• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Poll* Have you ever been called names on FG?

Have you ever felt personally victimized by For Glory?

• Yes

Votes: 399 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 208 34.3%

• Total voters

Rinkario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rinkario253
3DS FC
3780-9024-1899
For my experience, I was playing on for glory and I got myself handed to. What I do sometimes is that I may send a friend request to some people that I have had many good matches with thinking that possibly we may have some good matches in the future. After a few more matches the same guy changes his name to "N***ERLOL". I was just like "Wow". That was really uncalled for.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I would love to insult noobs on FG but on the 3DS version there is no way to do that. Too bad because noobs deserve punishment!
You would be a part of the problem then. Stuff like that is one of the main reasons why For Glory is looked down upon.

1FC0

Smash Lord
You would be a part of the problem then. Stuff like that is one of the main reasons why For Glory is looked down upon.
I look down upon FG mostly because most people there suck. I admit that I am not a good player, but I own like 90% of the people of FG 1v1 so I prolly pull the avarage of the skill per player up.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I look down upon FG mostly because most people there suck. I admit that I am not a good player, but I own like 90% of the people of FG 1v1 so I prolly pull the avarage of the skill per player up.
Good for you. But what I'm saying is that insulting "noobs" would be a bad thing to do. Being a jerk worsens the online experience for everyone. Sure, there are inexperienced people online, but they're trying to learn. They don't need people like you putting them down when they're trying to get better.

Last edited:

Ham-R

Smash Cadet
NNID
LetsGetHam-Rd
Most of them leave an insult and then proceed to drop from the room, which is the common thing I experience. They also tend to go Ganon in the next round and spam smash attacks in the hopes that it might hit you.

Last edited:

Rauthian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rauthian
Got called "Spammer" and "PitSpammer." What was I doing? Reflecting his Megaman's every fully charged side smash with Guardian Orbitars. XD Poor guy never learned.

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
While it wasn't directed at me, when I started playing FG today, the first lobby that I was put in was with somebody who had a racial slur as his tag. I could tell it was directed to the last person he played against instead of him just thinking that he was funny because I saw him immediately change his tag back to his own name right after I entered. Needless to say, I made sure to leave before even playing one game with him.

It is always awesome to find somebody who has an amazing attitude whether they win or lose. Those are the guys who I always have the most fun playing against. Unfortunately, it is ruined by the vocal minority of people who type out obscenities just because they lost.

D

Deleted member

I just fought this Marth with Shulk. The beginning of the fight was unexpected...
He killed me at 57% with Marth's side smash tipper and I only did 12% damage on him. I didn't give up, however. I fought back, took out his first stock and I had 40% damage.
I played very carefully against him and I beat him.
Now, the comeback really impressed me because I didn't think I would really pull it off. But what did my opponent think? He simply said "U sUCK" and left. I fought him 4 times before and I won all of the matches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Yep, had it happen to me too. But whenever that happens, it's all the more satisfying 2 stocking them again. :p

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
When I played him, he played palutena
Palutena? It may just be a coincidence, but that was the character I used when I played against Nin*Kris. I was only able to get one match in with him before I had to leave, so he could have switched to Palutena after one match if he was possibly salty with me.

Just one last question. Did you face this guy on February 26? If so, then you literally faced this guy right after me.

Last edited:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Palutena? It may just be a coincidence, but that was the character I used when I played against Nin*Kris. I was only able to get one match in with him before I had to leave, so he could have switched to Palutena after one match if he was possibly salty with me.

Just one last question. Did you face this guy on February 26? If so, then you literally faced this guy right after me.

Nah it was march 3rd

D

Deleted member

I recently fought some dude, beat him twice, and the third round he changed his tag to "YOUGAY." (and I beat him in that round too)

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
The other day i died laughing cuz this guy got beat by my Zelda too many times, iguess:p

Quickly put up "TryHard" then left XD

Like- i feel like he's only insulting himself ,calling a Zelda player a "Tryhard" especially when he's playing as Luigi. Easily top 10 in the teir list XD Its so appalling i actually felt bad for a second .

to "Juice," Go step on a lego.

Last edited:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Warning Received
I guess the fact that I recognized the name as well as him using the same character as me just caught me off guard. Sorry about asking so many questions earlier.
It's cool, I like to expose these kind of people ;) so if you have any more questions ask away

The other day i died laughing cuz this guy got beat by my Zelda too many times, iguess:p

Quickly put up "TryHard" then left XD

Like- i feel like he's only insulting himself ,calling a Zelda player a "Tryhard" especially when he's playing as Luigi. Easily top 10 in the teir list XD Its so appalling i actually felt bad for a second .

to "Juice," Go step on a lego.
Don't people on for glory try? that was such a stupid cry for attention/whining, if he thinks you're gonna go easy or bounce around like a brainless player, then he should have went to for fun or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
This one guy who clearly only knew how to use Link's bow and smashes was seriously salty when I beat him 3 times in a row.
He displayed his salt with "F****T" (no censors), and "FKIN NOOB"
Naturally I had to respond, so I switched my tag to "UMAD?"
I kicked his ass again, but then I lost the second match after cuz he switched to Captain Falcon and was surprisingly strong with him.

There was this other match where I fought a ZSS player as Link (I'm practicing with him), but he would only use his blaster and grab followed by aerials, with the occasional fflip jump as a kill move.
I varied my approach and didn't abuse my projectiles. I did NOT camp in the corner with arrows and bombs and spam smashes and rolls or anything.
But then after he beat me he switched his name to "F**KYOU" followed by "N***A" (no censors for both)
I was perplexed, but then I just got annoyed because he would constantly blaster spam me and I didn't want to spam in return...
Eventually I caved, switched to falco against his Marth, and tried my best to ONLY use my laser, with the occasional jab or smash attack to knock him back. I didn't even care about winning. Causing so much salt for this guy made it satisfying enough.
He got super pissed afterwards, even though he won that game, and promptly ragequit.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I've never come across anything like this (Not that I was aware of, anyway). But I find it so funny that people get so mad that they have to resort to making a load of 10 character messages to insult people who they don't even know over the internet, who probably don't care, and will have forgotten in 5 minutes anyway.

I sometimes use tags to communicate with people, but never in a bad way. I literally have...

I'm_Random: If I'm using a random character, rather than someone I've chosen.
GG~Bro: I will always use this before leaving a room, and if a match was particularly good or fun to play, before switching back to my actual tag.
LOL: Pretty obvious. I made it after a certain match online where something insane happened.

Some people get so salty over nothing. Just calm your mammary glands and chill, have fun, it's just a damn game.

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
I usually use the tag GRAYFOX while on FG. There was this guy who changed his tag to GAYFOX after one match. I find it funny people get salty because when somebody has a close win or utterly destroys me, I add them in hopes to play again.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I've been hit with the "LOL" tag after losing too many times to even count, especially by Ness players. It got so bad, that I eventually started doing it, unless it was a close match that I legitimately enjoyed. I'm aware that I'm actually part of the problem now, but it's completely disheartening to know that there are more people who would rather tell a player to "GET GUD" than say a courteous "Good game" or something like that, or just not say anything at all and have fun with the game. It's a vicious cycle and it only makes me more anxious for online tournament mode to come out.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
This is happening more and more and more often. I keep an LOL tag handy - used to be for funny things that happened. Now I use it to show my feelings toward name-calling.

It only gets to me when I lose and they proceed to rub my nose in it by telling me I'm bad or something.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't particularly called any names for losing; rather, I was told I suck because I won.

My very first Smash U FG match was where that happened. I wasn't playing extremely well... I am far from a pro. I was just playing well enough to destroy my opponent, that's all.

So after the first match, he renamed his tag to "USUK." I hadn't considered it being anything but an alternate name. So I beat his patheticness again. This time, he renamed himself, "USTILLSUK."

...Ah. So THAT'S your game. Once I realized what he was trying to say, I rematched him one last time just to kick his *** out of spite.

I seriously hate people like that... But, even though I was insulted, I just didn't take it that seriously. I mean yes, it was annoying for like five minutes, but then I just laughed it off. If being told I "SUK" because I won is supposed to be taken seriously, I'd hate to see how I'm supposed to react to a close friend or family member dying.

There's absolutely no way you can force people to stop acting like two-year-olds, especially online. Realizing this, I just like to let things go nowadays (unless I'm at my limit).
You're lucky your opponent was willing to even rematch. I get called names just because I keep using a counter special move on them because they try to perform a cheap grab combo on me over and over thinking as if it was the only way to win.

Also 3DS has by far the biggest bloc of 12 year olds you'll ever see.

Last edited:

Typhlosion09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Typhlosion09
3DS FC
0473-9119-9001
In For Glory doubles, I met this guy who used the tag "IAMTHEBEST" when he won, and "YOUALLSUCK" or "USHOULDDIE" when he lost. After one match, he said "IWANTCHRIS" (me) and we ended up on the same team. He left after that.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
A few days ago, I beat using :4pikachu: and :4sheik: somebody 3 times in a row and the fights were kinda close. He must've been salty off about me beating him and used a tag YOU SUCK to insut me. Like dude, you just lost to me 3 times, you're no better than I am. For these kind of people, I made my own counter tag saying GIT GUD.

I shouldn't be touching For Glory at all. Even though I hate this mode and I think its worsening my skill, I can't stop going there.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
A few days ago, I beat using :4pikachu: and :4sheik: somebody 3 times in a row and the fights were kinda close. He must've been salty off about me beating him and used a tag YOU SUCK to insut me. Like dude, you just lost to me 3 times, you're no better than I am. For these kind of people, I made my own counter tag saying GIT GUD.

I shouldn't be touching For Glory at all. Even though I hate this mode and I think its worsening my skill, I can't stop going there.
go to smash ladder xd
Getting on the topic this is getting more common each time the good thing is i have the NOJOHNS tag

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Same, it's like eating candy till you're sick.

But it's easier because you can just turn the game on and play. Don't have to get on your PC, and find a match, and add a friend (unless they're already your friend, of course), THEN start a game...it's instant gratification - at the expense of knowing you might not be getting the best possible online experience.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
Same, it's like eating candy till you're sick.

But it's easier because you can just turn the game on and play. Don't have to get on your PC, and find a match, and add a friend (unless they're already your friend, of course), THEN start a game...it's instant gratification - at the expense of knowing you might not be getting the best possible online experience.
its like when you pay a cheap thing because is the most nearby to your area while anthers ladder is more like paying shipping from japan xd

D

Deleted member

Me and my bro were practicing are horrible double:4drmario: play in teams For Glory and barely lost, so these other guys decided to call say "These Kids" and "Suck D----" (I'm sure you can fill in the blanks). We proceeded to whoop them with our mains and just left.

The only times I call other people names are when I play Ness Spammers in teams who only use PK Fire, PK Rocket, Back Throw, and how could I forget Rolling, beat their dumb spam, and bust out a NessSpam tag. Hopefully they improve their game to other characters or just play Ness for real instead of abusing the dumb no team attack ruleset.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I've gotten the name "BellFagt" three or four times surprisingly, all from different people. I always ring the bell before a match which apparently gets under people's skin for some reason or another.

JNET

Smash Cadet
NNID
Traeks
Had a match yesterday.. came in to a guy with the tag 'GET~REKT!' so I knew something interesting would ensue.... He started :4ganondorf:, I proceeded to 2 stock him... so he changed his tag to 'Lucky' and tried to :4falcon: ditto me.. 2 stocked him again, so he kept the tag 'Lucky' and switched to :4link: the next match. Would have been a 2 stock.. but I SD'd like a baws to which he taunted, (lol) so I gave him the :4falcon: spike of justice. He changed his tag to P**** and fought me one more time with :4link: where I 2 stocked him and he proceeded to rage quit.

Have had some other encounters but figured I'd share this one since it just happened. Lol There is some special people out there. I just have tags with compliments, no need to feed the trolls.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
A while back I fought an annoying Diddy/Ness that would taunt after every single kill. When I finally managed to beat him, he changed his name to "UJUSTSPAM," even though I didn't spam any specific move at all (ironic since all he kept trying to do was Diddy's d-throw -> u-air and pk-fire).

I fought him again, got him to 1 stock, then hit him once while he tried to recover via Diddy's side-b. He messed up his recovery and died with less than 10%. He left right after that.

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
For the first time in months I have been called a dumbass for beating a Dr. Mario with Duck Hunt.

You know, somebody with a CAPE.

TABLE SALT I GOT TABLE SALT

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I have been on both sides. I've dealt the name calling and have taken the name calling. Admittedly, I never thought I'd be the kind of person to hurl insults (nothing severe, just like "Tool" if someone's trying to rub it in [And if you were one of those people I insulted, I want to personally apologize. It was more of a "heat of the moment" reaction than anything and it's nothing personal, but I am managing myself better]). I've scaled it down a lot, but yeah FG can have a negative influence on how people perceive the Smash fanbase.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
I usually come across this on 2v2. I only play it with my cousin and we're just about the same skill level, I'm better with the characters I use and he's better with more characters than me. We like to go on there and use characters we like to use and sometimes we'll lose a match or 2 and the other team wI'll spam messagers like "udone? Getrekt Owned Ect...." and then we use our actual doubles combo and we win and they leave. I think it is stupid, I think its also a little insalting how you can beat someone 4 times in a row while neither one of us is being a scumbag but then they win 1 game and they leave. Idk, it might just be me but that annoys me a little.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I was playing 2v2 FG with my brother today when we ran into these guys

Even before we actually fought them, the one on the right kept changing his name to things such as "U SUK", "Pathetic!", and "AWFUL!" (they called us like 6 different names). We lost the first time since we were trying out characters we didn't really play as, but then completely destroyed them.

I wonder what must go on in real life every time they join a match. "Ok, as soon as we join, say the opponents are terrible even if we didn't fight them yet!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom