• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #3 - Should Sonic Be In The Next Smash?

Should Sonic Be In The Next Smash?

• Yes, most definitely!

Votes: 315 43.2%
  • No, absolutely not!

Votes: 223 30.5%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 192 26.3%

• Total voters

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Smasher, I want you to read the following, as you already missed it twice.

McFox9 said:
Sonic should be in SSB3. You know why?

...No, just be quiet and listen.

...No, I don't care if it's "Nintendo All-Stars" waa waa waah.

Cry me a river. Sonic should be in SSB3 because IT WOULD BE FUN.

I've seen the "*cry* But... *sniff* Smash Brothers is about Nintendo All-Stars! *sniffle*"

WHO CARES.

It would be fun.

There should be no other determining factor, from our side of the game. The developers have to worry about costs, collaboration with another company, etc. All we have to worry about is HAVING FUN.

Having Sonic in Smash would be FUN.

End of story.

Good night.
DooDahDizzle said:
.....thank u.....no BS about "its to have fun" cuz thats only one of the 2 reasons smash was invented
Let's see, "to have fun," is one of the two (?) reasons Smash was invented, so obviously, the next logical step is to support non-fun.

Please, try not to crush us mere peons with your vast intellect. It's too much for us to handle.

DooDahDizzle said:
thats the stupidest thing ever written.sonic games havent sold jack crap since the genisis.
Yeah, games that don't sell generally get re-released (Sonic Adventures 1 & 2).

DooDahDizzle said:
if sonic was in it i wouldnt be surprised if smash didnt sell period.
As of when you wrote that sentence, that would be the stupidest thing ever written. And that thing I said earlier about you being smart? I was lying.

DooDahDizzle said:
oh and if sonic is in it kokichi then crash has a chance too.yes sonic and mario were the two mainstreams back in the early 90s but mid 90s it was crash and mario.and now sonic is on all systems.it would be so ******** if he was in smash.that would give nintendo the right to put characters like tak or even TY the tasmanian tiger......sonic is a no no people,we have to think about the long run here and dont use the word gay negatively cuz it might offend some insecure moderators..........
Crash is and never was nearly as popular as Sonic the Hedgehog. And putting him in wouldn't "give Nintendo the right" to any other characters. Please, stop pretending to have enough knowledge to talk about things you know nothing about.

DooDahDizzle said:
and link being in SCII was an exception to the rule.namco made the game for all 3 systems and each system got a character exclusive.so there.
There IS no rule, besides that one you just made up. So there.

xianfeng said:
If sega hadn't put sonic games on PC and I think the other consoles (I dunno I only own a GC from this gen) then I would welcome him into smash and I agree that the two together would make billions and what not but Still sonic is like the non-sexual town bicycle eveyone has had him if he just appeared on Nintendo consoles then yes he should and would be in it but no he can't whilst he is on other systems
"He's in other games" isn't exactly a good reason to stop people from having fun.

But then again, I keep forgetting that people don't care about having fun, so long as that "purity of the series" is upheld.

Ugh.

DooDahDizzle said:
but like everything sonic touches...it would suck....
Yeah, because adding a character to a game that is optional to use makes it suck. You see that happen all the time, and it's a shame.

Oh yeah, and Sonic Rush is incredibly fun. Not that I expected you to know that (or anything of relevance, for that matter).

Seris said:
He would be a neat character but ,that would defeat the original purpose for smash bros.
Could you then kindly explain to me the "purpose" of Smash Bros.? I thought the "purpose" of video games was to have FUN. Obviously, I must be missing something. Because I was under the impression that the intent (or "purpose," if you will) of the Smash Brothers series (and all other games ever created) was to have fun, not to "uphold Nintendo purity." Because upholding purity doesn't sound fun.

Smash Lord
What would his moves be? All i can imagine is Fox and Falco's Side B. I think it's a waste of programming. I hate Sonic he's such a ******.

Krekko

Smash Apprentice
8000 said:
What would his moves be? All i can imagine is Fox and Falco's Side B. I think it's a waste of programming. I hate Sonic he's such a ******.
That's not very nice :p

with that, I think Sonic would have something similar to Jiggilypuff's rollout attack, but besides that it's up to how the dev's want to make him.

DooDahDizzle

Banned via Administration
ok to start mr tard.
1: sonic adventure 1 and 2 DIDINT SELL on the dreamcast so they were rereleased on the cube.i win,
2: Sonic is washed up and so is sega.i love sonic.i own sonic rush mr know it all.if sonic is in it then so can all other washed up characters.Crash,PacMan,and anyother character that is desperate for a publisher or even a development team to take them in
3: every sonic game that has came out since after dreamcast has been crap on top of crap.sonic adventure1 was the last good sonic game and it didnt even sell on dreamcast,so they hoped it would sell on the cube which it barely did.i win
4: SCII was on all platforms,its an exception.i win
so please stop pretending to know things u know nothing about.now come on come back at me with some stupid responses please....admins dont scare me

oh yea and smash brothers is nintendo characters only so there sonic wont be in it n e ways, nintendo made smash for nintendo characters and nintendo characters only

p1ck

Smash Cadet
I voted Yes. I'd love to see other gaming companies like Sega and Konami that has supported Nintendo consoles of the old and new. Sonic and Knuckles would be my choice from Sega. I think Knuckles could be a great character in the SSB format.

Also, I don't believe that Nintendo made SSB to "be a celebration of Nintendos history." I think it was a game that was created for people who loved Nintendo characters and wanted to see them beat the crap out of eachother. It kind of allows you to settle old fan created rivalries like Mario vs Link or Mario vs Luigi.

Anyways, I'd just like to see other characters in it. But it probably has no chance to ever happen, so don't worry about it.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It's a shame this guy is banned. I enjoyed reading his ramblings.

DooDahDizzle said:
ok to start mr tard.
1: sonic adventure 1 and 2 DIDINT SELL on the dreamcast so they were rereleased on the cube.i win,
Nothing sold on the Dreamcast, and you don't win anything.

2: Sonic is washed up and so is sega.i love sonic.i own sonic rush mr know it all.if sonic is in it then so can all other washed up characters.Crash,PacMan,and anyother character that is desperate for a publisher or even a development team to take them in
Nintendo would choose what characters to accept, not other publishers, you moron. Just because whoever owns Crash wants him in doesn't mean Nintendo has to or even wants to take him. Sonic the Hedgehog is in a league of his own when it comes to non-Nintendo mascots. Not that you know anything about how characters would be added to a game like this.

3: every sonic game that has came out since after dreamcast has been crap on top of crap.sonic adventure1 was the last good sonic game and it didnt even sell on dreamcast,so they hoped it would sell on the cube which it barely did.i win
Except for Sonic Rush, which you conveniently keep forgetting. And you still win nothing.

4: SCII was on all platforms,its an exception.i win
An exception to WHAT. You just keep saying it's an exception.

so please stop pretending to know things u know nothing about.now come on come back at me with some stupid responses please....admins dont scare me
You shouldn't be scared of me because I'm an admin. You should be scared of me because I have a brain.

oh yea and smash brothers is nintendo characters only so there sonic wont be in it n e ways, nintendo made smash for nintendo characters and nintendo characters only
Unless they decide to... *GASP*... change their minds.

F8X said:
It would be nice, considering he was designed for a 2d game, but it would ruin the game because it would no longer be a celebration of Nintendos history.
Having Sonic the Hedgehog in the game would make it no longer about Nintendo? I fail to follow that one.

8000 said:
You're entitled to your opinion, but Sonic is a great character. Here's a little movelist I'll throw together just for you.

A - weak punch
AA - one-two punch
AAA (repeatedly) - Kick combo- think Fox from SSB64

Atilt^ - look down and jump, sticking spines upward
Atilt> - long kick- Falcon from 64
Atiltv - trip

Asmash^ - spin-jump upward, knocking opponents away
Asmash> - spin-jump forward, knocking opponents away
Asmashv - swings leg around 360* on the ground

Nair - starts spinning, weak knockback
Uair - 360 flip
Bair - backward kick- Yoshi from 64
Fair - kicks both feet forward, strong knockback
Dair - similar to Yoshi's flutter kick

B^ - Light Speed Dash - A trail of coins appears, and Sonic flies up them. Damages similar to Samus's Screw Attack from 64.
B - Grabs the opponent and gives them a quick combo.
B> - Flame Tackle - from Sonic Adventure 2
Bv - Starts the Spin Dash. You know the Spin Dash, hold down and keep hitting B until you're charged up, and then let go.
Bv (air) - Bounce from Sonic Adventure 2.

See? That was easy, and I'm not even paid.

F8X

Smash Ace
Sonic would be cool, but since he is not limited to the nintedo consel it would not go along with other characters, like you won't see master chief in ssb, or jiggy in halo 3 it is not going to happen. But it would be great if he was in it. And that is a good move list :)

Sm00th_Crim1nal

Smash Ace
If Sonic gets into SSBR then this would be like Capcom vs. SNK :chuckle: . And we all know how kickass that ended up being. I mean common, who hasn't wanted to see the ultimate video game rivalry (Mario vs. Sonic) be played out?

Edit: Has anyone noticed how everone who posted in this thread has been on the boards for 6 months or less?

p1ck

Smash Cadet
F8X said:
Sonic would be cool, but since he is not limited to the nintedo consel it would not go along with other characters, like you won't see master chief in ssb, or jiggy in halo 3 it is not going to happen. But it would be great if he was in it. And that is a good move list :)
F8X, you still aren't getting it. Of course Master Chief wouldn't be in SSB. He is practically owned by Microsoft, being the fact that Bungie created him and only makes video games for Microsoft's Xbox.

Now, on the other hand, Sega makes video games for everybody's consoles. So that means there could be a possibility of him getting into the SSB Revolution. Just because past SSB games have only included Nintendo characters doesn't mean the Revolution version won't.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
McFox9 said:
Kokichi and I have been here for a while. That's why we seem to know more than everybody else. ;)
*Gives 9 the Rocket Power fingershake*

*Woogy woogy woogy*

FlareBlade

BRoomer
BRoomer
I´m afraid for that it´ll be too many n00b chars in the next Smash...
I think 25 char is much but when i play Smash it´s just okay, but when i see Joke Pitchure s of next Smash
I really thinks all the chars will destroy the funny think of it, but anyway...Sonic is okay for me =)

Aiser

Smash Lord
Okay if its Nintendos all stars why is Marth and Roy in it? Ness is more popular in my book then Marth and Roy. Seriously up until like 5 years ago, I didn't even know those two existed I was never the fire emblem fan. =T

meshwire

Smash Cadet
Nintendo does not own Sonic. I'm tired of people saying that Nintendo own Sonic. If they do, explain why sonic is on all three platforms. Example: Sonic Heroes. It will never happen and it should never happen.

meshwire

Smash Cadet
Nintendo does not own Sonic. I'm tired of people saying that Nintendo owns Sonic. If they do, explain why sonic is on all three platforms. Example: Sonic Heroes. It will never happen and it should never happen.

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
We're not discussing the obvious"inability" of sonic's apearance, we're discussing the blatant and sometimes stupid opinions people have.

I say, NO SONIC. If you get sonic, then you expect to get other big name Nintendo franchises not owned by Nintendo.

AND since we're not talking about the inablility, I say no because sonic isn't as cool a character as even the lamest character in Smash Melee. >.> IM (blatantly stupid) O

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
McFox9
That's why we seem to know more than everybody else.
Except me.

F8X
like you won't see master chief in ssb
Master Chief is owned by Bungie which is exclusive to Microsoft. Microsoft is competing with Nintendo right now, so of course you won't see Master Chief. Sega isn't competing with Nintendo anymore. I don't know why it's so hard for people to see the difference between a 3rd party character & a character exclusive to an opposing console.

xianfeng
Sonic won't be in it garunteed so i am happy
You shouldn't be happy, because you're going to fail English if you don't learn what punctuation is.

Aiser
Okay if its Nintendos all stars why is Marth and Roy in it?
Because they're Nintendo all stars.

Aiser
Ness is more popular in my book then Marth and Roy. Seriously up until like 5 years ago, I didn't even know those two existed I was never the fire emblem fan.
I didn't know who Ness, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, C. Falcon, Marth, or Roy were until they were in SSB/SSBM. What does that have to do with anything?

meshwire
Nintendo does not own Sonic.
Oh really? Nobody knew that until you pointed it out. All this time everyone who has been suggesting Sonic just didn't know Nintendo didn't own him. But now that everyone knows, thanks to you, no one thinks Sonic should be in it anymore. You just changed everyone in the world's minds. Just like when everyone in the world stopped smoking when they started putting warnings on cigarette boxes, because it turned at all this time no one knew smoking was bad for you.

Nightmare KoRn Kid
we're discussing the blatant and sometimes stupid opinions people have.
Such as...

Nightmare KoRn Kid
I say, NO SONIC. If you get sonic, then you expect to get other big name Nintendo franchises not owned by Nintendo.
Nightmare KoRn Kid
IM (blatantly stupid)
Well why should we listen to you if even you think you're blatantly stupid?

DooD@h

im afraid to post n e thing cuz if its something the moderators dont agree with they might get scared and try to find ways to ban me....twice

Ryuujin

Smash Apprentice
freeman123 said:
You shouldn't be happy, because you're going to fail English if you don't learn what punctuation is.
LMAO xD

DooD@h said:
im afraid to post n e thing cuz if its something the moderators dont agree with they might get scared and try to find ways to ban me....twice
Ok then why post at all? That was a really pointless post there >_>

I don't think moderators will just ban you for saying what you believe... Also why would they get scared?

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
The Great Marth said:
This poll of the week is kinda dumb.....sonic CANT be in this game so NO i dont want him in it.......
It's not about whether or not he CAN be. Would you want him in if he could be?

DooD@h

obviously everyone wants more characters but....yea i guess its not a dumb poll question....however!...

Smash Rookie
It would be cool to see Sonic in the new ssb, but ssb is Nintendo characters and should always be Nintendo characters.

Nurok

Smash Lord
The Great Marth said:
This poll of the week is kinda dumb.....sonic CANT be in this game so NO i dont want him in it.......
Why can't Sonic be in this game? As i am reading on Wikipedia, SEGA is a third party company for Nintendo. And if no one believes me, here is the link to the Wikipedia site.

Wikipedia: Nintendo entry

Now please everyone stop saying Sonic CAN'T be in SSBR. He definetly can be, since SEGA now has close ties with nintendo. Elsewhere in the article, there are many instances talking about the close ties of Nintendo and SEGA.
What this means is that although SEGA is NOT owned by Nintendo, there is nothing stopping Nintendo from putting SEGA characters in their games, because of their close relationship.(also elsewhere in the article it talks about an arcade game both Nintendo and Sega made. Its called Triforce Arcade System. Find it on the page.)

[Selling through more than 70,000 units in its debut week -- which represented 44 percent of total Nintendo GameCube software sales --"Sonic Adventure 2 Battle" is Sega's second Nintendo GameCube game, and its second success on the platform. Sega's Nintendo GameCube launch title "Super Monkey Ball(tm)" has consistently ranked among the top ten selling titles for Nintendo GameCube since its release.] From this website
This shows that SEGA is one of the third party companies that gives Nintendo is sells. And I'm guessing since SEGA has sold many games for Nintendo, it would count as one of the "Nintendo's All Stars"(if there ever was such a thing).

Lets hope Sonic would be in the game, making it fun. Much more fun then it is now, since Sonic vs. Mario would always be an awsome battle(the battle of the Gaming system Mascots).

That is my 5 cents.(I know this is a poorly achieved argument. But if you try and think about it for like a few minutes you'll see my point.)

Sm00th_Crim1nal

Smash Ace
Nurok said:
Why can't Sonic be in this game? As i am reading on Wikipedia, SEGA is a third party company for Nintendo. And if no one believes me, here is the link to the Wikipedia site.

Now please everyone stop saying Sonic CAN'T be in SSBR. He definetly can be, since SEGA now has close ties with nintendo. Elsewhere in the article, there are many instances talking about the close ties of Nintendo and SEGA.
What this means is that although SEGA is NOT owned by Nintendo, there is nothing stopping Nintendo from putting SEGA characters in their games, because of their close relationship.(also elsewhere in the article it talks about an arcade game both Nintendo and Sega made. Its called Triforce Arcade System. Find it on the page.)

[Selling through more than 70,000 units in its debut week -- which represented 44 percent of total Nintendo GameCube software sales --"Sonic Adventure 2 Battle" is Sega's second Nintendo GameCube game, and its second success on the platform. Sega's Nintendo GameCube launch title "Super Monkey Ball(tm)" has consistently ranked among the top ten selling titles for Nintendo GameCube since its release.] From this website
This shows that SEGA is one of the third party companies that gives Nintendo is sells. And I'm guessing since SEGA has sold many games for Nintendo, it would count as one of the "Nintendo's All Stars"(if there ever was such a thing).

Lets hope Sonic would be in the game, making it fun. Much more fun then it is now, since Sonic vs. Mario would always be an awsome battle(the battle of the Gaming system Mascots).

That is my 5 cents.
THANK YOU. Finally something to drill through these fan boys. Just look at Link in Soul Calibur 2. Out of place...maybe? Kickass...no doubt. ;)

Smash Rookie
Nurok said:

That is my 5 cents.

Yes NIntendo and SEGA are basically parteners, but think of it this way SEGA still makes games for all three systems(xbox,ps2,NGC) so SEGA isn't only producing games for Nintendo and thats why (In my opinion anyway) Nintendo hasn't and will not use SEGA characters until SEGA produces only games for Nintendo.

runaway_mario

Smash Apprentice
u should use who's ur favorite big name smasher. jus list a bunch of big names at smash and see what people think

oh yea and i think the characters should be of nintendo origin in the next smash

DooD@h

Nurok said:

That is my 5 cents.
activision,ubisoft,EA,capcom,konami,tradewest....are all third parties for nintendo....and sony....and microsoft...as well as sega.....if hes in it, u might as well have gex the gecko Since he sold well on N64,or crash since hes on gamecube now too AND HE SELLS WELL.yes sonic vs mario would be an awesome battle,but it WONT happen.EVER.

OH and if u wanna talk about games that sold well,i guess goku and dbz characters should be in it too...ya know since every single dbz has sold extremely well on the cube.....SONIC WONT BE IN THE NEXT SMASH

Nurok

Smash Lord
DooD@h said:
activision,ubisoft,EA,capcom,konami,tradewest....are all third parties for nintendo....and sony....and microsoft...as well as sega.....if hes in it, u might as well have gex the gecko Since he sold well on N64,or crash since hes on gamecube now too AND HE SELLS WELL.yes sonic vs mario would be an awesome battle,but it WONT happen.EVER.

OH and if u wanna talk about games that sold well,i guess goku and dbz characters should be in it too...ya know since every single dbz has sold extremely well on the cube.....SONIC WONT BE IN THE NEXT SMASH
I'm guessing you did not even feel like reading the article. Or ANY gaming article on that matter.
Sony and Microsoft are NOT third parties for Nintendo. They're the leading competitors in the gaming business. Why do you think there is 3 consoles instead of one? Nintendo does not have any ties with Microsoft or Sony for any games. That is why you won't see Mario Sunshine on Playstation or Mario Kart on Microsoft. It is because of the rivalry between these three gaming giants. (Although, i did not know that Crash is now on Gamecube. What game is he in?)
And stop saying the battle between Sonic vs. Mario won't ever happen. It happened ALREADY. Check out some of the Sonic vs. Mario vids on newgrounds and flashplayer.com.
So don't ever say it never happened or never will.(this is a joke. dont take it seriously. But the Sonic vs.mario already happened, not in games though)
Oh and by the way. Once Sonic DOES come out on SSBR, I will be laughing in your faces.
my other 5 cents.

DooD@h

omg u need reading comprehension classes...I KNOW MICROSOFT AND SONY ARENT 3RD PARTIES FOR NINTENNDO...I NEVER SAID THEY WERE.i said activision,ubisoft,EA,capcom,konami,and tradewest are 3rd parties for sony microsoft and nintendo....and so is sega u noob.3rd parties make games for all systems,for sonic to be in ssbr, nintendo would have to make a deal with sega where sega can ONLY make SONIC games for nintendo there after.and looking at the gamecubes sales and not knowing how the revolution will sell as well as its games,sega wont take that chance...they already went bankrupt once....

newgrounds and flashplayer?!?!?!.....yur such a moron.....nintendo and sega have no rights to those website u doosh.those flash vids are something some kid made up.

and when sonic doesnt come out on ssbr(which he wont cuz i just ended the debate)...well im not gonna say....(cuz kokichi might....well im not gonna say either )

thats just my 5 cents

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm horrified at the results of this poll. Sonic deserves no place in SSB.

Nurok

Smash Lord
I have just noticed my mistake.
Thank you for finding it for me.
and if I need reading comprehension classes, then you definetly need to take some grammar classes.
You definetly can not spell. Or employ ANY grammar into your sentences so they are at LEAST comprehensible.
And back on topic,Gamecube has sold well, i believe. I am not certain if it has, but I believe it has.
And how would you know that for Sonic to be in SSBR Nintendo would have to make a deal with SEGA to make games ONLY for its console? Seeing as you are not a Nintendo representative, I will not believe you when you say that Nintendo MUST make a deal with SEGA to ONLY make games for its company, since you are not a Nintendo representative.
Remember, no one knows the company NIntendo is working with to make SSBR.

Sm00th_Crim1nal

Smash Ace
DooD@h said:
omg u need reading comprehension classes...I KNOW MICROSOFT AND SONY ARENT 3RD PARTIES FOR NINTENNDO...I NEVER SAID THEY WERE.i said activision,ubisoft,EA,capcom,konami,and tradewest are 3rd parties for sony microsoft and nintendo....and so is sega u noob.3rd parties make games for all systems,for sonic to be in ssbr, nintendo would have to make a deal with sega where sega can ONLY make SONIC games for nintendo there after.and looking at the gamecubes sales and not knowing how the revolution will sell as well as its games,sega wont take that chance...they already went bankrupt once....

newgrounds and flashplayer?!?!?!.....yur such a moron.....nintendo and sega have no rights to those website u doosh.those flash vids are something some kid made up.

and when sonic doesnt come out on ssbr(which he wont cuz i just ended the debate)...well im not gonna say....(cuz kokichi might....well im not gonna say either )

thats just my 5 cents
What I don't think you guys get is that Mario and Sonic have a HISTORY TOGETHER MAN. The only reason we are even contemplating his place in SSBR is because he is so well known and admired in the nintendo community. No one wants Solid Snake or Ratchet in SSBR because they have no history of closeness to the Nintendo franchises.

Top Bottom