I have to disagree on the viewpoint that he would be a highly publicized character. He could just as strategically be made a secret character, and it makes perfect sence, since The Rev is coming out in the holiday season. The time when people might be more likely to spend that extra dollar for a 360, or PS3. From a business perspective, If sonic were a secret character, the buzz about him would probably be delayed until the post Christmas season when people weren't entirely broke from all the spending. Thus it would keep the Rev's and Smash Bros. games selling all thoughout the year for Birthdays and such, and maintain it in a high position in sales as listed by popular magazines, which might result in a few more purchases of the game by previously reluctant buyers.

Then again, the other strategy, going head to head against the competition might work best, with sonic luring in more holiday buyers. Or it might even backfire. People might be in the ignorant mentality of "Sonic Suxx so that game will suck" and then run out and buy a 360 instead. To me there's more here to think about than just whether he would make a good addition. You have to also consider what consequences might come about.

Rev and Smash Bros. will sell no matter what, to the people that are already fans. But I could just hear certain people saying, "Putting sonic in Smash was just Nintendo's way of saying they're washed up because Sonic is washed up."

However, there's also the supposed new demographic of gamers, previous non gamers and gamers, like middle aged men, who quit when games grew too complicated. And they would probably be attracted by the allure of Sonic since he's such a famous figurehead. I guess it would be a trade-off. Alienate some hardcore [idiot] gamers in exchange for turning new people into gamers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I promise I will take the plane right to all of yer lil houses, say your momma's hello and kick all yer ***** with the worst bottom tier character if Sonic is in SSBR. Ofcoarse this will never happen cuz Sonic aint gonna be in there and you all know it.

Ganon_Smash86

Smash Rookie
When the game first came out it was all about duking it out with nintendo all stars. And believe you me their are plenty of nintendo characters that havn't even been touched. No we don't need no stinking Sega, I think it should remain pure. Nintendo all the way.

Aiser

Smash Lord
freeman123 said:
Because they're Nintendo all stars.
They're a product of a third party game, just like sonic is. it doesn't take person of high intelect to get what i'm getting at.

I didn't know who Ness, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, C. Falcon, Marth, or Roy were until they were in SSB/SSBM. What does that have to do with anything?
Comming from a guy who grew up on nintendo that means alot of I didn't know who Marth and Roy were, in my book they're not Nintedo all Stars they're just third party characters that are there for the ride.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Aiser said:
They're a product of a third party game, just like sonic is. it doesn't take person of high intelect to get what i'm getting at.

Comming from a guy who grew up on nintendo that means alot of I didn't know who Marth and Roy were, in my book they're not Nintedo all Stars they're just third party characters that are there for the ride.
Yeah but Donkey Kong Country was made by Rare, this doesn't means DK is actually a third party character. Same goes for alot of other characters. Sonic is and will never be a Nintendo character so he won't be in the next Smash. Luckly it's Thursday... this tread needs to die.

pezaddict

Smash Lord
Sonic in smash? No way! Its the NINTENDO ALL STARS.
(Petey Pirahna deserves a spot in smash revolution, though)

Aiser

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong said:
Yeah but Donkey Kong Country was made by Rare, this doesn't means DK is actually a third party character. Same goes for alot of other characters. Sonic is and will never be a Nintendo character so he won't be in the next Smash. Luckly it's Thursday... this tread needs to die.
Yes, but were Marth and Roy Originally Nintendo characters? Dk was they weren't unless proven otherwhise.

Utaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Its_a_me_Mario
3DS FC
2423-2518-7011
I want sonic to be in the next game. It would be great to have a battle between mario and sonic. Also the characters from sonic like tails, shadow should also be in the game.

DooDah

BRoomer
I cant believe this disscussion is still going on.Doodah or is the only one who is sane in this convo people.And u banned him?????sonic will not be in the next smash.Yes it would be awesome if he was but he wont be in it.No matter what.I dont understand people on these fourms sometimes....maybe thats why i dont post.::SIGH::

Nurok

Smash Lord
5 bucks says that StripersOrBars is Doodah.
Sonic in SSBR would be so cool. Who cares if he is very fast and and light? They could put many restrictions on him, like he could have very low defense, or very low attack power. It won't matter because Sonic will be an awesome addition to SSBR. He is just so much fun to play with.

Kokichi Is A !@#$*%

my name says it all people and no strpes or bars is not me,hes afriend that went to mlg orlando with me....hi pete

Nurok

Smash Lord
Doodah, you're like a cockroach, the mods always step on you but you keep coming back to annoy us.
Someone in this thread has talked about Sonic being in different colors. That WOULD be totally awesome. Seeing a Black Sonic or a Light green sonic would be very cool.
SONIC IN SSBR!

Nurok

Smash Lord
You're not a Nintendo Representative. You can't say its not happening. Nobody knows until the game actually comes out.
I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just saying no one is sure if Sonic will be in the game. Many people are certain he will be while others definetly think he wont be. I think he will be. Like NKK said, its a matter of opinion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nurok said:
5 bucks says that StripersOrBars is Doodah.
Sonic in SSBR would be so cool. Who cares if he is very fast and and light? They could put many restrictions on him, like he could have very low defense, or very low attack power. It won't matter because Sonic will be an awesome addition to SSBR. He is just so much fun to play with.
Im sad to kill your dream but he will never be in.

Just in general:

SSB is a game for Nintendo All Stars, Sonic isn't a Nintendo All Star. So Sonic WONT be in no mather what.

Please don't tell me that Ness, Peach, Marth or whatever character isn't a Nintendo All Star, they all atleast had a reason to be in.

Still this poll wasn't that bad, it cleared all the Sonic fanboys from the SSBR tread. :p

DooDah

BRoomer
Nurok: But theres no data to backup that he will even maybe be in it. Theres at least the fact that there's only nintendo characters in SSBM now,to back up that he won't be in it. You're basing yuor opinion solely on hope....hope my friend

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
YES,OF COURSE,SI,OBVIOUS,DÚH,ABSOLOUTLY,OUI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonic needs this, he owes it to us for the crappy games sonicteam have released in the past.
and knuckles.(shadow will be a clone he could just appear in the color changing of the character....like Peach and Daisy)

.......later

Bailey

Smash Hero
I don't want Sonic in the next game because then wouldn't he be the fastest in the game, but I do agree the colors would looks awsome.

Aiser

Smash Lord
If he's gonna be in Smash he needs to be the fastest character end of story, otherwhise it wuoldn't do him justice.

Top Bottom