• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Poll* Have you ever been called names on FG?

Have you ever felt personally victimized by For Glory?

• Yes

Votes: 399 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 208 34.3%

• Total voters

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
TL;DR Have you ever been called names through FG's tags? If so, what were they?

Yes, yes I know its one of *these* threads again but this one I want to be a little unique because it touches on something a little bit more personal and more specific than the typical "For Glory sucks". Yes, we know For Glory sucks but it's not good, not matter your skill level.

Over the past month that I've been playing Smash and since about yesterday that I've stopped playing For Glory, I've been called names only twice after almost 1000 matches (one of which I handled, the other...not so much). Not bad, but still it's a bit hurtful and unsportsmanlike and why would you even bother to go through the entire process just to make someone feel bad.

Before you say "WELL YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING BETTER" or "THIS IS COMMON IN ALL GAMES NOT JUST SMASH" or "THIS TYPE OF THING MAKES ME PLAY HARDER" or "YOU'RE BEING TOO SENSITIVE". Really? Being berated online by a Little Mac or a counter character makes you want to work harder? Wouldn't you get the same thing and something more out of "Good job--try doing this more" instead of renaming yourself to scrub and belittling them? Is it me being too sensitive or am I being a bit let down by this mode, the people playing this mode, and their conduct? I know there are trolls and I know this won't reach the people that really need to hear it the most but if you *are* one of those people: Does being a bully really help the community out any? Does it help you sleep better at night? Can't you just do that by beating them (or 2 stocking them), do you really have to lay the low blow on the person?

I know this community is extremely competitive and I know there are gonna be nay-sayers who are either going to put words in my mouth or tell me to shove off and that I'm crying/salty, but its only happened twice and I'm already sick of it. Let me be salty, just don't rub the wound. I know the most obvious solution is "Stop playing FG" and I've done that. I find it better (and more helpful) to use other websites and play with friends, but why *can't* we play with strangers without being scared of being harassed?

To be absolutely honest, and this is the brutal truth, but whenever I played FG and lost I was afraid. Afraid of the comments I might get calling me names and the blow to my skills. And this is coming from someone who has a 75% and 60% after 1000 matches on Wii U and 3DS respectively. Maybe its an Aethermaster thing, but I shouldn't be feeling like that. Especially considering I used to play League and other games and received far less harassment in the months I played that game (surprising considering that games community) and I felt better about playing a game like that than Smash.

/rant

Last edited:

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I wasn't particularly called any names for losing; rather, I was told I suck because I won.

My very first Smash U FG match was where that happened. I wasn't playing extremely well... I am far from a pro. I was just playing well enough to destroy my opponent, that's all.

So after the first match, he renamed his tag to "USUK." I hadn't considered it being anything but an alternate name. So I beat his patheticness again. This time, he renamed himself, "USTILLSUK."

...Ah. So THAT'S your game. Once I realized what he was trying to say, I rematched him one last time just to kick his ass out of spite.

I seriously hate people like that... But, even though I was insulted, I just didn't take it that seriously. I mean yes, it was annoying for like five minutes, but then I just laughed it off. If being told I "SUK" because I won is supposed to be taken seriously, I'd hate to see how I'm supposed to react to a close friend or family member dying.

There's absolutely no way you can force people to stop acting like two-year-olds, especially online. Realizing this, I just like to let things go nowadays (unless I'm at my limit).

_gold_

Smash Master
Yes, a couple of times. I played this one kid, and he lost... pretty badly. After words, it's like he had a smorgasbord of tags ready on demand (e.g. "Ur bad", "ZSS OP", and Scum"). He was obviously trying to get a rise outta me, but I found it amusing.

Last edited:

SciCore

Filthy Casual
I beat this one Peach player pretty badly because they SD'd, and in the next match he/she changed their tag to "UWhore." They left immediately after I beat them the second time (Though that game was much closer).

Another time I came across a Samus player with the tag "Headshot," who pretty much just spammed projectiles for the entire first two games. In between matches he changed his tag to things like "UMAD?" and "TOOMUCH?" even though I beat him both times.

Then he started playing for real and it turned out he was by far the best Samus I had ever played, probably the best player i've seen in my 3000+ games of FG period, so I couldn't get mad at that.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't know but I don't give a **** what they say. Y'all shouldn't let that discourage you in any way just cuz they were sore losers.

I remember telling this to this one guy who made a similar thread like this on the Little Mac forums. Just keep doing what we do best, no matter what negative bull**** they say.

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
Nope, not once. I don't really care about my FG record, the only time I play seriously is when I want to blow off some steam (most of the FG players get 2 stocked). The only thing that bothers me is when someone leaves in the middle of the match. I was playing against this guy's Bowser and I took his first stock at 30% after that he literally didn't try, he just dodged and recovered. When we got to the results screen he went to the next battle instantly which is a red flag that they left.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
FG is weird, because I find a lot of disrespectful people on there, like people going YOUR character after they beat you with yours, but other than that I really don't get angry with poeple on FG. I usually get nice people or people who are a million times better than me xD

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
No, but I have called someone a SPAMMER when I faced a spamming palutena (and proceeded to salty mirror match 4 times and lose loool) and I have used my tag Scrub. twice, just cuz it was Link and Toon Link spammers, more annoying then spamus.

That was a bit back, though. Know I just yell at my screen and let myself shed a tear instead of taking it out on someone else.

Last edited:

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I've heard about this happening, but haven't experienced it myself.

Wouldn't take it personally if it did though.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Yeah. So weird. Like who takes the time to write that **** out?!XD

it's happened like threee times all times with me winning. The first 2times it was sad to see people taking the online "For Glory" too far, so i'd leave. But YESTERDAY it happened again. I was practicing with some new characters in fg i was winning alot against this guy, but i was oblivious to how mad i was making him i suppose, but this guy brang it upond himself when he'd taunt me on a sd or ko. So naturally i'd taunt when i won:0

he suddenly changed his to "UrABitch" with you know symbols and stuff. And i died laughing at this challenge on front of me cuz he went on to practice "ready" stage thinking he can win again with his lil mac.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
i was going aggro on this guy's Palutena and he changed his tag to "SAD" "NOAPPROACH" after.

also if anyone taunts me after a lucky kill they end up regretting it afterwards.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I ignore my opponent's names and whatnot. It's the internet, I could care less what someone's display name is.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
For the first time just the other day actually.
Beat this guy 5 times in a row (Several of them 2 stocks, changed my character each time) and he criticized me for being a "Roll Kid" and that I played ugly and was a FGT (Stands for what you think it does of course). That was right after I Up Smashed him with Fox when he taunted a kill. Har.
Of course, the person I fought directly afterwards gave me some GGs and we complimented each others ability. Sooooo.... =P

Last edited:

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
Someone from Guatemala called me a ***** because I 2-stocked their shulk using duck hunt while managing to get only 52% in return. I was like :201l::201o::201l:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Did anybody here get called names after they lost?

Sheesh I was hoping for some kind of sob stories here but apparently I'm the only loser around here -_-

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
I was up against a toon link and up on our last stock the match was down to the wire and time was almost up and he was trying to stall for sudden death,I hit him with a shield breaker and beat him

Dude called me a scrubby ass tryhard after and left.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Ive actually never had anyone change their name after playing me. Actually, once one guy said GG, but that's it.

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
Yes, I have encountered a lot of salty people on FG after they lose. It makes me laugh more than anything.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I got called "Noobtactic" when i Ganoncided someone, it was hilarious.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
It's the internet, what can I say? Is name calling ever okay? No. Is it going to happen? Yeah.
For Glory is honestly just for fun (ironic, huh?). Sometimes I play it just to try out new characters, so I don't get trucked in ranked matches. Outside of that, For Glory is just about as useless as Splash.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Did anybody here get called names after they lost?

Sheesh I was hoping for some kind of sob stories here but apparently I'm the only loser around here -_-
I did once, actually.

Two weeks ago I was really sick and pretty much couch-ridden, so I just played Smash on the GamePad with the brightness turned down low.

I mostly played For Fun because it didn't require much concentration, but after a while I tried some For Glory. At one point, I was facing a pretty decent R.O.B player. I couldn't play to the best of my ability (small, dim screen + not using the GC controller + sick = I can't play very well at all), but somehow managed to beat him about 4 times. The 5th time, there was some lag issues that caused me to whiff some aerial follow-ups and SD twice, so I lost that time. Got back to the character select screen, and the guy was throwing a bunch of different insults ("REKT", "NOOB", etc) at me, and proceeded to leave.

Really, I hate it when people can only win by using lag. It's a pain for me. Rosalina requires a ton of precision, making her one of the characters that really suffers from lag problems.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
I did once, actually.

Two weeks ago I was really sick and pretty much couch-ridden, so I just played Smash on the GamePad with the brightness turned down low.

I mostly played For Fun because it didn't require much concentration, but after a while I tried some For Glory. At one point, I was facing a pretty decent R.O.B player. I couldn't play to the best of my ability (small, dim screen + not using the GC controller + sick = I can't play very well at all), but somehow managed to beat him about 4 times. The 5th time, there was some lag issues that caused me to whiff some aerial follow-ups and SD twice, so I lost that time. Got back to the character select screen, and the guy was throwing a bunch of different insults ("REKT", "NOOB", etc) at me, and proceeded to leave.

Really, I hate it when people can only win by using lag. It's a pain for me. Rosalina requires a ton of precision, making her one of the characters that really suffers from lag problems.
F that guy. I said this on the social thread but I beat a down b happy bowser who was just using lag as Rosalina and after the match he put no honor as his name and left LOL

I haven't ran into anyone changing their tags, but I don't play FG much because I enter online tournaments where face and name are much more important, and the line being crossed between friendly, harmless trash talk and berating someone's overall potential or shaming someone as a person is easily punishable. Trash talk is healthy, @NAKAT being the prime example of that, but a lot of people don't know the line between healthy and unhealthy.

I mainly play FG on the 3DS, I don't want to try to explain to my parents that my gamepad is vibrating violently in the bathroom and that it's not something else. But there are times before work or errands where I'll bust out Wii U FG and lie in bed for about 15-20 minutes.

If someone did change their tags on me like that, though...

Last edited:

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I've been called names from winning and losing. Got called a coward the other day when I won using Megaman against my opponents Gannondorf. Just because I was playing more cautiously? Keeping my distance? Sorry but that player was kind of good and being close up to Gannon all the time as Megaman is kind of asking for it. Megaman isn't designed to play close up all the time anyways.

I got plenty of stored names ready to call others who try to insult me though, to put them in their place.

Arrei

Smash Lord
In 1000+ matches I only once got called "pathetic" by some guy using Falco because I Bowsercided him when he had 0%.

The salt only made that win more delicious.

I've been pleased to find that more often the folks I find that try to converse with the tags tend to be rather good sports, congratulating each other on wins, jokingly lamenting terrible SDs, and so forth.

Last edited:

radiostarkiller

Smash Rookie
Haven't met with any jerks that have called me names after a loss, but just today I got called "Runner" and "Pathetic" after I won against a Jiggs player. Didn't know using PKT2 right next to their Jiggs counted as pathetic running, but eh. :^)

To be frank though, I've only played with mostly good sports. Really dig the people with fun tags. <:

Roy115

Smash Cadet
I've been called----> (F*g, As$, Spammer, Cheap, and Bi*ch...) even though I played fair, all I say when I win or lose is "GG".... why must people be so mean? :(

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Funny things happen.
I was playing teams and the other team used the tags "FACK" "YOU"
So I just beat them and used the tag U Salty? and left.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Funny things happen.
I was playing teams and the other team used the tags "FACK" "YOU"
So I just beat them and used the tag U Salty? and left.
Something like this happened to me and my bro, we we're doing team FG and lost (barely about 2-3)the first game to these two random guys and they changed their tags to "YOU-SUCK" and "FK-YOU" we ended up beating them the next two rounds 6-2 and 8-1. xD

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
Someone Changed their name to FAT (tea-bagged alot, taunted until it wouldn't let him), after I beat him 4 times in a row, he then tried to cheese me, I won with a two stock and only 10% and then he put "STILLFAT". so then I changed mine to "SALT" beat him four more times, and then he quit.

Not sure why people get mad when losing- Treat each loss as a learning experience to get better. allowing yourself to get hot headed is silly.

BlazedMike95

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlazedMike95
3DS FC
5198-2884-6597
It's hard to take people in FG seriously after 2-stocking somebody with Zelda and getting called a "Tier *****" immediately after the match. :4zelda:

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I don't have to deal with name swapping because I play on 3DS. What bunch of children. I guarantee I'd get called a spammer just for winning with Mega Man if I played on Wii U, but when someone who's losing tries to make excuses, it just makes me lol, so I'd probably enjoy it.

Plus if someone starts acting like a jerk, I generally crush them and then leave immediately. I don't want to play against someone like that and potentially give them the satisfaction of a lucky win, because they usually take it and leave immediately themselves.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I like to playfully ''troll'' For Fun opponents with Tags like ''Im Tired'' ''Leave Me'' followed by ''alone'' and immediately disengage from the fighting. Of course, it's a common stoic warrior tactic, but if you don't comply to my ''inability'' to play effectively, you're going to have a shock.

ArcadiaPerson

Smash Rookie
I've had this happen one time in over 1000 For Glory matches. I played a guy quite a few times, the two of us more or less trading wins. I beat him a last time, and he changed his tag to spammer***. I changed mine to "Bitter?" and left, haha. Too bad though-- I thought we were having some fun matches.

Top Bottom