• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Poll* Have you ever been called names on FG?

Have you ever felt personally victimized by For Glory?

• Yes

Votes: 399 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 208 34.3%

• Total voters

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Finally had my first one yesterday. I've been having issues with my Wii U's wifi lately (More of my apartment neighbors have set up their wifi so I've have to fiddle with my broadcast channels and other stuff to optimize my connection. Stupid connectivity interference protocol!), and yesterday I was testing it out against a Link player who after one match pretty much gave me the gauntlet of swearing and misogynistic slurs. That guys wasn't even very good, I was able to see everything he wanted to do but had a 1-3 second delay that would eat my inputs pretty bad. I stuck around for 3 matches to make sure it was me and not some kind of internet hiccup. :glare:

Sucks because my daughter loves to watch me fight, win or lose. I had to tell her to leave because I didn't need her asking me what the words meant. Hard to have the hate speech conversation with a kid when you're wanting to reach through the screen to throttle some punk.:redface:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Finally had my first one yesterday. I've been having issues with my Wii U's wifi lately (More of my apartment neighbors have set up their wifi so I've have to fiddle with my broadcast channels and other stuff to optimize my connection. Stupid connectivity interference protocol!), and yesterday I was testing it out against a Link player who after one match pretty much gave me the gauntlet of swearing and misogynistic slurs. That guys wasn't even very good, I was able to see everything he wanted to do but had a 1-3 second delay that would eat my inputs pretty bad. I stuck around for 3 matches to make sure it was me and not some kind of internet hiccup. :glare:

Sucks because my daughter loves to watch me fight, win or lose. I had to tell her to leave because I didn't need her asking me what the words meant. Hard to have the hate speech conversation with a kid when you're wanting to reach through the screen to throttle some punk.:redface:
10 / 10 best dad. I genuinely felt heartwarmed reading this. :3

For the record, I usually use the tags "GG!", "^_^", "SORRY" and "ADDME!" when playing online~

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
10 / 10 best dad. I genuinely felt heartwarmed reading this. :3

For the record, I usually use the tags "GG!", "^_^", "SORRY" and "ADDME!" when playing online~
I've been tempted to make a few tags for goodbyes, apologies for issues with internet and such myself. I haven't because my Wii U does get used for family functions all the time and most of them have their own tags. I'd not want to use up all the spaces. I really should look into how many tags are allowed. :ohwell:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I used to play FG on the 3DS version, but then I stopped due to most of the players being too easy for me, however I haven't been called names on that. Worst I got out of that were teabaggers I guess. I've moved on to Smash Ladder and I've only been called names once by one player, his taunts had the messages "U Suck" and "Noob". I retaliated by beating him in the ranked match and taunting him back with my "Is that all?" after a kill (no, not ZSS :p).

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I used to play FG on the 3DS version, but then I stopped due to most of the players being too easy for me, however I haven't been called names on that. Worst I got out of that were teabaggers I guess. I've moved on to Smash Ladder and I've only been called names once by one player, his taunts had the messages "U Suck" and "Noob". I retaliated by beating him in the ranked match and taunting him back with my "Is that all?" after a kill (no, not ZSS :p).
I don't think it's possible to change tags between matches for the 3DS. I haven't see the functionality for it during the online mode.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Found a second salty name-caller today, I played two more games until I got a chance to Bowsercide him, did so, and left on that note.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I beat a spammy Link player once who changed his name to BRANDONSUX and U R AN****R (not exactly sure, but I'm pretty sure it was the same person in this picture posted by a completely different person). I also fought a Ness who spammed PK-Fire then changed his name to lololol and immediately left.
How can someone call you names on for glory their is no chat
By changing your name that appears over your head.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I've been called a noob/loser, after me and my opponent went one for one. I was playing Shulk too, and my Shulk is trash... I won the first match, but the 2nd match he picked Diddy, clearly to win, and he did. He just left right afterwards.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
I was greeted with a "USOCOOLM8" one time after winning, which I returned with a "So salty!". The person left after that. :p

While no one's called me anything extreme, I find it amusing when keyboard warriors do this. I have witnessed one person be on the receiving end of an insult. I usually leave if that happens.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have been told some useful things in For Glory, I should add. People will, on occasion, change their name in order to critique your playstyle or tell you areas that need improvement.

I usually stick around when that happens. If they're going out of their way to help me, I'm willing to hear them out.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Can't say I've ever felt victimized but I got called "WEEB" and "SPAM" before

TriforceOfWisdom

Smash Master
NNID
HeroOfHyrule1
3DS FC
2922-0198-5811
Same thing as a few other people; I got someone once with the name "USUCK" after a few rounds of me winning. After accepting his defeat (I assume), he just named himself "LOL". I wasn't offended, didn't take it seriously. Just another one of those people who can't accept defeat and has to resort to using names.

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Been called a certain racial slur. Pretty sad how easy it is to bypass the censors but it's funny how salty these guys get.

El_Mariachi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Marvinho
One time I beat a Game and Watch player and after the match he called me a "Tier Noob." I put my tag as "Salty" and then proceeded to wreck him with Captain Facon's knee for a few more matches and he left. Another time I played another Game and Watch player and he called me a "Grab Spam" after the match.

LF2K

Floor Diver
For Glory can have more salt than all of Earth's oceans at times. :p

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Yeah I'm just gonna say it, but suck it up. The whole "my feelings trump all rights" stuff that has polluted the modern first world has got to stop. People will say nasty things about you no matter where you go or who you are. Just learn to deal with it.

If you're having people repeatedly calling you out on something, maybe it's you that is the problem? Regardless of the "hurr play to win" crowd, people are playing the game to have fun. Not get timed out.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm just gonna say it, but suck it up. The whole "my feelings trump all rights" stuff that has polluted the modern first world has got to stop. People will say nasty things about you no matter where you go or who you are. Just learn to deal with it.
From what I've seen, the people in this thread aren't complaining about getting called names. They're laughing about it.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664

If you're having people repeatedly calling you out on something, maybe it's you that is the problem? Regardless of the "hurr play to win" crowd, people are playing the game to have fun. Not get timed out.
From what I've seen, the people in this thread aren't complaining about getting called names. They're laughing about it.
Get called a racial or homophobic slur.
"Just get over it"

Okay.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Was recently called "BAD" by a Sonic after beating him with my *rusty* Peach while I switched to Mega Man. Proceeded to beat his Marth (laggy match, mind), and LeafStooled his Falcon. And keep in mind his Sonic was nothing special. :p

He was probably salty.

SuperMarioman11

Smash Rookie
NNID
fQuantum
3DS FC
3265-6396-2357
Out of about 350 matches, I've been called names about 200 times, most of the being typical ones like ****** or f***fade, but I have been called some veeeeery interesting things, such as penifag.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Get called a racial or homophobic slur.
"Just get over it"

Okay.
That's exactly what I'm saying, actually. Words only have power that you give to them yourself. I am an advocate of free speech in any form. No matter what people would say about me I would never do anything to try to stop them from being able to say what they want. People who are interested in thought-police are the same people who get offended by "names" and it really grinds my gears the wrong way.

Laughter is a common way of dealing with grief. If it realized how insignificant it was, they wouldn't even consider making a thread about it.

ArcadiaPerson

Smash Rookie
That's exactly what I'm saying, actually. Words only have power that you give to them yourself. I am an advocate of free speech in any form. No matter what people would say about me I would never do anything to try to stop them from being able to say what they want. People who are interested in thought-police are the same people who get offended by "names" and it really grinds my gears the wrong way.
Literally nobody was trying to stop anyone from saying what they want. Ironically, you are the only person in this topic trying to get anyone to stop saying stuff.

Apparently insulting someone is fine, but calling some one out on their insults is off limits? Haha

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
On team battle some bowser player got really salty after me and who ever I was partnered with won 5 times in a row. So he said I was bad at Smash". After beating him a few more times he changed to Still Bad. In the end I replyed thanks bruh and left. He went to the extent of buging me on miiverse so I just blocked him.
Why are so many people salty on FG? I don't whine in front of their face on a tagline if I lose. No matter how much sodium builds up.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman

Laughter is a common way of dealing with grief. If it realized how insignificant it was, they wouldn't even consider making a thread about it.
I don't even know where to start. There are so many things wrong with this post. An advocate of free speech, telling people to stop complaining? People grieving over being called a "scrub" online? I'm having trouble taking you seriously.

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
Bruh, this thread is too funny man. I use to get mad at that ****, but then I thought about it and I realized these people are just trying to get you to fall or that **** to get wins out of pure salt.

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
I went up against a Yoshi who did nothing but egg spam, and I was just playing around with Fox, a character who I hardly use, and he barely wins. I then switch to a character I play regularly, two stock him, and then switch to Fox. One egg spammy match later he beats me and makes his tag "REKT."

The only thought I had was that he couldn't be any older than 12. I kinda chuckled at it, then annihilated him again with my main.

And there was a guy who had his name as YuriTarded which I couldn't help but laugh at.

Not really the worst I've ever received but they were definitely the funniest since most of my other stories have pretty much been touched on by this thread.

Last edited:

MrKandy

Smash Cadet
NNID
xBingox

I laughed at this a little too much.

---
Back to the topic. Out of all the FG matches I have played, no one wasted their time to insult me in some way. Honestly, just feel proud that you got someone angry enough to insult you. It means you won, even if you lost the game.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Literally nobody was trying to stop anyone from saying what they want. Ironically, you are the only person in this topic trying to get anyone to stop saying stuff.

Apparently insulting someone is fine, but calling some one out on their insults is off limits? Haha
Well you got me on the second count, I'll give you that. I overstepped my bounds somewhat, but telling people that they shouldn't complain or get hurt over names hardly qualifies as censoring. And to my credit, the OP does mention how the words are "hurtful" and "unsportsmanlike" and that he's "sick of it". So I'm not gonna give you the nobody was trying to stop people from saying things issue. My reply was intended towards to overall topic, as put forward by the OP. It wasn't directed towards any specific person that had posted in the thread. Exaggeration seems to be the flavor of the month.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
I thought I was the only one. I was whooping a guy bad and throughout the character select screen he would change his tag to "yousuck" and "urrlygay" he kept switching to little Mac during this and I just sat at ledge throwing him off.

Personally I'll use the tag GG when I'm about to disconnect from an opponent and we had good matches together, I hope they don't take it as insult I honestly meant our matches together were good.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I revoke my vote. I got hit with a UNOOB tag today. He camped the ledge with Kirby and tried to Final Cutter/Kirbycide the entire match while I was playing DH.

I got sick of throwing cans at him and dittoed him (I'm not experienced with Kirby at all) and he actually started to play. I won 3/4 and quit.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Happened again today to me. Made tags ADDME, GG, and YOURGOOD to try to compliment people/ get wiiu friends from for glory. I beat someone twice changed my names to those tags, guess he thought I was being sarcastic and changed his tag to "GAY" -_-.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Wasn't called names per se, but there was one guy who changed his name to "LOL SHEIK" after I won once, was pretty amusing.

Also had a guy change his name to something along the lines of "URGOOD" which was cool

Last edited:

izumisempai

Smash Rookie
So just now I was playing as Ganondorf against a Palutena and I won (I 2-stocked him with barely any percent, if that matters). I play Palutena a lot too so I thought maybe we could have had mirror match. Right after our second match starts, my opponent SD's twice. He changed his name to *** immediately (I changed my name to SALT? then he answers back with NO even though he was salty enough to call me out and leaves). I've been called a "*******" and a noob plenty of times, but this was just kinda weird.

Do people take offense when others play as your character? I'm not sure if the guy was just a troll or if he was actually infuriated.

*I kinda realize how unfriendly the names are so instead of leaving what they actually said, I'll leave it up to your imagination as to what they might be.

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Someone called me HOPELESS and used other tags like GETREKT or PATHETIC when they caught me trying out Charizard and screwing up. For once I was able to pull out a character I'm good with and turn it around on him twice. He left abruptly, quitting when I KOd him the 4th time,

Felt good!

Top Bottom