• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Arteen

Smash Lord
Why make the female equivilant to an already totally un-needed character?
There would be no point to it. But since Pokemon Trainer isn't a totally un-needed character, I think it would be a neat idea. I think it would be cool to have alternate character models for Trainer, instead of just recolors. I'd like to be able to select between male Red, female Red, Blue, and maybe some Kanto gym leaders or various other trainers in the original games (and remakes).

Besides, it wouldn't be that much work. They would just need to make a few more character models, texture and UV them, then rig them. They could all use the same rig and animations, or at least slightly tweaked ones. I suspect that Trainer will only have a few animations, so they could easily tweak a few animations for each version. And since the character name is "Pokemon Trainer," there isn't anything odd about using characters other than Red (unlike with the Daisy costume being referred to as Peach, which isn't a big deal regardless).

Sinn

Smash Lord
There would be no point to it. But since Pokemon Trainer isn't a totally un-needed character, I think it would be a neat idea. I think it would be cool to have alternate character models for Trainer, instead of just recolors. I'd like to be able to select between male Red, female Red, Blue, and maybe some Kanto gym leaders or various other trainers in the original games (and remakes).

Besides, it wouldn't be that much work. They would just need to make a few more character models, texture and UV them, then rig them. They could all use the same rig and animations, or at least slightly tweaked ones. I suspect that Trainer will only have a few animations, so they could easily tweak a few animations for each version. And since the character name is "Pokemon Trainer," there isn't anything odd about using characters other than Red (unlike with the Daisy costume being referred to as Peach, which isn't a big deal regardless).
You stole what I was going to say D= Well kinda. Some of it at least.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
How is the Pokemon Trainer an un-needed character? He's the main character of the games.
By "the games" i presume you mean JUST the pokemon games. Well, in that case, you're right. But that doesn't make him a necessity for brawl. As a creative idea, he's set; but as a pemanent character slot...i think that's just a bad judgement call. Can't have the main hero from EVERY game be in brawl...then it'd be just a little kid fest loving the diversity and then finding out that my gannon would still kill all their hopes and dreams with many solid meteor smashes. lol

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
By "the games" i presume you mean JUST the pokemon games. Well, in that case, you're right. But that doesn't make him a necessity for brawl. As a creative idea, he's set; but as a pemanent character slot...i think that's just a bad judgement call. Can't have the main hero from EVERY game be in brawl...then it'd be just a little kid fest loving the diversity and then finding out that my gannon would still kill all their hopes and dreams with many solid meteor smashes. lol
Pokemon is Nintendo's second most lucrative franchise. Chances are, we'll have the main characters from every FIRST PARTY Nintendo games. It's Nintendo's All Stars after all. Whether you like him or not. Gannon killing everyone with a single blow wouldn't happen. Sakurai said that in this game he'd like to stress "balance." Don't be surpised if some of the characters like Ness and Kirby are fixed to be competetive this time around.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I would totally main Kirby again just for the sake of all the hats. I love Kirby games. Gimmie something like the plasma ability from Superstar and I will OWN.

Though with the huge expanded roster, I may have to get good with half of them just so I can main everyone I want D= PT was the first new character that I said to myself, "I HAVE TO TRY YOU!"

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
I would totally main Kirby again just for the sake of all the hats. I love Kirby games. Gimmie something like the plasma ability from Superstar and I will OWN.

Though with the huge expanded roster, I may have to get good with half of them just so I can main everyone I want D= PT was the first new character that I said to myself, "I HAVE TO TRY YOU!"
I know how you feel. I want to try out every character and I'm having a hard time deciding who I'm gonna like best. And they haven't even revealed everyone yet. It's shaping up to be more awesome than I thought.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon is Nintendo's second most lucrative franchise. Chances are, we'll have the main characters from every FIRST PARTY Nintendo games. It's Nintendo's All Stars after all. Whether you like him or not. Gannon killing everyone with a single blow wouldn't happen. Sakurai said that in this game he'd like to stress "balance." Don't be surpised if some of the characters like Ness and Kirby are fixed to be competetive this time around.
You do realize what you're saying right? We'd have too many characters to actually pick from if indeed you were right about "every" first party nintendo game. Kirby wasn't broken...just pathetic. Ness...i'll give to you was astonishingly weakened from the first smash to melee, but they couldn't really give him, imo, any more power then what he had otherwise being 1. in the "cheap" range or 2. A mewtwo wanna-be.

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
Let me rephrase that. Popular first party characters that have earned a spot. It's safe to say that being the top selling game for the Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and perhaps even the DS (Time will tell) I think Pokemon Trainer has has earned his spot.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
Let me rephrase that. Popular first party characters that have earned a spot. It's safe to say that being the top selling game for the Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and perhaps even the DS (Time will tell) I think Pokemon Trainer has has earned his spot.
If by "earned" you mean "sold" his way to the spot. He doesn't "deserve" anything. The trainer and brawl should've never crossed. I almost think he was added just to get some money for the game (like it won't already) but it's a sellout maneuver.

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
If by "earned" you mean "sold" his way to the spot. He doesn't "deserve" anything. The trainer and brawl should've never crossed. I almost think he was added just to get some money for the game (like it won't already) but it's a sellout maneuver.
Of course he earned it. A game sells if it's good. People like Pokemon, people play Pokemon, so why not have him in? He's even a pop culture icon. If some fourty-something soccer mom walks by and sees their child playing they'll know who the guy is. Can you say the same for Samus? I'm sure they don't even know she's a female. Pokemon Trainer is the main character of Pokemon. Nintendo can't sell out by putting in thier own characters. Putting third party characters would be selling out, but I don't mind. Why? Cause I'm going to buy the game regardless. And so will you.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Dunno how much has been posted about alternate costumes here. I saw another thread that focused on the trainer, but what about the Pokemon themselves?

In the past, Pokemon usually just get headgear to tell them apart, but Charizard is too big for that to be enough to distinguish him and it wouldn't quite work for Ivysaur either.

One of the possible color schemes, in my hopeful opinion, would be the shiny colors (for those unfamiliar with the Pokemon series, when you run into a Pokemon there's a very slim chance that it uses a second color scheme, instead of the primary one). If so, this would mean one very awesome thing.

BLACK CHARIZARD. Or grayish, if you need to call it that.

The shiny recolor doesn't affect most of the others as much (most noticeable for Ivysaur and Mewtwo). Here's Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo. Charizard is the one that stands out most. Notice that both of Mewtwo's colors were used in Melee, even if it was minor changes. Also, Pikachu does change shades a bit in Melee. With Pokemon in the middle of a popularity resurgence, there's a decent chance they'll pull more material from it, and shiny Pokemon are quite popular.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Well, I'm sure Sakurai won't shy away from a bit of artistic license with the Pokemon colors. Shiny colors are a given, but it probably wouldn't offend the original designer too much if, say, Squirtle's shell and Ivysaur's bud got a different color along with slightly changed skin color hues. Charizard is a little harder to distinguish him... maybe give him blue fire for his tail, for example?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Making the colors only somewhat different will make it hard to tell the Pokemon apart.......... on the other hand, it's not such a big problem with the PT, since he's actually three characters in one, three characters which have to be switched in or out at some point. Chances are that two of the same Pokemon won't be out simultaneously for a long time, so it's not as big a deal as with other characters.

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
the thing is they can't really change pkmn's colors to completely different ones, like in the pkmn stadium games the pkmn you nick name change their colors a lil with different shades, they didn't go completely from blue to red, so this is a challenge to make them look ok instead of odd by changing their colors.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
I say Shiny forms and some accessories.
By the way, Gannondorf the Fifth(which is misspelled, there's only one N in Ganondorf) Red deserves to be in Brawl more than Juggernaut, the comic book character.

Sinn

Smash Lord
They never had a problem with alternate colors for Pikachu or Jigglypuff. I don't see it being much of an issue for the trainers' Pokémon either.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I say Shiny forms and some accessories.
By the way, Gannondorf the Fifth(which is misspelled, there's only one N in Ganondorf) Red deserves to be in Brawl more than Juggernaut, the comic book character.
hey can i use your sig i have seen some other people with it

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
I'd love to have that Awesome Tiger -Stripped Charizard from the First movie. They could Tiger stripe Squirtle and Ivysaur too..even though in the movie it was Blastoise and Venusaur.

Also Squirtle should get his sunglasses in an alternate costume. I know it isn't Ash.. but Squirtle looks awesome in those sunglasses.

For the trainer himself, Having the Hoenn, Sinnoh and Johto Trainers outfits would be cool. Changing his sex wouldn't work that well for me. I am not being sexist..but it'd be weird.. especially if he says something when he wins..

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I'd love to have that Awesome Tiger -Stripped Charizard from the First movie. They could Tiger stripe Squirtle and Ivysaur too..even though in the movie it was Blastoise and Venusaur.

Also Squirtle should get his sunglasses in an alternate costume. I know it isn't Ash.. but Squirtle looks awesome in those sunglasses.
nice ideas!:chuckle:

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
hey can i use your sig i have seen some other people with it
Sure, though I didn't make it. I saw it on this thread, so search through all the pages after 19 and you'll find it. But check 19 anyway... The first post after Red's confirmation is friggin' hilarious.

MysticKenji

Smash Master

For the trainer himself, Having the Hoenn, Sinnoh and Johto Trainers outfits would be cool. Changing his sex wouldn't work that well for me. I am not being sexist..but it'd be weird.. especially if he says something when he wins..
Tiger stripes are cool. They might be able to work

- EPIC MATCH

And Red is a silent protaganist, so he doesn't speak at all.

Sinn

Smash Lord
With regards to the results screen...do you think PT will have all of his creatures posing with him, or only the one that was active when the match ended?

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Er, this HAS been brought up. Sorry. I posted something about Squirtle's blue shell in one of the pics, but as someone pointed out earlier in the thread when I actually went back to look, it was his tail.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The blue on the first picture is Squirtle's tail.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
With regards to the results screen...do you think PT will have all of his creatures posing with him, or only the one that was active when the match ended?
I'm going to say that he'll have whatever Pokemon was out last when he wins the match. Melee had 3 different winning poses, right? So that'll fit with Red.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to say that he'll have whatever Pokemon was out last when he wins the match. Melee had 3 different winning poses, right? So that'll fit with Red.
...yeah, but they were random...

Maybe the pokemon alone or with the trainer...

I mean Shiek did have 3 and Zelda had 3

Top Bottom