• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer Has Something Up His Sleeve

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
This is a warning to all Falcos out there facing any Pokemon Trainer's Squirtle. Sure, there is a Utilt lock Squirtle can get on Falco, BUT:

If the Squirtle grabs you off the edge and releases you, he will drop down with you and footstool, and there will be NOTHING you can do about it. It will gimp. Sure, this seems hard to do in the first place, but hydro grabbing makes it easier to achieve.

Larry, Typh wanted this to be a secret but a little birdy told me so I'm telling everyone. lololol

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
larry already saw it on saturday when i showed him and everyone else at UCLA, and when I did it against hugs in a tournament match :p

get ***** falco

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
CG > Spike.

Get ***** Pokémon Trainer.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Lots of gay, if impractical footstool things lately...

Purple

Hi guys!
Well. That's one stock. I would assume that no one would be dumb enough to do this twice or three times in a row. I'm sure marth's cg to spike death is worse than this.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
You shouldn't be chilling near the edge against Squirtle anyway. That's just asking to get knocked off and gimped. You might get forced there every once in a while, but definitely not enough to change the match-up.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
PT shouldn't have anything up his sleeve. you can chainthrow, spike, footstool (or grab ledge) charizard, you can chainthrow, spike grab ledge ivysaur, and similar with squirtle.

Moozle

Smash Champion
You shouldn't be chilling near the edge against Squirtle anyway. That's just asking to get knocked off and gimped. You might get forced there every once in a while, but definitely not enough to change the match-up.
Hydrograbbing can let you slide almost half of FD, which (most of the time) will bring you to the ledge. I agree that this wont be effective more than once very often, but if the player is bad at adjusting their playstyle then punishing them with this will be great :p

Vermy

Smash Champion
Cg>spike doesn't work 100% of the time. I'm sure you've all seen the videos of Reflex vs Kismet.
Anyone (with the exception of maybe a few larger characters) can DI out of the way of the spike. And if it hits, we can just DI towards the stage and tech.
And again, there is such thing called meteor cancelling.

kismet2

Smash Ace
PT shouldn't have anything up his sleeve. you can chainthrow, spike, footstool (or grab ledge) charizard, you can chainthrow, spike grab ledge ivysaur, and similar with squirtle.
So I'm guessing that you never played Reflex? And you would have to get the grab off to be able to spike and it's not even a guaranteed stock off of Squirtle and Charizard.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
So I'm guessing that you never played Reflex? And you would have to get the grab off to be able to spike and it's not even a guaranteed stock off of Squirtle and Charizard.
that is correct. the only PT i have tested this on is chuck nasty. he is also a well known PT, but only to the online world. And it is true its very hard to get the grab initially (especially on squirtle). its not like there are alot of PT's you know? at least where i live around

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
vids please. I'm trying to picture how this happens but it's not working.
This is what you want. Check at 0:43 or so.

Squirtle's grab release animation finishes on frame 29, which usually gives him a free single jab, but when you hydrograb someone to the edge, the momentum stays there, so when you break out, you both fall off. In that one frame, Squirtle is perfectly positioned to footstool Falco, making for a potentially-easy gimp on most stages.

A hydrograb to the edge is pretty practical, I'd say. It's something I would worry about, even if Pokemon Trainer isn't the best character in the world.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
with the %'s of falco and squirtle at that time, you think the falco would be in the middle of the stage, not the edge. oh well.

kismet2

Smash Ace
that is correct. the only PT i have tested this on is chuck nasty. he is also a well known PT, but only to the online world. And it is true its very hard to get the grab initially (especially on squirtle). its not like there are alot of PT's you know? at least where i live around
Yeah but you made the match up seem so simple when it's clearly not. That list of stuff that you named would probably only work on Chuck Nasty. But I guess I shouldn't question your methods if they're working for you. If you want good PT experience, you should be playing Reflex, if he's ever in your area/same tournament or whatever.

Footstooling isn't really practical and besides they can DI towards the stage to prevent from being spiked off the stage. Charizard has two jumps in the air and an up b that goes pretty far so ledge grabbing is out of the question.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
Yeah but you made the match up seem so simple when it's clearly not. That list of stuff that you named would probably only work on Chuck Nasty. But I guess I shouldn't question your methods if they're working for you. If you want good PT experience, you should be playing Reflex, if he's ever in your area/same tournament or whatever.

Footstooling isn't really practical and besides they can DI towards the stage to prevent from being spiked off the stage. Charizard has two jumps in the air and an up b that goes pretty far so ledge grabbing is out of the question.
The OP gave a simple problem, I gave a simple solution. I don't know what you want from me. as with squirtles footstooling, this wont work 100% of the time. And I probably should play reflex, as chuck has given up this game for, "left for dead".

And you're right, foot stooling isn't really practical. Which is why I particularly won't worry about squirtles, this combo would only work around probably 0-25%. Else, you would go a bit farther to the side in that video than down. a falco like mine wouldn't be anywhere around the edge of the stage at those %'s anyway, but hey that's just me.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Fyi, a hydrograb can grab you from about the middle of smashville/battlefield, slide and take you to the edge. Standing near the edge, while it makes it easier is not a factor here.

kismet2

Smash Ace
The OP gave a simple problem, I gave a simple solution. I don't know what you want from me. as with squirtles footstooling, this wont work 100% of the time. And I probably should play reflex, as chuck has given up this game for, "left for dead".

And you're right, foot stooling isn't really practical. Which is why I particularly won't worry about squirtles, this combo would only work around probably 0-25%. Else, you would go a bit farther to the side in that video than down. a falco like mine wouldn't be anywhere around the edge of the stage at those %'s anyway, but hey that's just me.
Fyi, a hydrograb can grab you from about the middle of smashville/battlefield, slide and take you to the edge. Standing near the edge, while it makes it easier is not a factor here.
How about camping on platforms? And you shouldn't be the near ledge to begin with because that's a bad position for Falco. What I want is answers considering high levels of play, you're not going to play complete scrubs at every tournament you go to and when the time comes you play an excellent player simple methods won't work.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
How about camping on platforms? And you shouldn't be the near ledge to begin with because that's a bad position for Falco. What I want is answers considering high levels of play, you're not going to play complete scrubs at every tournament you go to and when the time comes you play an excellent player simple methods won't work.
This is how everyone should think.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Since this will work at all percents considering it is a grab release tech, it seems like a very dangerous thing for falco
EXCEPT
that I'm pretty **** sure you can survive this, don't use your 2nd jump until after you get footstooled, then use a backward facing firebird.

THIS IS NOT AN AUTO-GIMP

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
You're right. I figured FS 5 didn't have such things. I also didn't consider chuck nasty to be a scrub since he is considered top 5 in our power rankings.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Since this will work at all percents considering it is a grab release tech, it seems like a very dangerous thing for falco
EXCEPT
that I'm pretty **** sure you can survive this, don't use your 2nd jump until after you get footstooled, then use a backward facing firebird.

THIS IS NOT AN AUTO-GIMP
I agree with you totally. If you don't panic, and save your second jump, you have a much better chance at surviving. Nevertheless, it puts falco in a VERY unfavourable position. Edgehog or water gun gimp may end it for you, but its not the "death grab" people seem to be mistaking it for. Its also not just good against falco, it works on anyone who doesn't have decent vertical height in their upB.
Not every PT main can do this AT. The mechanics are still being worked out, so there's much more to learn. We don't just have the option to footstool. We can attack with whatever aerial we want. Footstool just seems to be the smartest choice.

kismet2

Smash Ace
You're right. I figured FS 5 didn't have such things. I also didn't consider chuck nasty to be a scrub since he is considered top 5 in our power rankings.
Power rankings don't measure one's skill level. It just shows who goes to tournaments and who doesn't. It may give you a general idea of who has some skill but there's no way to determine that the person is zomg good from looking at power rankings. I wasn't implying that Chuck Nasty was a scrub, I was saying that you're giving simple solutions when it doesn't work like that.

This is how everyone should think.
Inorite? But some don't and it's a shame.

Top Bottom