• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Poll* Have you ever been called names on FG?

Have you ever felt personally victimized by For Glory?

• Yes

Votes: 399 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 208 34.3%

• Total voters

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
I don't mean to sound sexist, but why is it that every female I fight on FG has to be such a jerk? I don't think I have ever fought a female that has never teabagged, taunted, or insulted me.

I can say the same thing about all the guys I fight on FG. :p

On the topic, the most recent were from C. Falcon players when I was playing 2v2 team FG with my cousin. The first one who with a Ness(we lost that match btw) told us "Rekt" "Ucantplay" and a very good one who was playing with a very good Lucina called us a spammer(this one we won)

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I've been complimented by other players in 1v1 FG for my "nice lag."

There's this :4sheik: who immediately changed his name tag to "ANNOYING" after he won by avoiding me literally the whole match + sudden death once I took a stock from him.

This one's funny. I was playing as :4mewtwo: in a 2v2 and lost to a :4cloud: and :4peach:. Then the :4cloud: player switch his name tag to "get good." My partner changed his name tag to "...really?" and then the second match began with the same team. Only this time I switched to :4link: and my partner switched to :4zss:. We rofl stomped the :4cloud: player and he left right after.

Aside from that, I've received a few "GGs" and handed some myself. I fought a :4mario: player who was impressed with the way I used :4lucina:. He switched his name tag to "Ur*Good." Then we had a mirror match the second round. I won with a pretty close match-up and he gave me a "GG."

ShulkMonadoBoi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luigi_The_Jumper
3DS FC
1289-9400-8598
This is not on For Glory, but on For Fun me and this guy started having a 1v1 and the other 2 players were just goofing off. I got a +2 score off that guy before he went to the other guys and got destroyed over there as well. When the match was over the other 2 guys left and the guy that got destroyed put up " NO BLACKS " ( yes I'm black ) and " :). " I was going to report him but two more players came in and one of them brought their input lag with them, so I quit the match.

I now learned that :shaker: causes people to be racist. (sarcasm)

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
Someone called me a Coward today in Banland, then tried to use my main against me...*Little Mac* I 2 stocked him then left shortly after that.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Got an interesting one, who wrote "U R GOOD", then switch during a fraction of second to "u suck" then goes back to "U R GOOD".

... I mean... Why?

Sunnymane

Smash Rookie
People most likely get upset when other people internationally lag the game to gain an advantage. That's simple. I'd SD too if someone continuously lagged the game. That's ruining the game for me!

KirbCider

Smash Ace
In the past month I've managed to encounter:

My friend and I recently went against a double Cloud team. Our first match resulted in Sudden Death and they managed to win it. There were no Taunts or Insults flung from either side and a rematch was had. This time resulted in us winning by +2, again no taunts happened; however, this time because the double Cloud team didn't win they immediately put up "REPORTED" "RACISTS" as their tags, which was then proceeded by "FA" "GS" before reverting back to the previous ones mentioned. They left right after that.

They weren't even bad players and were kind of fun to go against. It's a shame they had to get so salty over one little loss.

My friend and I had also encountered a team who eventually put up "NOOBS :V" and would rotate with ":V" ":VV" ":VVVVVV" as it it was some attempt to show mocking laughter or something. Funny thing is we won the first two times, and lost the last three. Even more funnily, despite losing the last three we were always extremely close. Two Sudden Deaths and only lost by -1 with the other.

Apparently it no longer matters how close the matches are. If you lose whatsoever you are automatically deemed a Noob and assured that you suck, even if every match boiled down to a "Anyones game" sort of scenario. Did the definition of Noob change or something?

I've also recently gotten someone that apparently wanted me to sell my game because according to them I was "NO GOOD" "LOSER" "POS (assuming its "Piece of ****)" and was also told to "QUIT TRYING" due to losing 1 out of 3 matches with said person. Sometimes I can't really understand For Glory. Usually it's one loss and somebody blows up like you just murdered their favorite puppy in front of them. I guess since they know they can get away with it they just want to do it regardless of what happens, maybe? I wonder sometimes.

The internet can be silly and confusing, especially when it comes to Online Games.

Last edited:

JehJehKeyblade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JehJehKeyblade2
I main Luigi. So I get this quite often. Usually from Shulk players.

Among the most common insults are:
"BRAINDEAD"
"GET*A" -pause- "REAL*MAIN"
"CHEAPMAIN"
"TIERWHORE"
"BANDWAGON"
"NICE*SPAM"
If I win. If I lose it's usually the sort of "YOU*SUCK" "F*A*G" stuff. The best Mario I've ever played against even turned out to be a huge jerk like that. I usually FR the people who are amazing, but not that guy.
These guys on FOR FUN team battle even changed their tags to "URAFRAUD" and "TRYWINNING" after one match. And then reported me for using Ness.
These guys, man. These guys.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I have never understood that and I'm not sure if I will someday...

Why is it that losing in a match DOWN TO THE WIRE AND UP-CLOSE against someone makes you a "noob"? I mean, if the match-up was close and anyone could have gotten the victory, why is it that the other player calls you that if he/she was so damn close to losing too...?

I guess taking a loss online AGAINST A STRANGER is too much for their ego that they have to put the blame on someone or something else when they were close to fail at anything otherwise they'll always be losers themselves...

I swear, For Glory, man... (Since that's where it happens or can happen most often...)

:mad088:

(A post aside from characters-tactics and rather about the mindset of FG players...)

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
There is no reasoning to why some people try to insult you using gamertags. These kind of people have these kind of tags already prepared. Often they already know that they are going to insult you somehow whether they win or lose. Most of the time they thinks it's funny to troll, as they are safe in their living room several miles away.

Point is don't take it personally, they were going to do that to you anyway and will continue to do it to others after. Best attitude is to take it as a joke and troll back, have some fun with them. Either that or just ignore them and move on.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I have never understood that and I'm not sure if I will someday...

Why is it that losing in a match DOWN TO THE WIRE AND UP-CLOSE against someone makes you a "noob"? I mean, if the match-up was close and anyone could have gotten the victory, why is it that the other player calls you that if he/she was so damn close to losing too...?
It's probably because you're supposed to "Git Gud" or bust. So... How does one "Git Gud" without practicing against other players, putting hours in via practice, and just learning in general? Everyone is going to start off as a Noob, and everyone has been a Noob at some point.

Either way, if you aren't physically playing the game and putting a lot of effort into it then you're obviously going to be terrible.

I think that slips peoples minds sometimes. Of course, the only thing on their mind is stroking their ego and proving how Alpha they are to a complete stranger so I doubt it even enters their mind to begin with. Other than that, like with LightningHelix LightningHelix has already stated some people don't need a reason to call you a Noob. They want to feel superior and be one of the cool kids by getting into the hip trend of trolling Online. They're safely tucked away in their home and it's not like you're going to find out who they are, so why not? What could go wrong?

It doesn't help there's plenty of folks who make disrespect/troll vids of any Online Game, as it's only encouraging others to do the same.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Jeez. But still. Man. For Glory sheananigans for everyone, I guess~

And even if you manage to do well, they'll go with excuses or put the blame on you somehow then again...

*Sigh*

:glare:

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
I wasn't expecting to get called names on For Fun. You're gonna play as Emo Cloud on For Fun and you're gonna call me names cause I decided to do something dumb like specials only Wario. Some pretty darn insecure people out there.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Some A-Hole named MrMcWeezy used the tags "STAY- BAD" and "NO SKIL" after he beats me once with his Captain Falcon.
Keep in mind that I beat him the match before with Marth, and he wins the second round after we both take each others stocks.
As usual the coward left before he could back up his smack talk.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've gotten some more in the past few days.

During 2V2s with a friend of mine these two guys came in, and immediately put up a "UR UGLY" tag. I didn't know Miis were meant to be supermodels, but all I can say is they hurt my feelings so much I couldn't go on (not really). After we played them they decided to use my friends tag and put "SUX" behind it. I guess it was due to the accidental SD he got at the very start of the match or something.

Funnily enough, even with that -2 we still beat them. Even more funnily they tried to mirror his Ganondorf and he ended up Ganonciding them 3 to 4 times, giving them -6/-8 from SDs alone. They even tried taunting a lot in some matches, and lost every single one.

There was another incident in 2V2s where we lost the first match with another pair, but when we beat them by +6 the next match they put up "UR WELCOME" & "GAVE 2 U" and flashed it multiple times, followed by calling us "LOZERZ". After that we got even more serious, and beat them by +3. This time they responded with "NICE SPAM" & "**** U" before leaving immediately after those.

What I found funny about this one was they were spamming the entire time (Dark Pits Side B, Ryus UP B and Neutral B, Charizards Side B) and we happened to pick characters that can handle those types of spam easier and stop them. Seriously though, whats with people on For Glory accusing you of spamming when they lose and were the ones spamming the entire time...?

For Glory logic always eludes me. Also, one more:

I gotta love the ones that like to call me "GAY" and others like that like its some sort of insult. Like, I know I am and I don't have a problem with that. What does me being gay have to do with Smash at all exactly? You're only pointing out the obvious for no reason, honey. <3

Last edited:

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Some A-Hole named MrMcWeezy used the tags "STAY- BAD" and "NO SKIL" after he beats me once with his Captain Falcon.
Keep in mind that I beat him the match before with Marth, and he wins the second round after we both take each others stocks.
As usual the coward left before he could back up his smack talk.
Maybe he was talking about himself :p

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Played a few rounds with someone the other night, and following a very close victory on my end, they decided to change their name to "**** you" lol

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
One of my favorite responses to U SUCK is U SWALLOW.

Sometimes I just go with the trolls like FISTME BRO

or sometimes if they win and get mouthy i'll write UPLAY2MUCH, hey, if I can't win, at least I might make them wonder what they are doing with their life.

I mean let's be real here, 99.9 of us aren't making bank in this game and we play for competitive fun. Don't let some @sshat who thinks he has a shot at APEX (Spoiler alert....he dosen't) take the fun out of it.

Same goes for whiny children who ***** about losing. They are irrelevant and are fully allowed to back to Mario Party/Mario Kart or whatever hole they came from. Nobody wants them in our game anyway.

Either way For Glory is crap anyway, better to go on ladder or tourny mode online than to cuddle with for glory scrubs/elitists.

Last edited:

Reiwai

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkchibiterasu
I main Corrin, so I get crap constantly. Just the usual stuff, "UR BAD", "U SUCK", "GO DIE", etc.

But there was one instance that will always stand out to me. I was playing Doubles with a friend of mine, teaching him how to play Bayonetta.

We came across two guys, I think they were Ike mains. Since we're competent players, and For Glory Ike is the worst thing ever, we curb stomp them.

Back to the match screen we go, and the salt was amazing. They somehow, in almost perfect sync, changed their tags to "YOU" + "SUCK", then to "QUIT THE" + "GAME", and then my favorite, "DIE" + "****". We played one more match, completely demolished them, then we reported them right as they started with the racial slurs.

My favorite thing about that is that in order to type them that fast, they had to have already had the tags made, like they decided in advance to make offensive tags just in case they met people better than them.

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
Cloud + Limit Break + For Glory = Hilarious Fun.

I get the normal stuff too, like 'YOU SUCK', 'UR BAD'. Y'know, the basics for insecure people/children on the internet. Of course, you have the people who constantly taunt at you every time they knock you off stage and use high-tier characters (or your character) to try and beat you after they lose. Oh, the Cloud ditto matches I've played.

Like Reiwai Reiwai said, these guys must have these things typed out already just to insult people who are obviously better than them. A Limit side B or two puts them in their place every time.

My favorite thing about For Glory is when I get knocked off stage, only to boomerang back at their taunting behinds and give them a taste of my Buster Sword.

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
I gotta love the ones that like to call me "GAY" and others like that like its some sort of insult. Like, I know I am and I don't have a problem with that. What does me being gay have to do with Smash at all exactly? You're only pointing out the obvious for no reason, honey. <3
Well said, my friend. I know exactly how you feel.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Not sure how to make of this one but I had this one guy earlier that changed his tag to "Nice" then "REKTON" after I 0 to death comboed his Roy with my Rosalina. He eventually self destructed on his last stock afterwards.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've still yet to see anyone who's gone far enough to "attempt" to insult me on FG.

I've seen a few people try and communicate with me, though. I've seen a couple "GGs" or "GG" after having some balanced matches in 1v1s (I've taken to using it myself since I first saw it) before my opponent left, and recently I saw someone put in "2LAGGY4ME" after one match and following it up with "CYA!". I certainly wouldn't classify any of that as insulting.

I guess I've just been really fortunate in my time in FG so far. I wouldn't say I've been entirely free of bad matches in online Smash (the first time I ever entered an online battle, I found myself in a Taunt Party that almost immediately ganged up on me before I even did anything) but I've never been called names or personally insulted.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've still yet to see anyone who's gone far enough to "attempt" to insult me on FG.

I've seen a few people try and communicate with me, though. I've seen a couple "GGs" or "GG" after having some balanced matches in 1v1s (I've taken to using it myself since I first saw it) before my opponent left, and recently I saw someone put in "2LAGGY4ME" after one match and following it up with "CYA!". I certainly wouldn't classify any of that as insulting.

I guess I've just been really fortunate in my time in FG so far. I wouldn't say I've been entirely free of bad matches in online Smash (the first time I ever entered an online battle, I found myself in a Taunt Party that almost immediately ganged up on me before I even did anything) but I've never been called names or personally insulted.
Then you are indeed a lucky one. I've actually been playing For Glory less frequently than I used to cause it's actually starting to become a little tiring to receive salt at every twist and turn. You can only put up with so much for so long after all, and I'm starting to reach the end of my rope. I've actually developed a bit of a toxic mindset now in which I automatically think "Okay, are they gonna throw out an insult now?" if someone manages to win. It's just what I tend to expect out of For Glory these days after so much salt on countless occasions.

Perhaps I'm severely unlucky, because I honestly don't know why I receive so much salt.

I play as :4rob: :4dedede: 70% of the time on For Glory, so it's not like I'm playing top tier characters or ones people have gotten sick of seeing countless times (Link, Cloud, Ness, etc). I also have a very aggressive play-style and actually, ya know... Adapt when it's needed.

It's honestly not like I'm pro good either. I'm very average, but probably a little above average by For Glory Standards.

It's even doubled, or probably quadrupled in 2V2s when you have an actual friend to play with you. Today we won the first match with a pair, and they went double Link and spammed the whole time. They got a last second kill at the very end and won by a score of +1. So it was 1-1 win wise, yet they decided to say we sucked, called us trash, and even said I "Was a girl", which... Uh, yeah.

I haven't received that kind of insult since the 3rd Grade. I guess For Glory is starting to find less creative ways to spill the salt.

Either way, encountering that kind of stuff each and every time you go into For Glory just wears on you. A lot of us has thick skin, but sometimes those salty players can pierce it if worn down enough. It's kind of upsetting that I can't enjoy For Glory like I used to. Oh well.

Salty players will be salty players I guess. Not much can be done about it really.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Then you are indeed a lucky one. I've actually been playing For Glory less frequently than I used to cause it's actually starting to become a little tiring to receive salt at every twist and turn. You can only put up with so much for so long after all, and I'm starting to reach the end of my rope. I've actually developed a bit of a toxic mindset now in which I automatically think "Okay, are they gonna throw out an insult now?" if someone manages to win. It's just what I tend to expect out of For Glory these days after so much salt on countless occasions.

Perhaps I'm severely unlucky, because I honestly don't know why I receive so much salt.
I do know what you mean despite having decent luck in my experiences in Sm4sh so far. I have a mindset similar to that for some other games I play TF2 is an example. The amount of people who love to fuel their own egos through insults and make every single kill they make a huge deal to everyone else on the server is just...ridiculous, to say the least.

As for this game, I don't know. It wasn't until earlier this year that I've really began to pick the game up (I hardly played it at all in 2015) so maybe it's partially because I haven't played online very much. I'm bound to run into some sour people eventually.

It's honestly not like I'm pro good either. I'm very average, but probably a little above average by For Glory Standards.

It's even doubled, or probably quadrupled in 2V2s when you have an actual friend to play with you. Today we won the first match with a pair, and they went double Link and spammed the whole time. They got a last second kill at the very end and won by a score of +1. So it was 1-1 win wise, yet they decided to say we sucked, called us trash, and even said I "Was a girl", which... Uh, yeah.

I haven't received that kind of insult since the 3rd Grade. I guess For Glory is starting to find less creative ways to spill the salt.
This is humanity for you. Well, one of the dumbest parts of it, anyway.

Admittedly, I've said some really stupid things in the past out of anger, but I've learned a lot better and have grown a lot more mature since then (I'd like to think I have, anyway). I was an easy to anger kid online. Even when I do still get rather frustrated, I'm not the kind of person to just throw insults just because I lost easily, and I'm certainly not someone to stoop low enough to mocking people I beat.

Either way, encountering that kind of stuff each and every time you go into For Glory just wears on you. A lot of us has thick skin, but sometimes those salty players can pierce it if worn down enough. It's kind of upsetting that I can't enjoy For Glory like I used to. Oh well.

Salty players will be salty players I guess. Not much can be done about it really.
My skin has grown thicker at a rather slow pace over my maturing and godawful experiences online, but it isn't quite as thick as I wish it was sometimes. I still get more upset than I should over some rather small things, but like I said earlier, I still know what you mean. Not everyone's just going to be able to perfectly adapt to salty and sour attitudes everywhere and happily ignore their existence. For Glory hasn't been "tainted" for me just yet, but some of my other online games that I would still consider to be among my favorites have been.

And on that last note, I couldn't agree more. It's unfortunate, but that's life for you.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So this Wario player taught me a few days ago that even 3DS Smash can be just as cancerous, despite having no nametags to abuse. Now, I usually get easily beaten really badly by any Wario I come across due to my horribly sluggish reflexes, and it certainly doesn't help when the opponent taunts after every kill, especially considering Wario has the hands-down douchiest taunts in the game. I actually got so salty at this Wario that I think I have three kidney stones with W's engraved on them now. Thanks, Wario.
Yeah, chances are I'm staying away from FG for a good few months.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I do know what you mean despite having decent luck in my experiences in Sm4sh so far. I have a mindset similar to that for some other games I play TF2 is an example. The amount of people who love to fuel their own egos through insults and make every single kill they make a huge deal to everyone else on the server is just...ridiculous, to say the least.

This is humanity for you. Well, one of the dumbest parts of it, anyway.

My skin has grown thicker at a rather slow pace over my maturing and godawful experiences online, but it isn't quite as thick as I wish it was sometimes. I still get more upset than I should over some rather small things, but like I said earlier, I still know what you mean. Not everyone's just going to be able to perfectly adapt to salty and sour attitudes everywhere and happily ignore their existence. For Glory hasn't been "tainted" for me just yet, but some of my other online games that I would still consider to be among my favorites have been.
Well for me I hardly ever play any sort of games that involve Online Functionality. I'm not that much of a huge gamer, and the ones I do play often do not have Online Functionality. If they do it's extremely limited or not a game that's competitive in a sense. That being said, Smash is the only game I ever experience harsh showers of salt in terms of playing Online. Despite this I know how common insults, rudeness, and trolls are in other Online games. It's something that's just part of the Online experience no one has control of.

It's something anyone and everyone must accept when playing Online, just like you must accept you will always find someone better than you. I know this and accept it as a fact. I've known this ever since I started For Glory and it's how I had a thick shell to begin with.

However the more I played the thinner that shell started to become.

Like I stated previously one person can only put up with so much before they eventually snap. When I started For Glory I hardly ever encountered anything. I got it once in a while but found it more amusing than annoying at the time. It's amazing how easily someone can get mad at you for the littlest things and I could share dozens of stories of all the times that has happened during my experience.

Either way, I found the more I played and the better I got the more salt and insults were showered upon me. Encountering it has gone from "Wow, they're silly" to "Really...? You can't just, ya know... Have fun and make things fun?". This is a bit of an exaggeration but I feel like I get it every third match/person I play now compared to barely getting any before. It just ends up wearing on your patience. Again I have no clue why I get as much as I do, it just sort of happens and I understand it may only get worse from here.

I wish I could experience it to a lesser extent, but that's probably not gonna happen unless I quit For Glory overall.

D

Deleted member 269706

Haha yeah, I did. May have already posted this, but even so it's worth sharing again. I go online and play against this Ness main. Game one I go Falcon (my main at the time) and win. Try to style on him so I go Rosa the next game, and win ofc. After that he changes his name to "TIER HO" (keep in mind he was a Ness player), so I switch to Ganondorf and beat him. After that he changed his tag to "GG" and left.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
This isn't really name-calling, but it is still tag insults.

There was a Marth player I encountered a while back, when I still had Luigi as my main. I was in a Smash slump that day, and my tag was "I AM NOOB".

He responded with "HA!" and then "GOT•GAME?". It was hilarious to see that he actually assumed I was a noob.

Then we went into the match. Turns out he was the noob: he turned out to be a run-of-the-mill counter spammer. I kid you not. Anytime I dashed towards him or tomahawked near him, he would counter. And mash it. He obviously didn't know that grabs couldn't be countered, and that Luigi's meta revolves around his grab game (this is postpatch Luigi, but still). I managed to two stock him. IIRC it was a Freshman three stock. He proceeded to switch his tag to "NO", and the second match went just like the first. Then we both left and I was cracking up.

Velmonte

Smash Cadet
NNID
Velmonte
Encountered a player recently who first had his tag as "Practice". Okay, I'm fine with that. So we have our first match. Sonic vs Luigi (Him). I don't play too aggressively at first so he can adjust, but then I begin to pick it up. He did okay for the first match. I 2 stocked him, hoping he would learn and grow from it. Boy was I wrong. Came back to the CSS when he quickly changed his tag to "REPORTED" and left.

Geeez some people...It gave me a good laugh though.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Encountered a player recently who first had his tag as "Practice". Okay, I'm fine with that. So we have our first match. Sonic vs Luigi (Him). I don't play too aggressively at first so he can adjust, but then I begin to pick it up. He did okay for the first match. I 2 stocked him, hoping he would learn and grow from it. Boy was wrong. Came back to the CSS when he quickly changed his tag to "REPORTED" and left.

Geeez some people...It gave me a good laugh though.
Damn. Talk about salty, jeez. Just for losing, a report is something uncalled for. Some people need to chill with using that option.

:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom