• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Best doubles partner for Ike

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Whenever I watch team tourneys, I always watch for moments when the fighters chain moves together into an effective offense. But when watching some other tourneys, certain teams will look more or less cohesive. That got me wondering. Who is the best partner for each character? Well, since I’m a casual Brawler, and I don’t have the expertise to judge, so why not ask the experts? I originally tried this on GameFAQs, but the users in general were immature, or not qualified to give the information. Then I remembered the specific boards on Smashboards, so I brought the poll here. So who do you think the best partner is for Ike?

Rules:

- The poll will last for a week. If it becomes popular, it may last longer.
- You may only vote for one character.
- Assume friendly fire is on.
- Assume there are no items.
- After posting your answer, give a detailed reason why you choose that character. If you don’t give viable information, your vote will not be added.
- You may ask to change your vote if you have a viable reason.
- Discussion on your choices is allowed. NO FLAMES!!!
- If you vote Pokemon Trainer, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you vote on the Pokemon Trainer poll, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you want to use videos to explain your reasoning, feel free to post them, but remember. I play this game casually, so you have to explain what parts of the video are important and why they are important.
- You may vote on multiple polls.
- If issues occur, I may add or remove rules, so be sure to review the list.

Bowser – 0
Captain Falcon – 0
Diddy King – 0
Donkey Kong – 0
Falco – 0
Fox – 0
Game & Watch – 0
Ganondorf – 0
Ice Climbers – 0
Ike – 0
Jigglypuff – 0
King Dedede – 0
Kirby – 0
Link – 0
Lucario – 1
Lucas – 0
Luigi – 0
Mario – 0
Marth – 0
Meta Knight – 0
Ness – 0
Olimar – 0
Peach – 0
Pikachu – 0
Pit – 1
Pokemon Trainer – 0
R.O.B. – 0
Samus – 0
Sheik – 0
Snake – 0
Sonic – 0
Toon Link – 0
Wario – 0
Wolf – 0
Yoshi – 0
Zelda – 0
Zero Suit Samus – 0

Replies: 3

If your vote isn’t tallied, you may have done one of the following:

- You voted for multiple people or didn’t make your answer clear
- You voted for multiple characters
- You didn’t give a good reason.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
The common strategy for a partner who is an "up close and personal" character is obviously a ranged character who can stall. Pit can stall with arrow spam (a useful tactic even though it's rather a shameful one) so Ike can get up close to smash 'em. Angel ring can provide a little bit of juggling to set up Ike for a forward smash or charged b or side b. If both Pit and Ike get smashed off the same side of a stage. They wouldn't fight each other to recover; Pit most times could wait or go to the other side below the stage (if viable) or glide or something. Pit also has two reflectors for projectiles and both have quick activation; these could protect Ike (i.e. Ike can roll, run, etc. behind Pit when he knows a projectile is heading towards them). Ike could do the same except with melee attacks w/ his counter. The best reason is their taunts: Prepare yourself! The fight is on! lol

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I could only suggest a character that I played with Ike but what about Lucario?

-He can be a great ally to have because when he gets high in damage he can be just as strong as Ike

-he has a decent recovery

-He has a projectile

-His moveset is similar in a particular way (his U-smash being able to hit all around him, his down-b being a counter, his up-b being able to curve so I think that counts for like Aether having a distorted hitbox maybe? His uair has a start-up lag but could kill if done right.)

I don't know if any of that actually counts but I am just throwing my two cent's out there.

Roager

Smash Ace
MK? he can pretty much run in, and mess with everyone's moves, while Ike just walks up and kills everything. Similarly, ZSS could work. Her paralyzer is a great opportunity for Ike to get off a slow, hard hit. Other than that, anyone with range is a good partner.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
The common strategy for a partner who is an "up close and personal" character is obviously a ranged character who can stall. Pit can stall with arrow spam (a useful tactic even though it's rather a shameful one) so Ike can get up close to smash 'em. Angel ring can provide a little bit of juggling to set up Ike for a forward smash or charged b or side b. If both Pit and Ike get smashed off the same side of a stage. They wouldn't fight each other to recover; Pit most times could wait or go to the other side below the stage (if viable) or glide or something. Pit also has two reflectors for projectiles and both have quick activation; these could protect Ike (i.e. Ike can roll, run, etc. behind Pit when he knows a projectile is heading towards them). Ike could do the same except with melee attacks w/ his counter. The best reason is their taunts: Prepare yourself! The fight is on! lol
I also agree for the reason stated above. Not to mention the Pit can serve as a decoy with his arrows forcing the opponent into different situations for an Ike player to take advantage of.

Not to mention that Pit are opposites in someways.

-Pit has projectile use
~Ike specializes in main melee combat

-Mildly quicker in terms of attack speed and mobility
~Ike is a tad bit slow (So opponents won't expect much while handling Pit)

Also, Pit can hold the opponent and rack up damage with Angel Ring while you space yourself properly enough to smash them out but out of range of your partner.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Triple D gets my vote...

1. Down Throw = Ike's Forward Smash...
2. Successful Waddle Doo = Ike's Forward Smash
3. Suck and Spit = Ike's Forward Smash

Other than that, very strong character that the opponents have to worry about also...

Melfice z

Smash Ace
oh yeah i vote for DDD all the way O_O
against another team that has no projectiles that make you flinch, spamming both their up b-s one after the other makes an effective fortress when there standing next to each other

Zake

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say Link or Toon Link.

Because of Link's range he's a great choice to back him up.

plus lets say Ike is having Trouble against a faster opponent.... Link can save the day and help Ike in Melee Combat.

Plus Ike uses Aether then they fly up in the air then.....Link WITH THE DAIR!

ownage.

or you could have Ike push opponents back, then Link shoots them to keep them back, Then Ike rushes in for the Kill!

there are more ways and strats.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Well the best partner should have.

-speed

-a good projectile

-can rack up damage

-good recovery so that if Ike dies early, you can sharestock if they're still alive

MK, Pit, and R.O.B and Sonic have most of these qualities but I had to choose one, I would have to say Pit.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I'd go with ZSS honestly, pretty rough support character that can easily weave in/out and keep people locked in place long enough for ike to let loose on someone if he's paying attention.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
My vote goes to Meta Knight, because he racks up damage easy and he can complete some moves for you and you for him. By copmleting moves I mean you could do something like full jab combo and they get propped up in the air and MK up for a shuttle loop kill pretty easy. On the other side MK will fly out to edgegaurd with Nair, Dair, or shuttle loop. Getting hit the wrong way by MK's dair when intent to edgegaurd will usually send them toward the edge and for that Ike has dtilt or eruption whichever tickles your fancy atm. Of course the obvious flaw to these 2 is that neither has projectiles. I don't find it too big a problem simply because MK and Ike have a few approach options to choose from.

In summary,
MK = Fast, dmg racking, light
Ike = Slow, KO moves, heavy

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
ZSS, paralysis (Down smash, and nb) can hit more than one person and once it hits, fsmash is gonna be the last thing you see.

__V

Smash Journeyman
ZSS or Meta-Knight. You can have your MK get them in a Tornado right into your Fsmash. With ZSS, she can stun them, and then you smash them.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
if your partner is in a high port can't you just smash them when he is grabbing someone and he gets out scott free?

I don't do many double's but would ness and lucas be good? since they seem to be in a lot of teams.

lax guy5

Smash Journeyman
I use Pit too. He can get people from any range so your team really doesn't have a weakness. Also, he's is hard to knock off the place and can get the smash ball pretty easily. That's my 2 cents.;)

Buddahmonk

Smash Cadet
luigi is a very good choice for ike, but i like falco with him better, i second falco and his tech game helps ike and he got ike's back when he pulls a lag move and is about to be punished. Falco got the air where Ike has the land. Just IMO.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Late response buuuuut:

I've had much success with D3 and Diddy with Ike because they set-up for Ike's powerful moves quite well. D3 with his waddles, chaingrab, and B move. Diddy kong with his no-lag dash attack and god-awful bananas.

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
what is wrong with you people lol, no one has said ike -.- . my vote goes for a double Ike team , believe me man , having twice the power on the field is alot better than having a lil camper -.- ,my vote is backed up by my experience me and my friend were doubling these dudes , well besides flogging them we had a good game going on , we did back to back eruptions , A smashes , and we even did a double spike ( down air )on the last remaining player , it was awesome , so Vote Ike for double team partner. just try it

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
ZSS

Ike's smash moves are a lot easier to hit with when your opponent is stunned lol.
lol yea guess ur right , but they hurt alot more when there two smashes for 1 light weight character , for example , 2 ikes and a olimar in the middle man , it kinda explains it self xD.

Iwan

Smash Ace
What about DK? His over B could be used, followed up by a forward smash from Ike.

*shrugs*

I don't know much about DK or Ike, honestly : /

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
(Toon) Link probablly...he has decent speed, some good long range attacks, and has a nice recovery. Plus he's kind of dependable, so if Ike is gone, there's someone that might win the match for you.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Okay, I see all these people suggesting a partner with a projectile, but the fact of the matter is, when you have 4 characters on stage, projectiles become widely useless. Zelda is the only character who can practically avoid her partner and hit her opponent whilst using her partner as a meat shield. Otherwise, you have expose yourself to use projectile (because you have to stand in front), or run the risk of hitting your partner (because he has to avoid it).

High level doubles = very little projectile use until the match becomes 2v1 or 1v1.

So, we then look at Ike's other weaknesses, mainly around his recovery, vulnerability to comboing and lag.

Only G&W can effectively assist Ike's recovery without hurting him via the U-Air.

Any character who is fast can break an opponent's combo. Marth, G&W, MK Sonic, ZSS, Pikachu, Fox etc... Characters who space well break combo's safer and has no lag makes them less vulnerable whilst breaking that combo. So MK, Marth, G&W and ZSS have the best bets there.

Lag is something that can worked around by various means. Some suggest DDD, because he has many moves that can combo into Ike's Smashes, particularly the F-Smash. Characters like Marth or G&W, who have short/fixed throw distances, can also do this. Wind down lag can only be covered by characters with the speed to cover Ike.

You also need a partner who can cover himself in 1v1 situations, meaning that characters with a largely favorable match-ups, are a bonus.

Essentially, G&W or Marth are his best partners, because they cover his weaknesses the best, and exploit his strengths. I personally like G&W, because of the Up-Air assisted recovery is just plain awesome.

scyther250

Smash Cadet
I've had a lot of luck using Marth as a partner. With the two Swordsmen on the field, there really isn't anywhere safe for the other team, as the two, with their disjointed hitboxes, can cover a lot of the arena at once, but with reduced risk of hitting each other, again due to the disjointed hitboxes. Plus, they're from the same series, so that's pretty cool.

Top Bottom