• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Politics Thread No. 2

What do you think will happen?

• Minority Abbott Government

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Minority Gilard Government

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Australia goes back to the polls

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I think it's very possible for a re-vote. I disagree with it in principle though.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
I don't think a revote will happen.

- The Liberals apparently screwed over independents a while back, so I don't think they'd be very willing to side with them

- There's already a few confirmed to go with Julia Gillard

I think there's a good chance she's got this.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Abbott doesn't want to reveal Treasury costings at the risk of the savings hole being an error on his own party's admission.

Abbott casts 'doom' on himself.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/they-asked--and-received-20100825-13s7b.html

"The scrapping today, however, will be over what Abbott would not agree to - the independents want his promises officially costed.

It's not surprising he is resisting this. If Treasury/Finance found holes in them - as is very likely - this would undermine not just Abbott's credibility but his pitch to the independents.

Abbott's line that the public service can't explain opposition policies as well as Coalition spokesmen (or its accountancy firm) is spurious.

The Treasury would be costing the policies, not explaining them. And it was the Coalition that set up the process of having official costing of policies in campaigns. It is impossible to avoid the conclusion that Abbott didn't want to make himself hostage to someone else's arithmetic."

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Me too! :D

... mainly cause I cbf ordering all 84 seats or w/e it was on the senate paper tho. Still, I'd have put Liberal above Labor and they won the election so it all worked out in the end. xD

Not voting on this poll because I really don't know how it works or understand the implications (aside from that pesky 3rd one).

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I don't understand this whole election thing. I thought its supposed to be based on who gets the most votes from the community? =/

But now they've just got these 3 independents in power, and i got a bad feeling they're going to make a very bad choice..

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't understand this whole election thing. I thought its supposed to be based on who gets the most votes from the community? =/

But now they've just got these 3 independents in power, and i got a bad feeling they're going to make a very bad choice..
Basically they had to have a certain number of seats to 'win' the election, but because some independants got those seats, they have to bargin with those independants to get them to join their team so they can win.

But it's not bad. those three are doing this slow, making the smart decisions, getting things that the people they represent want, which is a lot better than generic labor/liberal guy who'll just be voting yes on everything their team makes. The independants will be holding a lot of power and be able to stop the government bringing in a lot of ******** stuff.

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
Basically they had to have a certain number of seats to 'win' the election, but because some independants got those seats, they have to bargin with those independants to get them to join their team so they can win.

But it's not bad. those three are doing this slow, making the smart decisions, getting things that the people they represent want, which is a lot better than generic labor/liberal guy who'll just be voting yes on everything their team makes. The independants will be holding a lot of power and be able to stop the government bringing in a lot of ******** stuff.
Also if they put labor in power they'll be voted out of their own electorates next federal election.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Both Gillard and Abbot have shown terrible leadership skills and both are just pandering to focus groups.

AND

Both parties have terrible policies

Labor - Mining Tax, Citizens Assembly
Liberal - Removal of Marine Protection Laws, NBN Alternative

What a fail election!

Bob Brown for PM

Also No Government = Time to Loot

Splice

Smash Hero
I'm not very smart

But i quickly skimmed a paper on the train

And it was about Abott and Bishop talking bout how they got 'dis
Kept talking about shadow ministers I was confused

But i'm under the impression we have minority abbott government now... from the paper

uh, whats a shadow minister?

Zero

Smash Hero
Shadow Minister is just the Minister of a certain portfolio, but on the Opposition side rather than the Government.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
I'm not very smart

But i quickly skimmed a paper on the train

And it was about Abott and Bishop talking bout how they got 'dis
Kept talking about shadow ministers I was confused

But i'm under the impression we have minority abbott government now... from the paper

uh, whats a shadow minister?
Don't ever trust the Mx

It might be true, but just sayin'

Also the article was just about how Tony Abbott was like, "We got this in the bag, there is no way Labor can win. We're just waiting, really."

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
So where are all you 'economic rationalists?'

Tony Abbott's budget costings have been confirmed by Treasury to have somewhere between a $7 - $11 billion defecit. He did have something to hide and he lied to everyone before by trying to shift the blame -- that was a huge tactical error in respect to trust. he should have just 'fessed to the error. At least the current Labor tells you they plan to spend lots of money and knows how to count. Nothing beats a transparent government.

S.D

Smash Master
So much for Libs claims about saving 13 billion or so as compared to Labor's surplus - I think this was most telling.

Reporter: Do you endorse Tony Abbott as Lib leader

Peter Costello: Well not on economic matters.

Abbott hides behind spokespeople and has no real understanding of his own policies, that being said I think people are under the impression he knows whats up...

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Well the Coalition, overall, has no real understanding of its own budget, especially if they forgot to carry over the '7' into the billions column and blame this on a number of processing deviations.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Wait people actually trust their government_? It's all BS either way since there is no real right or left wing parties anymore and it all just comes across as **** stroking to me_ Say one thing and do another i mean at least Howard did what he said he would do even if it pissed people off_

Gillard is too busy trying to butter people up and trash talking Liberal and Abbott is too busy trying to make himself look like the cool cat and coming out the dooshbag when he messes up_ Australia needs a shake up cause politics are getting boring fast and it feels like people are losing faith in the politcal options available to them_

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Rofl, did anyone see the Liberal Party's financial spokesperson (or whatever) get interviewed on Q&A?

It was hilarious. The liberal party have no idea what they're doing.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Bsrk = that's why there was a huge swing to the Greens. Not that the Greens truly earnt all of their growth -- some of it came from voters who didn't like either party and wanted a 3rd option.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
so labour has got that good alliance with the inderpedant...
ive seen 2 reports on the matter. a very bias liberal one and a very bias labour one :/
i wish the news told me the **** what is going on... without me having to research -,-

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Politics coverage from ABC News is one of the most mainstream, least politically biased source of news and opinions. Antony Green is one of the best political analysts as well.

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/

Fairfax coverage (The Age, SMH, Brisbane Times) have a left-leaning agenda and News Corp (Herald-Sun, Sun-Herald) tend to adjust their political views to whatever is more popular and readable. The Australian makes left-leaning supporters want to gouge their eyes out.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Bsrk = that's why there was a huge swing to the Greens. Not that the Greens truly earnt all of their growth -- some of it came from voters who didn't like either party and wanted a 3rd option.
Yeah i did see that although people don't realise that The Greens are semi allied with Labour and also have some fairly questionable political views_ I still couldn't bring myself to vote Greens_

Top Bottom