• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon X and Y: Competitive Gen VI Discussion

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Breloom got nerfed, yes.

However Breloom had received two straight years of buffs and the buffs it got were pretty insane, let's be honest.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Breloom gets **** on by Venusaur (who's actually viable now imo).

Btw are there any standards to OU battles right now? Like maybe no SB Blaziken or Mega Gengar or certain hold items? I've been out of the competitive scene a little while but I'm about to IV breed a team and get back into it and didn't wanna waste time on anything I can't use or will be able to use for very long.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Lolololololoolololol Aegislash is my new favorite Pokemon

69 YOLODOLO SWAG joined.
Keiga PR joined.
Format:
Pokebank OU (beta)
Rated battle
Evasion Abilities Clause: Evasion abilities are banned
Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
HP Percentage Mod: HP is reported as percentages
69 YOLODOLO SWAG's team:Azumarill / Hydreigon / Rotom-Wash / Gengar / Landorus-Therian / Aegislash
Keiga PR's team:Ninjask / Espeon / Vaporeon / Mawile / Mr. Mime / Medicham
Timer de batalla ENCENDIDO: el jugador inactivo sera descalificado. (Solicitado por: Keiga PR)
Tienes 150 segundos para tomar una decision.
Battle between 69 YOLODOLO SWAG and Keiga PR started!

Go! Aegislash!

Keiga PR sent out Ninjask!
Aegislash floats in the air with its Air Balloon!
Turn 1

The foe's Ninjask used Protect!
The foe's Ninjask protected itself!

Aegislash used Swords Dance!
Aegislash's Attack sharply rose!

The foe's Ninjask's Speed Boost raised its Speed!
Turn 2

Aegislash used Shadow Sneak!
The foe's Ninjask lost 100% of its health!

The foe's Ninjask fainted!

Keiga PR forfeited.
Keiga PR left.
Player 2 disconnected and has a minute to reconnect!

69 YOLODOLO SWAG won the battle!
Ladder actualizandose...
69 YOLODOLO SWAG's rating: 1776 → 1789
(+13 for winning)
Keiga PR's rating: 1340 → 1331
(-9 for losing)

Player-4

See you in 25 years
venusaur was already pretty viable haha, even if only on sun teams
Lol nah if your only role is a sun team that's not that great. I just mean now in 6th gen with intro to fairies, though they suck, he's still a good check/counter with stab sludge bomb, bulk, and typing. I just feel he can be more diversely played and fit a role better in teams other than sun this gen, and with grass boost of powder immunities (spore too obv) Breloom can't touch him.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I bred a 6 IV mild hydriogon, now what moves do I teach it?

thinking darco meteor, fire blast, earthquake, dark pulse but iunno

TL?

Smash Ace
Lol nah if your only role is a sun team that's not that great. I just mean now in 6th gen with intro to fairies, though they suck, he's still a good check/counter with stab sludge bomb, bulk, and typing. I just feel he can be more diversely played and fit a role better in teams other than sun this gen, and with grass boost of powder immunities (spore too obv) Breloom can't touch him.
Ehh.. I'm not too sure about poison type for offense. A lot of the better fairy types are fairy/steel or fairy/psychic anyways. Even with one more SE for poison, grass/poison still seems to have pretty bad coverage.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
From what I've seen he's not much different from Platinum Scizor, I think he'll be one of those in the top of OU but shouldn't be banned.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I dunno why people hate Aegislash so much. Yeh it forces people to start reading and in a way it's a tad unpredictable but it's by no means a broken Pokemon, just really good at what it does. King's Shield still doesn't effect EQ and it still can't handle a lot of special fire 'mons if they can take the Shadow Sneak/Sacred Sword. It also struggles hardcore against anything with taunt (Sableye shuts it down fairly well) and it's Will-o-Wisp bait. c'mon now

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Aegislash (like Scizor) is one of those Pokemon that is definitely threatening, but manageable with proper team building.

Quite a few Pokemon like Hydreigon can actually get a free Substitute against it as long as you can properly predict the King's Shield, while other physical walls like Hippowdown, Lando-T, and Taunt Gliscor can shut it down completely.

ss118

Smash Master
... Aegislash is pretty **** tbh. Sure it gets an SD 100% of the time, but it doesn't do anything with it.

Everyone mentioned weaknesses already so I won't continue beating the horse, instead I want to mention that I think mega evolutions are pretty neat.

Mega Tyranitar is probably one of the best. You know how good DDTar in gen IV was before Platinum? Like that good. CB Azumarill hits it for like 55% with Aqua Jet.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I can't say much for Mega Tyranitar, but Assault Vest Tyranitar is pretty silly.
Tanking Focus Blasts is pretty hilarious.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
wow i haven't been here in months

i wanted to bring up an interesting question. most people right now think about which mega evolution to put on their teams and how to support them appropriately, but what if you gave two pokemon mega evolution stones and chose which to evolve depending on the situation? imagine if you had sd mega lucario and sd mega garchomp and you could choose which to try to sweep with depending on the opponent's team/game situation. if they have slower walls/rely on status to beat your team, tear them a new asshole with sub+sd chomp. if they have faster, frailer sweepers, wallbreak with regular chomp then boost/sweep with lucario.

more than two is obv a bad idea, but there might be some mega pairs that could work well together where it might be better than their ordinary hold item just because of how much of a speed/power boost megas get. mainly speed, which makes certain pokemon that get a free turn much more threatening like lucario who goes above base 110.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
can you megavolve one, let it die, then megavolve the other?

this is the only scenario that i could see it working outside of counterpicking situations

if what i said above doesn't work, then no, i wouldn't use it as it always leaves one of your pokemon being less than optimal

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
You can only mega evolve once per match.
With that said, I think it's not that good to have two mega stones on your team because no matter what one of them will be suboptimal with basically no item.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I think two Mega stones could be worthwhile, but you'd need to invest so much in building a team around it that it's probably not worth the effort.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Mawile is coming. Sub + 3 Attacks. Or even just 4 attacks. +Dugtrio.

Azumarill is going to do work. Can't wait to use him. Rain + Belly Drum + Aqua Jet.

Talonflame will be OU viable, but he requires too much dedication to make him work as a build around. Maybe glue. Great revenge killer...but hard to fit him in.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I could see some teams utilizing two mega stones to great effect. It's something I've wondered about ever since the full list had been announced.

Fact is, there's a number of Pokemon that really didn't need a mega evolution to be viable, and they would often have a viable set or two where the item was more or less gravy. I could see some teams just utilizing a couple of them with those particular sets and then choosing which to mega evolve depending on the matchup.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I could see some teams utilizing two mega stones to great effect. It's something I've wondered about ever since the full list had been announced.

Fact is, there's a number of Pokemon that really didn't need a mega evolution to be viable, and they would often have a viable set or two where the item was more or less gravy. I could see some teams just utilizing a couple of them with those particular sets and then choosing which to mega evolve depending on the matchup.
That "number" of Pokemon who don't need items is much smaller than you lead on. Also, some Pokemon don't want to run a Mega set if they don't plan to Mega evolve, or don't want to run a regular set if they do plan to Mega evolve.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Yeah, I wouldn't want to have a Lucario with a mega stone not mega evolve because I used mega Tyranitar.
Now I just have this lame version of regular Lucario who's missing out on a potential Life Orb or Choice item.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I know the number is small, just like the 'some' I mentioned for the number of successful teams was meant to be small.

Lucario clearly isn't one of those I was mentioning. I don't even know why you'd mention it, given my example.

The examples I was thinking of, however slight, were Gengar (likely to get banned, but whatevs), non-choice Ttar sets, bulky SD Scizor, non-choice Garchomp sets, and RestTalk Gyarados. If you have a team that somehow includes two of any of them and you don't have a mega otherwise, then it's at least worth a consideration to run it on two of them. The added versatility of the sets could outweigh the gain from your typical item.

ss118

Smash Master
Mega Lucario sucks. It did not one shot a Mega Gengar when I got to move first because he mega evolved that turn.

><"

Using two mega stones is ok depending on the pokemon involved. I think the two best ones who are good enough to afford not using an item would be Gengar and Scizor.

Landorus-I is stupid as all get out btw. I've been using the smogon standard set(considering SE over HP Ice) and I've greatly benefited from it being on my team. My core of Scizor / Lucario / Azumarill I've been using since day one has shifted now to Landorus-I / Manaphy / Genesect. It would probably be even better if I went ahead and used rotom-w over manaphy for the full U-turn + Volt switch styled team, but I want to continue using manaphy since it's OU for a temporary period of time.

Speaking of things that are temporarily OU, has anyone found any pokemon that they think are uber? I personally don't see anything, but then again I never saw Genesect as uber last gen, so since he plays exactly the same would he continue to be?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
mega gengar is probably the only thing that really stands out to me

and i disagree on genesect, i think he's pretty uber haha

seems pretty balanced

got bodied by a mega-pinsir today >_>

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
The only potential new Ubers I see (other than Yveltal and Xerneas obvs) are Gengar and Aegislash. The more competitive XY I watch/play, the more I disagree with Steel losing its Ghost resist. Ghost has stupidly good coverage with several types now, and fitting a Ghost resist onto a team feels exactly the same as fitting a more or less requisite Dragon resist in Gen 5 did.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
There's some megas that stand out as immediately uber to me, Mega TTar and Mega Gengar at the top of the list. This isnt counting Mega Blaziken because that ****ers normal form should still be Uber >_>

Mega Luke strikes me as a Limbo mon. In theory it's absurd, SD Adaptability Close Combat literally wrecks the whole meta, but his actual moveset is pretty easily walled by something like Bulky Gyara and he's pretty easy to OHKO honestly. Maybe it's because I play sticky web on my team but he also doesnt seem to be fast enough to be a solid threat. He loses outright to any strong Scarfer with a super effective move.

I honestly feel like the most dangerous Mega in the game right now is Mega Khangaskan. Power Up Punch putting it at +2 and access to Sucker Punch is stupid. Most pokemon cant survive that, not even those that resist it. 105/100/100 defenses are nothing to scoff at either, especially when you're sitting on only one weakness.

I havent been running into too many other megas but a few are really common but dont seem that amazing. Mega Mawile will probably be OU, it's a really strong physical attacker with a great typing but it's still pretty manageable. Mega Medicham is sort of in the same boat only I feel like it could be a serious problem behind Sticky Web. Base 100 speed outspeeds pretty much everything when they're at -1 and Medicham is more than capable of OHKOing most of the meta. Still intimidate ruines that pokemon and it is slow and somewhat frail.

I've run into Mega Charizard quite a bit both X and Y. They've been somewhat bothersome but only because I dont run Stealth Rocks but honestly neither of them strike me as that great. M!Charizard X is probably the superior of the two despite M!Charizard Y having Drought and access to an instant Solar Beam. Dragon Dance is just too necessary and Charizard X does it so much better with the additional resistances and neutralities that dragon types bring.

I've been playing with Excadrill a lot recently and it seems very much not Uber in this gen. Lack of permanent sand honestly isnt his biggest problem, Trevenant/Gourgeist are his biggest problem. He has like, no answer to those pokemon. Also lack of permanent sand is very very easily rectified by Sticky Web. Base 88 Speed suddenly seems amazing when everything is at -1 haha.

Also not uber this gen: Salamence. It apparently exists in gen 6 but I havent seen one and that doesnt surprise me. It's sort of a moot pokemon currently, it's physical set is a lot less threatening as it basically cant even damage Togekiss and it's special set lacks great options and is honestly better left to Goodra or Noivern the former for it's better typing and bulk and the latter for it's better speed and movepool. I do think Mence will remain a great pokemon but it's looking less and less threatening honestly.

Also Branden, Max has been telling me you think Metagross is bad this generation? Idk what you're on man but that pokemon is bonkers. Im all about that Assault Vest Meta. Basically nothing OHKOs that beast in gen 6 but you can be damn sure it can OHKO stuff back. It is probably THE BEST user of assault vest in the game, though im heavily considering trying out Agility Weakness Policy haha.

Other Random Thoughts:

Galvantula is OU unquestionably. Sticky Web is just that good. It's bar none the best entry hazard and Galvantula is great at setting it up with that 108 speed stat. It's also not that bad of a pokemon, STAB Thunder/Bug Buzz isnt too bad and it has been surviving things I feel like it shouldnt have lol.

Doublade is too strong to be in UU. It just is. It's definitely outclassed by Aegislash in OU but SD Shadow Sneak with Eviolite is insane. 110 Attack and 150 Defense should not exist on a pokemon that still evolves and has that absurd of a typing. It will probably just go to UU right away when the tiers come out then be banned from it shortly thereafter. On that note

Aegislash is weird. Art you said it was overhyped earlier but you're definitely wrong. That pokemon is too good at setting up. The fact that it comes in in defense form is silly, but even worse, the fact that you get to stay in defense form if your opponent is faster than you before you attack is ridiculous. Thank god Taunt is a move or that pokemon would literally be broken. As it stands I see Aegislash being the core of the 6th gen meta. It's typing, stats, movepool, they're all amazing and the fact that it's immune to every trapping move is amazing.

Goodra: Is adorable. OU For sure

Talonflame: THE **** IS THIS POKEMON? Staraptor 2.0 and honestly I feel like it will end up BL simply because it's too strong for UU the same way Staraptor is. It's base attack isnt that great but access to SD and Brave Bird/Flare Blitz is not to be underestimated. The damn thing nearly OHKO'd my chomp with Brave Bird unboosted. It's worth noting that Band Talonflame is one of the best revenge killers in the game. Priority Brave Bird letting you beat Scarfers and DD Sweepers is awesome.

Trevenant/Gourgeist: What weird pokemon. I expect one, the other, or both to be OU simply on account of being basically the best bulky spin blockers in the game. They are the new DPP Rotom Formes. Access to Leech Seed+WoW is awesome and their typing is not to be underestimated.

Tyrantrum: I was using DD Tyrantrum to quite a bit of success. I actually use Expert Belt DD Tyrantrum with Strong Jaw and feign Choice early. It's a good pokemon, it feels sort of like the new DDTar. It's definitely got a lot of weaknesses but it's ability to OHKO so many common pokemon and it's 71 speed allowing it to hit a super crucial speed stat at +1 I feel like it will be OU. Definitely not the best pokemon for OU but a solid Mon. On that note

Noivern: Sort of in the same boat as Tyrantrum it feels like a pokemon easily compared to another, Hydreigon. It's weaker but has a much better speed stat and a more diverse movepool. Key resistances alongside that I could see it being solid in OU. That said it wouldnt surprise me if it fell to UU since it's not an overly powerful pokemon and there are other good options for special attacking Dragons.

Fairy Types: There are 3 Fairy types that are legitimately OU in gen 6. Klefki, Florges and Togekiss. Klefki's stats are pretty ass but it's typing is absurd and Prankster with stuff like Spikes and Dual Screens will make it OU. Florges is just, the best special dragon counter in the game and one of the best special walls period. Fairy Typing is a great special defensive typing, resisting common physical moves. Togekiss is just the best Fairy Type pokemon bar none. It's bulky as ****, it's strong and has access to an outright absurd movepool. That things jumping to the top of OU unquestionably.

Azumarill: Is not OU. Sorry Art, sorry Max, it's true. Belly Drum Aqua Jet is great and all but it's not a pokemon that can pull it off well even with the new fairy typing. It's still a strong pokemon, it's still viable and you can definitely make it work in OU, but it just dies so easily and isnt particularly dangerous honestly.

Greninja: God damn this pokemon. If it wasnt for Protean this pokemon wouldnt even matter. But it gets it. And as such it's so god damn annoying to try and counter it. STAB on everything is really freaking annoying lol. Thank god it's not super strong and has poor defenses. Still, it gets STAB on everything, even Hidden Power. As an offensive Spiker it's probably the best in the game.

Malamar: Is bad haha. I've seen it so much, everyone wants that contrary Superpower. It just isnt that good lol. It straight up folds to so many pokemon, WoW completely shuts it down, it's slow and it's typing honestly isnt that great. Still, it's a surefire counter to people with Sticky Web I guess haha.

Heliolisk: Is a really cool pokemon and I wish more people would use it. Normal/Electric is weird for a typing but interesting especially with Dry Skin. It's immune to Ghost, Water and paralysis, it's in a speed tier basically all by itself and it has a really weird movepool. Grass Knot? Surf? Dark Pulse? Sure why not. It's definitely not OU but it's a cool pokemon.

Yeah that's kinda it lol

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not in OU, but anyone think Boomburst could help Exploud any?

140 base damage + STAB with no negative side effects

ss118

Smash Master
There's some megas that stand out as immediately uber to me, Mega TTar and Mega Gengar at the top of the list. This isnt counting Mega Blaziken because that ****ers normal form should still be Uber >_>
I think M-Tyranitar being on your list interests me. Would you care going into more detail on that? Gengar I can somewhat see, but I personally don't have a problem with it other than finding a ghost resist is annoying sometimes.

Mega Luke strikes me as a Limbo mon. In theory it's absurd, SD Adaptability Close Combat literally wrecks the whole meta, but his actual moveset is pretty easily walled by something like Bulky Gyara and he's pretty easy to OHKO honestly. Maybe it's because I play sticky web on my team but he also doesnt seem to be fast enough to be a solid threat. He loses outright to any strong Scarfer with a super effective move.
Agreed. I personally don't use SD because I think it hit hard enough naturally(2HKOing Skarmory without SR with CC), but I haven;t touched it since a M-Gengar was not OHKOed by Crunch.

I honestly feel like the most dangerous Mega in the game right now is Mega Khangaskan. Power Up Punch putting it at +2 and access to Sucker Punch is stupid. Most pokemon cant survive that, not even those that resist it. 105/100/100 defenses are nothing to scoff at either, especially when you're sitting on only one weakness.
The problem is that running sucker punch as your only way to hit ghosts gets you ****ed, but not running fake out loses you a lot of utility. He just BARELY suffers enough from 4MSS to just be handleable. He just swept me twice the last day or two, though. Nonetheless, he is more than decent as I'm playing vs him and using him.

I havent been running into too many other megas but a few are really common but dont seem that amazing. Mega Mawile will probably be OU, it's a really strong physical attacker with a great typing but it's still pretty manageable. Mega Medicham is sort of in the same boat only I feel like it could be a serious problem behind Sticky Web. Base 100 speed outspeeds pretty much everything when they're at -1 and Medicham is more than capable of OHKOing most of the meta. Still intimidate ruines that pokemon and it is slow and somewhat frail.
Mega Scizor is good imo. Me and Sami theoretically think that M-Gyarados has some things going for it thanks to its new bulk and ability to hit rotom with EQ. But on the topic of sticky web I don't like it because it makes you play a 5v6 because every pokemon that uses it is terrible. Against bulky offense teams they care less about going second, stall teams couldn't care less, and finally hyper offense teams get ****ed, sure, but they get ****ed by the previous two anyway imo. There are teams that don't use hazards and don't want SR on their side, so they throw defog somewhere. When everyone was spamming Sticky Web I put it as the extra fourth move on my LO scizor, but most of the time it didn't bother me anyway.

I've run into Mega Charizard quite a bit both X and Y. They've been somewhat bothersome but only because I dont run Stealth Rocks but honestly neither of them strike me as that great. M!Charizard X is probably the superior of the two despite M!Charizard Y having Drought and access to an instant Solar Beam. Dragon Dance is just too necessary and Charizard X does it so much better with the additional resistances and neutralities that dragon types bring.
I haven't run into any LOL excpet like two of each. But yeah I think X is better[sadly] just due to the typing change and the fact that it's standard move makes it break speed tiers. STAB Flare Blitz + Outrage(Dragon claw?) too OP xD

I've been playing with Excadrill a lot recently and it seems very much not Uber in this gen. Lack of permanent sand honestly isnt his biggest problem, Trevenant/Gourgeist are his biggest problem. He has like, no answer to those pokemon. Also lack of permanent sand is very very easily rectified by Sticky Web. Base 88 Speed suddenly seems amazing when everything is at -1 haha.
I tried to make a SS abuse team using Smooth Rock Hippowdon, but honestly Excadrill has some new counters in the forms you met and he can't cover everything with 3 moves + SD, and he doesn't have enough time to just throw out moves because of weather limits. Good changes overall, he'll probably be useful as an offensive spinner as the game goes on.

Also not uber this gen: Salamence. It apparently exists in gen 6 but I havent seen one and that doesnt surprise me. It's sort of a moot pokemon currently, it's physical set is a lot less threatening as it basically cant even damage Togekiss and it's special set lacks great options and is honestly better left to Goodra or Noivern the former for it's better typing and bulk and the latter for it's better speed and movepool. I do think Mence will remain a great pokemon but it's looking less and less threatening honestly.
Salamence is not less threatening, per se, but there are enough spots to contend for him as an attacker on a team. Dragonite/ Garchomp/ Goodra/ Latios/ Noivern(?)/ other pokemon do all of his jobs better. Him and metagross should have gotten mega evolutions hahaha

Speaking of which:

Also Branden, Max has been telling me you think Metagross is bad this generation? Idk what you're on man but that pokemon is bonkers. Im all about that Assault Vest Meta. Basically nothing OHKOs that beast in gen 6 but you can be damn sure it can OHKO stuff back. It is probably THE BEST user of assault vest in the game, though im heavily considering trying out Agility Weakness Policy haha.
There are too many pokemon that cause problems for bulky offensive teams that metagross likes to be a part of, but he helps NONE in handling those particular pokemon. First one that comes to mind is Rotom and Landorus(the latter can't come into too many MMs, but more than last gen because of the base power nerf). With the nerfed explosion it's just fodder for defensive teams, and sure I guess offensive teams have trouble with Assault vest metagross... but that's all. Your team seems well designed vs those players, but I'm not sure how well it would ever handle a stall team unless they just literally don't check one of your six team members.

Galvantula is OU unquestionably. Sticky Web is just that good. It's bar none the best entry hazard and Galvantula is great at setting it up with that 108 speed stat. It's also not that bad of a pokemon, STAB Thunder/Bug Buzz isnt too bad and it has been surviving things I feel like it shouldnt have lol.
I admit it has enough offensive prowess to not be completely useless, but OU? I just don't see sticky web as that good since off the top of my head there is water, dark, ghost, FLYING priority all up in ou. Oh and normal with +2 priority. Defog also hurts it, and if it gets to the point where it really is that good then both people use it and cancel each other's out? Or we use good flying type pokemon? Don't we do that anyway? >_>

Doublade is too strong to be in UU. It just is. It's definitely outclassed by Aegislash in OU but SD Shadow Sneak with Eviolite is insane. 110 Attack and 150 Defense should not exist on a pokemon that still evolves and has that absurd of a typing. It will probably just go to UU right away when the tiers come out then be banned from it shortly thereafter.
I could agree, but I also don't really care about its UU viability[yet]. I only just learned it had 110 attack, pretty insane haha. It suffers too much from the same problems as aegislash.

Aegislash is weird. Art you said it was overhyped earlier but you're definitely wrong. That pokemon is too good at setting up. The fact that it comes in in defense form is silly, but even worse, the fact that you get to stay in defense form if your opponent is faster than you before you attack is ridiculous. Thank god Taunt is a move or that pokemon would literally be broken. As it stands I see Aegislash being the core of the 6th gen meta. It's typing, stats, movepool, they're all amazing and the fact that it's immune to every trapping move is amazing.
I even said it will always set up; and to that I say, so what? Maybe(again!) vs hyper aggressive teams it's very good, but from my experience it doesn't do anything. If it got WoW it would be broken, but without that just intimidaters **** it up, EQ ****s it up, you always get free switches on it, and Shadow Sneak isn't that powerful. I dunno, on my teams I have Landorus, Garchomp, Gyarados, Dragonite... just a few pokemon that **** it up. It's a flexible enough pokemon to stay OU, for sure. One thing I hate about it is that if you understand how pokemon works you can force 50/50's with it using King's Shield which is bull****, but it's the opponent's fault to even have that be a potential problem.

Goodra: Is adorable. OU For sure
=)

Talonflame: THE **** IS THIS POKEMON? Staraptor 2.0 and honestly I feel like it will end up BL simply because it's too strong for UU the same way Staraptor is. It's base attack isnt that great but access to SD and Brave Bird/Flare Blitz is not to be underestimated. The damn thing nearly OHKO'd my chomp with Brave Bird unboosted. It's worth noting that Band Talonflame is one of the best revenge killers in the game. Priority Brave Bird letting you beat Scarfers and DD Sweepers is awesome.
It is one of the better revenge killers in the game. You know what that's good against? Very offensive teams. Sticky Web... hmmmmm.... I wonder how you form your opinion.

Trevenant/Gourgeist: What weird pokemon. I expect one, the other, or both to be OU simply on account of being basically the best bulky spin blockers in the game. They are the new DPP Rotom Formes. Access to Leech Seed+WoW is awesome and their typing is not to be underestimated.
I've only seen these pokemon show up recently(mainly the super version of the latter), but god are they annoying. If anything they are a weird combination of Rotom and Ferrothorn. >_>

Tyrantrum: I was using DD Tyrantrum to quite a bit of success. I actually use Expert Belt DD Tyrantrum with Strong Jaw and feign Choice early. It's a good pokemon, it feels sort of like the new DDTar. It's definitely got a lot of weaknesses but it's ability to OHKO so many common pokemon and it's 71 speed allowing it to hit a super crucial speed stat at +1 I feel like it will be OU. Definitely not the best pokemon for OU but a solid Mon.
I think the amount of priority in the game hurts it, and I don't see how exactly it will get the free speed boost:btw, new DDTar is megaDDTar. Try it =D

Noivern: Sort of in the same boat as Tyrantrum it feels like a pokemon easily compared to another, Hydreigon. It's weaker but has a much better speed stat and a more diverse movepool. Key resistances alongside that I could see it being solid in OU. That said it wouldnt surprise me if it fell to UU since it's not an overly powerful pokemon and there are other good options for special attacking Dragons.
It's stats are unimpressive, but it seems to hit hard enough in practice. I'll keep an eye out on it to see if it develops.

Fairy Types: There are 3 Fairy types that are legitimately OU in gen 6. Klefki, Florges and Togekiss. Klefki's stats are pretty *** but it's typing is absurd and Prankster with stuff like Spikes and Dual Screens will make it OU. Florges is just, the best special dragon counter in the game and one of the best special walls period. Fairy Typing is a great special defensive typing, resisting common physical moves. Togekiss is just the best Fairy Type pokemon bar none. It's bulky as ****, it's strong and has access to an outright absurd movepool. That things jumping to the top of OU unquestionably.
What the **** is Florges? I actually have no idea what it is... Klefki is annoying because what you mentioned... to an annoying point. I'm scared of the day someone makes a team that actually abuses it well. Thank GOD it didn't get SR!!! Togekiss is good yeah, it really abuses Garchomp and most physical oriented dragons to force them to run SE. Me and Sami use Expert Belt Garchomp with SE =)

Azumarill: Is not OU. Sorry Art, sorry Max, it's true. Belly Drum Aqua Jet is great and all but it's not a pokemon that can pull it off well even with the new fairy typing. It's still a strong pokemon, it's still viable and you can definitely make it work in OU, but it just dies so easily and isnt particularly dangerous honestly.
Completely agree. I think if it makes OU it'll be because of a similar effect to that of gen IV electivire(oh god does that pokemon suck)

Greninja: God damn this pokemon. If it wasnt for Protean this pokemon wouldnt even matter. But it gets it. And as such it's so god damn annoying to try and counter it. STAB on everything is really freaking annoying lol. Thank god it's not super strong and has poor defenses. Still, it gets STAB on everything, even Hidden Power. As an offensive Spiker it's probably the best in the game.
It's great when it gets going, but without something offering its life first it hard a rough time getting in outside of the obvious U-turn / volt switch. I will try it as an offensive spiker sometime, though, thank you for reminding me of that option.

Malamar: Is bad haha. I've seen it so much, everyone wants that contrary Superpower. It just isnt that good lol. It straight up folds to so many pokemon, WoW completely shuts it down, it's slow and it's typing honestly isnt that great. Still, it's a surefire counter to people with Sticky Web I guess haha.
I can't wait for the release of contrary serperior, on that note. Anyway I agree, 4x U-turn weakness is available only to this and Celebi and even with defense boosts it just can't handle ****.

Heliolisk: Is a really cool pokemon and I wish more people would use it. Normal/Electric is weird for a typing but interesting especially with Dry Skin. It's immune to Ghost, Water and paralysis, it's in a speed tier basically all by itself and it has a really weird movepool. Grass Knot? Surf? Dark Pulse? Sure why not. It's definitely not OU but it's a cool pokemon.
I wouldn't know it just dies when I see it T_T

Anything else?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Im not multiquoting you because im too lazy to do it.

Florgres is a mono-Fairy with 154 base special defense and a really useable special attack stat if i remember correctly. It also gets Wish. Fear it. FEAR IT!

For M!DDtar I have been using it. It's on my team RIGHT NOW! It's why i think Mega Tar will be banned lol. It's one of only a handful of Megas that can boost it's speed and the problem is it does it too damn well. It hits a speed stat that outspeeds basically every unboosted pokemon in the game and very few things reliably OHKO it. And that's a problem because a pokemon with 164 Base Attack at +1 will OHKO pretty much everything. To put it into perspective, a LO Conkuldurr Mach Punch failed to OHKO me while my stone edge KO'd it back(don't THINK it would have been OHKO but it was at something like 70% at the time) They also should have removed sand stream as it's ability. Base 120 Special defense that goes +1 every time you switch in? No. The only respite is the fact that everyone seems to think DDTar is bad so they dont use it. Those people are what I like to refer to as "dumb"

As for sticky web and Metagross you're not seeing the potential here. For sticky web Hyper offensive obviously hates it but Bulky Offensive LOVES it, especially in a bulky vs bulky situation. A lot of bulky pokemon sit in the 70-90 base speed tiers which means with sticky web up you always get first move. Bulky DNite can not only force something out but also guarantee whatever comes in after it wont be able to get an attack off first. Excadrill doesnt rely on sand stream to sweep. I can use SPECS HYDREIGON! It also makes revenge killing easier. Scarf Chomp outspeeds Scarf Terrakion. That's a thing that happens.

Metagross is in a similar vein, it's amazing against hyper offensive but also gives you an advantage over bulky offensive. Pokemon that would normally check it, like Heatran suddenly dont. It allows you to favorably trade against things you normally wouldnt, that's not something to be underestimated. As for outright stall, no one runs that anymore dont be dumb lol. But on the real outright stall also relies heavily on entry hazards and passive damage and type advantage. But Metagross is so bulky and so strong type advantage generally isnt enough to OHKO it anymore. Also the explosion nerf isnt that bad, I can still OHKO Bulky Gyarados with it, which is more than enough for me lol.

As for Aegislash, you seem to be grossly underestimating how strong a base 150 attack stat is. Aegislash players are honestly not doing the pokemon justice right now, this is a pokemon that can literally force a switch, get a free hit with a base 150 attack stat then instantly go to base 150 defense without any dangers of taking damage. Im seeing too much "Come in, SD on the switch, Kings Shield, trade a hit and hope to OHKO" when it would be superior to Attack->Kings Shield->Guaranteed SD cus nothing OHKOs you->Shadow Sneak all the things.

Oh and for Tyrantrum, he's an interesting switch with TTar because of access to two really good abilities. No recoil on Head Smash on a pokemon with base 121 attack especially at +1 is insane. But STAB on things like Fire Fang and Crunch are also great, especially considering the buff Crunch got. I've been running DD+3 attacks and sort of changing them with the ability. Strong Jaw gets Crunch/Stone Miss/Fire Fang while Rock Head gets Head Smash/EQ/Dragon Claw. They both have their ups and downs but the important thing is how they deal with different pokemon. Certain things drop to one but not the other, and unpredictability is important in pokemon.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i'm going to second megaskahn being uber, that thing is ridonkulous, it's 3 move coverage is great (pup, normal move, and sucker punch) leaving it's 4th move to be whatever it wants, hell, if that thing is behind a substitute, good luck getting rid of it

Top Bottom