• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
Adding, whom i'll call "ash" is easily one of the worst idea's for brawl i've seen yet. Sakurai, by first glance, seems to not be giving a s h i t now. That's horribly depressing as this game is SUPPOSED to be better then both smash's before it. Fighting with pokemon? So you have a regular character that uses items no matter what even during itemless fights...oh that's cute. Except...gay. They at hal labs, are truely pushing themselves to the limit; at this point i'm convinced this is the last smash game..period.

Um...Doesn't Peach already pull out items during item-less fights?

For that matter don't Link's bomb fall in that category as well?

Edit: Edit: Nothing to see here.

Troggy

Smash Rookie
I hadn't even seen this thread yet, saw it said Pokemon Trainer, could not believe it.

Snacks will return

Smash Rookie
BAWWWWW I DIDN'T LIKE THE UPDATE THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER BAWWWWW
If you don't like the character, then don't use it. Why do you have problems getting that through your thick skull? I, for one, as do many others like this addition and will use it regardless of how many people like you and Dylan_tnga cry.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Pokemon trainer = 3 starter pokemon as FULLY PLAYABLE CHARACTERS save the down B.

They are like Zelda in Melee. But 3 full characters and not 2. He has also fixed the problem with using one form too much (Sheik. . .) by having the character be EFFECTED if you use one form for too long.

They are 3 characters, not 3 items, not 3 special attacks and not a gammick.

Maybe this will clear things up.

Wreked

Smash Lord
The thing I'm curious about the most is how Red is going to operate in the background. Obviously, he has to be able to stand on a platform, but what about stages like Pit's where the ground is constantly breaking away and changing?

The only guess I have is that Red follows his pokemon from platform to platform, but it makes me a bit concerned in regards to certain situations where the pokemon can make it to areas that the trainer can't (Ex: Long jumps/High jumps/Grabbing Ledges). Unles he is AI controlled, it might be pretty hard to sync the trainer and pokemon's movement to make sure they end up in the same place (preferrably a safe one).

Have to leave it up to Sakurai, I suppose. He knows what he's doing.

You see how PT is standing in the background away from the destructible platforms. As for staying with the pokemon, the popular theory is that a flying pokemon, probaly pidgeot, takes him to the next platform. And for the SE, he probaly just walks along with you meaning a computer controlls him so you don't have to worry about it.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Adding, whom i'll call "ash" is easily one of the worst idea's for brawl i've seen yet. Sakurai, by first glance, seems to not be giving a s h i t now. That's horribly depressing as this game is SUPPOSED to be better then both smash's before it. Fighting with pokemon? So you have a regular character that uses items no matter what even during itemless fights...oh that's cute. Except...gay. They at hal labs, are truely pushing themselves to the limit; at this point i'm convinced this is the last smash game..period.
oh no, sakurai made a unique and fun character, instead of another sword fighter. sakurai must be the worst game designer in the world DDD:

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
I think this is awesome!
Think of combos!
Think of the deep metagame!
Think of the ownage Ivysuar will delt.
Top tier recovery!(Charizard)
Top tier weight!(Ivy&char)
Top tier spped(char)!
Projectiles( Squirtle(sp?), Bulbi if it has razor leaf. )!

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Ha ha ha, oh wow.

Wreked

Smash Lord
I can't wait to see if it's necessary to use all three Pokes to be effective, or if one of them is better, and some people main Squirtle with him and some main Ivysaur etc.
Well you can't really main one pokemon because of the stamina thing. But I will try to play as squirtle and charizard alot.

fluffy

Smash Champion
wow, and i was one of the people who didnt support this thread...

i am awed

Zeela12

Smash Ace
please......Red was enough >_<
they wouldn't stoop that low....they can't.....

but AGAIN... I still stand by eveything I've ever said concerning Red...Red is now the first ever PC who actually does not fight...(does that even make sence?)

like I've said countless times...he can't fight...he used his pokemon instead ...and some way./....Sakurai found some freakish way to implement that into a charcter.....it's still centralized on the 3 pokemon..

but I WILL say....( clears throat, ready for strong words)

Sakurai found the best possible way to include Red.......which was by barely including him at all.

the 3 pokemon switching is genious......much MUCH better than Red being his own character, with his own separate moves

This was definatly the best way to include a charater, this is like Zelda-Shiek like thing, only its 3 instead of 2. Also, with Red in the background it really makes it alot more entirtaining I guess.

I wonder where Red is going to stand on at like Lylat Cruise, or that Zelda place.

Battery

Smash Rookie
If you'd asked me about playable trainers in Brawl a week or two ago, I would've shouted in rage at you about what a horrible idea it would be. However, this is actually a brilliant implementation of a simply horrendous idea. You don't really play as the trainer himself is the great part, he's just in the background and you get to play as three pretty **** awesome Pokémon characters.

Kudos to HAL/mysterious studio on making a horrible idea brilliant.

FerreTrip

Smash Cadet
This truly was a big surprise for me. I mean, sure, the actual main character of one of the games makes it in, but wow, still so very surprising. I can tell, he's gonna just be an unlockable. He seems like he'll be an itty bitty bit harder to master, with the stamina thing and all. Will you lose a life if one of his pokés ring outs, or will you have to beat all of them away? Will each one have a different moveset? Can you alt. costumes for the girl? Will he be a jerk and be alone in his victory poses, or let his team be with him? So many questions...if you think about it, PKMN Trainer could be one of the most interesting chars in the game.

And I agree with the thread starter: Mewtwo should've been heavy to begin with(nearly 300lbs? Hel-LO, Ninty??). Then he'd be worth doing all the crap to get him a LOT more. X3

krynny

Smash Cadet
i think its cool that Red will be in the background issuing commands to the pokemon according to how you are playing. thats a fun idea.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
He's only 5'7" ...That's probably between Link and Captain Falcon's height. If anything they've probably made him bigger. (unless that's what you meant :laugh:)
oops i forgot about that lol it just he seems bigger in the 3d pokemon games and in the anime but i forgot that most pokemon arent as big like charizard and other pokemon .

user_name

Smash Apprentice
I just realised something else. Ivysaur disproves all of the arguments people made against characters not being playable because they walk on 4 legs.
Yes, and Charizard disproves all the arguments people made against characters not being playable because they're large winged creatures that are good at flying. (*coughridleycough*)

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
What if everyone plays as Red? Where will they all stand, in a line? And what about levels like DK's that move? Will they all climb with the battle?

I really like this update, with the exception of the character name. He's very clearly Red; he uses the 3 starters from the 1st gen pokemon games, and you fought Red in Gold version as the last trainer fight (where he retains his 3 starter pokemon). Pokemon Trainer... is kinda impersonal.

Although I guess it could be fun pretending that you're the pokemon trainer... maybe...

fluffy

Smash Champion
What if everyone plays as Red? Where will they all stand, in a line? And what about levels like DK's that move? Will they all climb with the battle?

I really like this update, with the exception of the character name. He's very clearly Red; he uses the 3 starters from the 1st gen pokemon games, and you fought Red in Gold version as the last trainer fight (where he retains his 3 starter pokemon). Pokemon Trainer... is kinda impersonal.

Although I guess it could be fun pretending that you're the pokemon trainer... maybe...
if everyone plays as red, the pokemon would have different colors....

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Mewtwo was badly represented in Melee because he's a "tech" character when he should have been a power character.

As for the Trainer, I love this idea. This is basically a fancy version of the Zelda/Shiek deal where you'll have to keep switching to keep your pokemans from becoming too tired.

This basically forces the player to be good with all three rather than just one. Awesome, awesome idea.

Only question is, can you capture your enemies when they go over 100%? ;)

I wonder what Red does when he's eliminated in a stock match. Lights himself on fire out of shame, perhaps?

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice

i too asked my self about levels that move...
i guess we have to wait and see...
im not incredibly thrilled with this new character...
but im definitely eager to try him out just to see how he works...
this is an interesting twist...
i wonder if there will be other characters with unconventional gameplay like this one...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Maybe you'll choose like outfits, since all the Pokemon have outfits. You can be the (blue) goggle team or the (green) bandanna team or the (red) trucker hat team, etc.

Battery

Smash Rookie
Regarding Mewtwo: IMO he really seems like he's the absolute best at wielding items. Since items are banned in tournaments and the like...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
You know, the "Pokemon Trainer" character does look an awful lot like the male character (possibly Red) in the Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen games...

But I'm sure this has already been established.

Anyway, that update really took me off guard.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
O.o ..........

kk....WHY did this thread have to come back!!!! I thought it was gone, and we had seen the last of this madness......but no.....I must retourn to flame.....again....

I swear, I am so annoyed seeing these "ash for brawl" or " red for brawl", "blue for brawl" , "insert colour here for brawl" threads/posts.....they have got to be some of thee stupidest, agonizing, childish, pointless ideas I will ever consider responding to....

Whoever thinks, that out of the overly large selection of 400+ pokemon there are, that a TRAINER will be playable in brawl is DEAD wrong, and possible some of the saddest "fanboys" I have ever heard from......and many others have heard from aswell.....and I'm 100% sure what I'm about to argue, MUST have been said before, because it scares me to think there are no sane people who would have already mentioned this.

first off.....so many of these posted movesets for ...(I'll just go with red) Red, involve summoning pokemon for certain attacks.....hmmmm.....seems logical, and a good idea for gameplay to add to smash..........................................................................................
THAT'S WHY THE POKEBALL IS A FREAKING ITEM!!!!!! SO ANY CHARACTER CAN THROW ONE, AND A POKEMON APEARS!!!!!! ANY character can throw a pokeball, ANY, so how origional would it be to just be able to do that for "Red's"moves? Pretty dull......

Second....Red is not popular.....infact he's MAJORLY UNPOPULAR.....like....go to any random person....say the word "Pokemon" and what comes to mind? Well, probably things like Pickachu, Mewtwo, Meowth....because they are ACTUAL POKEMON!.....NOBODY, will ever think of "Red".....WHY, because it's just a name...a POSIBLE naem at that......it is a character, who really has no character (he just walks.....he dosn't talk- he has no personality- he dosn't battle, he let's his pokemon do that) If there's is going to be any character representing the "POKEMON" series, then wouldn't it be logical that it would be an actual "POKEMON" !!!!!.....you know....HENCE THE NAME POKEMON!

Thirdly- Now, other movesets i've seen have included moves such as punching and kicking....which brings me to another point.....WHY WOULD RED ACTUALLY BE FIGHTING?!?!? I mean.....that's kinda the point of being a pokemon trainer....YOU DO NOT FIGHT! YOU LET YOUR "POKEMON" FIGHT! YOU TEST YOUR "POKEMON'S" STRENGTH IN BATTLE! NOT YOUR OWN! so WHY! would Red actually be fighting, and getting hit? HE WOULDN'T WHEN THE TRAINER'S FREAKING BATTLE, THEY DO SO WITH .....POKEMON!!! NOT THEMSELVES!........Even at the begining of each frickon game.....the "Professer" always says the same stupid thing "oh, don't step in the grass, you might be attacked, you need to have pokemon to battle with first" ........ why would he say this, unless the trainers could f'n fight for themselves......:mad:

Red WOULD NOT IN THE LEAST BE ANY FORM OF "GOOD" REPRESENTATION FOR BRAWL! If there will be representation for "Pokemon" it WILL BE A "POKEMON" why? BECAUSE THE GAME IS ABOUT """POKEMON"""! He would also be bad representation, because when poeple see him/play as him, they will think it is so incredible lame & unbearably stupid, the Pokemon franchise would be leaving a bad image for itself

:mad: so there, once again I had to respond to this POS idea of trainers in brawl....and, As Iv'e said on other "Red flamming occasions" ( a fellow smasher once said) " unless he is the alternate costume for the sandbag in the homerun contest, then there is NO good reason for him to be in Brawl" ....

PS: It's not often I make longer posts about things, because I am somewhat of a dyslexic (though I think i've come quite a long way, I DO try to catch my errors, and have become fairly good with a keyboard).....so if anyone tries to BS my points due to my spelling errors, then A: your getting personal, and B: It's a lousy excuse in the first place
Give me a O
Give me a W
Give me a N
Give me a E
Give me a D

What does that spell!?

Top Bottom