• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Poll* Have you ever been called names on FG?

Have you ever felt personally victimized by For Glory?

• Yes

Votes: 399 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 208 34.3%

• Total voters

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Damn. Talk about salty, jeez. Just for losing, a report is something uncalled for. Some people need to chill with using that option.

:rolleyes:.
Now all I can think of are the <10 year olds on CoD and Minecraft... (>.<)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Sadly, yeah. No wonder people see them as negatively as they do. Dang.

It is kind of scary how easily someone can report if they know of the option, and are salty enough to go through with it.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, yeah. No wonder people see them as negatively as they do. Dang.

It is kind of scary how easily someone can report if they know of the option, and are salty enough to go through with it.
It's not like it's going to go through every time. It's not like Miiverse, where you get automatically permabanned for saying "PM" because that's the abbreviation for Project M; but in reality, you're only trying to denote the time.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It's the first time I've ever seen anyone use "LOWTIERFAG" as an insult towards me. Usually it's the high tiers that get that kind of hate. I found it funny considering the insult came from a Charizard player and I was using ROB against them the whole time. Dat salt.

It's not like it's going to go through every time. It's not like Miiverse, where you get automatically permabanned for saying "PM" because that's the abbreviation for Project M; but in reality, you're only trying to denote the time.
I've heard about Miiverse banning people for silly reasons, but that is by far the silliest.

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
It's the first time I've ever seen anyone use "LOWTIERFAG" as an insult towards me. Usually it's the high tiers that get that kind of hate. I found it funny considering the insult came from a Charizard player and I was using ROB against them the whole time. Dat salt.
I bet if 8bitman heard that, he would crack up. I've never been called a low tier fgt or anything like that, although I have used Ganon and pre-patch Mewtwo on FG before.

Last edited:

DJ-Hotwings

Smash Rookie
NNID
DragonKid73
Many times. Playing as Sonic is a very quick way to gain ire. Took me months to get Sonic down and often FG matches ended with name calling or people switching to Diddy Kong (Back in the dark days of Pre-Patch Diddy) or just plain switching to a bad playstyle and trying to beat me, then changing their name to an insult if I win or calling me a "scrub" if I lose.
Doesn't help that I've been stuck in a sort of stagnate in terms of skill. Hard for me to get better when I always get anxious when I play with other players.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Oh, man, I've got to share this one. Just finished playing some ROB on FG. For whatever arbitrary reason, I felt like scrolling through all my secondaries in a best two out of three style - changing characters once I or he got two wins. He didn't like that, evidently, and started showing increasing exasperation through his tags with each switch that I wouldn't use my main, starting with "Sigh", then "Nah.", and repeatedly taunting and teabagging in the middle of combat. He apparently thought Donkey Kong was my main, because he started using "RIPURMAIN!" after beating him. This eventually culminated in him deciding to pull out the big guns, the sickest of all burns, the nastiest of all insults, the tag....

"UglyLilBoy".

I lost it. Never change, For Glory.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Oh, man, I've got to share this one. Just finished playing some ROB on FG. For whatever arbitrary reason, I felt like scrolling through all my secondaries in a best two out of three style - changing characters once I or he got two wins. He didn't like that, evidently, and started showing increasing exasperation through his tags with each switch that I wouldn't use my main, starting with "Sigh", then "Nah.", and repeatedly taunting and teabagging in the middle of combat. He apparently thought Donkey Kong was my main, because he started using "RIPURMAIN!" after beating him. This eventually culminated in him deciding to pull out the big guns, the sickest of all burns, the nastiest of all insults, the tag....

"UglyLilBoy".

Sh*t, dude! That's more than just stereotypical FG salt. And I thought I was fiercely competitive. It's hilarious seeing them try to insult you just because you're clearly superior to them.

KirbCider

Smash Ace

"UglyLilBoy".

Like I've said before, I think For Glory is starting to become 3rd Grade with insults like that. I've even seen a "URPOOP" insult before. I think they're sticking to tame Tags possibly because they think it'll keep them from getting banned if reported? Who really knows.

It also shames me to hear that a ROB main had did that to you. He brings shame to his own kind... :4rob:

Fledge

Smash Cadet
Some people can be really ego-massaging juvenile jackasses online. It especially sucks when there's obvious lag, you're playing a twitch-sensitive character and can't get off most of your moves, you lose and your opponent blitheringly decides to be a cocky douche regardless. That's life! :p People can be jerks and it comes with the territory.

There are ways to deal with and mitigate it, I suppose. You can limit the number of matches you play against people so it never comes to that, I find playing best 2 out of 3 usually gives a good satisfying feel for the matchup and a decisive verdict on any bad effects of lag. You can message back a detractor with a good biting riposte, maybe "USALTY?", "UMADBRUH", "GITGUD", "WHINYBABY", or take the high road and brush it off with a "LOL" or something. If you happen to main multiple characters, you can also mix it up regularly so they can see you're actually diverse in your play and not simply abusing one characters "spammy" or "broken" nature. In the worst case you can always leave, suck it up and move on to better opponents, or if it's really bad report the player.

Also, despite its inherent potential for abuse, the name system can be used for positive communication as well. I've given and gotten lots of "URGOOD", "GGS", "LOLAWESOME", "RESPECT", "NOICE" in many, many matches. And in instances where I've won but I think it's because of lag, I let the person know that I think it's a "LAGWIN" or "SLIGHTLAG" to intimate that I think the match should have gone differently or could have gone in their favor (when you lose it's hard to express lag issues without looking/feeling like a bad sport, though, so in those instances I simply say "GG" and leave). Nowadays actually I find way more props being given all around than people being jerks, which I think is great and a good reflection on the community.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There was this Dedede I fought the other night who had the tag "imagrub"...whatever the **** that means. Anyways, match starts, lasted like a minute and a half or so, I beat him, returned to the CSS and noticed he changed his tag to something. I didn't get a good look as to what exactly (because I was looking at my iPad for any interesting **** around), whether it was a compliment or insult, but considering he was a taunter I assumed it had to be something hostile. Didn't waste any time for me to leave.

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
I've been referred to as "TRASH" and "GARBAGE" by a multitude of people. Some even told me to "QUITGAME". What's funny is that I don't even say/do anything to get this kind of treatment. Usually if I do something, it's payback in some form (like trying to use my characters against me, etc). I even remember the characters those people used, I remember a :4duckhunt:, some :4mario:s, and a :4ryu:did this. Win or lose, I still get salt regardless. The FG life is so great am I right?

I think I'll stick to offline, or better yet, learn from people in different avenues (Character Discords, forums, etc.). It'll probably be better for my growth as a player.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I've been referred to as "TRASH" and "GARBAGE" by a multitude of people. Some even told me to "QUITGAME". What's funny is that I don't even say/do anything to get this kind of treatment. Usually if I do something, it's payback in some form (like trying to use my characters against me, etc). I even remember the characters those people used, I remember a :4duckhunt:, some :4mario:s, and a :4ryu:did this. Win or lose, I still get salt regardless. The FG life is so great am I right?

I think I'll stick to offline, or better yet, learn from people in different avenues (Character Discords, forums, etc.). It'll probably be better for my growth as a player.
Just go to Anther's Ladder.

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Yes, but only once. I proceded to 0-death him on the second stock in the most disrespectful maner possible.

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
Usually happens when I'm playing around with characters I don't usually play. After they try calling me a few names I just switch over to one of my mains and play EXTREMELY defensively and campy just to piss them off. I manage to 0 to Death a guy and then stall him out until the timer went out and I was still at 0%. From there the name calling got worse but I actually felt a lot crappier for doing what I did despite him pissing me off to do so. Also for you information if you're this person, my mother wouldn't go anywhere near you.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
A Kirby who taunted and teabagged told me "U SUCK MOE", "GIT GUD" and "FAKE FOX" after he beat me. Worst part is that there was an intense amount of lag the whole match but he acted like it was no big deal.
Eh...could've been worse had I chose to go another around with him.

I don't get the "FAKE FOX" tag though, considering I don't main Fox or whatever the **** that means.

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
A Kirby who taunted and teabagged told me "U SUCK MOE", "GIT GUD" and "FAKE FOX" after he beat me. Worst part is that there was an intense amount of lag the whole match but he acted like it was no big deal.
Eh...could've been worse had I chose to go another around with him.

I don't get the "FAKE FOX" tag though, considering I don't main Fox or whatever the **** that means.
Might be a reference to Melee Fox? Because Rosa and Cloud are two of the best characters in Sm4sh.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Might be a reference to Melee Fox? Because Rosa and Cloud are two of the best characters in Sm4sh.
Then he got it all wrong. Rosa and Cloud being the best in Sm4sh isn't the reason why I main them.

Linkip

Smash Cadet
Most people i meet are pretty nice but some have done this sort of thing. Just not many.

I met this one guy who said spam when i was using Side-B as Lucas. You know his best neutral move and his best move for zoning. He then quit.

Or just a few days ago when i was playing as Ganondorf and was doing Side-B reads. And he was really easy to read so i got it.. A lot. He also accused me of spam and quit.

But other then that my FG experience has had more gg then lag or spam which is a good thing.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Just now I was in this Team For Glory server, the only part of For Glory I thought that couldn't be as bad as regular For Glory. This Yoshi joined. He wasn't necessarily the worst player I have ever seen, but he wasn't exactly amazing either. I was just playing the game as usual, until he managed to land a Forward Air on me. Normally it would have been fine, but he taunted and sandbagged after. For what, you may ask? Oh, nothing at all. That's right. He taunted AND sandbagged a random stranger for simply playing. Don't aim the pitchforks at me just yet; I didn't taunt and sandbag him first. In fact, I would never do that. I play videogames for fun, not to be rude towards other people I haven't even met. It was at that point in time I decided to leave the server immediately after, but not before returning the favor. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? "Treat others the way you want to be treated", and all that? Do they just not teach them this anymore, or does it just go in one ear and out the other? So yes, I managed to take a stock from him with an Up Air, and I proceeded to return the favor. After the match, I turned off my Wii U, because I just knew he would call me names. Maybe some racial remarks? Or some "GETGUD" tags? I don't know, and I'm glad I didn't stay to find out.

tl;dr: Someone taunted me first, I taunted back, I left.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Today something comparable to this finally happened to me.

Basically I was playing against a guy who seemed rather arrogant. He had a habit of repeated crouching after most K.O.s, and after two rounds in which I lost, I beat him on the third round and he used the tags "WOW?" followed b y "K".

No idea whether it was due to the way I defeated him or something or just due to losing at all, but I certainly don't think he was trying to be friendly. I just decided at that point "Yeah, I don't want to play any more rounds with this guy" and promptly left. Thankfully, I encountered friendlier people afterwards.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Some guy changed his tag to "CANCER" after I beat his Ganondorf with my Rosalina and I simply just laughed out loud. I really never thought I find one of those people these days.

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
Some guy changed his tag to "CANCER" after I beat his Ganondorf with my Rosalina and I simply just laughed out loud. I really never thought I find one of those people these days.
Someone did the same to me and I take serious offense to anyone who uses the term Cancer as a petty insult. My mother died last year from cancer; people need to think before they throw out insults for the sake of insults.

Algodonzo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Algodonzo
I get called names from time to time. More lately since I've been trying to pick up Link (Do people seriously hate him so much?). I just got off from online where there was this extremely rude player who beat my lv. -1 Link and told me to "get good" and called me "trash" and all the usual. But this time I snapped and changed my tags back and called him the s word (pretty bad on my part, not proud). He went Link just to be a jerk. I beat him with my Yoshi and he got super intense with the tags again. I changed mine to "not worth". Then the character selection timer ran out and he had gone Cloud. I didn't even try. I just reported him afterwards. He was so rude and unpleasant that I just had to look him up. Turns out he's a Smashboards member! I thought we were better than this! Oh, the horror! What a shame for our lovely community!

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I get called names from time to time. More lately since I've been trying to pick up Link (Do people seriously hate him so much?). I just got off from online where there was this extremely rude player who beat my lv. -1 Link and told me to "get good" and called me "trash" and all the usual. But this time I snapped and changed my tags back and called him the s word (pretty bad on my part, not proud). He went Link just to be a jerk. I beat him with my Yoshi and he got super intense with the tags again. I changed mine to "not worth". Then the character selection timer ran out and he had gone Cloud. I didn't even try. I just reported him afterwards. He was so rude and unpleasant that I just had to look him up. Turns out he's a Smashboards member! I thought we were better than this! Oh, the horror! What a shame for our lovely community!
What was his name on here? You found him out?

Algodonzo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Algodonzo
Yeah, I found him. I don't want to name the guy, though. No need to shame other players, right?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
A few hours ago, I got slapped with the "HAHAHA!" and "NOTTRYING" tags and then back to the former after I lost to his Ganondorf who spent most of the match doing d-tilts. Funny thing about this was that he was right on the latter tag. I was pretty tired I really wasn't trying. Heh!

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
People hate Wii fit trainer and villager because of their campy playstyles so I get loooots of name calling on fg. There was a person who started referencing world war and said that i should get trapped in a gas chamber. Generally, I just respond with "lol" as it means that I find it funny too, which means mutual laughter and all is good. I just fought a kirby who would taunt and teabag after every ko but would be nice and say gg and haha even if they lost. Being nice is contagious. Also, I have the benefit of having serious jank with my main and secondary so weird stuff happen and they usually stop bm'ing.

Bob

Banned via Warnings
There was one guy who was playing Splink (Spam-Link) and got 2-Stocked; proceeded to call me "SCRUB", and "LrnTheGame"... My Sandwhich was a bit dry anyway ;)

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
Seriously in all honesty if your getting offended from these insult you should not be playing on FG or any other mode that allows it.

Remember games are meant to be enjoyed and if your getting offended so easily you should consider something else play

Oh to answer the question... I get tons of insults online... do I care? NOPE :)

Last edited:

Jecux

Smash Cadet
I've been only once told to "GIT•GUD", which was quickly followed by "HAHAHAHA". Some player called me "SPAMMER" but what move can you actually spam with Dedede?

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I've been only once told to "GIT•GUD", which was quickly followed by "HAHAHAHA". Some player called me "SPAMMER" but what move can you actually spam with Dedede?
Gordo's. Several people have dealt with it/ dished it out before.

Anyways the most recent thing I got was "Skiil?" After two-stocking someone with Bowser.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Usually if I have a madbad getting all pissy and salty at me, calling me names, I fire back the obligatory "git gud" which causes them to produce more salt than all of super meat boy.

Top Bottom